Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If Football Was A Professional Sport In Equestria, What Would The Races Be Best At? (With Poll On If Football Would Work In MLP Or Not)

kewlman2006

Would Football Work In MLP?  

7 users have voted

1. 1. Would Football Work In MLP?

• Yes
    • Maybe, if there were restrictions to certain races
    • No

I've wondered this since the episode, "Buckball Season": What would the races in MLP be best at in football (American football)

So, I think that the best race for kicking and punting, being offensive lineman and defensive lineman would be the earth ponies, because we have seen them being really strong in episodes, and you would need to be that in being on the line, and I chose them to be kickers and punters since they can buck really well, meaning they have strong legs, but another would be Running Backs, but for inside running since they could plow through the defensive players if they were strong enough. Next, they might be good at being Free or Strong Safety's, but stronger versions like Troy Polamalu, since they are stronger than the other races, as I previously said. deinde, they could be Linebackers because you need strength to be that position, or if you wanted to have a fast Linebacker, just use a quicker earth pony. Finally, they could be strong Wide Receivers or Tight Ends. Oh yeah, they could also be Fullbacks!    

Next, I think that the Pegasus's would be good at being speedy players, since in "Fall Weather Friends", we see Rainbow using his wings to speed herself up during the barrel running. Second, they might be able to be Corner Backs since you need speed in that position, and they are pretty speedy if they can use their wings. Lastly, a Strong Safety or Free Safety, if you needed quicker ones instead of the stronger versions. Oh yeah, they could also be Wide Receivers or Running Backs.

Finally, Unicorns. I think they could be Quarterbacks, because they have good accuracy (most of the time), as seen in a couple episodes. Next. they could be dangerous when running, since some have patience like Le'veon Bell.

That's all the positions I think Football would have the races be in MLP, if you think there would be different positions for different positions, let me know!    

• Brohoof 1

That all is rather interesting, and certainly not something I would have thought about. Then again I know about as much about football as a rock in your driveway. So, let's just say that my two cents is this:
I believe a version of Football is possible, which they seemed to already have, but this would only be effective if no magical powers were involved at all. Or flight. That would severely off-set the fairness of the game. 

Certain rules are definitely required. I think Buckball as a variant is as close as you're likely to get, because in a full-contact game with Football's rules, it just sounds far too hairy, and I'm not sure what you would do with Pegusi and Unicorns in such a scenario because it would give them too much of an advantage. There would have to be a LOT of rules about who could tackle who to prevent such things.

On that note, I would've liked to see a more advanced version of Buckball that brings it to a sort of Quidditch level of chaotic. A much larger playing field to keep the Earth Ponies running and allow for more of them to pass the balls back and forth (yes, I said balls, not just one!). Perhaps up to three baskets per "side" with Pegusi goaltenders applied to each of them (either that or considerably wider buckets to amp up the challenge). And also "receiver" Pegusi who can only make a shot on a goal by deflecting a pass from an Earthpony, or they can pass it back to the ground.

Edited by bornAgainEquestrian

On 10/12/2018 at 8:09 PM, kewlman2006 said:

Finally, Unicorns. I think they could be Quarterbacks, because they have good accuracy (most of the time), as seen in a couple episodes. Next. they could be dangerous when running, since some have patience like Le'veon Bell.

Not a football aficionado, so excuse me. I just saw this and figured why not

Anyway on to why I'm quoting this particular part. Unicorns are pretty much the weakest race physically, so I am not sure Quarterback would be good. It's even worse if you think abut the times they run the ball themselves. There would have to be a rule of not allowing the QB to run the ball instead of throwing it, for their own safety to avoid being tackled

There would also have to be no spells (Except telekinesis and no using on yourself) and no flying at all for Pegasi, except at ground level

Edited by Lektra Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

Who you calling weak I Rainbow Dash the fastest Pegasus of weather ponies and me and Wonderbolts don't play your game called Football we call it Sonic Rainboom Ball which is super fast as powerful as a comet and our thing we'd call a touch down is a cloudsdale down because you run inside the clouds get it.  So yeah that's about it from your 20%cooler friend Rainbow Dash !

• Brohoof 1

43 minutes ago, Lektra Bolt said:

Not a football aficionado, so excuse me. I just saw this and figured why not

Anyway on to why I'm quoting this particular part. Unicorns are pretty much the weakest race physically, so I am not sure Quarterback would be good. It's even worse if you think abut the times they run the ball themselves. There would have to be a rule of not allowing the QB to run the ball instead of throwing it, for their own safety to avoid being tackled

To be fair, Quarterbacks ARE the most vulnerable member on the team. They tend to be much leaner, their armor isn't as thick to allow for more mobility, and because they aren't focused on colliding with other players, can get caught in very precarious positions. Their odds at getting hurt in a tackle are much higher.

While it makes sense, another problem is... I would not want to see what would happen to a Pegasus or a Unicorn, if either were tackled by an Earthpony. There's like being hit by a freight train.

• Brohoof 1

35 minutes ago, rainbowdashacademy said:

Who you calling weak I Rainbow Dash the fastest Pegasus of weather ponies and me and Wonderbolts don't play your game called Football we call it Sonic Rainboom Ball which is super fast as powerful as a comet and our thing we'd call a touch down is a cloudsdale down because you run inside the clouds get it.  So yeah that's about it from your 20%cooler friend Rainbow Dash !

I somehow doubt they're calling it Sonic Rainboom Ball. How many Pegusi know how to perform a Sonic Rainboom again?