Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

An episode a day Marathon

Lord Valtasar

So watched todays episode and I have to ask do you think Celestia was testing Twilight here? Did she want to teach her to ask when she needs help? Was she trying to impart the lesson that a leader needs to be able to allocate resources with minimal hurt to her student as she knew she was going to be a princess one day? Or was she just forgetful/going with the convention of a plus one? 

• Brohoof 1

I haven't seen 'The Ticket Master' in a while, but as the season and series move forward the most memorable moment of FiM's third episode is when Twilight teleports with Spike claiming that she didn't know what was going to happen, the development of Twilight's magic skills is great during S1.

• Brohoof 2

The "Benny Hill chase" sequence is the best part of Ticket Master for me. You don't get something like this nowadays. And Rainbow's reaction to everypony's giving up their claims for the ticket is priceless.

• Brohoof 1

Twilight Sparkle: Rainbow, I am not comfortable accepting unwanted favors, so I'd appreciate it if you close up that rain cloud right now.

latest?cb=20140523182921

Are you sure? :toldya:

Spike: "My faithful student Twilight,
Why didn't you just say so in the first place?"

BULLSHIT! Had she handed her the tickets and not hold back five of them to test their friendship, none of this would've happened! Celestia caused the conflict! *facehoof*

Yeah, it's easy to see why The Ticket Master doesn't have a positive rep. It's soooooooo mediocre. The Benny Hill chase scene's the highlight, nothing comes close. Cringeworthy and simplistic dialogue (with misogyny and misandry to boot), sluggish and repetitive plot, rough animation, "Trollestia." The Ticket Master has a lot of really rough edges. Not bad, but not good at all, either.

Until Principles aired, this was my worst C- ep. It remains as such.

6 hours ago, Jedishy said:

So watched todays episode and I have to ask do you think Celestia was testing Twilight here? Did she want to teach her to ask when she needs help? Was she trying to impart the lesson that a leader needs to be able to allocate resources with minimal hurt to her student as she knew she was going to be a princess one day? Or was she just forgetful/going with the convention of a plus one? 

i believe she sent her student a ticket, and the plus one having spike in mind, Celestia doesn't really know the others that well at this point, as no letters have been sent yet, and she was captured during most of the opening two episodes, she knows they're twilight's friends, sure, but not how close they are, 1 day doesn't make you besties, and i'd imagine by everyponies response that the Gala tickets aren't going around like cupcakes, they're something special

this morning i woke up with a curious question, in the first episode when they defeat Nightmare moon, Celestia appears as if from the sun, which makes me think. Did Nightmare Moon Banished her to the Sun ? and she was only freed by NmM's reformation? and if not, where was she? 

2 minutes ago, Trix or Treat? said:

this morning i woke up with a curious question, in the first episode when they defeat Nightmare moon, Celestia appears as if from the sun, which makes me think. Did Nightmare Moon Banished her to the Sun ? and she was only freed by NmM's reformation? and if not, where was she? 

She stopped for coffee and donuts!

• Brohoof 2

26 minutes ago, DivineGlow1000 said:

She stopped for coffee and donuts!

quite possible, after all, you can't be in ponyville and not visit Sugarcube Corner, it'd be a wasted oportunity

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Trix or Treat? said:

Did Nightmare Moon Banished her to the Sun ?

If so, either Celestia is fireproof or Equestrian Sun is not that hot. This raises more questions.

• Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, Oleks said:

If so, either Celestia is fireproof or Equestrian Sun is not that hot. This raises more questions.

if we go down this route, then Luna doesn't need to breath to survive, it's a dark path to trot

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, Trix or Treat? said:

if we go down this route, then Luna doesn't need to breath to survive, it's a dark path to trot

It all comes down to one simple answer:

Spoiler

1555394__safe_edit_edited+screencap_scre

• Brohoof 3

just rewatched E4. first of all, Big Mac seems alot more talkative, which took me by surprise, and all i can say about that scene is "Don't you use your fancy mathematics to muddy the issue"(you gotta love that logic). oh my, sentient cows, i had forgotten about that
loved the scene with the award, and most of AJ's helping the other's scenes were pretty fun, we gotta give credit where it's due, and a bunny stampede is just too ingenious of an idea to not love, not to mention "The Horror" and the destruction they left behind, enough is enough. so it's time to put a stop to all that
overal, while having some great momments, it was an average episode for me

• Brohoof 1

8 minutes ago, Trix or Treat? said:

just rewatched E4. first of all, Big Mac seems alot more talkative, which took me by surprise, and all i can say about that scene is "Don't you use your fancy mathematics to muddy the issue"(you gotta love that logic). oh my, sentient cows, i had forgotten about that
loved the scene with the award, and most of AJ's helping the other's scenes were pretty fun, we gotta give credit where it's due, and a bunny stampede is just too ingenious of an idea to not love, not to mention "The Horror" and the destruction they left behind, enough is enough. so it's time to put a stop to all that
overal, while having some great momments, it was an average episode for me

I just watched Applebuck Season and it’s always nice to see how dependable AJ is, even if it kills her, but she also has to know her limits.

And of course... SO AWESOME!!! :wub:

• Brohoof 2

14 hours ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Had she handed her the tickets and not hold back five of them to test their friendship, none of this would've happened! Celestia caused the conflict! *facehoof*

I think it was a case of Princess Celestia being bored that day so, she conjured up a "friendship problem" to keep herself entertained. :dash:

Celestia may be a Princess but she is also an almighty being that sees & knows all. :sunbutt:

• Brohoof 1

- Where'd you get them?
- From the trash.

After rewatching Applebuck season all I can say is I find AJ very relatable in this episode. She reminds me of myself during peak load periods at work: “Yeah, I can finish this project if I’ll work 14 hours a day 7 days a week”.
Also, I wish the cows and other "slave races" (like sheep) were explored more in the show. But they even didn’t get a place in the school of friendship. I won’t even mention the racism towards mules that is a recurring theme in the early seasons.
And now that I think of it, didn’t Applejack lie a few times during this episode? Or was she just too disoriented?

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, Oleks said:

And now that I think of it, didn’t Applejack lie a few times during this episode? Or was she just too disoriented?

if you are refering to the "i'm fine" and "i can do it by myself/i don't need your help" stuff? i don't believe those count as lies, she was just stubborn and actually believed that she could do it on her own

Finally caught up by plowing through Ticket Master and Applebuck Season yesterday evening. The show's initial incarnation truly is a canyon of difference (at least) away from the more urban comedy-orientated tone of S8, what with the more cartoonish animation (I actually prefer it to S6-8's animation at times, somehow the art style and comedy of the earliest seasons gels better with the animation style earlier in the show's run whilst the later seasons tend to appear slightly flatter), the simplistic plots and Pinkie actually behaving like a functioning individual (she seems to have degenerated into a joke/gag machine in most recent episodes (particularly those where the main plot is not focused on her) whilst her appearances here were genuinely charming and hilarious). Overall, I assume that the lighthearted nature and charm of S1 is what draws me to it (and leads me to prefer the earlier seasons over the later ones). Later seasons work well on a more intellectual level at times, but the general sensation one feels whilst watching a Faust-era (or S3-4, to an extent) episode is a great comfortable happiness and satisfaction, whilst, say, a S6 episode will leave me groaning at how dull the plot is/how obnoxious the gags are. 

Edited by Them's Seeing Ponies
  • Brohoof 1

I watched both parts of Friendship is Magic and The Ticket Master. They were pretty much what remember and were just as enjoyable as when I first watched them. I mean they're pretty simple compared to later episodes, but I still had a stupid grin on my face while watching them, so that must say something. I also completely forgot how snide Twilight used to be, as well as Pinkie bursting into song every few seconds - Which still happens, but much less.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Sunny Fox said:

Go see my blog posts, call me when we get back to "A Friend Indeed".

gothca, i also see a #TrixieDidnothingwrong one so i think you and i will get along pretty well

just watched today's episode,(s1e5) and i have to say, anyone that thinks Pinkie is annoying, so did her friends at first, but she always comes through, you can try to bully her, she can take it, but you can't bully her friends(Fluttershy in this case) if it comes to that. you'd better be prepared for your downfall, Pinkie style, It will be full of fun and laughs, but i promise you will not be enjoying it.
as you can tell i'm a big fan of how Pinkie was portrayed in this episode, her "friends" brush her off and ignore her, or plain and simple avoid her, but she takes it all with a smile, even though it clearly saddens her, she persists, and that may annoy some even more, but that's just who she is and you won't regret it once you give her a chance, her pranks can be seen as mean, but they're always harmless and she actually thinks about who to pull them on,(which is why she doesn't do it on fluttershy)

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Trix or Treat? said:

just watched today's episode,(s1e5) and i have to say, anyone that thinks Pinkie is annoying, so did her friends at first, but she always comes through, you can try to bully her, she can take it, but you can't bully her friends(Fluttershy in this case) if it comes to that. you'd better be prepared for your downfall, Pinkie style, It will be full of fun and laughs, but i promise you will not be enjoying it.
as you can tell i'm a big fan of how Pinkie was portrayed in this episode, her "friends brush her off and ignore her, or plain and simple avoid her, but she takes it all with a smile, even though it clearly saddens her, she persists, and that may annoy some even more, but that's just who she is, her pranks can be seen as mean, but they're always harmless and she actually thinks about who to pull them on,(which is why she doesn't do it on fluttershy)

Pinkie is the greatest strength of "Griffon the Brush-Off" by a considerable margin. Whilst the plot is kind of cliched and Gilda borders on a generic jerk jock at times, the story is pumped with such humour (I'm missing the lighthearted wackiness and slapstick of the Faust era more with each passing episode), enthusiasm and surprisingly unique implications on Dash's character (particularly her confident exterior vs. her more directly emotional interior, a facet of her which I feel is often neglected or exaggerated to the extent where it becomes more frustrating than necessary in subsequent seasons) that I discovered myself enjoying it more than I recalled. Subtlety is actually a major strength of S1: later seasons feature mature subject matter directly out in the open of their narrative landscape, which is fine, but somehow creates a less unique sensation than S1's treatment of the mane six's underlying facets (which are frequently implied instead of directly shown to the audience, creating a more natural tone and adding to that ultra-specific Faustian charm), which results in one of the most detailed and nuanced portrayals of the M6 across any season of the show (S2 and S4 debatably rival this (despite the latter's treatment of Pinkie), but I'll cross that bridge sometime later this year). In this particular context, I feel that Pinkie (out of all the mane six) has suffered the most regression/flanderization since the show's inception. Whilst most episodes past S3 or so portray Pinkie as an insane, ultra-hyperactive cartoon gag machine with huge emotional canyons, her depiction during S1 is far more 'human' (what tall, fleshy two-legged thing?) by comparison; Pinkie is not an overexaggerated, perpetually screaming maniac ("Rainbow Falls", "Filli Vanilli") but a quirky, fun-loving optimist who indulges in simple pleasures and goofy wordplay, which ultimately places her gags into a more 'charming' (and genuinely funny) light in that the audience is allowed to relate to Pinkie more. I miss when the show dialled back on exaggeration sometimes. 

• Brohoof 1

Griffon the Brush Off is a very special episode for me. When I watched MLP for the very first time, I made it through the first 4 episodes and the first part of this one. Then I fell asleep (it was very late at night) and the next day decided to finish this episode, and this is pretty much how I got stuck with MLP.

About the episode itself. We get Pinkie and RD bonding and becoming closer friends, and are introduced to the first minor antagonist of the show (after the big villain of the 1st tro-parter). And this episode has a great lesson too. Some observations: 

• Twi was turning pages with her muzzle instead of magic - an interesting detail.
  • Pinkie is fast. And random. And reality-bending. And, I must admit, kinda annoying at times.
  • The prank with apples was so over the top, and it elicited a peculiar reaction from AJ.
  • Pinkie didn't know what a griffon is. Well, we really have come very far by now.
  • "Buzz off!" - I wonder if this was censored in Canada.
  • Pin the tail on the pony is Rarity's favorite game. Now that's weird.
  • Celestia's reaction to the ink prank might have been the first tiny seed of Trollestia. It will only grow over time.

Now, it's only about a hundred episodes till we see G again.