Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Artifacts more potent than unicorn magic?

ManaMinori

There was something that was said by Neighsay, in the season 8 finale that artifacts were more potent than unicorn magic, which got me thinking....was it always this way, or were they only more potent when the unicorn magic can't be used? What do you guys think?

• Brohoof 1

It something I mentioned elsewhere but it seems to me that ponies don't do magic items in the way other sources (dnd, harry potter, ghost sweeper mikami) do. They only tend to make an item for a very specific reason and the ones that do exist (Inspiration manifestation, alicorn amulet, crystal heart) are all more in line with artifact level of power. Its only in the latest season we've even seen items that can duplicate something a normal unicorn can do e.g. the portal amulet and we don't know any comparisons about distance/barriers there. Although Twilight did say most unicorns can only do a few spells related to their talent so even that amulet is borderline. There's plenty of magic as indicated by their cake preservation spell but not a lot of magical items. We know there's a bring objects to life spell as Twilight uses it but we never see a self-sweeping broom, every unicorn can create light via their horn but they use electric lights instead of magical ones. We've seen an occasional exception like the super easy cider squeezy 6000 but they aren't in common use.

(edited)
4 hours ago, Brainstorm said:

I think the Artifacts are probably like the Pillars Artifacts and Elements of Harmony, depends on how they're used and who wields them.

The Pillar talismans and the Elements seem to have been created by some kind of outside divine force though. Especially what the Pillars had, and the way they came into being is more in-line with the gifts that were given to the Mane 6 that became the keys that unlocked the chest. Rockhoof didn't really do anything to cause the shovel to become magical, it just kinda happened, and in-turn gave him a godly strength in true Mjolnir fashion. Some of the talismans could have been forged with magic long ago, but some were clearly not.

The idea of a divine power behind it all... some kind of "manifest destiny" thing going on, fits perfectly in line with the idea of cutie marks. The appearance of cutie marks, the Talismans, the Elements, and "ponying up" in E.G. are all linked to moments characters show a strong manifestation of their true nature.

On 10/5/2018 at 11:05 PM, Nightmare Muffin said:

There was something that was said by Neighsay, in the season 8 finale that artifacts were more potent than unicorn magic, which got me thinking....was it always this way, or were they only more potent when the unicorn magic can't be used? What do you guys think?

Seems like just an alternate solution, if you need to "Batman" a solution to a problem. I'd reckon if you know what you're doing, and had enough time to prepare, you could channel enough magic into something so that you could temporarily become more powerful. There are at least a few RPG's that allow wizards to store excess MP into a storage device such as a pendant, enabling them to have their own innate MP, plus what they stored in the pendant during the next gaming session. I'd take a guess that Trixie used the Alicorn necklace for precisely what the original creator had in mind: becoming strong enough to fight a more powerful adversary.

Edited by bornAgainEquestrian

5 hours ago, bornAgainEquestrian said:

The Pillar talismans and the Elements seem to have been created by some kind of outside divine force though. Especially what the Pillars had, and the way they came into being is more in-line with the gifts that were given to the Mane 6 that became the keys that unlocked the chest. Rockhoof didn't really do anything to cause the shovel to become magical, it just kinda happened, and in-turn gave him a godly strength in true Mjolnir fashion. Some of the talismans could have been forged with magic long ago, but some were clearly not.

The idea of a divine power behind it all... some kind of "manifest destiny" thing going on, fits perfectly in line with the idea of cutie marks. The appearance of cutie marks, the Talismans, the Elements, and "ponying up" in E.G. are all linked to moments characters show a strong manifestation of their true nature.

Interesting theory.