Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

35 years of pony- The franchise as a whole, both past and present

ManaMinori

So FiM has reached the ripe old age of 8, today. Great. But I feel like when celebrating what is, you gotta also celebrate it while remembering what once was. While people throw crap on the past gens, confuse a branch of g1 for g2, outright hate g3 and what came with it, I sometimes feel like it's worth reminding people that this generation of ponies- their toys, their animates series, its writers, these fans, all their contributions, all the cons and fanwork- none of it would exist without the generations that came before it. Fim stands on the backs of many generations of ponies and their fans; 27 years of series and toys and fans and fanwork. FiM is a small cog in the wheel of the franchise as a whole and wouldn't have come about with the series' creator, Lauren Faust, having taken inspiration from the joys of her childhood where g1 played a major influence. FiM owes its very existence to past generations- yes, even that of g3, as there were characters born from that era that transitioned into g4 and have become beloved by the fans of this generation. There have been nearly identical episodes that were brought about in g1 that have been remastered into g4 (Spike's Search/ Dragon Quest). So while we're celebrating, we'd do well to remember that we can also celebrate the past that gave rise to FiM in the first place.

can we just talk about the fact that this year is the year of the MLP franchise's 35th anniversary, while we're celebrating FiM's own anniversary? That's 35 flipping years of pony, you guys.

Edited by Nightmare Muffin
  • Brohoof 3

On 10/10/2018 at 8:16 PM, Nightmare Muffin said:

So FiM has reached the ripe old age of 8, today. Great. But I feel like when celebrating what is, you gotta also celebrate it while remembering what once was. While people throw crap on the past gens, confuse a branch of g1 for g2, outright hate g3 and what came with it, I sometimes feel like it's worth reminding people that this generation of ponies- their toys, their animates series, its writers, these fans, all their contributions, all the cons and fanwork- none of it would exist without the generations that came before it. Fim stands on the backs of many generations of ponies and their fans; 27 years of series and toys and fans and fanwork. FiM is a small cog in the wheel of the franchise as a whole and wouldn't have come about with the series' creator, Lauren Faust, having taken inspiration from the joys of her childhood where g1 played a major influence. FiM owes its very existence to past generations- yes, even that of g3, as there were characters born from that era that transitioned into g4 and have become beloved by the fans of this generation. There have been nearly identical episodes that were brought about in g1 that have been remastered into g4 (Spike's Search/ Dragon Quest). So while we're celebrating, we'd do well to remember that we can also celebrate the past that gave rise to FiM in the first place.

can we just talk about the fact that this year is the year of the MLP franchise's 35th anniversary, while we're celebrating FiM's own anniversary? That's 35 flipping years of pony, you guys.

Arrr Tis a hearty speech matee... I'm not sure why but this deserved a pirate comment. 

On 10/10/2018 at 9:16 PM, Nightmare Muffin said:

FiM owes its very existence to past generations- yes, even that of g3, as there were characters born from that era that transitioned into g4 and have become beloved by the fans of this generation.

and there may be only three G3 VAs that haven’t voiced in FIM :fluttershy:. Anyway, I don’t care much of older gens, I even had the typical “boy hates girls toys” back in the early 2000s, but it’s absurd to not even acknowledge the role each one played in the eventual creation of FIM, and it all started with a childhood dream of owning a pony :mlp_icwudt:

On 10/15/2018 at 8:33 PM, Khoufu said:

I've already gotten 2 of the anniversary G1s, but I've loved all gens since forever, even if G1 is over a decade older than me.

glad you've enjoyed them from the start. I wish more g4 fans would be willing to do the same.

44 minutes ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

glad you've enjoyed them from the start. I wish more g4 fans would be willing to do the same.

Hard to expect that. Previous gen were more focused on a different demographic. G1 could be more salvageable, but it for the 80s charm and cheesiness that many of us didn’t grow up with, and that can be a turn-off