Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I liked S3.

PCutter

Title says it all.

I liked season 3, even though it's hated by the entire fandom.

I liked it like all the other seasons.

Please don't make me give my reasons why, unless I really want to.

• Brohoof 4

Season 3 has Sleepless in Ponyville. For that episode alone I enjoyed the season. Personally I liked the premier and finale quite a bit too. Yeah it has a few stinkers ... but it’s a enjoyable season at least for me. 

• Brohoof 2

It's the weakest season of the show,  but it's not terrible, it's just okay. There were a handful of great episodes in S3, like the opening two-parter, "Sleepless In Ponyville" and "Wonderbolts Academy".  However, there were also a lot of mediocre and terrible episodes too, like "Spike At Your Service", "One Bad Apple", "Apple Family Reunion", and "Games Ponies Play".

The biggest problem with S3 was that it had only 13 episodes, which made the great ones stand out more, but also made the duds stick out more too.

This was also when the formulaic style of the first two seasons started to get a bit stale.

I think Season 3 is a great season, right in the middle of my favorite seasons so far.

'Sleepless in Ponyville' is the standing out episode, but there are a few more as memorable in my opinion.

My list of appreciation for S3 episodes:

- Loved: 'Too Many Pinkie Pies', 'One Bad Apple', 'Magic Duel', 'Sleepless in Ponyville', 'Wonderbolts Academy'.

- Liked: 'The Crystal Empire', 'Keep Calm and Flutter On', 'Just for Sidekicks', 'Games Ponies Play', 'Magical Mystery Cure'.

- Barely liked: 'Apple Family Reunion', 'Spike at Your Service'.

• Brohoof 1

I can say that I liked S3 more than S1. S1 just feels so stale and outdated, not just in animation, but the episodes were not as exciting as other season's episodes. At least S3 reformed Discord, that's a big plus.

• Brohoof 1

Whadda ya mean? I think S3 is awesome! :laugh: My only complaint is that it was a little short. Twilicorn should’ve happened later on, too, like in season 5. 

The best MLP seasons were the first 4 in my opinion. :P 

• Brohoof 1

28 minutes ago, Rhythm Red said:

Whadda ya mean? I think S3 is awesome! :laugh: My only complaint is that it was a little short. Twilicorn should’ve happened later on, too, like in season 5. 

The best MLP seasons were the first 4 in my opinion. :P 

I feel that the later seasons are as good, if not better.

30 minutes ago, Chrysalis89 said:

You're talking about a season during the show's prime years, of course it's still one of the better seasons, probably 4th on my list.

Eh, S3 is on the lower end for me. 

20 minutes ago, PCutter said:

Just to everyone who replied here, I'll be more specific

I liked every one of the 13 eps, but especially the finale.

That's that.

Even "Spike At Your Service" ?

2 minutes ago, Theanimationfanatic said:

I'm not knocking you, BTW, just kind of surprised.

You're the first person I've run into who legit liked that episode and "One Bad Apple".

I don't know if that's a compliment.

Consider me the eccentric. If I'm the only person in existence who likes those two eps while the world despises them, so be it.

• Brohoof 1

7 minutes ago, Theanimationfanatic said:

I'm not knocking you, BTW, just kind of surprised.

You're the first person I've run into who legit liked that episode and "One Bad Apple".

Actually I liked those 2 episodes just fine as well.

The Mane 6 attempt at making Timberwolf was memorable in "Spike at Your Service" and the song in "One Bad Apple" was catchy as heck.

Edited by Happy Yoshi
  • Brohoof 3

Just now, PCutter said:

Consider me the eccentric. If I'm the only person in existence who likes those two eps while the world despises them, so be it.

Not a compliment or an insult, just an observation.

If you like those episodes, than more power to you. TV is subjective and if you like it, than you like it.

2 minutes ago, PCutter said:

You're Not the only one anymore. I enjoyed them long before you wrote this topic

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Theanimationfanatic said:

I feel that the later seasons are as good, if not better.

Depends on how you look at it. The first three seasons just had this certain charm. Maybe it had to do with the small-town, slice-of-life feel. I personally haven’t enjoyed the later seasons as much as I did the first few. :adorkable:

• Brohoof 1

59 minutes ago, Rhythm Red said:

Depends on how you look at it. The first three seasons just had this certain charm. Maybe it had to do with the small-town, slice-of-life feel. I personally haven’t enjoyed the later seasons as much as I did the first few. :adorkable:

They have more charm, but the later seasons have more depth, more nuanced and mature storytelling, better animation, and In my opinion, better character development.

2 hours ago, PCutter said:

I'm glad you like the entire season, because it means there's even more of this series for you to enjoy.

Season 3 had some real gems. Except for "Too many Pinkie Pies" which is one of the few episodes I dislike in the series this season had a lot of good stuff IMO. 

Edited by JH24

I don't think I would say "hated by the entire fandom". Obviously, purist fans of the show who lost interest in the show after S2 despise it for it being the introduction of a show without Faust and then the introduction of Alicorn Twilight. Otherwise, the reception I see for S3 is normally lukewarm, the main problem people seeming to have with it being the short length. But glad to see you like Season 3 too. I actually enjoyed rewatching the season more than I enjoyed rewatching Season 1. :mlp_toldya:

2 hours ago, Happy Yoshi said:

Actually I liked those 2 episodes just fine as well.

The Mane 6 attempt at making Timberwolf was memorable in "Spike at Your Service" and the song in "One Bad Apple" was catchy as heck.

Count me in as well, I liked both of those episodes after a rewatch. One Bad Apple is perfectly fine so long as you keep in mind that the message is for kids and a specific kind of kids at that and Spike at Your Service is hilarious so long as you don't take it seriously.  

• Brohoof 1

That's not my favourite season - probably my least favourite of the first four - but I don't think it's quite so bad as everyone makes it out to be. More power to you if you enjoy it, really; I wish I liked it more. 

7 hours ago, Theanimationfanatic said:

They have more charm, but the later seasons have more depth, more nuanced and mature storytelling, better animation, and In my opinion, better character development.

That makes it feel like a show that’s much different than the one I first got hooked on, which may be part of why I prefer the first few seasons. Or maybe it’s the rose tinted goggles. I dunno which! :derp:

S3 was rushed and a "wrap up" - given the broad arc we see in S4 and some of the excellent character development there, I think we were slightly cheated.. but that said, S4 and beyond would have been a very different beast had we not had Twi's rushed ascension, as that formed the foundation for a lot of later development.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Sepul-Coloratura said:

I think if season 3 had 26 episodes, as the same quality of the 13 S3 episodes, it would be almost as good as season 1 and 2.

It may had that many episodes if not where because of syndication and that it was initially planned as the series finale :dash:

You're entitled to your opinion, but...

Season 3 was exceptionally terrible. As in, I found none of the episodes too good. To quote a post from an old topic:

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:22 PM, ~Dusky~ said:

I don't hate Season 3 necessarily, but IMO it was the low point of the series.

Episodes 1-2- Sombra was a poorly developed villain with basically no screentime, and the episode itself was quite forgettable. In fact it's the only series premiere that I sometimes forgot even existed. Even S6's premiere was one I remember because it's the only episode I never watched (because the premise just sounded like it would make a bad opening). Episode for me was about a 5.5/10. 

Episode 3- Probably the highlight of the season, though Pinkie Pie, even considering how many of her there ended up being, was a bit more annoying than she should have been here, but I have few problems. About an 8/10.

Episode 4- Introduced Babs Seed, my second least favorite character to have been part of the Cutie Mark Crusaders. She was downright rude to the CMC and basically seemed to torture the CMC... for the sake of doing so. Episode felt as if it had too little effort put into it. A 4.5/10.

Episode 5- This episode existed purely to give Trixie more screentime apparently. Seemingly out of nowhere she decides to harass Twilight and stroke her ego some more. A 5/10.

Episode 6- The episode where poor Scootaloo has a nightmare. It was a decent episode, but I find it as unmemorable as the premiere honestly. 7/10.

Episode 7- A fairly decent episode with a decently-written plot behind it, but I didn't like all of the drama. 7/10.

Episode 8- There was so little to this episode, that was apparenly about an Apple Family Reunion. All I really remember at all of it honestly is "Raise this Barn" and honestly it's not anywhere near the best of the series in that regard. 6/10.

Episode 9- YIKES. A Spike episode already plagued by a cliche premise, that becomes probably the worst Spike episode in the entire series. He became aggrivating and downright annoying. It was so bad I could SWEAR Spike suddenly became a different character. Probably one of the worst episodes of the entire series. It's up there with the finale of this season as well as "Hard to Say Anything." 3.5/10.

Episode 10- Pardon my wording here, but how can an episode with Discord in it be this lame? Working with the master of chaos himself, and you make an ENTIRE episode dedicated to reforming him. Actually pathetic Hasbro. About a 4.5/10.

Episode 11- After the miserable failure that was Spike at Your Service, they do ANOTHER Spike episode. One not even much better than the last. Premise was clearly an excuse to give more runtime to the Mane Six's pets, and the episode was ANOTHER bland episode in itself. Not another Spike At Your Service, but not really a good one either. 5/10.

Episode 12- Even Dave Polsky agrees when I say this, but the ending to this episode made NO SENSE. Doesn't help that this is another stale episode with relatvively slow pacing that makes it feel like it's dragging on for twice it's runtime.  Another 4.5/10.

Episode 13- I really, REALLY don't feel like talking about this rushed sloppy mess of an episode, with a conclusion that made so little sense that a vast majority of the fandom was just absolutely DUMBFOUNDED. Pacing was WAY off, none of the songs really resonated at all (in fact I  just wished they STOPPED), and the ending was the most nonsensical, clear attempt to end any series I've seen... At least it didn't cut off there and the ending did something GOOD by paving the way for mostly good seasons thereafter. Nonetheless, it was a complete dumpster fire in my honest opinion.  A 3/10, worst episode of the series in my opinion, even over "Hard to Say Anything." 

Basically the season is full of bad or unmemorable episodes, with literally only 4 episodes I'd consider decent.

Edited by ~Dusky~