Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Official Doctor Who season 11 Discussion Thread

cuteycindyhoney
Message added by Jeric

We have some Whoovians here so by order of Article 6355 of the Shadow Proclamation, I hereby make this our official Dr. Who Discussion Thread for Season 11. 

8 minutes ago, Pat 'The Blizzard' Thundersnow said:

Oh yeah. I was super excited about the season premiere of Doctor Who, and it delivered.

I loved how she used melted down spoons, and some salvaged alien tech/junk to make a new

Spoiler

Sonic Screwdriver!

• Brohoof 1

I've got two versions of it recorded to watch, as soon as my wife has time to watch it together. I'm not overly clear on what the two versions are, or if they're in any way different, but they were advertised as 'the regular one' and 'the special one' on the DVR listings. It may be the 'special one' is just the current version of the 'making of' show they used to do a few years back.

I've just watched it, and it looked promising. The new Doctor is cool, and the episode didn't feel off because of the new people in charge of making the series - it was what a DW episode should be.

Spoiler

Can't wait to see the renewed TARDIS. I really miss her.

Watched and quite enjoyed her take so far. I'd rank it below the 10th Doctor's first full appearance as my fav initial outing. The only character that I think needs some fast development is the police lady (forget her name). I really wasn't drawn to her character, but it's way to early to form an opinion. 

14 hours ago, Fhaolan said:

the regular one' and 'the special one'

The special one has shaking cardboard walls to help suck in the old timers. 

15 hours ago, Fhaolan said:

I've got two versions of it recorded to watch, as soon as my wife has time to watch it together. I'm not overly clear on what the two versions are, or if they're in any way different, but they were advertised as 'the regular one' and 'the special one' on the DVR listings. It may be the 'special one' is just the current version of the 'making of' show they used to do a few years back.

I grabbed the first broadcast. The second one includes video shot at the live showing in New York, and had behind the scenes stuff from that.

• The title was changed to Official Doctor Who season 11 Discussion Thread
3 hours ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

I grabbed the first broadcast. The second one includes video shot at the live showing in New York, and had behind the scenes stuff from that.

I watched both actually. Wish one of them debuted the new theme for this season.

1 minute ago, Pat 'The Blizzard' Thundersnow said:

I watched both actually. Wish one of them debuted the new theme for this season.

True. We need the new theme, and we need to see the new TARDIS console room! Hopefully next Sunday.

I have to say, I used to be one of these butthead who doesn't like the idea of "female" doctor. But before the show, Jodie begins to grew on me and when the trailers and the shows finally came, man..Jodie really proves me wrong, she is a perfect candidate, The only things that bothers me is some people are giving her the wrong hype. They  should like her because she is a perfect doctor not because she is the first woman doctor. 

My dad and I loved watching the first episode of the new season last night. My dad didn't once fall asleep which showed that he enjoyed it and Jodie Whittaker's first proper outing as the Doctor--he falls asleep if he's bored of watching it. I enjoyed the references made to the previous Doctor though I wish the new one had changed outfits a lot sooner than she did.

Right. Watched it. Well done.

Has a more classic feel to it, which is good in my mind. I've not been happy with what the writers did to Capaldi's run, as a lot of it felt forced. Sort of like what happened to Colin Baker's run. Nothing wrong with the actors in either case, it just felt like the writers and directors were interested in doing something else, and didn't want to be there.

I was more aware of the background 'music' in it, than I had been in the last couple of years. That also reminded me of the classic series, where the background was there to reinforce the mood rather than point out which character was talking at the time. I can see the companion for myself, I don't need 'Rose's Theme', 'Donna's Theme', 'Amy's Theme', 'Clara's Theme', and so on. Composers spending too much time doing character themes and not enough stuff for the episodes themselves. 

Yeah, I'm thinking the complete changeover of cast and crew was good for this.

I will say.. I was one of those people that didn't want a female doctor. Though that was mainly due to me "not liking change", instead of thinking a female couldn't play the role of the Doctor. Despite saying that though, I still got a lot of hate because HOW DARE I question a female doctor.

Though despite all this, I did enjoy the episode :) At moments, she reminded me a lot of David Tennant which is my favourite doctor so I'm happy about that! For the first time in years, I'm actually excited for the next episode!

I'm mostly interested though in seeing how this new writer handles the show. Will they write good episodes or just add onto the disaster that was created by Moffat? I'm especially interested in seeing how they write a Dalek episode since Moffat has completely butchered the Daleks 

@Fhaolan

A lot of people didn't like Steven Moffat's style of story telling which may have played a part as to why viewership during Capaldi's tenure was lower than the rest of the new series altogether--it reached low levels not seen since the end of the classic era. Colin Baker had a more difficult time due to what was happening behind the scenes at the BBC what with its controller at the time wanting to cancel Doctor Who due to sheer disdain of it in general.

2 hours ago, Ganondorf8 said:

@Fhaolan

A lot of people didn't like Steven Moffat's style of story telling which may have played a part as to why viewership during Capaldi's tenure was lower than the rest of the new series altogether--it reached low levels not seen since the end of the classic era. Colin Baker had a more difficult time due to what was happening behind the scenes at the BBC what with its controller at the time wanting to cancel Doctor Who due to sheer disdain of it in general.

Colin also had the problem that the production team was constantly infighting as well. The script editor and the producer resented each other's existence, that kind of thing. :)

And I liked Steven Moffat's individual episodes when he was one of many writers, I just don't think it clicked when that got stretched out over entire seasons. But I'm also not going to lay it all down at his feet, there were a lot of other people involved that likely didn't quite click as well. It takes the whole crew to get it right, in my mind. 

• Brohoof 1

@Fhaolan

John Nathan-Turner and Eric Seward though the rumour is that the latter tried to undermine Colin's stories by having him utilized as little as possible all because Seward felt he wasn't the right person to be cast as the Doctor. Truth is, Nathan-Turner was the executive producer during that time and so his decisions were final outside of the BBC getting involved the way they did.

Steven Moffat knew how to tell interesting stories but not so well at connecting them together to form a narrative. At least he managed to bring back Rona Munro who wrote for the classic series during Capaldi's final season to write an episode.

For the new season, Chris Chibnall--the executive producer--did write a couple of stories during Moffat's tenure so he already has experience there. He was also a part of the Doctor Who Appreciation Society back in 1986.

Doctor Who Series 11 Episode 2 "The Ghost Monument" Initial thoughts and my reaction

Wow... This was a fantastic follow up to the season premiere. Jodie Whittaker is now truly the doctor. I won't get anything away, but it was a very good followup. Plus... The theme and intro is absolutely magnificent.

I liked what they did with the opening and the theme. I has more of a "Classic" Who feel. Jodie Whittaker has proven to my satisfaction to be a Proper Doctor. Even in the midst of danger, she portrays the joy of discovery nicely. I like how she's hands on, and not afraid to dig into wiring or whatever to get the job done. Below is a spoiler. Don't read if you didn't watch!

Spoiler

As for the TARDIS, I love the new look. The hints of a sort of grown crystal look are a nice touch. I smiled at how the Doctor is still getting used to this regeneration. "Come to daddy, I mean mummy"

"This..Is...Proper...Awesome!"

• Brohoof 1

Doctor Who Series 11 Episode 3 "Rosa" Initial Thoughts and my reaction

Spoiler

I love this episode, as it gives a great look at the history of Civil Rights movement that started in the mid 1950s. It was a very poignant episode, taking a look at the fight that African Americans had to go through that started with Rosa Parks and her sparking the Montgomery Bus Boycott. It reportedly left Jodie Whittaker in tears following the finishing production of the episode. I thought it was a very good episode, with a very good usage of important world history. This episode gets an A.