Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

An episode a day Marathon

Lord Valtasar

I just watched this episode and it shows why I hate bullies like Gilda. All they do is hurt you and make you feel bad about yourself 

Don’t ever let anyone bully you, never let them talk down to you and don’t ever think you’re not good enough to do anything.

I know what that’s like and I know now not to let anyone do that ever again.

Now I punch them in the teeth if they threaten me!!

• Brohoof 1

oh my, looks like it's time for Boast Busters, this might get a bit extensive, here it goes

- to start things off, we she Twilight praxticing new spells(tricks?) and as always, bonding some more with spike, it's interesting to see how much his compliment's affect her, aswel as snip's and snail's mention of another, more powerful unicorn, i don't think she'll bat an eye if it happened now(it kinda did with Starlight)
- right after, we get introduced to The Great and Powerful Trixie, and what an entrance that was, is someone knows how to present herself, it's her
- and here starts the shitstorm, Rarity's and Applejack's reactions are Totally uncalled for, considering they're on a performance, of course she's exagerating. as Rainbodash herself just admits, it's something she does, so why react so differently when somepony else does it? Applejack basically bullied RD into booing the show
- Trixie of course, as any magician worth their salt would do, didn't just let the booing go on and ruin the performance, answered them, boasting some more to intimidate them, and giving them the chance  to just back down.
- at this point, Spike, like the others, just can't seperate reality from Showmanship, and that's basically what drives this whole episode, Twilight had every right to be worried after those reactions, and tbh, she seemed to have no problem with the show herself, i commend her for that
- then RD just decides to see this as a challenge, and goes on stage to confront Trixie, which in turn, answers with more boasts, to scare her away and move on.
- Spike, of course, continues being an ass, and not being able to tell reality from showmanship, until Twilight, even if for different reasons, does the right thing and shuts him up
- Trixie after all that trashtalk decides to challenge the audience, something many magicians do in our world aswel. and once you decide to step on that stage, you better be prepared to be ridiculed, or not go there at all, it's how it works, the show must go on, AJ being the confident and antagonistic mare she always was, takes the bait, and ends up humiliated,(worth noting is that Trixie wasn't able to top those kind of tricks, so she focused on stoping them in a funny way instead, if it was a contest i'd say she lost, but it was a show,her show in particular, her aim is to enertain and keep a good image)
- RD steps in right after, with a statement so wrong it defy's it's logic itself, but since it's a show, it acually has more logic behind it than AJ's complain or spike's. tallent has been challenged so RD goes to show hers, and once again, Trixie can't fly and do these tricks, but she has some of her own, and the same (===) applies that was in AJ's part, i have to commend whoever came up with that routine RD shoed though, it was pretty awesome and well thought. Trixie also counters with some pretty clever puns to top it all(seems like any pony with a Dash of good sense..)
-then everypony trying to force Twilight to go, as if their actions weren't stupid enough already, is just... ugh. but Rarity thinking it was all about her makes this little scene priceless, so i won't complain, not to mention her scolding of the other's actions and how easily she's goaded to go with a few words from Trixie, one of the best scenes of the episode imo.
beating Trixie with a lecture isn't how it's done, so she made short work of her, and i love how spike didn't take the hint and just blurted out "it's green"
- and of course, he goes on to try to bully Twilight into going on stage, which she wisely refused, not because she couldn't win, but because it was a stupid notion and was never about winning to begin with, she didn't take the bait, but run under the pressure of both Trixie and her friends(which btw acted pretty insensitive about it)
- now Trixie basks in the adoration of ponyvilles citizens which is what fuels her to begin with, but gets annoyed by snips and snails' constant banter and gets rid of them, while still accepting their gifts, but she still keeps that facade even off stage,
- and at this point, Spike's insistence of sabotaging Trixie's show becomes tiresome, he should be comforting Twilight,(though i'm sure in his mind he's standing up for her), and even later when he's back at the library, he still pesters her instead, he really can't take a hint
- Snips n Snails go wake an ursa, then go wake Trixie and expect a show, she keeps her facade up, but when she sees the Ursa her Reaction is Pricless, she just throws it all away, and runs, after some pressure, she does try her best, which is of course not enough, but hey, at least she didn't leave them there
let me take the time here to note that Trixie's wagon, just got destroyed, it was her home and her stage(job) it was probably all her fortune, and we can she how much it meant to her in a way by seeing her tell us about the next wagon in "a road to friendship", besides all that, she tries to stop the Ursa, she should be praised for her bravery instead of being chased out,
Twilight comes, and is just as shocked when she hears they brought the Ursa on purpose, and rightly so, Trixie admits she can't vanquish it, and by that point it should have been obvious but once again, this episode is fueled by the fact that some can't seperate show from reality
Spike, as clueless as ever, prods Twilight to handle it without understanding what he's asking, Twilight of course, is just as afraid to face the Ursa, but she went and face it anyway, like Trixie did, I loved the fact that Twilight didn't just beat the it with power, but used her mind and made a good strategy on the spot instead, we need more of that kind of solutions, she wasn't powerful enough, but her town and friends were in danger, so there was no running away, while in Trixie's case, her Image and two strangers were what was at stake, plus, she's not as strong, or as well trained as Twilight to begin with. the twist that it was an Ursa Minor, a baby, makes this whole endeavor that much more fun and ironic, and Trixie's boast that much more proposterous
and now comes the cringy part, where her friends tell her how magic is part of who she is etc etc, but my question is, why didn't they apply the same to Trixie, she also has a Cutie Mark for magic, Stage magic it seems, so it's a part of who she is, and they despise her for it, just because they don't know her personally, that's double standards, but lets not dwell on that
-Twilight instead of booing Trixie like the others, was intrigued and did some research(of course she did) it fits her perfectly, and it also makes her plan to save them from the Ursa more believable, go Twilight
- Trixie tries to save face, even if it's a loosing battle, she has to keep her image at all costs, so she makes a Great and Powerful exit, befitting her character. at this point, all i have to say is Twilight really did act levelheaded and just let her be/stopped RD from chasing after her, what i keep against trixie is that she came for her in her revenge instead of going after AJ, RD and Spike, who were the real reason everything went astray(i'm not saying that would be the right thing to do either, but it would make more sense if she did)
-Snips and Snails can't be held responsible, as they're clearly not very smart, and are just kids, but their parrents should be called, and at least don't reward them for it..

all in all, despite things happening just so that the plot can go on, this is one of my favorite episodes of the season, it introduced us to Trixie, it portrayed Twilight as a very levelheaded person, and was a blast to watch from start to finish, the only problem is it left a sting for AJ and RD, when i first watched it, you have to remember this episode is pretty early on, and we didn't know these characters very well. anyway, it's a 9/10 from me

• Brohoof 1

Boast Buster, what a great episode! Trixie, Snips and Snails, Ursa Minor (who had more character development over the course of the seires than Snips) and Ursa Major - all of them turned to be a wonderful addition to the show.

I kinda miss Trixie with one eye dot instead of two. If I remember correctly she used to have only one dot because initially she was planned to be a stallion. And some time ago Faust said that one of the Season 1 characters is a trans in her headcanon.

Oh, green Carrot Top who is also normal within the same scene. It's a pity the explanation of her color change didn't make it into Slice of Life like Larson had planned.

And Trixie's wagon got destroyed. So the one she really loves now isn't the original one. Hm.

Wait, did AJ say that Rarity's green mane was "gorgeous"? She truly keeps surprising me this season.

just watched Dragonshy, an awesome episode i really loved it, flutters being ignored, then being pushed to come with them, and oh my, that climb and all its scenes were priceless, when they get there, everypony's different aproach to wake the dragon are also pretty fun, but there's a single momment that outshines them all, to the point that it makes you forget all the rest
that HOW DARE YOU speech. one of the best Fluttershy momments, and one of the best momments in the entirety of MLP. i believe it's the first time we see Fluttershy be assertive, and oh boy she's as assertive as it gets, compare it with how Angel bunny was torturing her at the start of that very episode and it gets even more awesome. she can be like that, but she does it to protect her friends, not to bully her pets, or even to prevent them from bullying her, that's when she trully became a character, instead of a single trait like "she's the shy one"
an amazing episode, 9/10

• Brohoof 1

Dragonshy is one of my favorite Fluttershy episodes. It has so many funny, cute and cool moments. And that montage - one of the best things in Season 1!

Alhough at this point of the show it's weird that dragons are referred to as "wild animals". And everything about that napping dragon raises many questions.

a pretty fun and heartwarming episode, besides the Rarity-Applejack rivarly, which i won't analyse since it was pretty straightforward. i also really like how Twilight appears to have no clue at what's happening, but we then find out that she's not clueless, when she finaly had enough, and she was just pretending she didn't notice in hopes they could still have some fun with the next thing, her being so enthusiastic about the slumber party, and having a reference book is so adorable, and kinda sad at the same time, we have to remember, that while she's a grown mare, she's very new to the friendship thing, she was excelent throughout the whole episode
overal really enjoyable and laid back episode, with that special innocent charm than slice of life(the genre not the mlp episode) can have, 8.5/10

At this point I've also watched Applebuck Season, Griffon the Brush-Off, Boast Busters, Dragonshy and Look Before You Sleep. All are very good episodes, Look Before You Sleep being my favourite of the five. The dynamic between Rarity and AJ was quite interesting to watch and had some really great moments - Twilight geeking out about her first slumber party was pretty cute. I'll also admit that it was really weird to see Trixie without Starlight, in Boast Busters, as we've seen the duo together a lot since Season 6. Dragonshy was quite humorous and overall great, as it's the first time we really see Fluttershy stand up and be assertive. I can't really say much about the other two, except that they're great.

I don't have time for this. I feel like I've been obligated.

On 10/14/2018 at 11:52 AM, Trix or Treat? said:

oh my, looks like it's time for Boast Busters, this might get a bit extensive, here it goes

- to start things off, we she Twilight praxticing new spells(tricks?) and as always, bonding some more with spike, it's interesting to see how much his compliment's affect her, aswel as snip's and snail's mention of another, more powerful unicorn, i don't think she'll bat an eye if it happened now(it kinda did with Starlight)
- right after, we get introduced to The Great and Powerful Trixie, and what an entrance that was, is someone knows how to present herself, it's her
- and here starts the shitstorm, Rarity's and Applejack's reactions are Totally uncalled for, considering they're on a performance, of course she's exagerating. as Rainbodash herself just admits, it's something she does, so why react so differently when somepony else does it? Applejack basically bullied RD into booing the show
- Trixie of course, as any magician worth their salt would do, didn't just let the booing go on and ruin the performance, answered them, boasting some more to intimidate them, and giving them the chance  to just back down.
- at this point, Spike, like the others, just can't seperate reality from Showmanship, and that's basically what drives this whole episode, Twilight had every right to be worried after those reactions, and tbh, she seemed to have no problem with the show herself, i commend her for that
- then RD just decides to see this as a challenge, and goes on stage to confront Trixie, which in turn, answers with more boasts, to scare her away and move on.
- Spike, of course, continues being an ass, and not being able to tell reality from showmanship, until Twilight, even if for different reasons, does the right thing and shuts him up
- Trixie after all that trashtalk decides to challenge the audience, something many magicians do in our world aswel. and once you decide to step on that stage, you better be prepared to be ridiculed, or not go there at all, it's how it works, the show must go on, AJ being the confident and antagonistic mare she always was, takes the bait, and ends up humiliated,(worth noting is that Trixie wasn't able to top those kind of tricks, so she focused on stoping them in a funny way instead, if it was a contest i'd say she lost, but it was a show,her show in particular, her aim is to enertain and keep a good image)
- RD steps in right after, with a statement so wrong it defy's it's logic itself, but since it's a show, it acually has more logic behind it than AJ's complain or spike's. tallent has been challenged so RD goes to show hers, and once again, Trixie can't fly and do these tricks, but she has some of her own, and the same (===) applies that was in AJ's part, i have to commend whoever came up with that routine RD shoed though, it was pretty awesome and well thought. Trixie also counters with some pretty clever puns to top it all(seems like any pony with a Dash of good sense..)
-then everypony trying to force Twilight to go, as if their actions weren't stupid enough already, is just... ugh. but Rarity thinking it was all about her makes this little scene priceless, so i won't complain, not to mention her scolding of the other's actions and how easily she's goaded to go with a few words from Trixie, one of the best scenes of the episode imo.
beating Trixie with a lecture isn't how it's done, so she made short work of her, and i love how spike didn't take the hint and just blurted out "it's green"
- and of course, he goes on to try to bully Twilight into going on stage, which she wisely refused, not because she couldn't win, but because it was a stupid notion and was never about winning to begin with, she didn't take the bait, but run under the pressure of both Trixie and her friends(which btw acted pretty insensitive about it)
- now Trixie basks in the adoration of ponyvilles citizens which is what fuels her to begin with, but gets annoyed by snips and snails' constant banter and gets rid of them, while still accepting their gifts, but she still keeps that facade even off stage,
- and at this point, Spike's insistence of sabotaging Trixie's show becomes tiresome, he should be comforting Twilight,(though i'm sure in his mind he's standing up for her), and even later when he's back at the library, he still pesters her instead, he really can't take a hint
- Snips n Snails go wake an ursa, then go wake Trixie and expect a show, she keeps her facade up, but when she sees the Ursa her Reaction is Pricless, she just throws it all away, and runs, after some pressure, she does try her best, which is of course not enough, but hey, at least she didn't leave them there
let me take the time here to note that Trixie's wagon, just got destroyed, it was her home and her stage(job) it was probably all her fortune, and we can she how much it meant to her in a way by seeing her tell us about the next wagon in "a road to friendship", besides all that, she tries to stop the Ursa, she should be praised for her bravery instead of being chased out,
Twilight comes, and is just as shocked when she hears they brought the Ursa on purpose, and rightly so, Trixie admits she can't vanquish it, and by that point it should have been obvious but once again, this episode is fueled by the fact that some can't seperate show from reality
Spike, as clueless as ever, prods Twilight to handle it without understanding what he's asking, Twilight of course, is just as afraid to face the Ursa, but she went and face it anyway, like Trixie did, I loved the fact that Twilight didn't just beat the it with power, but used her mind and made a good strategy on the spot instead, we need more of that kind of solutions, she wasn't powerful enough, but her town and friends were in danger, so there was no running away, while in Trixie's case, her Image and two strangers were what was at stake, plus, she's not as strong, or as well trained as Twilight to begin with. the twist that it was an Ursa Minor, a baby, makes this whole endeavor that much more fun and ironic, and Trixie's boast that much more proposterous
and now comes the cringy part, where her friends tell her how magic is part of who she is etc etc, but my question is, why didn't they apply the same to Trixie, she also has a Cutie Mark for magic, Stage magic it seems, so it's a part of who she is, and they despise her for it, just because they don't know her personally, that's double standards, but lets not dwell on that
-Twilight instead of booing Trixie like the others, was intrigued and did some research(of course she did) it fits her perfectly, and it also makes her plan to save them from the Ursa more believable, go Twilight
- Trixie tries to save face, even if it's a loosing battle, she has to keep her image at all costs, so she makes a Great and Powerful exit, befitting her character. at this point, all i have to say is Twilight really did act levelheaded and just let her be/stopped RD from chasing after her, what i keep against trixie is that she came for her in her revenge instead of going after AJ, RD and Spike, who were the real reason everything went astray(i'm not saying that would be the right thing to do either, but it would make more sense if she did)
-Snips and Snails can't be held responsible, as they're clearly not very smart, and are just kids, but their parrents should be called, and at least don't reward them for it..

all in all, despite things happening just so that the plot can go on, this is one of my favorite episodes of the season, it introduced us to Trixie, it portrayed Twilight as a very levelheaded person, and was a blast to watch from start to finish, the only problem is it left a sting for AJ and RD, when i first watched it, you have to remember this episode is pretty early on, and we didn't know these characters very well. anyway, it's a 9/10 from me

You might want to put spaces between your list of points. It felt like reading a wall of text.

7 minutes ago, Happy Yoshi said:

I don't have time for this. I feel like I've been obligated.

You might want to put spaces between your list of points. It felt like reading a wall of text.

it will look even longer then, you don't have to read it though, it's mostly me narating the episode while saying some words for each scene

For Zecora's episode it is the time
so my thoughts i'll share in rhyme

A zebra named Zecora lived in forest deep
she loved to talk in rhymes,bit more than most
but when for herbs to town she made a trip
lt was deserted,nopony shops to host
she went back to her tree her face to sweep
when a young filly who was surely lost
came in determined her cool to keep
asking the cure of jokes for her friends, at any cost
who entered some time later with a leap
she just stood there,frozen like a post
acusing her of being a vicious creep
and in this way insulting her, their host

after she told them everything, they seemed so sorry
that they did not examine the whole story

so now that the missunderstanding's over
they learned to not a book judge by it's cover

i enjoyed it a lot, just like back then
so i give this episode ten out of ten

parasprites,you could say they're the gremlins of equestria, only they look cute at all times, it was nice to see pink one save the day, in the most Pinkie way possible, how they ignore her kinda reminded me of how everypony just spoke over flutters on Dragonshy, and it can be pretty irritating when it happens IRL so i can totally relate
as for the aftermath, most of ponyville didn't get it as rough but i saw some houses getting wrecked, including the Apple family's which got completely devoured
an enjoyable episode, but it has some tough competition in this season so i'll give it a 7/10

Winter wrap up, what a geat laid back episode this is, and the song is so catchy, it explores the problem of fitting in, and how to go the wrong and the right way about it, Twilight was great in this episode, but the one i didn't remember being so active was Spike, rewatching it really made me appreciate what he contributes to it, the "you're not mummy" got me by surprise, i didn't remember it, and having now watched the later episodes like dragon migration and father knows beast, i can appreciate it more, i always thought their relationship was that of a big sister-little brother, and i get to have it supported a bit more(though Twilight is at times motherly, so are big sisters quite often)
overal, an episode that i'll always remember fondly 9/10

i noticed that Scoots and Sweetie belle aren't in the class, so i wonder, did they transfer there later?
Rainbow dash' strategy for getting a cutie mark is basically what the crusaders are doing, so in a way she's indirectly a founding member. and we get to see the CMC founded in this very episode which is exciting,but why did Applebloom act like she met scoots and Swetie belle just then, they seemed to be together in the summer sun celebration in e2?

a really nice and fun episode that gives us an explanation of what a cutie mark really is, which we didn't know much of so far(we only had a remark to it in e6 i think when Twilight was explaining to spike that her special talent is magic)

• Brohoof 1

A few thoughts I have on this week's episodes:

Look Before You Sleep: back when I watched it for the first time I didn't get Rarity's dramatic self and was a hard AJ supporter during their clash. Twilight is absolutely adorable during the whole thing. :wub:

Bridle Gossip: Applebloom became one of my favorite ponies on this one, I hated Pinkie's song at first, now I found it funny. Spike's nicknames for the cursed mane 6 are the best and his comment about Twilight's name is the cherry on top. :D

Swarm of the Century: I love how Rarity was completely fine with the parasprites' exponential reproduction until she became aware of how did they reproduce and found it repulsive. If I remember correctly, this is the first episode in which we see Twilight snapping out. :-P

Winter Wrap Up: I liked how the episode defined Twilight's leadership. The song was catchy as hell but so cringey, I actually lowered the volume when it started. :mlp_lie:

Call of the Cutie: Silver Spoon - "Look at her mane!"... alright, I love this filly. Amazing introduction for Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon, I miss them. Applebloom trying to sell apples is the sweetest thing. :catface:

• Brohoof 1

i always enjoyed how competitive these two are, and i have to say, a race is always fun, especially when they started sabotaging each other, which reminded me quite a lot of Herbie the beetle(the old one),Spike was a fun announcer, but Pinkie Pie was just priceless,i also love how in-character of her it was to invite him co-announce(she'll spot your frown for a mile that one, and do everything she can to turn it upside down) and Twilight catching up to them with her leisurly pace was quite fun, especially in the end when she explains her strategy, i'm glad she came 5th and not 1st, since it was her first time(protagonists don't have to win every time)
a good episode overal, 7/10

suited for success, this.. this was the episode that made me like Rarity more than the rest of the mane6, I just relate to her so much as an artist, I tend to offer to do more than i can chew too often like she did in this episode, and boy oh boy some clients are like the mane5 in the song(especially in the past that i didn't know how to operate my shop very well), speaking of, that song is just amazing, and it's now stuck to my head once more.
the hoity toity disaster could have been avoided easily, since she kept the old dresses, she could have asked them to wear those for the show, and then wear the others for the Gala if they wished, but then we wouldn't have a very fun episode, so i don't really mind it. Spike really upped his game in announcing in this one,
and what may be my favorite part beside the song, is Rarity's break down scenes, rivaled only by her other break downs (in Sweetie belles dream, and when she lost her mane)
overal, a great episode, and i rate it, well.. i can be a bit biased can't i? 10/10

Feeling pinkie keen is a fun one, i really enjoyed twilight in this one, and how pinkie is just unfazed by her instead of insulted and just goes okie dokie lokie whatever you say etc. always cheerful even when everyone is panicked, it's not one of the greats but these kinds of episodes are also needed in between, 7/10

just finished watching the show stoppers, and i realised i skipped yesterday's episode, oops, maybe i'll watch it later

a CMC episode is always a treat for me, and this one is one of their best. i had forgotten the shape their clubhouse was in, and i wonder what kind of club did AJ had and with who when she was a filly, maybe i'll make a short comic of it one day, their performance may have failed and got rekt, but you can't say it wasn't ambitious, especially compared to the others' and it was actually pretty well thought out, if not for their misshaps, i think it was worth the dramatic performance award, which they seemed to be going for, both the costumes and the song genre pay tribute to one of my favorite genres so i may be a bit biased, but i think it would make for a great song to make a cover of *goes to search for just that* the talk they have with Twilight after the performance was priceless, it portrays their thought process so well, and they stick with it in many episodes after,even though they now have their cutie marks, they still haven't explored that part of their talents mutch, and i'm expecting to see more on it, since they have an inner cutie mark that doesn't really have to do with their tallent of helping ponies find theirs

overal a really strong episode definately a 10/10 for me

My thoughts on the majority of season 1 thus far:

•  Friendship is Magic: a fun (and surprisingly emotional in regards to the climax) introduction to Twilight and the Remane Five dominated by relatable character writing and hilarious gags (many of them strongly reminiscent of the best "Foster's" or PPG gags) which enable the overall charming air to absolve the occasional cheesiness of the episode's dialogue and the rushed pace of most of the second part.
  • The Ticket Master: more great Faustian comedy (the Benny Hill chase scene) and well-written characterization interspersed between an extremely basic conflict. Enjoyment seems to be based on whether you are willing to focus on the episode's positives over its more tedious elements.
  • Applebuck Season: the first flickers of AKR's later greatness emerge, with a number of highly enjoyable scenes (the bunny stampede in particular) despite the redundancy of the AJ fatigue scenes.
  • Griffon the Brush-Off: Gilda borders on a stereotypical jerk jock at times, but this is Pinkie (and Dash) at (their) finest - I still cannot believe how much I miss S1 Pinkie's more quirky and subdued personality over her later (more exaggerated) self.
  • Boast Busters: a ton of structural sloppiness and flimsy writing (including Dash and AJ being debatably more antagonistic than the episode's designated antagonist), but at least it gave us Trixie. 
  • Dragonshy: the predecessor to S3-5's tone and characterization. One of the most hilarious episodes of the season (the preparation montage is an absolute riot) and surprisingly nuanced in its portrayal of both Fluttershy (don't even get me started on how awesome the climax is) and Dash. S1 often seems to be more detailed than many fans tend to give it credit for, and this episode is a shining example of why.
  • Look Before You Sleep: a shining example of why AJ/Rarity episodes tend to be lower-quality; despite fleeting moments of decency, the conflict is way too basic for its own good/to carry a full 22 minutes.  
  • Bridle Gossip: an awkward case of 'tell not show' is salvaged by the sheer hilarity of the joke'd M6 ("I don't wanna talk about it").
  • Swarm of the Century: a refreshing reminder of M.A Larson's greatness after three (technically) seasons of his absence, mainly due to the absurdity and borderline self-referentiality of the dialogue. 
  • Winter Wrap Up: the eponymous song is deservedly acclaimed, but the remainder of the episode is pretty dry.
  • Call of the Cutie: a solid introduction to the CMC and Diamond Tiara/Silver Spoon.
  • Fall Weather Friends: far more entertaining than I recollected (despite Twilight being shoehorned in for no reason other than to incessantly remind viewers of the moral, although the show WAS E/I-rated at the time).
  • Suited for Success: a huge leap forward for both Rarity and the show itself. After 13 episodes largely bereft of great Rarity moments (she definitely feels like a typical mandated 'feminine' character in many early S1 episodes), watching her portrayed in such a complex and dignified manner is a breath of fresh air and elevates her to among the most nuanced of the M6.
  • Feeling Pinkie Keen: one of the show's funniest. What if she exploded... and then EXPLODED AGAIN?!
  • Sonic Rainboom: the climax is definitely the highlight of the episode. The sequence building the tension to the culmination of the Rainboom itself is one of S1's most impactful moments.
  • Stare Master: not much to note on this one save for the CMC being mostly generic child characters and another well-written Fluttershy climax (albeit it feels like a slight letdown after "Dragonshy"). 
  • The Show Stoppers: a tedious 22-minute compilation of the CMCs behaving like dull child characters. A number of scenes in the second act are fine and the song is a S1 highlight, but the remainder feels very disposal and obligatory. 
  • A Dog and Pony Show: the second leap forward for Rarity - I honestly love her chemistry with the Diamond Dogs in addition to the way in which the episode structures the revelation of her surprisingly savvy and intellectual thinking skills. Not to mention the multitude of great comedic moments like Spike's infamous "NOOOOO!!!!" and Twilight neighing during the final charge.
  • Green Isn't Your Color: another hit from Meghan McCarthy, particularly in regards to the surprising mileage they mine from the relatively simple conflict (S1 is a master of this skill). A memorable experience that will stick with me FOREEEVERRRR (mmm, juicy). 

With most of S1 covered and discovered to be a superior experience to my memories, I can now conclude that I am anticipating the forthcoming... wait, "Over a Barrel"'s next? Well...

Edited by Them's Seeing Ponies
  • Brohoof 1

Having now watched "Over a Barrel" for the first time in four years, I can understand the complaints that a number of fans pinpoint within it, mainly the ham-handed execution of the main conflict (I was amused by the ending battle's slapstick, but it felt too goofy when set into the conflict's context) and Pinkie being far dumber than usual (albeit in a different way from her post-S3 flanderization). Asides from those two elements, however, I actually kind of appreciate the show's willingness to experiment with a surreal Spaghetti Western-style atmosphere, creating a unique experience which (mostly) redeems the episode's troubled narrative core. It's pretty much an unorthodox example of a 6/10 episode to myself.

Edited by Them's Seeing Ponies

15 hours ago, Trix or Treat? said:

whining? i am NOT whining, I am complaining, you want to here whining? THIS is whining! one of the best Rarity moments ever

So is todays episode a dog and Pony show? or is it the one after? Just curious because your comment is 15 hours old and I havnt factored in timezones.

i usually change the episode in the time the Original post was made(so in about 1 hour from now), but sometimes i forget and it's done later(which was the case yesterday), but you can go ahead and watch the episode even if the post hasn't been renewed yet

46 minutes ago, Dabmanz said:

So is todays episode a dog and Pony show? or is it the one after? Just curious because your comment is 15 hours old and I havnt factored in timezones.