Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Make teacups count towards a user's reputation

Octavia Heartstrings

Currently, a user's reputation is determined by the number of brohoofs they receive. The brohoof is basically MLPF's equivalent of the "like" or "upvote" button on any other social media site, so it makes sense that we keep track of them and display the number on each user's profile. However, I along with many other users have used the teacup reaction for almost the same purpose. The way I see it, the teacup is a way of not just liking someone's post, but saying, "I completely agree with you, my good man." [sips tea]

Therefore, I think that the number of teacups received by a user should count towards the user's reputation as well. I mean, the teacup has become almost like an advanced brohoof, if you get what I'm saying. Just something to consider.

• Brohoof 3

In my opinion, this seems like a somewhat pointless problem. Plus, not everyone has the same outlook on reactions that you do, so changing it to that would probably confuse many users in the time to come after the situation. That's my opinion on that matter though.

• Brohoof 3

While this isn't necessarily a bad suggestion in per se, the primary issue is that the Teacup is inherently the most ambiguous reaction we currently have. Some may use the Teacup in place of a "super-upvote," but I know of a few members who see the Teacup through a negative lens. In that regard, those members effectively had their reputation increased by a "dislike" of sorts. I do not personally see it through this lens, but these members do exist.

Either way, I wouldn't be distraught if this change were to take place... but if you ask me, programming the Teacup to increase an arbitrary number seems arbitrary in and of itself. The Staff may do what they like with the Teacup, though; no harm, no foul either way.

• Brohoof 3

I agree with @Nightmare Rechie on the ambiguity of the teacup. If anything, I find the "Thanks" reaction closer to a brohoof in meaning – to the point that I personally use a brohoof in situations where that reaction could be used just as well (though of course this is subjective).

But I don't find the whole problem very significant either – brohoof counts are affected by so many factors that they shouldn't be taken too seriously. It's not that important in the end. :)

• Brohoof 6

I think we've reached a general consensus of what the teacups means but that first week was kind of weird. I'm not saying that we should get rid of the reactions in any sense, but I thought the point of them was as a short means of communication, but it fails in that regard if they don't have a defined meaning and although it's a lot of fun to see them change for events/celebrations, sometimes the expressions chosen don't necessarily match up with what was previously being used so although the name might be the same, the meaning feels different.

This occurs with the emoticons too sometimes. Such as discord here.:umad: It's called umad, and I think is supposed to serve as a sort of taunt, but because you can't really make out his puckered smile, we're forced to rely on the eyes which makes it look more like he's about to lose his patience, and this is how I've used it and seen others use it before as well.

I'm in agreement that it's a pointless problem because the numbers are arbitrary and can easilly be ignored, but as Flutterstep said, it's still a problem. It's weird to think however that if all of the other reactions I recieved counted towards my reputation then I might have 119 more? It's hard to say because the number of reactions I have listed as recieved isn't exactly the same as the number of brohoofs I have.

• Brohoof 3

Oh, that's what others see the "teacup" as. I just took it from the episode it was memed from. Trixie shouting "Teacup!" I've felt it's the kind of reaction you give just to show support. "My team is winning" well I don't really care about sports or the team but I can tell you have great enthusiasm so "Teacup!" It represents the enthusiasm Trixie had for her simple transfiguration spell. It's the perfect "He's some support because I love your enthusiasm" response. Not really the same as a brohoof as I don't necessarily always agree but I respect it.

• Brohoof 1

I'm fine with the system as it is. The other reactions don't particularly need to add to the reputation or basically anything. I think their purpose is more related to expressing yourself through the system relating to the content in question.

Yeah they could add to reputation but does it offer anything different than normal brohoof then, I think it could decrease the value of diverse expression that is currently represented in the system if many of the reactions offer similar or too similar functionality.

Though it all comes down on how you use and interpret the system.

• Brohoof 1

The teacup is a bit too ambiguous to just count as another brohoof. It seems a lot of users see it as a positive reaction, but I for one have always seen it as a very negative one. It's the one (of the permanent reactions) that doesn't say anything at all. To me it says "I have absolutely no words for you, and I want you to know it and not think I just forgot to react". I realize that's an extreme case, but it's how I've always seen it and why I will never give one out and dread getting them myself.

• Brohoof 1

Reactions were approved and implemented with the explicit assurances that they would be neutral toward reputation count. There are those that don't want reactions and there are those that want reputation counts to be eliminated. No way we can make everyone happy, so this is one that we'll continue to cast our lot in with what was originally established. We'll leave things status quo on this. 

• Brohoof 5

1 hour ago, Nightmare glim said:

What does the teacup reactions even mean i honestly don’t think I’ve ever use it before.

To me, I use it to mean, "I agree with you, chaps."

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Nightmare glim said:

What does the teacup reactions even mean i honestly don’t think I’ve ever use it before.

It is al things and yet it is nothing. For those that drink tea it is a holder of life. For those that like to break things, it is a creator of discordant auditory bliss. Blessing on all that giveth and receiveth this chalice of spender for it is foretold that the absence of teacups will bring about a Holy War between the Followers of Discord and the Church of Fabulosity. Do not take such prophecy lightly. 

• Brohoof 3

I'm not sure about the teacup as it has no inherent meaning (though it can and often is given positively). However, I think the "Thanks," "Yay," and "Smile," reactions should definitely count, as they are all in the same spirit of a brohoof: a positive affirmations of the user's post

51 minutes ago, Jeric said:

No way we can make everyone happy...

True, but I think my suggestion would be a great compromise for those who didn't want to have reactions.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, ChB said:

I'm not sure about the teacup as it has no inherent meaning (though it can and often is given positively). However, I think the "Thanks," "Yay," and "Smile," reactions should definitely count, as they are all positive affirmations of the user's post. 

True, but I think my suggestion would be a great compromise for those who didn't want to have reactions.

Them not counting was the compromise to even have them. 

• Brohoof 1

34 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Them not counting was the compromise to even have them. 

Allow me to clarify. One of the reasons some dislike the reaction system is that it takes away from them what would otherwise count towards their reputation count. For example, they make a good post and someone reacts with a "thanks" instead of a brohoof. Even though the "thanks" was given in good spirit, the person receiving it doesn't get a point, and that makes them sad. They feel that it doesn't make sense for them to not a get a point for getting a positive reaction that's not a brohoof, even though the "thanks" is just as big of a positive affirmation of their post as a brohoof (maybe even bigger).  

I know that reputation points is just a number and all of this doesn't really matter, in the end. I only bring it up because this is the most appropriate topic/thread to do so.

• Brohoof 2

Personally, I use the teacup for posts that I don't agree with {whether I disagree or just need to mull it over}, but still think bring up interesting points or otherwise show thought or insight.

That said, I imagine any post interesting enough to provoke a reaction might deserve a reputation bump.

10 hours ago, ChB said:

Allow me to clarify. One of the reasons some dislike the reaction system is that it takes away from them what would otherwise count towards their reputation count. For example, they make a good post and someone reacts with a "thanks" instead of a brohoof. Even though the "thanks" was given in good spirit, the person receiving it doesn't get a point, and that makes them sad. They feel that it doesn't make sense for them to not a get a point for getting a positive reaction that's not a brohoof, even though the "thanks" is just as big of a positive affirmation of their post as a brohoof (maybe even bigger).  

I know that reputation points is just a number and all of this doesn't really matter, in the end. I only bring it up because this is the most appropriate topic/thread to do so.

Yep. That is another reason why we don’t want reactions to count, especially in light of people farming brohoofs and follows. While I am a absolutely disinclined to remove reputation complete (as has been suggested many times in the past) I’m certainly not going to enable it. Reputation system stays as-is. The opportunity cost is that if you want granularity in giving out non-textual reactions, it comes with the loss of increasing reputation count. 

• Brohoof 1

Also, it’s nice to have brohoofs mean something special and unique in terms of benefit instead of relegating them to a generic status among the more descriptive (or amusing) reactions. 

• Brohoof 1

12 hours ago, Jeric said:

Yep. That is another reason why we don’t want reactions to count, especially in light of people farming brohoofs and follows. While I am a absolutely disinclined to remove reputation complete (as has been suggested many times in the past) I’m certainly not going to enable it. Reputation system stays as-is. The opportunity cost is that if you want granularity in giving out non-textual reactions, it comes with the loss of increasing reputation count. 

Fair enough.

11 hours ago, Jeric said:

Also, it’s nice to have brohoofs mean something special and unique in terms of benefit instead of relegating them to a generic status among the more descriptive (or amusing) reactions. 

Good point. In fact, I like it. Always good to look at things at a more positive angle.