Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

EqG Digital Series: Season 2 - Discussion

Toon4Thought

Unlike season 1, it seems like the shorts are actually debuting on YouTube one per week this time, so I figured it's best we simply have one thread cover the shorts for this year.

We're starting this off with a music video that's very much waifu fuel. If you love human Rarity, safe to say this is for you.

The song itself isn't the best lyrically, but the visuals and rhythm are just so imaginative and neat. Great start to season 2, I'd say. FiM should really consider using John Boyd (he did this one) or Mason Rather as well; I love Daniel Ingram and all, but his work has honestly gotten a little same-y in recent years.

• Brohoof 6

After Rollercoaster of Friendship was done being released on Youtube, I expected there to be a break between releasing episodes of EQG, so I was surprised when I saw this today.

But I have to say that this was a pretty good start to season 2 of the shorts, and honestly with this and So Much More to Me, I can see some great songs coming in EQG's future.

• Brohoof 3

I guess this is their way of tiding us over until the next Equestria Girls special comes along. I'm actually okay with this.

• Brohoof 2

3 hours ago, Toon4Thought said:

We're starting this off with a music video that's very much waifu fuel. If you love human Rarity, safe to say this is for you.

No kidding. :mlp_bedeyes:

I should probably call 911 for this nosebleed. :wub:

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 1

The song was pretty good but not one of my outright favorites in EqG – the chorus was a bit of a letdown, though I have to say it's probably one of the most modern-sounding in the series. But Rarity was simply stunning! :darling:

• Brohoof 3

The song felt like generic pop, didn't like that, and the seductive poses and "shots" were too cliched for me.

A step down since 'Five to Nine' and 'So Much More to Me'.

Edit: although, the random dolphin at the end was funny.

Edited by DonMaguz
  • Brohoof 2

3 hours ago, Toon4Thought said:

Unlike season 1, it seems like the shorts are actually debuting on YouTube one per week this time.

And technically, didn't Season 1 already release their episodes weekly on Friday in America, depending on your time zone? Honestly, nothing's changed schedule-wise.

Edited by Happy Yoshi

(edited)
29 minutes ago, Happy Yoshi said:

And technically, didn't Season 1 already release their episodes weekly on Friday in America, depending on your time zone? Honestly, nothing's changed schedule-wise.

They did, but they all appeared on Discovery Family Go first (or, in Road Tripped's case, the MLP Movie DVD of all places). Not the case here.

Edited by Toon4Thought
  • Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Toon4Thought said:

They did, but they all appeared on Discovery Family Go first (or, in Road Tripped's case, the MLP Movie DVD of all places). Not the case here.

I was talking about how every Friday for most of the year, an new Digital short was added to Hasbro's YouTube channel. NOWHERE have I ever a thing about Discovery Family Go. Never even heard of Discovery Family Go. Not since I lost access to the channel August 2016 did I ever care about Discovery Family.

I like how the people making this show continue to experiment both with musical genre and with what they can get away with. There might come a point where overtly seductive facial expressions in My Little Pony won't be funny to me, but today isn't that day, and this is an okay attempt at contemporary dance-pop. I think the lyrics do a solid job of expressing Rarity's personality, just as "Five to Nine" and "So Much More to Me" did. As a modern dance song, though, I think the instrumental could be stronger; the instrumental riffs are clearly the main hook here, so I would have liked them to be a bit more intense. Still, it's nice to see this show branching out. One of these days I'll get my full-on hip-pop song, just you wait. 

Edited by AlexanderThrond

4 hours ago, Bas said:

I wonder, can't we post in here whenever a new short or sth is released? So nobody misses anything.

Go for it; I say. :)

6 hours ago, heavens-champion said:

Have you noticed they didn't release a new short last Friday?

Yeah, it makes me wonder if the second season has actually officially begun yet, or if that Rarity music video was just an extension of season 1. I mean, it's in the season 1 playlist on Hasbro's channel. 

• Brohoof 2

3 hours ago, AlexanderThrond said:

Yeah, it makes me wonder if the second season has actually officially begun yet, or if that Rarity music video was just an extension of season 1. I mean, it's in the season 1 playlist on Hasbro's channel. 

It probably was part of season 1 TBH, and that we're currently on a little hiatus that more likely than not will end before the year is over anyway.

Regardless though, it's nice to have a central place to discuss the shorts.

2 minutes ago, Toon4Thought said:

It probably was part of season 1 TBH, and that we're currently on a little hiatus that more likely than not will end before the year is over anyway.

Regardless though, it's nice to have a central place to discuss the shorts.

Yeah, for a while there wasn't really anywhere here for Equestria Girls shorts discussion. 

@Jeric I've just wasted spent 2 minutes of my life staring into her eyes blankly.

So, considering there's NMR on the line, does it mean you need someone removed? Something stolen? Am I to blackmail somebody? Y'know that NMR is a valuable coin (metaphorically speaking, I'd never turn her into a tool) in Khajiit's eyes.

PS: The video itself scared me :x No. Just no. Like, no. No no no. I mean sure yes for Rarity, but no to the video. Ugh. No. It struck really wrong nerves in my head. Although the black costume was indeed nice. Started wondering if she is aiming to become a Queen on the Wall tho.