Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

An episode a day Marathon

Lord Valtasar

It's the show's birthday, and to celebrate it, there's a slow but steady marathon starting, where we'll attempt to re-watch the whole show an episode each day (or two if it's a two-parter). * updated to watching Season 1 only since attendance seemed pretty low*

Many of us, while still in the fandom, have gotten disconnected from the show that stated it, or just watch the latest episodes and need some refreshment on the older ones, or maybe just for fun, whichever the case, you're all invited in this marathon.

Note that this is not a stream, you’ll have to find the episode and watch it on your own, whenever you have the time and if you miss one, you can always watch two the next day to catch up, you can, of course, join in midway, just be sure to check which episode everypony else is at so that we're all on the same page. you are encouraged to leave your opinion on that episodes thread, this is more of a lounge thread to discuss stuff than for lengthy reviews.

Let us rekindle our love for the show which is after all what got us all here together in the first place, and knowing how things will play out, may enable you to see the older episodes in a different light.

Episode of the day: S1 E26 The Best Night Ever

note that this is the last one i'm going to update to, but you can still go ahead and continue the marathon if you want,

• Brohoof 20

I like the idea. I really need to find time to do this though, which is weird, because when I started getting into the show, I watched 2-3 episodes a day, rewatching the first 4 seasons 2 times. Well, allons-y!

20 minutes a day isn't too much i hope, two-parters are a bit more demanding though but they're not that often, hope you'll find the time and be part of this

9 minutes ago, Passion said:

Meet me in half'a'year, once you get to the latests seasons and I'll have a reason to catch up finally~!

Meanwhile, @Jeric:

240_F_27177008_KtLw7bdX0s7FOYop9t6R9fr0f

you mean to tell me you know the show so well that you have no reason to rewatch it? maybe i need to make an event such as this but with the comics then

• Brohoof 1

This is fun! I forgot how unfitting the OST was in the early few episodes and how the voice actors didn't quite nail the voice for certain characters yet. It was nice to see all the running gags/memes in their earliest forms again, before the show became super self-referential (for better or worse <.<), and the bits of early-installment-weirdness with Spike being kind of stupid, the Guards making horse noises instead of talking, Fluttershy barely being able to talk in public (though that's more like pre-character development stuff) were fun to see.

And I forgot how much of a jerk Twilight was. She really has come a long way.

Overall I loved the premiere but I felt like the adventure aspect in the second half fell a bit flat. I never really liked MLP when it tried to be a big action series, so I preferred the adventurous episodes to be more about exploring new lands and cultures, like "The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone" or "Somepony to Watch Over Me". The action moments weren't  bad but the limited animation of the series made it a little cheesy, which is a problem i've always had with the series, even to this day. Especially to this day.

All in all, great start. 

Edited by Jordan D
Expanding on the end a bit.
  • Brohoof 2

just finished rewatching it, it was really nice seeing it again now, as when i first saw it there was too much to keep track of, and things that just slipped through the cracks, yes the animation was limited but it actually had lots of unique animations and expressions that even after all this time haven't been reused, and it's always nice to have unique hairstyles and outfits,i'm a big fan of episode 1 Rainbow Dash and how nonchallant she was about the sky, or how she just burst into laughter after what she'd done to poor Twi(i also really like that messed mane look)

5 hours ago, Trix or Treat? said:

you mean to tell me you know the show so well that you have no reason to rewatch it? maybe i need to make an event such as this but with the comics then

Maybe just because of this we need to make a "Force Passion to rewatch the entirety of MLP:FiM" event.:mlp_pout:

• Brohoof 1

I had fun rewatching the two-parter. Nightmare Moon doesn’t seem like much of a threat with her simple “traps” but some fan theories have explained that away. It’s nice will find a way to tie the beginning of  episode into one later on in the series. It does make me wonder how the series would have turned out if Hasbro hadn’t mandated the character of Rarity.

• Brohoof 2

10 minutes ago, TwilySparky said:

Maybe just because of this we need to make a "Force Passion to rewatch the entirety of MLP:FiM" event.:mlp_pout:

maybe right after he the event where he has to play all pokemon games

• Brohoof 1

Nice enterprise you got here, I'm currently on an anime related enterprise myself (started to watch my pile of recommended by friends anime shows) and it will take me a while... but I salute everyone who joins this pony-a-day-journey.  :orly:

7 hours ago, Passion said:

Meet me in half'a'year, once you get to the latests seasons and I'll have a reason to catch up finally~!

* waves hand * You do have a reason to rewatch it. This is the show you are looking for. 

Image result for Jedi mind trick

Just got done watching the episode for today. It really hit home how hard it must have been for Princess Celestia to not only send Twi away but to write the decree. The later episodes give so much depth to the whimsy of the first few seasons. 

6 hours ago, TwilySparky said:

3 hours ago, Jedishy said:

* waves hand * You do have a reason to rewatch it. This is the show you are looking for. 

Image result for Jedi mind trick

Oh I so adore being given a chance of using this response!

tenor.gif

Let's get down to business though. I figure this is EQTV, but what are the airing hours?

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, Passion said:

Oh I so adore being given a chance of using this response!

tenor.gif

Let's get down to business though. I figure this is EQTV, but what are the airing hours?

nope, it's not a streaming thing(i hear eqTV does that every time a new season is up though, if that's what you're looking for), everpony watches the episode in their own time, this thread is to nudge you do so, and to have everyone coordinated in the same episode so that conversations can be sparked more easily

Thoughts after rewatching the first two-parter (probably, for the 10th time):

• The old intro gives me strong nostalgic feels.
  • I'm very curious who wrote the book of prophecies and what prophecies are in it, apart from the Nightmare Moon return.
  • My favorite Moon Dancer is one the first ponies mentioned in the series.
  • AJ' accent changed quite a bit since the early days.
  • Spike was actually flying in the very first episode, even without wings.
  • Casanova is a thing in Equestria.
  • Everfree Forest used to be much scarier, I miss the old everfree vibe.
  • Luna's old mane... I kinda miss it too.

Time to watch the next one.

• Brohoof 2

There is no way that I could miss out on this. As a brony of seven years now, it's fascinating to head back into the early days of the show and track its evolution from surprise hit to well-established 2010s animated stronghold. 

• Ah yes, the original opening sequence. I honestly miss it (why did season 8 have to revamp it to that overstuffed mess?).
  • One of the most curious elements of the early season 1 episodes is their airy background music, which I feel has faded somewhat as the years have progressed (with a few exceptions, such as "Molt Down"). It doesn't always fit a scene's tone perfectly, but it's pleasurable hearing more personable music.
  • I'd forgotten how acerbic season 1 Twilight was. "Lesson Zero" was definitely the turning point in modifying her characterization somewhat (possibly for the better) into the hammy dorkus we know and love today.
  • Note also the Spikeabuse. Later episodes would treat their relationship as a close emotional connection, which is bizarre considering that Twilight is kind of a jacka** to him in his introductory scene.
  • The neighing guards... the original writing team sure loved the horse references. I unabashedly share their sentiments.
  • Pinkie's gasp is timed so amazingly. I miss the Craig McCracken-style comedy of the show's earliest seasons.
  • More great comedy with each of the mane six's introductions. The pilot is frequently forgotten in the grander scheme of fandom discussion these days, but I'd say it deserves a little more recognition, largely because of how incredibly charming the show presents itself as.
  • And the legend of Derpy is born.
  • It's incredible how different the show was back in its infancy. This episode (and others I can recall from the first season) are extremely awash in the 'Faust' creative style, which is genuinely difficult to describe... I guess 'charming' is the right term? Honestly, so many elements of this episode (the cartoon slapstick, Pinkie's antics, etc.) feel as if they could have blown up disastrously in other hands, but something about the intangibles of the show's character chemistry and the pacing and execution of these elements (creating a lighthearted and energetic tone, but seldom overbearing or insincere, as a few later episodes tend to feel) places them into an interesting sweet spot. The episode's overall execution is very earnest and its character chemistry is natural (seasons 1 and 2 arguably feature the mane six's interactions at their most realistic and nuanced), yet it's still unashamedly a kid's show. No wonder the brony fandom emerged so rapidly. 
  • Some of the material here is cheesy (particularly some of the dialogue in the first part's final scene), but it doesn't feel overly egregious to me. The cheese is part of this show's fun factor (at least as it presents itself here), and that somehow negates most of its potential irritation, provided it isn't detrimental to an episode's surrounding themes and emotions.
  • The scenes of the cast walking through the Everfree do become pretty repetitive, but the character chemistry is decent enough for me to excuse it.
  • A fair number of the scenes in the second part are rushed, an issue I honestly suspect was related to production issues. It does become more frustrating as the episode advances, but at least the climax is a good payoff. 
  • And a side note: of the mane six, Pinkie and Dashie appears to have suffered the most regression, in my opinion - whilst Twilight (in S7-8, don't get me started on her blandness on S4-6), Rarity, AJ and Fluttershy have all expanded and matured, Dashie's arrogance has become less innocently played, which creates a more difficult balance for the writers if they screw her up (most of the best Dashie characterizations are surprisingly specifically written - just take note on "Wonderbolts Academy"), whilst Pinkie's antics have become increasingly tiresome over the past five(!) seasons (in comparison to her more charming and quirky Genki Girl portrayal here).

Edited by Them's Seeing Ponies
  • Brohoof 3

starting at the opening scene we get to see Spike bullying Twilight in return, as if it's to balance his abuse on his first episode, at this point, it becomes harmless sibling quarrel/teasing, and i'm glad they continued this route going forth,then we get to see what each of the mane characters' dream is,(it's nice to see that they've achieved those dreams now, but it does bring the question of whats next? they don't have as clear goals anymore) and what's their aim in life in general, while also seeing some of their tallents displayed as they try to bribe Twilight, the Applejack-Rainbow Dash rivarly is also shown for the first time, in a way we're still getting introduced to these characters, and we get to know them alongside Twilight, it's the perfect episode to follow up the opening two, and is also building up to the season's finale quite nicely, honestly the only thing i have against this episode is how they levitated the tickets in the end, even the non unicorns,makes me wonder how something like that slipped, but i guess the lore wasn't stable yet(forgive my poor horse puns) so the animators weren't very familiar with the whole Unicorns-only-use-that-kind-of-magic thing

• Brohoof 1

A wee bit behind, but I don't really care. 8+ minutes into The Ticket Master right now. Wow, after being deep into the later seasons, going back to early S1 is such a whiplash. The Mane Eight nowadays have really grown and became really accustomed to the magic of friendship that it's virtually in their veins now. But here, they're really rusty in the MoF gig.

• Brohoof 2

Well, just got done watching the first five episodes and it’s actually pretty weird seeing Nightmare Moon again when I’m so used to just normal Princess Luna now.

Ticket Master is always a fun one to watch and I love it whenever Twilight has to yell really loud... so adorable.

Applebuck Season is pretty good, AJ is always dependable, even if it kills her. And of course... SO AWESOME:wub:

Griffon-The Brush Off is alright. I don’t care for Gilda, but I do love Pinkie pranks!

Boast Busters... All can say about is Twixie!! The Starlight of the show before Starlight was a thing!

• Brohoof 3