Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Measuring Interest in Live Trivia Tournaments

Jeric

One idea that I hate for the future was holding Trivia nights that are themed (Pony and non-Pony). There would be some work involved in me planning something like this and begore I expend the effort, would this be something that you all would watch/listen to or participate in? 

One method would be to have a live Discord Channel and/or Voice Channel. The Community could all form their own teams and such and someone would ask the questions and moderate. Either way, if enough people are interested I can put this on the to do list. 

• Brohoof 5

I'd be more up to and comfortable with some kind of form approach but maybe thats just me. For me it would ease up the participation process as i feel that the current system involves quite many steps to actually take a part in it. 

another suggestion would be  some kind of implementation with the kahoot.it system or something similar to that 

I think live discord seems like a good idea but one problem...not all of us use discord chat or the website itself. I think its better just to keep it within the forum.  Since I believe it's more convenient when it comes to time. If anyone has problem answering these trivias, my only hints to give you all is keywords.  Plus Ganondorf from how I see it, has giving a pretty fair hints to lead you to answer..

Although I don't understand why the Pinkie trivia is closed early when Ganondorf said its open for 72 hrs....

Google its a huge problem whatever the place... would be nice the posibility of using one of these flash pages with time limit in the question. It doesnt give time to search

• Brohoof 2

In my experience, a live tournament would be nearly impossible to organize - not for lack of interest, but scheduling. The difficulty of getting one person to be present at a specific time for a specific duration can be significant. Adding another person squares that. Adding a third... you get the idea. I'd be interested, but I honestly don't think it would be feasible as a matter of organization.

• Brohoof 2

I moved the Pinkie Trivia stuff out of here since they aren’t related. Live trivia has a benefit of limiting the feasibility of Google since you could have a buzzer system or first answer gets the point. Basically degree of difficulty is on us to make it a smooth experience, so I wouldn’t worry about that. I mostly just feeling out of anyone in the common would participate. I mean in the end I could get staffers to put against each other and the community would listen in and such since I’m sure I can get at least five people to volunteer in staff ... but I like to open these things to anyone who is interested. 

Obviously as with Readings, and other live events not everyone could participate in this every time... but we could have rotating schedules if needed so the other time zone can participate. 

• Brohoof 1

I don't know about anyone but even googled searching for these answer are even difficult to find. These questions are not quite straightforward but at the same time it gives you a little hint to where to start at the least.  So having to put the effort to even go searching or trying to remember where is that scene take place is already challenging enough.  Plus from what I have observe in the past trivias..  with the live and the buzz time limited, I  doubted that many people can come up with an answer on top of their head.

If some people thinks googling for answers is considered "cheating" well lets be reasonable. Internet is  around us, free and all. Who wouldn't? If you want to know the answer, stop asking and look it up. Like I said it's not cheating if searching for the answer is already hard enough.  There's no need to turns this into a cut throat thing. Trivia is suppose to be fun for all. 

So in my opinion live trivia is a not so much of good idea. and again, we have to considered for these people who doesn't use discord chat or time. Like me for example.

Edited by TBD
  • Brohoof 2

3 minutes ago, TBD said:

I don't know about anyone but even googled searching for these answer are even difficult to find. These questions are not quite straightforward but at the same time it gives you a little hint to where to start at the least.  So having to put the effort to even go searching or trying to remember where is that scene take place is already challenging enough.  Plus from what I have observe in the past trivias..  with the live and the buzz time limited, I  doubted that many people can come up with an answer on top of their head.

If some people thinks googling for answers is considered "cheating" well let's be reasonable. Internet is  around us, free and all. Who wouldn't? If you want to know the answer, stop asking and look it up. Like I said it's not cheating if searching for the answer is already hard enough. 

So in my opinion live trivia is a not so much of good idea. and again, we have to considered for these people who doesn't use discord chat. like me as example.

I just want to clarify that this isn’t a replacement for the Trivia Events that @Ganondorf8 runs. This will continue as they have. What I’m talking about is a community thing separate from that, and doesn’t even have to be themed to Pony. 

When it comes to ideas, I can’t manage to everyone’s interests or availability or we would never do anything new and unique. I think of this along the lines of having a singing competition. Not everyone would have a mic. Should we therefore not even consider a singing competition for those that might be interested? 

I recently held a live voice chat during the forums birthday, and some really enjoyed that and want to see that done again. Should we not have live voice chats because not everyone uses or wants to use the chat platform? 

In the end If I have even just 10 people interested, that is enough to move forward with this sort of thing, but no it isn’t going to take away other forms or Trivia. 

Imagine this by on a voice chat live 

• Brohoof 1

I'm not too familiar with how Discord works but does it let you know when someone has left the page and could possibly be on another. If it does then that's an easy way to make sure there's no cheating. Course you could always use a different device, but in all seriousness if this is meant to be a serious but fun competition like ones I've been to, anyone participating usually knows the lack of fun in cheating. I just don't see those that are truly interested being prone to cheat because they know what they're getting into.

This is an idea that has a lot of potential. Sure, it might not be everyone's cup of tea but I know there are those who would be thrilled to try this.

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

I just want to clarify that this isn’t a replacement for the Trivia Events that @Ganondorf8 runs. This will continue as they have. What I’m talking about is a community thing separate from that, and doesn’t even have to be themed to Pony. 

When it comes to ideas, I can’t manage to everyone’s interests or availability or we would never do anything new and unique. I think of this along the lines of having a singing competition. Not everyone would have a mic. Should we therefore not even consider a singing competition for those that might be interested? 

I recently held a live voice chat during the forums birthday, and some really enjoyed that and want to see that done again. Should we not have live voice chats because not everyone uses or wants to use the chat platform? 

In the end If I have even just 10 people interested, that is enough to move forward with this sort of thing, but no it isn’t going to take away other forms or Trivia. 

Imagine this by on a voice chat live 

Gotcha, I thought you were going to change the whole trivia in general. You could make a poll to see if anyone would be interested to have trivia game on discord. 

• Brohoof 2

• The topic was unfeatured
On 10/8/2018 at 12:06 PM, Jeric said:

One idea that I hate for the future was holding Trivia nights that are themed (Pony and non-Pony).

Oh, well then why bother having a topic about it?

:umad:

• Brohoof 2

• The topic was unpinned
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/8/2018 at 12:50 PM, KH7672 said:

I'm not too familiar with how Discord works but does it let you know when someone has left the page and could possibly be on another. If it does then that's an easy way to make sure there's no cheating. Course you could always use a different device, but in all seriousness if this is meant to be a serious but fun competition like ones I've been to, anyone participating usually knows the lack of fun in cheating. I just don't see those that are truly interested being prone to cheat because they know what they're getting into.

It doesn't show that, but voice chat is a thing. There's no easy way to stop cheating, unless you hear typing from their mic set-up maybe? Not likely, but possible in theory.

• The topic was locked