Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

An episode a day Marathon

Lord Valtasar

17 hours ago, Trix or Treat? said:

i usually change the episode in the time the Original post was made(so in about 1 hour from now), but sometimes i forget and it's done later(which was the case yesterday), but you can go ahead and watch the episode even if the post hasn't been renewed yet

Okay cool. :)

Since my last post, I've seen Episodes 9-20 from Season 1. I can't say a lot, but I enjoyed every single one of them. I felt very nostalgic for episode 13, Fall Weather Friends, as it was technically the first episode I ever saw. Sonic Rainboom is also one of my favourite episodes in the show, so you bet that I enjoyed rewatching it.

I should mention that I watched episode 9, Bridle Gossip twice. For some reason I didn't really like it the first time, but then I did like it the second time :mlp_confused:. I know, I'm odd.

• Brohoof 1

Bridle Gossip is a weird one, mainly because fan opinion on it seems to be divided based on whether one takes issue with the episode's structurally awkward 'tell, don't show' approach or focuses on the hilarity of the episode's gags (some of S1's most memorable gags actually stem from the joke'd M6). It's similar to "Feeling Pinkie Keen" and "MMMystery on the Friendship Express" (both hailing from the Faust era, which is the only point in the show's history where this specific type of episode existed prominently) in that regard.

24 minutes ago, Them's Seeing Ponies said:

Bridle Gossip is a weird one, mainly because fan opinion on it seems to be divided based on whether one takes issue with the episode's structurally awkward 'tell, don't show' approach or focuses on the hilarity of the episode's gags (some of S1's most memorable gags actually stem from the joke'd M6). It's similar to "Feeling Pinkie Keen" and "MMMystery on the Friendship Express" (both hailing from the Faust era, which is the only point in the show's history where this specific type of episode existed prominently) in that regard.

I just rewatched bridle gossip what a coincidence. :) 

• Brohoof 1

Over a barrel, well.. while it had its momments, it has to be my least favorite episode of season, not like i hate it or anything of the sort, it's just that s1 is filled with great episodes, and this one isn't on par imo, 5,5/10

2 hours ago, Trix or Treat? said:

Over a barrel, well.. while it had its momments, it has to be my least favorite episode of season, not like i hate it or anything of the sort, it's just that s1 is filled with great episodes, and this one isn't on par imo, 5,5/10

It's the one I am most likely to skip over when rewatching....

a bird in the hoof. first of all we're treated with a nice reference to Alice in wonderland, with angel running with a pocket watch, this brought Celestia just a bit closer to us, we see her make little pranks for the first time (pretending to drink her tea so that the cakes will spill etc) and it was quite fun seeing everypony freak out and act so differently than they normally do around her, everypony except Fluttershy who's usually the most timid, i really enjoyed Twilight once she found out that fluttershy had the bird, the banished/throw in a dungeon part, and the way she tried to force it back to health, Celestia having a phoenix pet fits her perfectly, and it can be seen as a harry potter reference(doubledoor) especially if you consider that she also runs a school for gifted unicorns which are basically wizards, then comes Rainbow Dash, she's not very prominent in this episode, but her scenes are quite fun, first comes the guards scene, which is a nice built up to fluttershy's moment with them, and to the last scene, then the part where she just glides through when the others chase the bird and thinks it's a race, and...   ..wait a minute did she just talk to it about pranking the guards? and i thought only fluttershy could do that. oh well
a fairly enjoyable episode overal, 7,5/10

I actually plan on going on a MLP marathon by watching everything. This will include EQG movies, shorts and specials.

All episodes of MLP FIM: 195

195 × 22 = 4290 minutes 

4290 = 71.5 hours

I really want to want to watch all the episodes again.:twismile:

• Brohoof 2

8 hours ago, Lord Valtasar said:

a bird in the hoof. first of all we're treated with a nice reference to Alice in wonderland, with angel running with a pocket watch, this brought Celestia just a bit closer to us, we see her make little pranks for the first time (pretending to drink her tea so that the cakes will spill etc) and it was quite fun seeing everypony freak out and act so differently than they normally do around her, everypony except Fluttershy who's usually the most timid, i really enjoyed Twilight once she found out that fluttershy had the bird, the banished/throw in a dungeon part, and the way she tried to force it back to health, Celestia having a phoenix pet fits her perfectly, and it can be seen as a harry potter reference(doubledoor) especially if you consider that she also runs a school for gifted unicorns which are basically wizards, then comes Rainbow Dash, she's not very prominent in this episode, but her scenes are quite fun, first comes the guards scene, which is a nice built up to fluttershy's moment with them, and to the last scene, then the part where she just glides through when the others chase the bird and thinks it's a race, and...   ..wait a minute did she just talk to it about pranking the guards? and i thought only fluttershy could do that. oh well
a fairly enjoyable episode overal, 7,5/10

I saw a bird in the hoof does this mean I am caught up to the marathon?

• Brohoof 1

what a treat this episode was, we got to see all of the mane 6 as fillies, and how they got their cutie marks, Twilight steals the show with her "huh?, huh?, more? yes yes yes yes YES YES YES yes yes yes... yes." but all of them were great stories, Pinkie Pie being raised in a rock farm makes her that much more special, and oh my, her full name, something so unlike her, it's all as random as only Pinkie could be, Seeing AJ act all fancy for the first time was also really fun, Fluttershy had the cutest design and a nice song to go along,(did she just talk in the water?) Rarity always knew what she wanted to be, which actually fits her really well, and her shouting at the rock and her destiny and getting dragged there was also a really nice toutch, RD is so obviously cool that i don't need to say much, she connected them all, and proven an imposible legend, possible, while standing up for Fluttershy, which i find pretty fun btw how no one cared to see where she went when she fell, especially since this whole race was made for her, and then there's Twilight, which besides the yes yes yes part, also gave us Spike's origin, and how she came to have him(though i wonder, why other students of celestia's school for gifted unicorns don't also have dragons if it was needed for the entrance exams, even if the "ran out of dragon eggs" after, there should be at least some more, from those that came before, Sunset where's your dragon?!) anyway, this has gotten quite long already, so all that's left to say is that i give it a solid 10/10

• Brohoof 3

This episode is a classic Twilight prancing was pretty funny and Pinkie ending her story with and that is how Equestria was made was great. Also at the End when Fluttershy says Hey what about a song. Scootaloo had the best reaction. :P

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Dabmanz said:

This episode is a classic Twilight prancing was pretty funny and Pinkie ending her story with and that is how Equestria was made was great. Also at the End when Fluttershy says Hey what about a song. Scootaloo had the best reaction. :P

scootaloo sounded kinda weird in this one imo. but her reactions were priceless nonetheless

• Brohoof 1

"The Cutie Mark Chronicles" is overall an amazing episode (in facets that others have already noted), but the icing on the cake is Spike's final line (and Twilight's subsequent reaction), which is both absolutely gut-busting and serves as a sly reference to the cheesiness of shoehorning a moral into an episode obviously designed to prioritize character-building over any explicit 'friendship lesson'.

• Brohoof 2

If the marathon began with the pilot two-parter on October 10th, wouldn't this marathon be covering The Best Night Ever today, considering that 24 days have now passed since said date? 

Anyways, TBNE is debatably the greatest finale of the series, with a surprisingly unorthodox premise for a show of its genre (main characters comically crash a party out of desperation to validate their expectations) fused with a ton of amazing humour (particularly the growing irritation of the Pony Pokey sequence and Fluttershy's infamous breakdown) and a unique conclusion to the character arcs of season 1 (among the most subtle and nuanced in the show's run, particularly in regards to the meticulous planning Faust and Renzetti invested into their construction and pacing throughout the season). Here's to this marathon's entrance into season 2 (otherwise known as 'the best season'). 

• Brohoof 2

Owls well that Ends well being the first Spike episode was pretty good Spike getting Jealous and trying to setup Owlowiscious only to get caught. Yeah I doubt she will buy that. I also felt bad for Spike when he misunderstood what Twilight said.

Some thoughts on the earliest marathon episodes.

Green Isn't Your Color: The first episode I found Pinkie Pie to be unpleasantly annoying. Rarity's "You must!" and Photo Finish's "I go!" gave me chuckles. Never would have thought that a character in this "girl's show" would pick her nose.

Over a Barrel: Loved Little Strongheart and her small rivalry with Dash. Spike's immediate bonding with the buffalo was much appreciated back then. I'm too biased on the episode's theme, so I found it somewhat embarrassing about the episode trying to explain reasons on the issue from the cartoon's perspective.

A Bird in the Hoof: Celestia trolling the Cakes was great. Twilight imagining Fluttershy's punishment is so ridiculous out of her idolatry towards Celestia. Dash trying to make the guards react and getting bored about it was amazing. 

The Cutie Mark Chronicles: During this episode I became aware that I cared about FiM's characters, the mane 6's stories were interesting and adorable, and the CMCs urge to know the their cutie mark stories was very funny. 

Owl's Well That Ends Well: Spike works so hard, I really liked his innocence during this episode, even when trying to set up Owlowiscious... that scene was ridiculously hilarious. I miss full grown dragons. Twilight was amazing during the episode, acted like a big sister to Spike and reassured him about being her family (not explicitly, but that's how I understood her position back when I watched the episode for the first time).

• Brohoof 1

A lot of what determines FIM content to be good, bad, or average comes down to opinion.

Unabashedly being hypocritical here, I won't make such a case with Owl's Well, which is objectively bad from beginning to end as well as my most hated episode of this season. The flaws are still as apparent now as when I watched it last year. But rather than pain myself to rewatch this POS ever again, I got a stack of reasons explaining why it's so fundamentally broken (pay no heed to the outdated bottom-13 below). This episode started the horrific Spikeabuse trend that wouldn't quit until after Princess Spike. This or Boast Busters are the worst written episodes of S1, and you can easily argue that they're among the ten worst, period.

If there's one good thing to come out of it, OW is thankfully half-retconned. The later seasons, especially Father Knows Beast, write Spike's relationship with Twilight as closer, respectful, and mother/son over pony/dragon with the slavery implications.

11 hours ago, Them's Seeing Ponies said:

If the marathon began with the pilot two-parter on October 10th, wouldn't this marathon be covering The Best Night Ever today, considering that 24 days have now passed since said date? 

Anyways, TBNE is debatably the greatest finale of the series, with a surprisingly unorthodox premise for a show of its genre (main characters comically crash a party out of desperation to validate their expectations) fused with a ton of amazing humour (particularly the growing irritation of the Pony Pokey sequence and Fluttershy's infamous breakdown) and a unique conclusion to the character arcs of season 1 (among the most subtle and nuanced in the show's run, particularly in regards to the meticulous planning Faust and Renzetti invested into their construction and pacing throughout the season). Here's to this marathon's entrance into season 2 (otherwise known as 'the best season'). 

I assume the Marathon had a day or two pause.