Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private Deep Science 1x1 with Blitz Boom

Illiad Easle

@Illiad Easle

(Ardee)

On 2023-04-17 at 4:54 AM, Illiad Easle said:

She nodded, a bit relieved that Null didn't seem to be angry at her, or think that it was particularly dangerous if she wanted to go see it. "Alright, I can lead the way back." She'd pause at the doorway before setting her bow down, "They probably wouldn't want me going out armed, right?"

"These days? Who knows? Best to leave it though. This place should have enough security to deal with things."

She'd wander in front, going for where the theater were, and not getting stopped as she did so. Just good in her mind. Meant she'd have to waste less time on frivolous chitter chatter, with beings whom if they remembered her from the last time she were here, might not have a lot of good to say. Had to have been some who made the connection between her going missing, and Grey Mane dying, even if were just guesswork, and she didn't much care to have that discussion out in the open Ideally not at all.

When they got to the theater, the performance were still going. And the look when they got in...

The kitsune stood up on stage, his real tail swaying, while the ones he made from magic, went along the odd contraption in front of him, whirring, sliding, pushing- His paws followed troop, and he seemed to just follow along with the beat, and the lights.

And there sure were a bunch of lights. Magic combined with some music and direction, made all sorts of things go on through the room, while somewhat odd-sounding club music were going on. It had the usual noise you'd expect, but also some twang, and actual music to it, instead of just a dull, annoyingly loud thumping sound. Honestly sounded like someone found a way to play a traditional Neighponese tune, on a DJ podium., and added some lights to it.

The audience seemed well into it, dancing and swaying along, loudly wooing and clapping. A fair bit seemed to be at least a little tipsy, but that were not something the kitsune judged for, as he gazed over the room.

Truth be told, most of the things on his large board, were not really needed for the music. That sort were controlled in the middle. The rest were making sure that the contraptions in the room worked like he wanted them to, sot hat they'd give the lightshow that he wanted them to.

Currently, it seemed like he were showing various constellations, gathering into figures like ponies on a sleigh, griffons soaring with bows and arrows, or as were the case when they got in, a mighty dragon, swooping across the room.

The light were utterly harmless, so they didn't need to worry. They also looked more fantastical, and stellar than the real deal, to make sure that it were seen more as an artistic thing.

Null halted, as she opened the door and saw this, then raised an eyebrow, quite baffled by what she were seeing. She'd still wander in though, yet stayed near the walls, to avoid being trampled. Not before saying something to Arcade and Ardee though.

"That's a kitsune alright, for better or worse."

About four to five minutes after they showed, the stars would start to swirl inward, gathering up for a grand finally, of an explosion of dazzling, glittering light, followed by the main lights of the room turning on, and the kitsune halting the music.

"Had a good time?"

He'd stand up on the podium, as the magical tails fell down and vanished in unison. A good deal of magic, just for some flair, but he didn't care, as he heard the roaring cheer of the audience. How he loved this. Made the hairs of his tail puff up with joy.

"That's what I like to hear! Now my time's over, but tune in for the next act, and until next time: Thanks for joining me."

More cheering, and the hall would slowly start to empty out. Thought he kitsune would stay on stage, yet have a sit. He still had the adrenaline going, but he needed a break here. This stuff were fun, but tiring. And he still needed to sign some autographs it seemed, by the line of about seven creatures that had lined up in the right area. The life of a performer were hard, but one did not do for a fan, yeah?

Void in the meantime, nodded to her companions, and pointed towards the line.

"We'll go to the back of that one, then start asking things, when we're the last ones there. Might as well get to learn some concrete things while we're here, and figure out how one of those, ends up all the way out here, of all places."

As for how Kozue dealt with the fans? Nicely. He'd be jovial, grinning, and signing what paper they brought up, thrilled to be getting the attention and adoration. He'd also chatter a bit with folks, but they did not stay long. They had things to do after all. Like gambling, and after all this movement, going to the buffet

=======================================================================

(School)

Blackwater... Cherish's smile faltered slightly, as she heard that name. That's where she had meant to go with her parents, after they had been evacuated, before things... Before it all went horribly, horribly wrong.

She'd force a smile back on her face as the talk went on from there, and just... Tried to bury the bad memories again, as they had begun to poke their ugly heads forth. She'd look calmer and more pleased on the outside though, than she currently did on the inside. Hopefully the others kept focus on Gypsum, as she did, instead of looking at her...

On 2023-04-17 at 4:54 AM, Illiad Easle said:

After everyone had had the chance to share Gypsum nodded, "Alright then, I think that's a good place for us to stop today. I'll see you all again tomorrow, you all have a safe trip back home!"

"Have a good day, Miss Gypsum."

Cherish would raise her hoof, and wave at Gypsum, before gathering her things, and making her way towards the outside. Seems like she hadn't needed her lunchbox this first day of school after all, with how short it had been. Oh well, lunch were still lunch. This just meant she could eat at home. Or she could maybe go and see Crow?

She were thinking about it, as she were walking out, though she were about to approach Elef again. She wanted to see if it were okay that she told Crow about him, and saw if she'd be okay seeing him sometime too. She forgot to ask earlier, and she did really think the two would get along well enough.

But as they got out, a certain dragon would turn towards them, and clear her throat. Opal had been sitting out here, waiting for the students to finish their first day, and she wanted to say something to them before they took off.

"Hi again, children. I hope you all had a good first day of school?"

She'd wait a moment to hear if they had responses, patiently waiting for whomever wished to, to say something. Cherish being one, who said that yes, she had a good first day.

"Hopefully you will have many more good days, and I look forward to when you're coming on field trips with me.

There is something though. Cherish? While you were in there, you got a visitor."

"A visitor? Did mom come to see me home? I thought she were working."

"Hmhm. No, not her. Come out now, the children won't hurt you."

Cherish were confused, but then, someone came walking in from behind Opal, and Cherish's face brightened up.

"Crow!"

CxiiWNP.jpg

She'd rush forward, and go give her friend a big hug. Crow were not that large for a dragon, but she were still about the size of a regular, adult pony. A healthy size, for a young dragoness in her teens. Crow would look down on Cherish as she were embraced, as best as the filly could, and patted a hand on her back. The dusty, tattered remains of socks with the bottom cut out, hanging on her, and her glasses having a crack on the right one, she certainly did not seem like she were that well off, or had many possessions. Due to the size of the glasses though, it were also rather clear that she did not need them to function per se, unless she were needing to read something up close.

She also had a tattoo on her left upper arm. Well, maybe a tattoo were not the right word for it, considering how it seemed to not be painted on, but carved, or burned into her scales. A branding were perhaps a better word for it.

The dragoness gazed around at the foals, cautious and weary, clearly not feeling comfortable being where she were. She felt vulnerable being in town like this. Frankly she did not even feel comfy around Opal. A larger dragon made her scales crawl, but the dragoness had noted it, and kept still, barely saying a thing, to allow Crow to have an easier time. She had spoken softly to Crow a few times though, but kept it short.

"What're you doing here? I thought you didn't like going into town."

"I don't. Snuck in, to wait for you. Town is... Dangerous. Many creatures here. Too many."

She had debated with herself a lot on whatever or not to do this, but Cherish were her only friend. She quite literally, had no one else. So she braved the town, though she also took the long way, making sure as little as possible saw her, as she snuck nearer. She even found herself a good rock to hide behind here at the school... Which then turned out to be Opal.

@Blitz Boom

(Ardee)

On 2023-04-18 at 11:02 AM, Blitz Boom said:

"We'll go to the back of that one, then start asking things, when we're the last ones there. Might as well get to learn some concrete things while we're here, and figure out how one of those, ends up all the way out here, of all places."

Now that he wasn't running straight towards her, bounding over obstacles like some hungry animal, Ardee had to admit that the kitsune did have a certain exotic charm to him. Not in any sort of romantic way of course, but rather he seemed more approachable and intriguing when he was performing.

That said, she'd still be on her guard and stay close to Null and Arcade as they waited for things to quiet down.

(School)

"Hi again, children. I hope you all had a good first day of school?"

The young ponies nodded, smiling at Opal. Lilac too was happy to see her, though Nova stood a bit closer to her than usual.

"Hmhm. No, not her. Come out now, the children won't hurt you."

Nova's expression seemed to indicate that he might, moving to stand between Lilac and Crow, despite the former's excitement to see the new creature. Lilac settled for seeing Crow from between her brother's legs as he stood protectively over her.

The rest of the class were intrigued by the new creature, but kept their distance, both out of respect to the clearly shy Crow, and just in case she turned violent.

They would linger a bit to see if anything else happened, but if Crow or Cherish didn't talk to the others they would go their separate ways. Lilac and Nova headed east towards the market and the city gates, while the young ponies would head west towards the wall where their house was.

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

(Ardee)

By the time they got to the front of the line, the kitsune were almost glowing. Seemed like he enjoyed the adoration and attention, but now came another sensation: Recognition. Seems like the mare from before had decided to show up anyway. Awesome.

"Heeey, you're back! And you brought some friends. Did you get to see the concert? Pretty cool, right?"

The little construct would jump up a few things, and end up on the surface he had been standing at, when he dealt with signing for fans. It would have followed as they left, and swayed along with the music in the corner, enjoying itself. But now it were back at its creator, who patted it on the head, causing it to give off a low purr.

"Seems like this little one's doing just fine."

"Is it dangerous?"

"What, this? It's just a little construct. These things are practically harmless. Although they sometimes like to roll around in paint or chalk, to change colors, which can weird some of you equines out."

"Good. Now what's a kitsune doing all the way out here?"

"Tough little mare, aren't you? Well, truth be told, I have no idea. Most kitsune in our part of Neighpon, that survived the initial wave, hid away in our villages, thinking we could ride it out, and hide behind the illusions and stuff that's kept us safe all this time. Then the outer villages started to get breached, and more gathered up in the main city. When we got surrounded, the elders got desperate. They got us all gathered up, and spend all their power, to try and teleport us far away. The town got razed right after that, but they got the spell off. Sort of. I think it went a little haywire, when Elder Nahro got that arrow in his eye.

Far as I can tell, it sent us all over. I got knocked out, and woke up next to the rock I hit, down in some underground, musty caves, with glowing mushrooms. I didn't escape until like a half year ago. You have any idea how mind-numbingly boring it is in a cave system like that? All alone, for over a year? Let me tell you, I could barely get happier when I finally got out, and got my paws on some real food. Freaking cave bugs and mushrooms never got better tasting.

And you? What's your deal then? Come on, only fair."

"I were frozen."

"Oof, tough gig.

Now then, You there. Have you never seen a kitsune before? You acted like I were rushing in to eat you or something earlier."

Kozue were talking to, and looking at, Ardee as he said this. He just wanted to clear the air here a bit. He weren't some sort of monster after all. He didn't eat ponies. Sure he liked meat, but ponies? urgh, disgusting. They looked all veiny and tough to chew on. Besides, you didn't eat higher sentience beings. That stuff were messed up.

=================================================================

(School)

Crow would see the elder bat pony, tower over the smaller one. She guessed they were siblings or something, since he seemed protective. Her gaze about that were almost jealous, if they looked at her starring for long enough. At least until Cherish let go, and turned to face the class.

"This is my friend, Crow. I promise she won't hurt anyone.

Crow? This is my new classmates. That's Lilac, and her big brother Nova, who keeps her nice and safe. Then there's Toupé, Teal, and Elef."

She'd also point and say the name of Miss Gypsum, if their teacher were there. As for her part, Crow lifted a hand to give a small, awkward wave.

"Hello."

"Elef hunts too. Maybe you'll see him out in the desert sometimes? He's really nice."

"Maybe. Can we go? Town isn't safe."

"Okay. See you tomorrow everyone!"

She'd wave at her new classmates, big smile on her face, before following Crow on her way out of town. She could stay for a few more, if any of them had something to say to her, or Crow, but they'd probably want to go home too. They could meet and speak one of the next school days. Maybe she'd even have a fun story about what Crow and her did today then! Fun stuff.

As for the Teal, Toupé, and Elef, if they went right home, they'd find that Void were chopping up some small bowls of fruit pieces up for the foals. Even if they were sleeping right now, it never hurt to be prepared,. And if they did not, then they needed something to eat, so they could grow up big and healthy.

@Blitz Boom

(Ardee)

On 2023-04-22 at 3:32 PM, Blitz Boom said:

Now then, You there. Have you never seen a kitsune before? You acted like I were rushing in to eat you or something earlier."

Ardee didn't take her eyes off the kitsune as he spoke with Null, except to watch as the paper fox approached him. When addressed she only shook her head slightly, so as to not break her line of sight. "I haven't. I grew up in a place where creatures running towards you typically intended to eat you. I've seen what happens to those who guess wrong."

(School)

Nova would only relax a little bit when Cherish said that Crow was a friend, but he would still stand protectively over Lilac until Crow and Cherish left.

The young ponies would wave when introduced, as would Lilac from under her brother, but they picked up that Crow was shy and thus did not try to ask any questions, simply waving goodbye when the two of them left.

(Void)

The young ponies did go straight home, as they had the habit of not lingering in unsafe places or when moving between designated safe zones. Once home though they were quick to let Void know all about their day and the ponies that they had met. (You can have Void ask specific questions if you want their perspectives on what happened.)

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

(Ardee)

"Well, can't blame you for having a good survival instinct. Frankly, you'd have fit in well around my old home with that attitude. It's the same sort of lesson we're taught when we're small kits.

Be honest, I'm not so scary up close now, right? Just a nice, innocent large fox."

"Don't trust that. They're tricksters, and saying that, he's probably planning on putting a *Kick me* sign on your back."

"Hey now, I take offense to that."

The kitsune feigned looking hurt. For about two seconds, then he'd grin, and swivel his paw, summoning a piece of paper.

"I were gonna go with *Pull my tail*. Seems like someone have been around kitsune before."

"Been trapped in a maze by your sort before. Learned plenty from that."

"A maze...?"

Kozue would tap his cheek, thinking on this for a bit. Then a metaphorical light went up over his head, and he'd point towards Null, barely holding back a laugh.

"O-Oh my ancestors, that was You?! You and someone else too, right? A tall one? Elder Fuh'ro told that story to everyone that wanted to listen to him. He said it was the best magic-free prank he had ever done, and every time Elder Uhra heard it, they'd start arguing over who had won the most bets on it.

What're the odds?"

"With my usual luck, far too freaking possible."

Kozue needed a few seconds to compose himself, before taking a deep breath, and raising a paw.

"Aaah, sorry 'bout that. It was just good having a nice memory right to the forefront like that, from back home. Have to remember those, for when the villages gets put up again someday.

Bad taste to almost laugh though, my bad."

He'd turn back to the two others again, with a focus on Ardee.

Aaah, but you say you didn't know kitsune, so that probably means you're gonna be hearing stuff. So first off, here's what's true: We're great at illusions, we like pranks, and yes, a fair few of us can heal, if we're trained in it. I can't do a lot, but some scrapes ain't too hard.

Falsehoods: We do not drag folks into forests, with victims that are never seen again. And if you hear that ridiculous story that we're demons, and need to eat a hundred souls to become mortals, just roll your eyes and walk away. I still don't know where that came from, but it's utterly crazy.

You'll hear more things, but those tend to cover the barebone basics. But hey, if you got questions, you might as well ask them now. You'll never know, if you get to see another kitsune for a while.

Same goes for you. You're surprisingly silent right now. Your marefriend here ratted out about my sort already? And don't try and deny it. Your smells are all over one another."

Null blushed and looked away as he said that, just confirming further, what he had just said to Arcade. Not that she'd deny it, but it were still something that were still a little embarrassing to just hear said out loud like that.

=======================================================================

(School)

There'd be nothing more from Cherish and Crow, and Opal would simply wave them off as they took off, then sit around and wait to speak with Gypsum about some class planning. Tedious stuff really, but it was a small class, so they would probably have that sorted shortly, and after that, Opal would be on her way. She needed to get home and sort some things.

========================================================================

(Void)

"That sounds absolutely wonderful. I'll admit, I thought you'd be away for longer, so I haven't gotten a lot done, but it sounds like your time were spent well. Even sounds like you might've made a few friends there.

Did you get any homework with you, that we have to look at? If not, I'd like to actually hear what you each think of your first day, and if there's something you're looking forward to learning, or a class you're hopeful for, if that's okay? I'll just finish making some food for Peal and Piecey, while you talk. I promise I'll be listening carefully though.

Why don't you start, Toupé? Then Teal can be next, and then Elef."

She'd keep chopping as she'd listen to them, hoping that they had as good of a first impression as it sounded like, and what they hoped for, moving forward. She could imagine at least Elef might look forward to the classes with Opal, and Toupé and Teal... harder to say. It depended on what sort of books, that the school would have, but they were both smart, young mares. They'd surely find something there that'd interest them. Maybe even something that'd lead to them getting their cutie marks.

@Blitz Boom

(Ardee)

On 2023-04-25 at 4:30 PM, Blitz Boom said:

You'll hear more things, but those tend to cover the barebone basics. But hey, if you got questions, you might as well ask them now. You'll never know, if you get to see another kitsune for a while.

Ardee did have something when it came to asking questions, pointing at the paper fox, "Could you explain more what that is? I assume you made it, you at least seem familiar with it, and it didn't seem to mind too much when I shot it. Now that it got the message to me, what is it supposed to do now?"

Same goes for you. You're surprisingly silent right now. Your marefriend here ratted out about my sort already? And don't try and deny it. Your smells are all over one another."

Arcade didn't know enough to be embarrassed by that comment, but the kitsune made it clear that it was meant to tease him, somehow. He shook his head, "I can't say she's told me much, I don't think it's come up before now. However, I do have plenty of... unsavory encounters with what I presume were less than fully sane members of your kind. I hope you'll forgive my lack of curiosity."

(Void)

The young ponies shook their head about homework, though they also didn't know what that was, so Teal would ask her to explain what she meant.

I'd like to actually hear what you each think of your first day, and if there's something you're looking forward to learning, or a class you're hopeful for, if that's okay? I'll just finish making some food for Peal and Piecey, while you talk. I promise I'll be listening carefully though.

Toupé looked a little disappointed, "It was alright, mostly just us getting to know the other ponies there. I hope that we'll be able to actually learn things in future classes."

Teal on the contrary seemed pleased with the class, "I actually really liked getting to meet the others. It was nice to meet other ponies our age. There were a pair of thestrals in the class, Nova and Lilac, who were fun to meet. Well, Nova didn't talk much, but Lilac was fun to talk to. I'm looking forward to getting to know them better, maybe Nova will open up over time?"

Elef seemed ambivalent to the experience, "It was similar to going to the festival, but with less to do. I didn't really get to meet Nova and Lilac this time, hopefully I'll get to meet them better next time. I did get to meet Cherish, who has a friend who hunts like me. Maybe I'll get to meet them one night? They seemed shy though. I hope we get to do things in the future, instead of just sitting and talking."

@Illiad Easle

(Ardee)

On 2023-04-27 at 9:29 PM, Illiad Easle said:

Ardee did have something when it came to asking questions, pointing at the paper fox, "Could you explain more what that is? I assume you made it, you at least seem familiar with it, and it didn't seem to mind too much when I shot it. Now that it got the message to me, what is it supposed to do now?"

The kitsune shrugged at the question, as he pointed towards the little paper fox. In turn, it would be looking up towards him, tail swaying behind it.

"Sure I made it. Making small origami animals is a passtime for kitsune kits where I grew up, and animating them is something we learn in school. They're great for sending messages around, or to mess with folks that got lost in the woods. Sometimes to help them too, we're not monsters. That said, usually they just deliver the message, and then fizzle out. Keeping them going, is for advanced classes.

It's kinda like making a golem, but way easier. Proper golem making is something else, and I can' go that far.

As for what to do with it now? Whatever. I could make it fizzle out, but I figured a little friend for the road would make you warm up to me, after you rushed off, so I applied the proper magic to keep it going. For all intents and purposes, it's a miniature golem. A little crafted life, that wanna explore the world. If you ain't interested, I'll just keep it around here. Seems rude to just snuff it out, y'know?

That said, you should probably stop shooting it. The magic keeps it more sturdy, and it can repair itself, if given enough time, but it's still pretty rude to just shoot someone."

Kozue at least, would figure it were quite rude, if someone shot him. Surely they could all agree on that much at least, yeah? That it was rude to shoot someone? If they couldn't, they were hardly civilized.

Arcade didn't know enough to be embarrassed by that comment, but the kitsune made it clear that it was meant to tease him, somehow. He shook his head, "I can't say she's told me much, I don't think it's come up before now. However, I do have plenty of... unsavory encounters with what I presume were less than fully sane members of your kind. I hope you'll forgive my lack of curiosity."

"...I see. So some broke, huh?"

Kozue actually seemed sullen for a little, as he heard about this Sure their kind liked to have their fun, but they were not inherently violent creatures. They were tricksters and pranksters, who tended to live rather traditionally, for themselves. barring some who went into the world of course, those who integrated with other race's towns, the occasional banished traitor- The usual stuff. But overall, most of them were not brought up to be violent, or feral, far as he were aware. So to hear some were that, haven given in to madness...

He understood it. It had been a horrible time, and bored as he had been underground, he were technically still lucky. At least he had been away from a portion of the war. Others of his kin must have gotten to far less safe places, and either died, or... That.

"I hope they're dead now then. Can't imagine there's that many left of us now, but I still wouldn't wish madness on any of them first. It's better that their spirits be free, and rejoin our ancestors in the spirit world. At least there, they will be free from pain and anguish, rather than be trapped in their own bodies. A horrible, horrible fate. Wouldn't wish it on anyone, kitsune or not."

He got out well with the changelings, due to them overlapping on things like this too. They also feared their minds cracking, in their own ways, and as shapeshifters, they were not foreign to being trickery themselves. When the world started to soothe properly, and they could rebuild, he hoped to implore that, on whatever leadership they'd have after this, and speak for them living less secluded. They had gotten far doing that, for their own safety and mysticism, but this war had well proven that isolating yourself, just meant you had no one to turn to, when things then went wrong. A sentiment he heard quite a lot, from all sorts of beings these days.

"*sigh* But nothing's gonna be gotten by wallowing in sadness. The war's over now, and there's more important things to do."

"You got plans it sounds like."

"Yep. Gonna stay here until I feel the time's right, and then out there, to see the world, and trying to find more of my own kind. Rally them up to get back home, and remake our towns, shrines- Everything. Need myself a travel parter or something, to keep the boredom at bay, but I'll find someone eventually. I feel that's gonna be my sign, that it's time to go.

But until then, what better way to pass the time, than to help raise some spirits, yeah?

Mind me asking, what're your plans?"

Null would look at Arcade, a bit of a blush still on her face. images of the two of them, surrounded by tiny foals popped up in her head. A pair or three, running around them, as they sat down, not a care in the world...

The blush would strengthen as that vivid image came to mind. A future she'd like to have, but she still wasn't sure how to approach it. How were she gonna do this? They had been on a date... They should do more then, right? And then eventually, someone had to ask the question, then a wedding to sort, then the uhm... The foal part...

This were the sort of thing, where she felt like she had to be guided through this, as she were not sure how things went. But sadly, she knew that Arcade knew even less, and so, she had to take the lead on these things, and she couldn't just keep ignoring that fact. It were just... How were she going to do it?

Kozue saw the way she looked at him, and a joyous smile returned to his face. What could he say? He were a sucker for an awkward love story, and she hid it poorly. Reminded him of his dear grandparents. His grandmother had been fond of saying that they'd ben wed, the same way they had gone on their first date: With her going over, saying that if he wanted to stare, the least he could do was follow through, and dragging him along by the tail. Literally, he had been dragged into the food court then, and later on, into the shrine, for them to get married. He hadn't even been sure what exactly had been going on. Flabbergasted old thing, heh. Though there were no denying, that the two had loved one another.

They had thankfully both passed on the year before the war, but he treasured their memories, and in time, he hoped to see them on Inu-Gihahru, the day of spirits, once their kind could hold those ceremonies again. Though there were a long road ahead, before they could get to that. So many shrines to rebuild, urns to make, prayers to speak... And he knew there would be pushback. After these monsters from Tartarus got loose, there would be fear over spirits in general, which would hamper things. But they had to rebuild, and honor their ancestors again. If they didn't, and they forgot their ancestors... Had the kitsune even really survived?

"May you look back on life when twilight comes, and find no regrets.

What of you two?"

He'd look at Ardee and Arcade. He could tell what Null had in mind, and hoped that she would seize the opportunity, and live a life she could gaze back at, and be proud of. The other two? He hadn't the foggiest. They were way less obvious.

====================================================================

(Void)

The young ponies shook their head about homework, though they also didn't know what that was, so Teal would ask her to explain what she meant.

"Homework is just some chores from school, basically. Usually stuff like math problems, things to read, or spelling tests. It's basically a slice of schoolwork, that you have to do at home. You'll get it eventually."

She never had any, but then again, Void had never been to school, so... Yeah. Funny to think that the hour or so they had been gone for this, had been more than her and Void had combined. Strange to think about in a way. That were, if they ignored the stuff Vale had done, which they shouldn't. She just meant a school outside of this building.

Toupé looked a little disappointed, "It was alright, mostly just us getting to know the other ponies there. I hope that we'll be able to actually learn things in future classes."

"You will, don't worry about that dear. This is just the first day, where they want you students to get to know the room, and the others a bit more. I'm sure the next time, you will go through some lessons, and begin to learn things."

Teal on the contrary seemed pleased with the class, "I actually really liked getting to meet the others. It was nice to meet other ponies our age. There were a pair of thestrals in the class, Nova and Lilac, who were fun to meet. Well, Nova didn't talk much, but Lilac was fun to talk to. I'm looking forward to getting to know them better, maybe Nova will open up over time?"

"Just be patient with Nova, and I'm sure they'll open up some more. Some are just a little shy, or have some issues after the war. Just give it some time, and you'll see. Who knows? Maybe you'll end up becoming close friends with both of them, before you know it."

Elef seemed ambivalent to the experience, "It was similar to going to the festival, but with less to do. I didn't really get to meet Nova and Lilac this time, hopefully I'll get to meet them better next time. I did get to meet Cherish, who has a friend who hunts like me. Maybe I'll get to meet them one night? They seemed shy though. I hope we get to do things in the future, instead of just sitting and talking."

"I'll hope that you will, Elef, and that you're both gonna get along. I can't imagine there's all that many hunters around here, so you having someone to bond with over that, could be good for you. Maybe if you try to ask Cherish, she will try and help you two set up something, where you can meet on a hunt? I'm sure if you ask her nicely, she'd be happy to try."

Sounded like they all had a fine enough first impression, but did need some actual school work. Though that'd be fine. She were sure that by tomorrow, that would change. It'd be nice sitting down and try to do some homework with them.

As they had spoken, she had finished chopping up the fruit for the little ones, and put down the knife and board in the sink. If the foals were sleeping, she'd wash this up first. If they were not, she'd first go and make sure they got something to eat here. They had to get fed after all, so they could grow up strong and healthy. And this were far better than some sour bread, for their long term health.

"There we go then. So school sounded like it didn't provide the sort of learning you were hoping. Maybe I can try and teach you something? I'm not as good as Vale, but I can still run through some basic math and such with you, so you can get a feel for what schoolwork, and homework, will be like? Or would you rather that we did something else? A game maybe?"

@Blitz Boom

(Ardee)

On 2023-05-02 at 1:21 PM, Blitz Boom said:

That said, you should probably stop shooting it. The magic keeps it more sturdy, and it can repair itself, if given enough time, but it's still pretty rude to just shoot someone."

She shrugged, "It's rude to follow someone too, and to try and sneak into their room." She looked thoughtful at the paper fox, it did seem... cute, in a way. She sighed, "Well, it it doesn't require much in the way of upkeep, I guess it can come along with me."

She looked over at Arcade and Null, "So long as it's okay with you two?"

Arcade would shrug and look to Null for the final say.

"...I see. So some broke, huh?"

Arcarde shook his head, "More like, got into things that they shouldn't have, that broke them. There are a lot of dangerous things in this world, that prey on the curious. To be clear, my encounters happened before all of..." he gestured vaguely around them, "...this."   

"May you look back on life when twilight comes, and find no regrets.

What of you two?"

Arcade and Ardee were both a bit confused by Null's reaction to the kitsune's question, but didn't call her out on it. When asked, Arcade just shrugged, "We're here on business mostly, trying to make the world a bit safer where we can."

Ardee didn't have much more to add, "I'm just here to see the world, to experience something different and see where I might fit in to all of this. Nothing set or anything."

(Void)

"There we go then. So school sounded like it didn't provide the sort of learning you were hoping. Maybe I can try and teach you something? I'm not as good as Vale, but I can still run through some basic math and such with you, so you can get a feel for what schoolwork, and homework, will be like? Or would you rather that we did something else? A game maybe?"

The room was understandably mixed in terms of desires, Toupé wanting to learn something and Elef wanting to do something fun, while Teal was fine either way. Ultimately, it would be up to Void what they did next. Teal and Toupé would help Void to feed the foals before they went down for a nap, having spent the morning playing with Void while the others were at school. While they had been a bit sad at first that their family was missing, they were easy enough to console and distract with other things, and they had been all the more happy when their family returned before nap time.

@Illiad Easle

(Ardee)

On 2023-05-05 at 8:11 PM, Illiad Easle said:

She shrugged, "It's rude to follow someone too, and to try and sneak into their room." She looked thoughtful at the paper fox, it did seem... cute, in a way. She sighed, "Well, it it doesn't require much in the way of upkeep, I guess it can come along with me."

She looked over at Arcade and Null, "So long as it's okay with you two?"

"If you want it along, then that's your choice. Seems harmless enough."

"More or less. Just watch out for any sorta important papers. They like to eat words, so just give it a flyer or something every once in a while. You'll see what I mean when it happens."

The little thing certainly didn't seem to mind the idea, and would jump up on a nearby chair, then use that as a platform to get up on her, and nuzzle the back of her head. Less fuzzy, and more like being poked with a piece of folded paper, but the pressure were mild, so really, it shouldn't be that bad. And it were a way for it to show affection. Might be it could let off a giggle, but that didn't mean it could talk... Far as they knew. You never really know what kitsune-related things were capable of, and Null at least, were well aware that it wasn't a matter of If he were not saying something, but rather What.

Best one could hope for, were that it were harmless. And while she had no trust for many creatures, she'd been told she had to try... And this one didn't seem so intent on doing bad. She'd try, see what came of it.

Arcarde shook his head, "More like, got into things that they shouldn't have, that broke them. There are a lot of dangerous things in this world, that prey on the curious. To be clear, my encounters happened before all of..." he gestured vaguely around them, "...this."   

"Doesn't change my words. I'd rather they're dead and at peace, than feral. Us kitsune pride in tradition and keeping control. Becoming insane, and turning into some feral, crazed being... Well, let's just say that changelings and us, aren't all that different, in our way of life, and what we're afraid of. Difference is just that it can be a lot more dangerous if a kitsune goes mad. We're highly magical, and that going wild, can cause serious harm.

Our legends have it, that some of us can tap directly into where leylines meet, and ascend to a many-tailed one. Never seen one myself, and I ain't sure if the stories are true, but if they're real, they'd be to us, what the alicorns are to ponies. Ever-living, demi-god beings of power, and highly revered."

"Not sure how that last bit's relevant."

"It ain't really, but not a whole lot ask, so I figured I'd just toss some culture in, while we were near that subject."

They'd both look at each other, and let off a slight shrug. Seemed fair enough for Null. If she had a lot of culture in her baggage, and no one to share it with, maybe she'd start to ramble too once in a while, when no one listened. She hadn't though, as she had moved around too much to have much of any cultural roots, beyond the first half dozen years of her life. She'd seen a lot however, so she could share some stories someday, if things went that route. Fairly sure she already had actually, though this legend were a new one. Probably not the cut and dry of it, but that's how legends went. They got twisted by time, and many interpreters, so whatever grain of truth there were in it, were hard to pinpoint.

Arcade and Ardee were both a bit confused by Null's reaction to the kitsune's question, but didn't call her out on it. When asked, Arcade just shrugged, "We're here on business mostly, trying to make the world a bit safer where we can."

Ardee didn't have much more to add, "I'm just here to see the world, to experience something different and see where I might fit in to all of this. Nothing set or anything."

"Nice and simple, one step at a time sorta thing, eh? Ain't nothing wrong with that.

Best make sure you're careful though, if you're gonna see more of the world. It's still a dangerous place out there."

He'd hear a bell behind him, and perk his ears, before letting out a sigh.

"Aight, I need to clear the stage, but it's been nice chatting. Maybe I'll see you folks around again, yeah? You two -"

He'd point at Arcade and Null.

"- should try having a fun night, and not get all drowned in work. Life's too short for that. And you? If you're planning on heading out East, try and come back before leaving. Neighpon is a strange place, and whatever remains of it, likely haven't gotten easier to grasp. If you feel like you'd want it, I could give you some pointers."

"I'm surprised. I figured you would be messing with us constantly."

"Who says I haven't?"

He'd send her a sneaky grin, and she had to take a hoof behind her head, to feel her back, just to make sure there were a *Kick me* sign glued to her. Didn't seem so... Maybe he were messing with her head by making it seem like he was, making her all paranoid? Urgh, it were like trying to find sense in the actions of a cat... And like a cat, he might just be doing things to get attention, and have others chat with him. She really had no idea.

If there were nothing else, he'd wave them off, and they could go and sort things out from here. Like go attend the *business* they had, or have a look around, maybe outside. Could be a bit of sightseeing, would help them get a whiff of their mark.

(Void)

Void had frankly been concerned how the foals would react this morning. She had assumed they might cry and be hard to console, but while they had been clearly sad, they had been little angels, and they were no less happy to see their siblings return again. The wait would likely become longer, as the days went on, but they would adapt. She were sure of it. And whatever bumps in the road would pop up, Vale and her would deal with, as best they could.

While the two angels were fed, and prepped for bed, she'd think about what they could do. Seemed like there were a bit of a toss between education, and fun. Some reading could be fun, but not in a way that were very educational, unless they were doing a book test, and that were likely to take some part of the fun out. Plus, she didn't have a book in mind anyway, nor were she sure how to make a book report properly. That were more Vale's specialty, she'd guess.

That said, she might be able to think of something. After she had gone over to the small ones, and see them off to their nap as well. She frankly never thought she'd tire of seeing them just lie down and rest, happy and without a care in the world.

So when the small ones were resting, she'd bring up a game that she had seen, and had a fairly good idea of how to do: Hangmare. Or well, Cartside, as she were gonna use. It were basically the same thing, but without the morbid imagery of a hung pony. Something which she still thought were a pretty grizzly visual for a foal game. This one she had seen were more appropriate, and went on making a hill, then a small apple stand. If the stand were done, with the pony next to it, the game were over.

She'd explain the rules simply, and be the one to start. Make a phrase, a few words, or just one word, and mark them with _ _ _ _ for instance, for *Home*. Then there would be turns of folks trying to guess a letter, and potentially the phrases. The one who'd get it int he end, would then have to go and think of something themselves. It were a light spelling lesson, but it were a start at least. If it bored them though, she felt like perhaps, they could do something a bit more physical, and do some indoor gymnastics, as best as the place allowed it. She'd start with this though.

The first would be from her, and in the end, would spell out *You are all precious to me.* Something with a fair amount of words perhaps, but it felt right to dot down. And once it were there, she had to go through with it. No cheating here. That would be a bad examples to set for them. Even if it were maybe a bit... Blunt perhaps, true as it were. They could work on more difficult words later perhaps too, but she would start with something rather simple, and nice.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

(Ardee)

On 2023-05-06 at 4:20 PM, Blitz Boom said:

Best one could hope for, were that it were harmless. And while she had no trust for many creatures, she'd been told she had to try... And this one didn't seem so intent on doing bad. She'd try, see what came of it.

She was still wary of it, but as those closest to her didn't seem to be too worried about it she figured she'd give it a chance. Besides, if she only had to feed it paper then that was much simpler to care for than one of those moths. The old facilities had been full of paper, so she didn't think keeping it fed would be hard to do.

On 2023-05-06 at 4:20 PM, Blitz Boom said:

If there were nothing else, he'd wave them off, and they could go and sort things out from here. Like go attend the *business* they had, or have a look around, maybe outside. Could be a bit of sightseeing, would help them get a whiff of their mark.

Now that Null was up, Ardee would let her take charge of the situation, having had enough exploration and potential danger for one day. Still though, she was interested in what Null's plan was to both look for their target, and keep her safe. "So, what's the plan then? Do you have some sort of way to find who we're looking for? Or are you just hoping you'll hear about them around town?"

Arcade looked a bit more concerned, speaking quieter so Ardee wouldn't overhear, "And how are we planning to keep Ardee safe and occupied? Are we going to try and get some local changelings to watch after her? Someone at the embassy? You've got something planned, right?"

(Let me know if you need a refresher on potential allies and plot points unless you've already got something in mind.)

(Void)

As they hadn't played a game like this before, they didn't guess letters with any sort of strategy or reason, even sometimes guessing letters that had already been guessed, but as Void's phrase had half of the possible letters in it, she'd be able to increase the details in the drawing to make sure that they got all the letters in before the drawing was finished.

Once the phrase was revealed the young ponies looked thoughtful, Teal spoke up, somewhat more subdued than usual, but still positive, "You know, that's something that Mistress told me once, but she never really explained what it meant." She turned towards Void, "Are you saying that you care about us like she did? Or... am I reading too far into it?"

The young ponies all looked to see what Void's response would be. If she reaffirmed her love for them they would be happy to hear it, though Toupé would look down at the name on her coat. If Void deflected and said it was just part of the game they would look a little disappointed, but would continue the game, Toupé holding her coat a bit closer to herself.

In either case they had picked up on how the game was played, and would continue using simpler words and phrases that they had picked up from Void and Vale when they were taught previously.

Vale would arrive at the room an hour later, surprised to see them back already, "Oh? Back so soon? If I had known I would have come back sooner. I hope everything went well at school? No problems?"

She'd come over to Void as the young ponies relayed most of the same information that they had told Void, at least not telling Vale anything they hadn't told Void. Vale would look in on the still napping foals before turning to Void, "I hope these two didn't give you any trouble while I was out? I'll try not to make a habit of it, but with the others in school they want me to split my focus up a bit more."

@Illiad Easle

(Ardee)

"Last time we went away from Ardee, she ended up roaming around the hotel, and got scared at a kitsune. I'm thinking we'll stick together for a bit, just to be on the safe side.

So, here's my idea: All three of us, take a walk around town, and make sure to not go down any of the side paths. Might still be some gangs and stuff in circulation, so don't try. And don't get lured away from the group. We'll have a better time sightseeing, if we're safe, and no one needs to track down where the others might've been kidnapped to. We get a good look at things, as best we can then, and see what's here to work with.

There's a few places I have in mind, where we could go to see some familiar faces, and show you some sights. Ain't gonna promise they'll all be glamorous, but you'd probably do well seeing as much as possible, Ardee. What's interesting from that, is gonna be on you to decide.

I'm thinking we'd stop at the old hive first. Give you look at what sort the locals are, and where their leader came from, when I were here the last time. Sounds grand?"

There were more to it, with her wanting to ask them, if they had seen something, that might help them. Going around town too, might give her a trail to follow. She'd need Nine for that though... She hadn't talked with him as much as she might've wanted to honestly. Been a few days by now, but might be best to have him on board with this too.

"Hey, Nine? What're your thoughts on this? I haven't done the hunting part of this gig before, but I seem to recall being told something about tracking, by Vengeance. I brought the outfit too, if that's needed."

It were in her bag, tucked in under a few other things. She hadn't used it much yet honestly, as she weren't used to wearing clothes. She probably should get used to it though, before it's start getting dusty, and eaten up by moth larvae.

(Void)

18 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

"You know, that's something that Mistress told me once, but she never really explained what it meant." She turned towards Void, "Are you saying that you care about us like she did? Or... am I reading too far into it?"

"From what you have all told me about her, then yes, I do. You're all precious to me, and I love you dearly."

In a way, it was a bit odd for her to actually say it out loud. Confronted with the question as she were though, she had let the so far unsaid, finally come out, and it make her feel... Happy. She had thought she might have gotten nervous from this, when it would eventually pass her lips, but no. Her chest were filled with warmth and joy, and as she gazed upon them all, she felt relief at having said this. Getting it off of her chest, made her feel as if she could walk on a cloud.

"I'm not trying to replace her. Your mistress meant a lot to you, and I'd never dream of asking you to just leave her memory behind, and embrace that of someone else. But I do hope that I can show to you, that you mean as much to me, as you did to her, and bring you the comfort, joy and love, that she is no longer here to give."

She wanted this. Not just them, looking at her, gauging if she actually meant her words, but this as in a bunch of young ponies, and foals int he other room. A large, blooming family. The very thing that Null had always promised her that she'd one day have, and in this moment, it felt like she finally did. And she could hardly be happier.

If they were ready to move on to some more rounds, she'd give the board to the one who guessed the phrase she put up there. If they had other things in mind, she would do that too, but regardless, the hour would eventually go, and Vale return, to find that the young ponies were back from school, far sooner than she too had expected.

20 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

Vale would arrive at the room an hour later, surprised to see them back already, "Oh? Back so soon? If I had known I would have come back sooner. I hope everything went well at school? No problems?"

She'd come over to Void as the young ponies relayed most of the same information that they had told Void, at least not telling Vale anything they hadn't told Void. Vale would look in on the still napping foals before turning to Void, "I hope these two didn't give you any trouble while I was out? I'll try not to make a habit of it, but with the others in school they want me to split my focus up a bit more."

"Oh nonsense. They've been little angels, don't worry about that. They seemed a little anxious and sad at first, when their siblings were gone, but I managed to keep them entertained. As did Lacuni. They do really well with animals."

Lacuni were currently having a nap too, resting near where the foals were napping, out of easy stepping range. She had been nervous at first, when she had brought him along here, but they seemed to really hit it off well with him, and in turn, he too connected greatly to them. Hopefully they wouldn't start chasing just any animal they ran into, but still, it were good for them to meet some friendly creatures like this, and interact with. Who knew? One or both, might even end up being a specialists with animals in some fashion.

"Did things go well while you were out? Or is it a bit of a hush hush situation?"

Void were practically beaming. Frankly, it would take a lot right now she thought, to take the wind out of her sails. Provided nothing bad had happened the last hour before she showed, that were.

• 2 weeks later...

@Blitz Boom

(Null)

On 2023-05-09 at 9:56 AM, Blitz Boom said:

I'm thinking we'd stop at the old hive first. Give you look at what sort the locals are, and where their leader came from, when I were here the last time. Sounds grand?"

Ardee didn't look too happy at Null seeming to indicate that she had done wrong by wandering the hotel, it wasn't like she had gone outside, and returning to her room when presented with an unknown danger seemed to be the correct course of action. But she shook it off.

The two of them nodded at Null's plan, not having anything against it, and Ardee curious as to what a changeling hive would be like.

"Hey, Nine? What're your thoughts on this? I haven't done the hunting part of this gig before, but I seem to recall being told something about tracking, by Vengeance. I brought the outfit too, if that's needed."

"Well, to track effectively you'll want the blindfold. Make sure the hole is over your dominant eye. Then I can show you the trails without it being too overwhelming. But unless we can pin him to a particular location, you'd have to try and sus the right trail out of all the others. Depending on what sort of ponies exist here, it may be hard to pick out."

Assuming she had the blindfold on her it would turn invisible once she put it on, though she could still see it covering her vision in the eye that didn't have the hole. While she would lose some depth perception, she'd now have a clear view of the trails that everyone had, the visibility determined by how much she focused on them. Inside the casino, and most importantly trailing Arcade and Ardee, weren't any indications of wrongdoing.

Once they stepped outside though, if Null looked up she'd see a black trail crossing back and forth all over the city. It could only belong to their target, and not only did it indicate that that pony got around, but he moved quickly, mostly dashing from one rooftop to another, likely surveilling for marks. Given the crossing nature of the trail it wouldn't be easy to follow it back.

Outside of that, things were fairly calm in the city. Plenty of venders in the street selling their wares, and while the creatures tended to be visibly armed more often then not, they didn't seem to be in any hurry or overly concerned as they browsed.

(Void)

"I'm not trying to replace her. Your mistress meant a lot to you, and I'd never dream of asking you to just leave her memory behind, and embrace that of someone else. But I do hope that I can show to you, that you mean as much to me, as you did to her, and bring you the comfort, joy and love, that she is no longer here to give."

Void's clarification did seem to assuage Toupé's apparent concern, leading it to be considered a touching moment for all involved. They didn't all know quite what they thought about this just yet, but in time they would come to understand.

They seemed a little anxious and sad at first, when their siblings were gone, but I managed to keep them entertained. As did Lacuni. They do really well with animals.

Vale nodded at that, "Maybe it's better that they came back sooner today. It serves to help these two get used to the others being gone for longer periods."

"Did things go well while you were out? Or is it a bit of a hush hush situation?"

Vale smiled at that, "Well, I can say yes to both of those questions. It's not that I don't trust you of course, but there are certain things that are better if as few creatures know about them as possible."

She looked over at the young ponies who had continued their game while the adults talked, "That being said, the Consul thinks that these three don't need to be kept quite as much a secret any more. As they'll probably be making friends and we can't exactly get young creatures to swear to secrecy..." she shrugged, "So you're free to talk about them with others, and about your role as a caregiver to them, but these two..." she looked over at the foals, "The Consul wants to keep them secret for a bit longer, just in case..." she made sure they weren't being listened to, "In case they start manifesting some... alicorn attributes."

@Illiad Easle

(Null)

On 2023-05-18 at 6:25 AM, Illiad Easle said:

"Well, to track effectively you'll want the blindfold. Make sure the hole is over your dominant eye. Then I can show you the trails without it being too overwhelming. But unless we can pin him to a particular location, you'd have to try and sus the right trail out of all the others. Depending on what sort of ponies exist here, it may be hard to pick out."

"Judging from the last time I was here, it ain't the kindest place on the planet. But we'll see what we can find."

She'd go and take out the blindfold. She hadn't used this much, as frankly, she didn't have much of a reason before now, but this were her job now, and she had to get it done. Especially since the one she were after, were seemingly one that were rather dangerous. The sooner she could find him, and dump him off at her sister's place, the better for all of them.

The experience were still weird. The depth perception were one thing, but the trail? She had used it a few times in Troy, to try and train a little, but it were still messing with her to see it. Though this time, it weren't entirely the same. This time, she had a new one to look at. Something that really showed that someone in this town, were not just a little naughty. At least, that is what she assumed this specific trail was all about.

Once they stepped outside though, if Null looked up she'd see a black trail crossing back and forth all over the city. It could only belong to their target, and not only did it indicate that that pony got around, but he moved quickly, mostly dashing from one rooftop to another, likely surveilling for marks. Given the crossing nature of the trail it wouldn't be easy to follow it back.

Outside of that, things were fairly calm in the city. Plenty of venders in the street selling their wares, and while the creatures tended to be visibly armed more often then not, they didn't seem to be in any hurry or overly concerned as they browsed.

She were looking around, following the trail. Seemed like their target were no slouch, and made good use of the roofs, for the height advantage, to look down on others. probably to scout out some victims. *sigh* Why could things never just be simple? And really, this sadly did not tell him where he were. Only that he had been there. It were still something, as she'd know to scour up in the air more, rather than just the streets for a trail, when she could start the hunt proper, but it were still impossible for her to see, where he had actually gone to, or come from. Weren't like this line had arrows indicating it. That'd be far too easy.

*sigh* Well, she had something to work with, and could keep an eye out as it were, as they wandered through town. Maybe she'd end up seeing the real him, and could then follow him proper, though she doubted it.

The vendors in the market, had nothing that interested her, though she did look around. The trails were not just of her mark after all, and all of these, were telling in their own way. She just still weren't entirely sure what they were telling, but that came with practice, which she also sorely needed, in a more open area, than just at night, in Troy. Though she would assume assume to run into some false positives. Ninja for instance, would probably have a tar-black line after him too.

She would halt eventually, at a stall, as she saw something that brought back memories. A weapon's vendor, presenting all sorts of weapons up behind him. One of them being a naginata, just like the one Void used to have. Well, except this one were probably not cursed. But it did seem to be able to fold as it were, just like hers, with the color, the glimmer in the blade itself... She wondered what her sister were doing right now. Probably taking care of the kids, and doing a good job of it. She were always more motherly, than Null ever were. Something which might be an issue, if... No, that were a thought for another time.

The vendor seemed busy, and not paying attention to them. The minotaur more occupied, with showing off what looked like a Coastal Guard trident, to an interested gryphon. Likely a looted item from somewhere. Weren't like there weren't enough corpses to loot.

"Void used to have one of those. First time she swung it, she ended up cutting off most of my main, and half a tree. She were pretty mortified, but she got the hang of it eventually. Did a lot of good with it..."

==========================================================================

(Void)

Vale nodded at that, "Maybe it's better that they came back sooner today. It serves to help these two get used to the others being gone for longer periods."

Void could only agree on this. A shorter period, meant that the little ones would get eased in to them being away, but then eventually returning. That would be of course, until eventually they'd be adopted away... A thought which honestly, broke her heart to even think about. These two were delightful little angels. Any parent would be the luckiest pony on the planet, to have them... But who could even be trusted? They were based around the two princesses. They would eventually grow up, and show some signs of that, she were sure. And if that included power, there would be those who would use them for their own gain. Then there were also those who would just be cruel to them, cause they were bad parents. Then there were regular neglect options, and...

She could worry for days about this., and likely would for far longer. Because powerful or not, these two were cherished little lives, and it sickened her to think that they would go and be with someone, who wouldn't think of their best, but only themselves.

Vale smiled at that, "Well, I can say yes to both of those questions. It's not that I don't trust you of course, but there are certain things that are better if as few creatures know about them as possible."

She looked over at the young ponies who had continued their game while the adults talked, "That being said, the Consul thinks that these three don't need to be kept quite as much a secret any more. As they'll probably be making friends and we can't exactly get young creatures to swear to secrecy..." she shrugged, "So you're free to talk about them with others, and about your role as a caregiver to them, but these two..." she looked over at the foals, "The Consul wants to keep them secret for a bit longer, just in case..." she made sure they weren't being listened to, "In case they start manifesting some... alicorn attributes."

"I've worried about that too... What if they're adopted by someone, and they then blossom later? Just imagining them being used for someone's selfish gains... It makes my blood boil.

They'll all grow up to be good, kind ponies. I'm sure of it, and like you said, the others have been around now. Especially in the school. Others will have seen them, including their classmates, and they'll want to tell others. The foals though... *sigh* Maybe I worry too much, but I admit to being afraid, of what might happen to them, if they went away. I don't know if I could trust anyone to treat them well."

She'd close her eyes, and take a few deep breaths. She would not continue to speak though, before she had seen if the two could still speak in relative private. Some things, were best to not say to the young ponies.

"I'll go and make use of the measurements later today. I promise not to give details, but I have to know if you-know-what is possible."

She hadn't yet went and asked Molotov about his wing design, and whatever it were possible, as well as the risks involved. But she were planning on doing it later, after she had been and seen how her little siblings were doing. If they were sleeping, so too were her parents, and thus, she would move directly out into the desert. Might as well use the time properly, yeah? Besides, she had some... Other things, to discuss with him too, but she did not want to upset Vale by bringing it up. She knew that the doctor hated him.

@Blitz Boom

(Null)

On 2023-05-23 at 1:22 PM, Blitz Boom said:

"Void used to have one of those. First time she swung it, she ended up cutting off most of my main, and half a tree. She were pretty mortified, but she got the hang of it eventually. Did a lot of good with it..."

Arcade and Ardee had been keeping close to Null as they traveled, looking around as they did but not moving to stray form the path that Null set. They turned to see what she was referring to when she spoke, Arcade taking a bit more interest than Ardee, who turned her gaze towards the other weapons for sale.

Arcade seemed to pick up that Null wanted to say more about it, "Seems pretty dangerous if even on the first swing it could do such damage."

Their musings in the market didn't escape the notice of a certain pegasus perched on a nearby rooftop. He had to see for himself after all if what his scout had said was true. And indeed it looked like the pegasus who had bested him was back. For what purpose, he didn't know, but he'd be keeping an eye on her and her group. Especially that curious other pegasus she was traveling with. She looked... oddly familiar, somehow.

He'd retreat from the side of the rooftop to take off from the opposite side so as to not be seen from the street.

(Void)

I've worried about that too... What if they're adopted by someone, and they then blossom later? Just imagining them being used for someone's selfish gains... It makes my blood boil.

Vale nodded at that, "The Consul's concerned about that too, and he'll personally approve whoever gets to care for them, just like he did for you and I. Further, you can rest assured that if they try anything, they'll have him to answer to."

I promise not to give details, but I have to know if you-know-what is possible."

Vale's expression grew a bit more unsure, "I'm still not sure that it is a good idea. Especially where he is concerned. But as long as you are careful about it I won't stop you." She looked over at the young ponies, at Toupé in particular, as she sighed, "I just don't want to cause them any more stress than necessary. I know how hard it can be to have your sense of self shifted so roughly."

@Illiad Easle

(Null)

Null chuckled slightly, as she heard what Arcade said, and shook her head.

"The weapon's a good one, and the one she had? Cursed, and sharp as could be. But it wouldn't have done so much, if she wasn't as strong as she is.

My sister's a gentle soul, but don't underestimate her strength, if she have a need to use it. She swung this thing at full power, and nearly took out a tree, and she was 14 at the time. And trust me, she didn't get weaker when she grew up. Twenty-some years on the road, carrying heavy stuff, and having to run around more often than not, helps beefing you up, and she's gifted from nature as is. A big frame to add some layers of muscle to, and I've seen what she can do when she's determined to use it.

...I hope she's doing alright."

Null didn't see a thing, when it came to the rooftop peeper. Didn't even suspect it. She just had a moment down memory lane, and then began to wander off soon after. They had a hive to visit.

"We should be on our way. Plenty enough to see in this town."

In this case, that were the hive. The old theater looked pretty much like it had, the last time she were here. It would be worked on inside though, to better accommodate a hive lifestyle, with tunnels and stuff starting to get dug, though the outside looked the same. Except that it were getting a fresh coat of paint. It were one of the first investments they did make, when they had some spending money to work with here. After more blankets, beds, and various other materials they needed for the changelings, of course. They had to take care of those, before the outside, but right after making sure there were enough beds and nothing were about to collapse? A fresh coat of paint. Which were still being applied. In fact, there were two painters whistling and going around as they approached.

"Here we go. Doesn't look like much, but this here's the old Cheshire Hive, from what I understand. Apparently they ran it as a full fledged theater, but after the war, and the town being retaken, it got refurbished into shelter for other changelings.

I'll be lying if I said I have a good history with changelings, but this group... They seem to genuinely care about the kin. It's nice seeing that sort of thing sometimes."

(Void)

On 2023-05-29 at 6:08 AM, Illiad Easle said:

Vale nodded at that, "The Consul's concerned about that too, and he'll personally approve whoever gets to care for them, just like he did for you and I. Further, you can rest assured that if they try anything, they'll have him to answer to."

"If I hear about it before he does, he'll have to wait his turn to get at anyone, that would dare to harm my little angels."

She got a brief, hard look going in her eyes. A shadow, akin to what Null often seemed to struggle with, as dark thoughts crossed Void's head, of someone daring to lift a hoof against these two adorable little darlings. She'd be furious if someone hurt the others too, but these were mere fillies. She would not forgive those, who'd hurt an innocent little bundle like that.

The dark shadow passing Void's eyes were brief though, and she'd return to looking more concerned, than anything else. She wanted was was best for them. For all of them,. She wanted to hold them, to tell them that everything would be better, and give them a warm, loving home, like they deserved. Elef had that path set forth for him now, and she were happy for him. Others of his kin, would suit him more, and help him feel more normal, but there were stil the matter of the rest.

It seemed that at least for now, Ardee had a plan. A need for some space, and see the world, but that still left several of them, that s far, did not have much more than this. She wished to do more for them, and give them a base, selfish as it might be for her, to want to keep them close. She could likely have some space, if she rebuild the workshop, for instance. Without Null being part of it anymore, there were some empty space, and there were places one could sleep and shower in the back. Yet it still needed a lot of work, to get done proper, and even then, she would have to think further. She could keep up her forge-work, and probably have a good work there. Hard and dirty work maybe, but it were a readily avilable option, and she didn't mind working the forge at all. Felt rather nice frankly.

*sigh* She were still just her though. Her sister would be going many places, and she her parents had to handle their own foals, first and foremost. SHe needed to be able to handle things here herself, and while she were able, it would be nice to have someone else. Sure there were Vale, but she had been honest, that her path would likely lead away from here, sooner or later. And if it came to that, Void hoped that maybe she would take at least one of them with her. Potentially Toupé. She were such a smart young mare. She would be able to learn a lot, if she were were Vale, and get someone who'd encourage and appreciate her.

Were this underlying thing why she were being more open to his advances? Were she desperate, maybe? It were... *sigh* There were a lot to take in, and things to plan, as well as do, and times like this, she did honestly wonder if she could even trust her own emotions, towards anything but her new siblings, the foals, and the young ponies. There she did not have any doubt, that she genuinely loved them. But everything else? She were still needing to think on that.

On 2023-05-29 at 6:08 AM, Illiad Easle said:

Vale's expression grew a bit more unsure, "I'm still not sure that it is a good idea. Especially where he is concerned. But as long as you are careful about it I won't stop you." She looked over at the young ponies, at Toupé in particular, as she sighed, "I just don't want to cause them any more stress than necessary. I know how hard it can be to have your sense of self shifted so roughly."

"I swear Vale, I won't force anything on her, or even mention it, unless I feel certain that it would be the best for her, and that you're on board with it. But if she finds out the truth herself, or feel the pull towards the sky, I'd like to be able to know if I can give her some hope.

You know the saying, it is better to have and not need, than to need and not have. Even though I know you and him are not getting along well, and he might need to uhm... Get gagged for his own good, you've seen the ones he have too. You know he's capable. I just need to know the risks, and exactly how capable, just in case."

She knew Vale worried, and with good reason. Directly of indirectly, Molotov had caused a lot of harm, including to Vale herself. Her bias there were completely understandable. But Void had to think of Toupé in this, and for her sake, she needed to know that if the day came, when it had to be brought up, that she were a pegasus, or that she felt the urge to go up herself, and came asking questions, that she did not only have answer. She wanted to also have solutions.

Possibly, this would never end up mattering, and that would be fine. Toupé would live out her life thinking she were a regular earth pony, and nothing would need to change that. But it were that *What if?* that made Void unwilling to just let it slide, and not think it best to try and find out an answer.

"But just leave that to me, okay? I'll keep you updated, soon as I know something.

Let's focus on them instead, yeah? Now that it's okay to have them more out in public, I think maybe we should start to plan out some trips around town. Really give them a good look of Troy, without them needing to cover themselves up again. I think it'd be nice for them to see a little more of their home, than just the walls in here."

@Blitz Boom

(Null)

On 2023-05-31 at 3:24 PM, Blitz Boom said:

...I hope she's doing alright."

Ardee spoke up there, "She's seemed fine, happy even, when she was caring for us. But I didn't know her before, so I don't know if that's an improvement or not."

I'll be lying if I said I have a good history with changelings, but this group... They seem to genuinely care about the kin. It's nice seeing that sort of thing sometimes."

Ardee and Arcade shared a look and shrugged, Arcade commenting, "They've been good enough to us while we've been here, and before they weren't any worse towards us than the other creatures. The sane ones at least."

They didn't seem hesitant about meeting the changelings, more concerned as to whether they'd be welcome just walking in. "So," Ardee asked, "Are we allowed to go inside? Or are we just here to see it from the outside?"

(Void)

"If I hear about it before he does, he'll have to wait his turn to get at anyone, that would dare to harm my little angels."

Vale chuckled at that before she saw how serious Void looked about it, shaking off the mirth. "I don't doubt it. I'm sure the damage you did when you thought your sister was in danger will be nothing compared to what you'll do if these ones are in trouble."

"But just leave that to me, okay? I'll keep you updated, soon as I know something.

Let's focus on them instead, yeah? Now that it's okay to have them more out in public, I think maybe we should start to plan out some trips around town. Really give them a good look of Troy, without them needing to cover themselves up again. I think it'd be nice for them to see a little more of their home, than just the walls in here."

She looked unsure, but nodded, "Alright, I'll trust your decisions when it comes to them. I know you won't do anything intentionally to hurt them."

In regards to planning trips into the town, Vale nodded, "I was thinking it might be interesting to take them out to some of the nearby ruins. Plenty of scavengers go through them so they should be plenty safe, and it would be a good chance to talk about how things were before. Maybe they'll even find something that the scavengers missed?" She shrugged, "Who knows? But if you've got some ideas I'd love to hear them."

It was about then that the young ponies noticed that the two had been talking for a while and got curious, coming over to hear what they were talking about.

@Illiad Easle

(Null)

22 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

Ardee spoke up there, "She's seemed fine, happy even, when she was caring for us. But I didn't know her before, so I don't know if that's an improvement or not."

"She was nervous. A shaking wreck, fearful of most everyone else.

*sigh* It was my fault... We had some bad experiences, and I start pushing everyone away. Told her that we couldn't trust anyone, and reminded her that anyone might end up trying to hurt us. All cause I was too afraid that I'd lose her too. The only good thing in my wretched little life, and I ended up making a mess out of her. Sometimes I wonder if I had just... Been gone suddenly, if it wouldn't have helped her more, than any *protection* from my side would. I certainly didn't do her any favors, by being overzealous.

But I can't change it. I'm gone now, and it sounds like she's blossoming. No wonder really. Always knew she'd do well with foals. She's got that motherly gene running strong. Never been able to imagine her without a flock of her own, if she'd just get the chance to meet somepony. Though I ain't too fond of the one she seems to gravitate slowly towards...

*sigh* I'm rambling again. Sorry. Let's get going."

It wasn't easy to look at the past, and admit that she hadn't always been good for Void. Sure she had kept her safe, and saved her life many times, but then, if she hadn't been there,. how much saving would she have needed? How much protection, if she hadn't convinced her that the whole world was dangerous, and that she could only ever trust her big sister? What if she had let Void get adopted, one of the several times that had seemed possible? What wouldn't a stable home, and proper education not have done for her?

She didn't know, but it nagged at her. Filled her with guilt, over how she had been. Cause even though the therapist hadn't said it, she swore that she could see it in her eyes. The judgement, silently calling out Null for having been selfish, and so afraid of being alone, that she would even harm the one, that she claimed to care for, more than anyone else. The therapist claimed she didn't judge on it. That Null were just deflecting her own guilt on to her instead, to make it easier for her to blame someone else. She wasn't sure if the shrink were so right about that, but it gave her pause sometimes, when she thought back on things. Was a lot easier to accept things, before she had gone and done that.

Ardee and Arcade shared a look and shrugged, Arcade commenting, "They've been good enough to us while we've been here, and before they weren't any worse towards us than the other creatures. The sane ones at least."

They didn't seem hesitant about meeting the changelings, more concerned as to whether they'd be welcome just walking in. "So," Ardee asked, "Are we allowed to go inside? Or are we just here to see it from the outside?"

"Dunno. Seemed open the last time, but let's see what happens."

SHe'd move towards it, yet they had not gone far, before the doors opened, and a dozen changelings, carrying heavy bags of gel, would rush out, and start spreading into different directions. Right behind them, would be Upbeat, waving them away, as they went on yet another food run.

"Make sure to hit Nilth Street!

...Huh? Oh, it's you two!"

He had noticed them a little after, and seeing Null and Arcade, made him go into a big grin, and go closer. Hard not to remember those. Their size, their odd visuals- They were quite notable. THough he did get slightly confused as he got closer, and looked at Null.

"What?"

"It feels different around you. Not as... Blank, I guess is the right word?"

"I got de-nullified, or whatever the term is. It's been a weird week."

"...Well okay then. Didn't expect it, but good for you. Must be a relief.

And you seem to have brought a friend along. Hey there. I'm Upbeat, of Hive Cheshire. How're you doing today?"

He'd address the face he had never seen, with a warm smile, and a theatrical bow, while he were at it. Been a working day now, and he could use even a fraction of fun, before the duties would return. Sure they had now send out the food run, but they needed to go and empty the vats again in a few hours too. There were plenty to do here.

(Void)

Vale chuckled at that before she saw how serious Void looked about it, shaking off the mirth. "I don't doubt it. I'm sure the damage you did when you thought your sister was in danger will be nothing compared to what you'll do if these ones are in trouble."

"It's different. My sister can protect herself, but these are defenseless, innocent foals. She and I, we've been in a place like that before... Defenseless and scared, not knowing what to do, and no kind soul to turn to... I won't let them go through anything like that, if it can be helped. Not any of them. They've seen too much hardness in their lives already."

Her parents were not perfect, but they were not the sort, who'd ever hurt her, or Null. But when they had to go on the run, and experienced the world as small foals, having to try and survive... You ran into a lot of creatures, who felt like they could do whatever they wanted. Who was gonna care, about a couple of homeless foals after all? The police? Few had bothered to even listen to them, if they spoke about being kicked around, or having rocks thrown at them, among other things. When more... Unsavory attempts were made, and Null hurt them, they came for the two of them instead, not caring about them being the victims, just trying to defend themselves.

Sometimes they had come to orphanages, but both times, it had been a nightmare. The first the head mistress liked to try and keep the foals in line with beatings, and the second, one of the orderly tried to... She didn't want to think about it, though she know it haunted Null, for a long time. Might even be one of the things that still did, seeing what she barely managed to stop, before rushing them away from the bleeding stallion, and vowing to never let them get caught up in a place like that again.

There were too many things like that, in their past. And while she did have her sister to turn to, she also had to bear witness to one who didn't have anyone. Her sister, who needed to weather so much for them both, yet had no one to truly turn to... Null were an extreme, but seeing that barely hidden pain in her eyes, were not something she wanted to see from another foal, ever again. Especially not ones that she knew.

So she'd be there for these unfortunate younglings. Didn't matter if it were a today, tomorrow, or in forty years. If she drew breath, she'd be there, and she'd listen. Potentially act too, if what she were told were... Unseemly. It were what she wish she could have done for her sister, but had failed at, because she didn't act in time to save her. A failure she'd have to live with, but not one she had to repeat.

On 2023-06-02 at 9:23 PM, Illiad Easle said:

She looked unsure, but nodded, "Alright, I'll trust your decisions when it comes to them. I know you won't do anything intentionally to hurt them."

In regards to planning trips into the town, Vale nodded, "I was thinking it might be interesting to take them out to some of the nearby ruins. Plenty of scavengers go through them so they should be plenty safe, and it would be a good chance to talk about how things were before. Maybe they'll even find something that the scavengers missed?" She shrugged, "Who knows? But if you've got some ideas I'd love to hear them."

It seemed the Molotov situation were dealt with more or less, for the time being, leaving them room to think of the future, of the young ponies in their midst.

"I think that sounds like a lovely idea. I'd need to prepare my weapons though, just in case. Can't be too careful after all."

On 2023-06-02 at 9:23 PM, Illiad Easle said:

It was about then that the young ponies noticed that the two had been talking for a while and got curious, coming over to hear what they were talking about.

Void would turn to the younglings as they approached, warm smile on her face.

"Oh hey. I guess we've been talking a bit long now, huh? Well, it's because we have some good news, but wanted to think of how to tell you all.

Vale? You were the one that came with them. How about you tell them? I'm sure they'll be thrilled."

It seemed only fair, that Vale did so, as she had been the one to come with the news, that they could come out and about. She also made a good plan for what they could do, though they would need some prep time for the ruins. Still, didn't seem like it'd hurt to let them know about it, right?

@Blitz Boom

(Null)

Neither Arcade nor Ardee were qualified to help Null work through those issues, so they simply let Null talk and moved on when she indicated she wanted to.

On 2023-06-03 at 2:33 PM, Blitz Boom said:

And you seem to have brought a friend along. Hey there. I'm Upbeat, of Hive Cheshire. How're you doing today?"

Ardee's attention had been on the interior of the building, and she was a bit disappointed that, other than being inhabited by changelings, the building didn't look all that different from other buildings. Honestly Ardee didn't know what she had expected, but she had anticipated there being at least some difference. Maybe that was deeper into the building? And this was just a façade? 

She was a bit startled when she noticed that she had been addressed, "Oh, sorry, I'm Ardee. I'm doing okay. Some other changelings gave me a tour of the hotel earlier. I don't know if you know them, but they were nice."

(Void)

On 2023-06-03 at 2:33 PM, Blitz Boom said:

"Oh hey. I guess we've been talking a bit long now, huh? Well, it's because we have some good news, but wanted to think of how to tell you all.

Vale? You were the one that came with them. How about you tell them? I'm sure they'll be thrilled."

Vale was surprised that Void wanted her to tell them, as she had figured that Void would want to share that moment with them, but shrugged before turning her attention to the gathered ponies. "Well, now that you're going to school, and will be meeting other creatures there, the Consul thinks that it's alright for us to start taking you outside more often and without worrying about being seen like the first few times we went out. That means that on days when you don't have school we'll be planning some trips to go on, even outside the city, so you two can see places that Elef has gone to with the guard."

They all looked excited by that.

Vale continued, "That also means that you don't have to come straight home from school if you want to spend some extra time with the other students, and you can bring them over here if you want. Just try and let us know in advance, so we can have some more food ready for them, alright?"

They nodded at that.

(I don't know what else we can do here, we can skip to the next school day unless Void wants to talk to Toupé tonight.)

@Illiad Easle

(Null)

"Oh sure I do. I know most changelings in this town. We have ourselves a tightly knitted network, since my sisters and I, started to run help for our scattered kin, from the comfort of our old theater. Cheshire will be proud that we kept up her tradition of helping others, when she one day returns to us."

Null didn't say a thing about that. She felt fairly sure that their queen were dead, but she genuinely felt bad, even thinking about saying it, since the remnants of that queen's hive, seemed like such genuinely good changelings. And she didn't see how she had a right to attack their hope. Though she doubted they'd believe her anyway. It'd take someone far more credible than her, to shake their faith.

"And I sure know the hotel. My sister's in charge of it. Honestly, since Cheshire went missing, she's been leading not just the three of us from the hive, but the whole city hive. She's stepped up fully as our queen now, and she's doing wonderfully.

Ah, but what brings you here, if I can ask?"

"Trying to show Ardee around. I figured this were a good place to go after we got set up at the hotel."

"Certainly is. Wanna come in? I'll show you around. Means I can show off the start of our new dwelling too! I've been so excited to show that off."

Upbeat would signal for them to follow him, and open the door into the old theater. It were still not used as a theater, but it had gotten a bit more of a shine, and they had moved the worst chairs and stuff out proper now, refurbished some things to allow for more room to wander around, and repaired some holes in the ground better, for a start. They also had new blankets and pillows and such. Nothing expensive, but it were better than the rags they relied on before, and that were what were important. Besides, all the real work were below.

There were some other changelings wandering around, though mostly some doing repairs. With things more in motion, from Rasputin's influence, a lot of those who had lost hope and just sat around, were doing things. Even the most nervous of them, had their parts to play, and did so. Albeit a fair few of those were below ground, where they felt more comfortable.

"So, would you like a tour of the old theater first, or do you want to see the work we've begun on the new hive? And don't let the looks fool you. This place used to be grand. A lot of happy memories of shows playing out, night after night, in the hay days of Las Pegasus. Of course, that were before the war, and we had to refurbish, once the town were taken back. It wouldn't do much good as shelter for our scattered kin, if we kept it all the same.

We're hoping to get it back to that later, once the hive's been made proper, and we can use the space again. It'd be nice seeing this place light up, with song and dance once more."

(Void)

"Just try and stay safe, if you're out playing with your classmates, okay? And be home before dinner. And if you bring a friend home, please ask them if they have any allergies. It'll help make sure that we don't accidentally give them something they can't handle."

Sounded like they had some lovely classmates, so she were sure it wouldn't take too long, before they'd bring some with them. It'd be nice to see them socialize like that, and get a good luck at who they were hanging out with in school in general. She were sure they were fine, but she meant more like a visual aid, to know what they looked like. She'd also need to have chats with parents if it came to that then... A little nerve-wracking to think about, but it'd be fine. One step at a time.

Void would have things go along as they usually did the rest of the day, and after it, would be on her way to go home, see to her parents and siblings, and when things were calm there, go to the desert. Unless they didn't go calm, if the infants had a screaming night, and she could somehow help keep them calm by staying there. She could wait with the desert to the next day if it were, but if not, she'd go out there after they had fallen asleep. She had some things to discuss with Molotov, before she'd eventually get to bed.

As for Toupé, Void were not going to talk with her about this. She were planning on knowing what could be done first, and then talk with Vale about it, and then see where things went from there. So far, Toupé did not seem to be suffering from not having wings, or longing towards the sky, so might be that they wouldn't have to do anything at all. But as were said before, it were better to have it on hoof, if it were, just in case.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

(Null)

On 2023-06-10 at 3:20 AM, Blitz Boom said:

We're hoping to get it back to that later, once the hive's been made proper, and we can use the space again. It'd be nice seeing this place light up, with song and dance once more."

Ardee was happy to hear that there was more to the hive than was readily apparent, and Arcade was also interested in seeing what a real changeling hive looked like. Hopefully it would be different than what the corrupted changelings were building.

Ardee was the one to speak up, "Could we see the hive first? If you don't mind."

(Void)

Her siblings were growing well, and their parents, while they had their hooves full with the pair, were handling things about as well as could be expected, and had no shortage of neighbors and friends willing to step in, so Void didn't have to worry, allowing her to head out to the desert.

(If you want to do something in the morning before school, you can have Void go to the house, otherwise you can have Cherish show up at school to start the next scene.)

@Illiad Easle

(Null)

"No problem with that. just follow me."

He'd lead them further into the theater, and then stop right before they would wander up on the scene. Then he'd lift up the front of it, revealing there to be a hatch, leading downwards into a wide tunnel, where the wound of workers could be heard below.

"It's a temporary entrance, while we're building out the main settlement. It's easier to get to from here, y'know?"

He'd lead them down into the tunnel. They'd be able to see the walls even up here, were reinforced with shining liquid at intervals.

"Upstairs, we've long since painted over these, but this here's class A material for reinforcing a hive, and making sure there isn't a collapse. Worked well to repair the ceiling and walls upstairs too."

"What is that?"

"Changeling bile. I know it sounds nasty, but it hardens pretty quickly, and really helps add some structural integrity into things. It's not all we do of course, but it's part of it. Can't risk a collapse, getting us all trapped down here."

He'd lead them further in, and the next thing they'd see, would be branching tunnels, light shining at intervals above them, to let them see where they were going. They had some other methods for adding some more *natura* lighting later, but first off came the digging, and the reinforcing, etc. Light was among the last thing to add. Along with beds as needed, and the soft padding they'd need for the egg room. *sigh* He really looked forward to that one. No real queen in Las Pegasus, and so many of the known queens dead, left many without hope. If his sister rose as a proper queen, and filled a room like that, with the promise of a new generation, it would do a lot to lift spirits.

He'd lead them to the left, which would soon after expand into a much larger room, with changelings all around, either hacking away at the walls, reinforcing them, or carrying debris into carts, ready to be taken out and disposed off later.

"It doesn't look like much now, but eventually, this room's gonna be able to house many changelings. Traditionally, we have alcoves in the walls for each, like you can see over there."

He'd point in one spot, where a large, mean-looking changeling, were currently carving out a hole in the wall, with his magic, then rolling the rocks left over the side carefully, as to not hit anyone below. Another did stand down there, grabbing the debris with their magic, and transporting it into a cart, but it were easier if the one on top, didn't throw things carelessly over the side.

(Void)

In the morning, before school would start, Void would come in and prepare for them to get there. As she assumed today were going o be a proper school day, she had to be ready, with them getting lunchboxes, and water with them. She had procured some half liter, old school water pouches for them to make use of for now. There were things like thermal insulated bottles to use, but she had to go with what she had been able to get hold of, and this one she had managed to find enough off, from one of the scavengers. She had not brought them along yesterday, because she had still been soaking them in cleaning fluids, and then had to scrub through them proper afterwards. They might look clean, but she knew well where the scavengers tended to find such items, and she did not want corpse dust, or worse, in them.

It should be so that when they were all awake, she'd be ready with the packs for them to take along later, and just be starting on preparing their breakfast. The morning beyond that, before school, would be somewhat uneventful. Most interesting one might bring up, were that Void seemed to have writing on her face, around the eye socket, containing her false eye. Seemed to be mostly measurements, along with a few other, incomprehensible scribbles. It were easy enough to see, since it were done with a white writing tool. Potentially chalk of some sort.

As for school, once the others would arrive, they'd just be able to see the tail of Crow, slipping around a corner, and then Cherish waving in that direction, until said tail were fully out of sight. She seemed to be in a good mood yet again, beaming with her small rucksack of school stuff, as well as her own lunch and water.

@Blitz Boom

(Null) 

Arcade and Ardee watched intently as they traveled, in regards to the tunnel Arcade spoke, "You know, this isn't too dissimilar to the tunnel we used to get out of the facility." He turned to Null, "You know, the one you found us in. Maybe that tunnel was also dug by changelings?"

He turned to their guide, "Do you know of any changelings that lived outside of the city prior to the crisis? Maybe that worked for Celestia's School or TrUST at Red Mesa?" (I don't have plans for any if you don't want to put anyone there, just figured it would be a conversation point.)

(Void)

On 2023-06-14 at 1:56 AM, Blitz Boom said:

Most interesting one might bring up, were that Void seemed to have writing on her face, around the eye socket, containing her false eye. Seemed to be mostly measurements, along with a few other, incomprehensible scribbles. It were easy enough to see, since it were done with a white writing tool. Potentially chalk of some sort.

Toupé would not miss that, and would bring it up, "Miss Void? Why do you have writing around your eye? Is something wrong with it?"

On 2023-06-14 at 1:56 AM, Blitz Boom said:

As for school, once the others would arrive, they'd just be able to see the tail of Crow, slipping around a corner, and then Cherish waving in that direction, until said tail were fully out of sight. She seemed to be in a good mood yet again, beaming with her small rucksack of school stuff, as well as her own lunch and water.

Lilac and Nova would arrive soon after the young ponies, the former riding on her brother's back as he flew down from above, hopping off as soon as he reached the ground to run for the school building.

Everyone would wave to each other as they moved to the seats that they had assigned themselves the previous day and waited for Gypsum to start the lesson.

(I realized in re-reading an earlier section that I forgot to have Gypsum talk differently. When she was introduced she talked a certain way but then when she was teaching she talked normally. I'll have her talk the way she did when she was introduced today, and then we can decide which is preferred moving forward. Gypsum was first introduced on page 52 post #1282 for a refresher)

"Good morning students, this one had big-fun plans for learning today, but got very-good news that gave this one better learning plans for today!"

She looked genuinely excited as she went to write on the board, spelling out the word 'Library'. Turning back towards the class she asked, "Gypsum is curious, show hooves, who knows what-is library?"

Perhaps surprisingly, none of the young ponies raised their hooves, and of the thestrals only Nova raised a hoof, he looked curious himself as he looked around the room to see that most of the other ponies did not raise a hoof.

Gypsum looked surprised that so many did not know about libraries, but her excitement grew, "Then this lesson will be big-good, much-learning, wow!"

Gypsum would ask Nova, "What-is Library Nova?"

"It's a big building with lots of books of all kinds."

Gypsum would nod, and if Cherish had raised her hoof, she'd give her an opportunity to add to Nova's description.

@Illiad Easle

(Null)

"Hmmm... Maybe? I mean, I never met anyone from TrUST before the war. I just heard rumors about them, and stories that sounded anywhere from outlandish to dangerous. Like Equestria's Center Zero, in a way.

As for the school, I did meet a few. Before the war, we were pretty much the hive you'd come to, in case you had trouble. We've always had food to spare, and were willing to help a fellow changeling that had hit hard times, so we'd have plenty that came to us to lay low for a while, or collect some of our excess food, for a hive that had outgrown their own food storage, too fast for them to replenish. Or had accidents, a boom of new changeling larvae, etc. We also heard a lot of rumors, since creatures likes to talk in this town. Even more before the war.

So I did meet a couple about a year before the war broke out, that said they were part of a coalition of various changelings, that had come together to work directly for Princess Celestia. I think it might have been some sort of agreement with King Thorax, cause most were from his hive, though they had made connections with a fair bit of smaller hives, that needed the good will of the kingdom, and a large hive in good standing, to get on a good hoof. I suspect some were also just tired of being seen as monsters, after the incident with Chrysalis, and hoped doing this would help show that they were not all bad.

Whatever the case, they had to start on some sort of project, but it had turned out they had too many mouths to feed, and hadn't thought far enough on how to keep them all sated. So they asked if we could help. We sent them back with a wagon full of emotional jelly, as well as one of the hiveless, that my sister had been training in harvesting emotions well. He wanted to do something important, so he gladly joined them. We heard from him for a few months after that, before the letters just stopped. The guards told us that they were busy on some sort of big project, but that he couldn't tell us more.

Maybe they dug those tunnels you talk about? That'd certainly take up a fair bit of their time, if it were a large network.

As for changelings just living outside of the city? There were tons. Newer hives are one thing, but this area used to attract a fair bit of hiveless every now and again. Usually because they knew that there'd be open hooves, and a warm smile for them from out hive, when a fair few others would shun them. I can't say what they might've worked on, while we weren't looking. Maybe some of those who took over where our old hive used to be, decided to expand?"

He'd lead them back where they had come from, and took the other path. This one would take a while before it went into a bigger chamber, but when it did, it were certainly a notable one. Sure the other room were big too, but this were not having others focus on making the walls filled with holes where changelings might rest in. Instead, it were focused entirely on having the walls that were excavated to the right size, covered in changeling bile, on every inch, whilst workers not fluttering around and doing that, were split into three groups. One would continue to expand the room, though it seemed the largest part of it were dealt with now, considering the reinforcements. The second group were at the walls, filing down the bile, and using sandpaper, to make sure that it would be smooth, and have no chance of any edges to it.

The third group would work on ground, clearing the floor, as well as preparing several small pillars of rock, that were either part of the floor and were being finished work on, or were being attached to it. They were at various sizes, though none were taller than a regular changeling, and all had a solid base, for something around the size of a cat to sit comfortably upon.

The whole room had a bit of a sour smell to it. As said, changeling bile were good at what it did, but well, one of the side effects, were a bad smell. At least when in these quantities, and with no air vent in the room itself, but instead in the rooms before this. They were working on it though.

"What's this room then?"

"This is going to be the playroom for the infants. Once they get past the larval stage, they need someplace with a bit more size to it, where they can stretch their wings, and start to grow into big and strong changelings. It's one of several rooms, that's gonna be needed. We also need a nursery, a sleeping area, and of course, some places for educating, based on what sort of specialized skills they have. A proper hive takes up a lot of space. Gonna be different from the one we had before Las Pegasus, that's for sure. We were so few, that we didn't need a lot of space."

(Void)

On 2023-06-19 at 8:41 PM, Illiad Easle said:

Toupé would not miss that, and would bring it up, "Miss Void? Why do you have writing around your eye? Is something wrong with it?"

"Oh, I thought I had cleaned it off. Don't worry hun, nothing's wrong with it. I just had some measurements taken, for a new false eye. I guess I must have been a little distracted, and not cleaned my face as well as I should afterwards.

Sometimes it's good to replace missing parts, if you can upgrade them to something better. And I think it's about time that I get around to doing that.

Thank you for letting me know though, Toupé. I'll wash it off, before I go to the market later."

She'd go in close, and give Toupé a hug, if the young mare would allow it. Her darling little attentive mare. Dealt such a horrible, horrible hoof in her early life, but just look at her now. Attentive, curious, and concerned for the well being of others. It wasn't everyone who managed to get through things as well as her. Even though part of it, were because she didn't know one of the worst injustices that had been done to her.

"Good morning students, this one had big-fun plans for learning today, but got very-good news that gave this one better learning plans for today!"

She looked genuinely excited as she went to write on the board, spelling out the word 'Library'. Turning back towards the class she asked, "Gypsum is curious, show hooves, who knows what-is library?"

Cherish had been happy when the various ponies had arrived, ready for today's lesson. And today would probably end up being more of a real school day, after the introductions yesterday. Not something everyone looked forward to, but Cherish liked it. It gave a feel of normalcy in things again, that she really liked the idea of. Even if it did mean having to do math.

As for the class itself, it were also nice to see the enthusiastic Gypsum, and then waiting to hear what today's lesson were, that had her so fired up. And it seemed to be about libraries. Cherish's hoof would shoot up from the question, as she had been to not just one, but several libraries, before the war broke out. The one in Canterlot had been massive. Always more books than a single being could get through, before they got new stock, unless they lived at the library, and only read, she supposed. But who'd do that? Beyond Princess Twilight that were. She had heard that the new alicorn liked to read a lot.

Gypsum would ask Nova, "What-is Library Nova?"

"It's a big building with lots of books of all kinds."

Gypsum would nod, and if Cherish had raised her hoof, she'd give her an opportunity to add to Nova's description.

"Libraries are public buildings, were you can go in and either read, or borrow books. Some libraries in Equestria were so big, they even had library wagons, that travel around to encourage reading in places like smaller towns, that can't afford a library of their own. Canterlot's library were very proud of having that."

It also helped bring books to those who couldn't walk out and get them as easily. like foals in hospitals, or prisons. Prisoners were allowed reading materials too after all, long as they behaved proper.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

@Blitz Boom

(Null) 

Arcade looked more interested in what the changeling was saying than Ardee, who lost interest once they started talking about Celestia.

Once they got to the nursery areas of the hive Arcade looked confused, "Forgive me if I'm wrong, I don't have too much experience with changelings after all, but don't you need a Queen to make new changelings? I didn't know you had a changeling queen here."

(Void)

On 2023-06-21 at 2:26 AM, Blitz Boom said:

Thank you for letting me know though, Toupé. I'll wash it off, before I go to the market later."

Toupé was still curious, and her perceptive nature started to shine through here, "You made the eye you have right now, right? Why aren't you making the new one?" At least to Toupé, it was obvious that Void had someone else take the measurements. It didn't make sense to take notes on your own body in a place you'd need a mirror to see, and, given the notes weren't mirrored, it was obvious that someone else had taken the notes.

On 2023-06-21 at 2:26 AM, Blitz Boom said:

"Libraries are public buildings, were you can go in and either read, or borrow books. Some libraries in Equestria were so big, they even had library wagons, that travel around to encourage reading in places like smaller towns, that can't afford a library of their own. Canterlot's library were very proud of having that."

It also helped bring books to those who couldn't walk out and get them as easily. like foals in hospitals, or prisons. Prisoners were allowed reading materials too after all, long as they behaved proper.

Gypsum nodded again, "Very-good both of you. A library is typically seen as a place where knowledge is stored, and usually this is books. Sometimes, this includes speaker-historians and other knowledge-keepers."

She looked over the class again, "Maybe some of you have met a speaker-historian?"

Elef's hoof went up, and Gypsum nodded for him to continue, "At the Fastar Clan festival, there was an old thestral who called herself a Chronicler. She told us stories of the clan's history."

Gypsum nodded, "Very-good, oral-history is very common for cultures who do much-travel, or who did much-travel. It is easier to move memories than books. Diamond Dogs like this one often have speaker-historians in larger dens, though it is also every dam's job to pass her history on to her pups."

Some of the students reacted to Gypsum's use of the word 'dam' given it's more popular homophone, and Gypsum sighed, "That is problem with pony-speak, not enough adjectives and using good-words for bad-things. Dam in this context is a mother-dog."

She shook it off and moved on, "Today, we will be spending time in the library, and if you are all good-behaved, we will get to meet a speaker-historian! First though," she passed out some papers for them to write on, "Think of some things you want to learn more about, subjects or questions you have. Then once we're there this one will show you how to use the helper-researchers to find the answers."

She would give them a moment to think about what they wanted to know, Lilac electing to draw a picture of her question instead of using words since she wasn't good at spelling yet. 

Edited by Illiad Easle

(edited)

@Illiad Easle

(Null)

"*sigh* We do, yes. Frankly bringing that up have long caused a sour mood to spread. Sure we help those who are here, and we hang in like a hive should, but some have been feeling hopeless, cause there were no queen. And no queen, means we're finite. A depressing thought, that we've tried to help them steer away from for years.

But there's hope on the horizon. A light, that's lit a spark under the hooves of most, and really lit a fire in their hearts. It's refreshing, and heart-warming."

"So you have a queen coming?"

"Yes. And we will make sure that everything's perfect, when the time comes for glistening new eggs, to line a part of the hive. Though I hope you can understand that where exactly things are will be kept to ourselves."

"You're thinking of the safety of kids. I can respect that."

"Thank you for being understanding.

But well, this is pretty much all we have to show for now. We've only recently begun in earnest, but everyone is doing a lot of good work here. I'd join them if I could, but there's enough to do upstairs. With our sister needing to handle the casino, Gloop and I have to make sure that our kind keeps fed and busy.

So, wanna see the old theater? It might not look like much, but back in the day, it looked like even less. We were given it when it were threatening to collapse, but we repaired, and made it a good, respectable place again. Then the war happened, and when we got back, it were in shambles again. It's still home though, so worth the effort put into it. Though I do miss the grand theater that used to be played out here, back then. *sigh* But times change, yeah? Just have to adapt and commence."

Sure he missed those days, but their kin had needed for the Cheshire hive to adapt to different needs, and he would never regret the great work they had done. They might be theater changelings, but Cheshire had instilled in them a great sense of kinship, and a need to prioritize and nurture their kin first. Especially in times of need. And if that time hadn't been right after the war, then when would it ever have been?

(Void)

On 2023-06-22 at 9:42 PM, Illiad Easle said:

Toupé was still curious, and her perceptive nature started to shine through here, "You made the eye you have right now, right? Why aren't you making the new one?" At least to Toupé, it was obvious that Void had someone else take the measurements. It didn't make sense to take notes on your own body in a place you'd need a mirror to see, and, given the notes weren't mirrored, it was obvious that someone else had taken the notes.

"Nothing gets past my smart little cookie, heh. You're right, I'm getting some help with the next one, to make it a little more special. You'll see soon enough, okay?.

And don't worry about it being dangerous. I wouldn't take big risks, when I have all of you to think about too.

Could I ask if you'd please keep it from the others though, at least for now? I want it to be a surprise."

She wouldn't demand it of the young mare, but Void would appreciate it, if Toupé could keep it to herself for now. If things went right, it would be something interesting. If it didn't... Well, she still had her false eye. Wasn't like she were going to throw it out. That would be meaningless after all.

She'd go and clean up her face right after speaking with Toupé, to avoid the others getting concerned and suspicious too. Though she doubted they'd catch on as quickly. Toupé were a very attentive young mare, and Void felt happy about that. She'd go places, with a mind like that. No doubt about that.

Some of the students reacted to Gypsum's use of the word 'dam' given it's more popular homophone, and Gypsum sighed, "That is problem with pony-speak, not enough adjectives and using good-words for bad-things. Dam in this context is a mother-dog."

Cherish had been confused for a moment, and thought that they were speaking about an actual dam, like with water and stuff, but the clarification helped. A new word that she had to keep in mind, when it came to diamond dogs it seemed. A neat little fact as it were, and on that she'd try and remember. It were fun learning about stuff like race-specific words for things.

She shook it off and moved on, "Today, we will be spending time in the library, and if you are all good-behaved, we will get to meet a speaker-historian! First though," she passed out some papers for them to write on, "Think of some things you want to learn more about, subjects or questions you have. Then once we're there this one will show you how to use the helper-researchers to find the answers."

She would give them a moment to think about what they wanted to know, Lilac electing to draw a picture of her question instead of using words since she wasn't good at spelling yet. 

Cherish had gone to work on filling out the paper with the sorta things she wanted to learn. She already had her interests before this, but now she had added one more: Diamond dog specific language. She had gotten curious, and with Gypsum as their teacher, it were probably good to see if there were more things to learn, that would make things easier if she heard more stuff like dam, or spoke with other diamond dogs.

She had also added that she wanted to learn about dragons and their hobbies. That one cam down a lot to her friend. She wanted to see if maybe she could learn of something fun, that her and Crow could do together. Or maybe find out where that branding she had came from. She refused to talk about it, but it seemed like she didn't like it.

In the vein of that, she had also added that she wanted to see if there were a book about knitting or sowing socks.  There were Crow's glasses too, yes, but she had been told that Void were a glass blower. Maybe she could have a chat with her, to see if she could repair glasses, when she met her the next time? Didn't hurt to ask after all, right? Not that Crow were too bothered about it. She only needed them to read things, but still, it never hurt to know ways, that you might be able to help your friends.

"Hehe, lots to look for. This outta be fun."

Edited by Blitz Boom
  • Brohoof 1