Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your experience telling people in real life you like MLP?

LucasB

Online, such as in games, I often name myself "Rainbow Dash" so anyone who is in my lobby can see I'm a brony. Most people ignore it (it's the Internet after all), but some people seem to appreciate the show while others really hate it because they generally view the whole community as weird. I can't entirely blame them tho.

Image result for mlp meme

Anyways that's my online experience, although I know in real life it is vastly different. That's why I'm wondering what people IRL thinks about you. 

Edited by Egg-3
  • Brohoof 3

It's not that I hide the fact I like the show, but I just don't really talk about it much IRL. My mom found a few months ago when I ordered some merchandise off of Amazon and my sister's known for awhile. My niece just found out a few days ago when she saw my Netflix history and wouldn't stop making fun of me for it but hey, she also makes fun of me for liking Ghostbusters and He-Man so I think she just hates everything I like. 

The only other time it ever really came up IRL was in middle-school when a friend of mine noticed I posted a mlp meme on Facebook and started talking about it with me.

I don't really hide the fact that I like the show, because I really don't care what people think. My dad and my brother have known for a while. My brother actually tried watching it himself, but he said that he couldn't really get into it. He also got me my Discord vinyl figure for Christmas a couple of years ago, so I think he's definitely OK with it.  As for my dad, I'm a bit unsure. He's absurdly judgmental about literally everything I do, so...

Most of the reactions I've gotten were ridicule, especially over the fact that I say it saved my life (because it did). At school I got plenty of sick unfunny jokes hurled my way about the association the show has with weird, and absurdly disgusting sexual acts involving ponies. Some others actually watched the show as well, had a few friends that were pegasisters and were absolutely enthralled with the fact I watched the show. I even cosplayed along one of them for a school dress-up day.

I've told a handful of people, such as some friends and my parents. Fortunately, they've been pretty accepting of it. Even if they weren't, I wouldn't really care. You can't please everyone.

My experience goes like this.

Me: Tell you a secret.

My friend: A secret? Yes!

Me: I like mlp.

My friend: What?

Me: I like mlp, My Little Pony

My friend: What?

Me: A show about colorful ponies in a fantastic world, going about fantastic adventures... you got it?

My friend: Ponies?

Me: (facepalms) were you even listening?

My friend: Why don't you just show me what are you talking about?

Me: (shows him an episode of mlp) so how was that 

My friend: That was... Okay. I guess.

Me: Really?

My friend: Yes, so what was the secret?

Me: (Thinking of killing of him)

• Brohoof 1

Back in Jan 2016, I actually told my two best friends that I loved watching MLP FiM. One said he didn’t mind that, but the other said “at least you’re not gay!” I also set my google classroom profile pic to Twilight Sparkle at the time and during Algebra, a table of four students I knew began laughing hard at me when they saw it. My experience wasn’t too bad. Most of the people who found out or I told didn’t mind. I only found one hater at my high school that claims that “all bronies want to **** horses.” 

(edited)

The friends I have are friends I've had for a loooong time. So them finding out, really wasn't much of a shock to them at all. Just me being... well... me.

The only other exceptions are a couple people at work who spotted Ponies hiding under my uniform or my RD cutie mark pendant. One of the girls was like, "You know you're an adult male, right?" In a quarter second, two other guys proclaimed their fandom status.

There's another girl who messes with me whenever she sees me... playfully I mean. "This department is a Brony-free zone." I asked her if she'd be interested in some beach front property... along the Sea of Tranquility.

Edited by bornAgainEquestrian
  • Brohoof 1

I confessed to one of my friends in class earlier, and he's pretty cool with it. And before that I found a group of females who liked it too. My brothers know about my interest, but I haven't told my parents yet till now.

Edited by Kevin Tang
  • Brohoof 1

I really just don't. I don't bring it up unless someone asks me. Bronies have a stigma of overreacting about their interesting in ponies and trying to get everyone to like what they like. I don't want to contribute to that.

• Brohoof 4

Only my closest friends know that I am a brony. Getting out this information, especially at my workplace would destroy my hardly earned reputation. It is a fact, sad, but true fact, many people simply cannot and/or do not want to understand it, some of them would catch the chance to make a new mobbing target from me.
Sometimes it is better to stay in quiet.

My mom’s side of the family: Oh, that’s cute. At least you found an anime you like. (Insert Jackie Chan’s “wtf” expression meme here) 

My dad’s side of the family: GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!

People outside of my family: *looks at my Friendship is Magic themed shirt* Is that what My Little Pony is these days? Cool. 

Edited by Kronos the Revenant
  • Brohoof 2

I now have several MLP-themed D&D dice sets. ;)

Basically nobody really cares. My friends now occasionally give me MLP stuff if they come across it, the same way they do with werewolf, Doctor Who, or old Star Trek stuff. It's just one of those things added to my strange hobby list.

I'm a week away from turning 50. I'm long past the point of caring what other people think about me. :D

• Brohoof 1

One of my friends found out a couple of weeks ago, and he's totally cool with it.

Since I changed my Facebook profile picture and cover photo to Fluttershy during the summer, a lot of other people probably know as well, and although I got a few likes on both of them, nobody really seems to care.

Edited by shyabetes3939

A complete disaster. Everyone I have told is against it.

My family are completely against it and made fun of me loads. I have to hide any MLP merch I buy and I had to pretend to them that I gave up being a Brony.

I told a friend I met IRL, I thought he would be cool with it, since he likes PPG a lot, but he was completely against Bronies and he even stopped being my friend, just because I was a Brony.

So this is why I keep quiet about being a Brony IRL.

But I don't care about what Brony haters IRL tell me.

Because Bronies and MLP is awesome! :)

(edited)
5 hours ago, Raririsu said:

A complete disaster. Everyone I have told is against it.

My family are completely against it and made fun of me loads. I have to hide any MLP merch I buy and I had to pretend to them that I gave up being a Brony.

I told a friend I met IRL, I thought he would be cool with it, since he likes PPG a lot, but he was completely against Bronies and he even stopped being my friend, just because I was a Brony.

So this is why I keep quiet about being a Brony IRL.

But I don't care about what Brony haters IRL tell me.

Because Bronies and MLP is awesome! :)

Wow... so shocking to believe this is still going on nearly ten years later. :(I'm amazed at how little trouble I've been given for it. I'm actually living in the town I grew up in, and back then, I was the target of pretty much everything, and some of it for being into little girl shows as a kid. Now I'm here flashing Pony stuff with the clothes and a car with some superficial mods that scream "fanatic," and nobody cares.

About your friend, I suspect there's a bit more to it than liking or not liking the show. Especially for a PPG fan. I don't know if there's anyway you can still talk, but I have to take a guess that he's basing all of this on some very negative press that came out at some point or another.

While I was trapped in my self-imposed exile since around 2010, for a pretty long time I thought Cosplay was people just gathering for a shot at hooking up with a character they had a thing for. While granted, I know a bit of that does occasionally happen, it's far from being the core of the experience. But that was the image that was being presented on the internet at the time I found out about it. :(

Edited by bornAgainEquestrian

I don't really tell people about it, but I don't hide it either. It's no secret, especially when we get businessmen and visitors at work and they see my MLP coffee cups on my desk. I discovered that most of the people at my work have seen the show, as they've watched it with their kids. In my opinion, most folks don't seem to mind.

80% of people respond apathetically.

15% of people are totally cool with it. Like to stick up for people liking their own things.

3% are puzzled or feel awkward.

2% feel inclined to tease me about it. 

I wear the shirts everywhere and a hat. And a hoodie. And I have the wallet. So I get reactions all the time. Most people don't even seem to notice at all. I have worked with one person wearing these shirts for like a year. All the sudden she was like I like that shirt! Like its the first time she noticed me wear it lol. They aren't the super explosively loud shirts, more subtle, but still colorful pony on each one at least a little.

My parents know about it though they're the only ones in my family who do. On some non-pony sites, I use the avatar I have right now as of this typing but no one pays any attention as they likely don't get the significance. Honestly, it's not really much of a big deal given that I restrict myself to the MLP CCG and FiM/EQG due to being a casual fan as opposed to going into the deep end.

22 minutes ago, Ganondorf8 said:

My parents know about it though they're the only ones in my family who do. On some non-pony sites, I use the avatar I have right now as of this typing but no one pays any attention as they likely don't get the significance. Honestly, it's not really much of a big deal given that I restrict myself to the MLP CCG and FiM/EQG due to being a casual fan as opposed to going into the deep end.

Where do you play the collectable card game? I never tried to get into it but I'm curious.