Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Rook the right chess piece for Cozy Glow's cutie mark?

DonMaguz

Is Rook the right chess piece for Cozy Glow's cutie mark?  

12 users have voted

1. 1. Which chess piece suits Cozy Glow's cutie mark best?

• Rook
    • King
    • Queen
    • Bishop
    • Knight
    • Pawn

Cozy Glow's cutie mark is a chess piece and I think we would agree that it fits her strategic mind perfectly, but... does 'rook' represent Cozy Glow's talent/destiny better than other pieces? If not, which piece had you chosen to be her cutie mark?

Let me know your thoughts about this, I will add my own later on.

Edit:

Personally, I would have chosen the pawn for her cutie mark.

The rook is a big and powerful piece, with the ability to walk across the entire board when it has an open way, at the same time it has a narrowed vision which limits its peripheral sight.

Now, let's look at the pawn... it is small, weak, with the need (talent?) to pursue it's goal one step at a time, but with the ambition to become a queen!

Edited by DonMaguz
Added an opinion.
  • Brohoof 2

52 minutes ago, DonMaguz said:

The rook is a big and powerful piece, with the ability to walk across the entire board when it has an open way, at the same time it has a narrowed vision which limits its peripheral sight.

It's a rook and that statement is why I feel it fits her perfectly. She waits and manipulates, has a very narrow focus on her world view, and when she sees an opening she strikes. The rook is often underutilized by novices, and underestimated as well. It is a very dangerous piece, and most people don't get that until it is too late. 

• Brohoof 7

I disagree with the pawn, as it's a bit too in your face and can also implicate she's a pawn for something bigger. The rook is a very stealthy piece — a powerful attacker, the king's best defender, and can strike without warning.

• Brohoof 4

while I like the train of thought as ambition goes with the pawn, it reaches that goal slow and steady, which is so unlike Cozy Glow who, while being stealthy about it, makes some pretty bold moves.
I dissagree that the rook is stealthy, it's very predictable, and in no way underused imo, all newbies place too much worth in their own, and carefully monitor their oponent's,
the one that usually goes unnoticed until it's too late is the bishop,while it also needs a clear path to strike, it's much harder to spot unlike the rook's

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

While I agree on the manipulative nature of the rook, mentioned by @Jeric and @Wonderbolt Slipstream, it seems too strong a piece for a pony who relies on more than sheer power to achieve her goals.

I liked @Trix or Treat?'s approach, the bishop can also go unnoticed, its threat becomes obvious when you know what it's up to and it only sees black or white, that's something stilll to be explored about Cozy Glow. Would she be able to discern between right from wrong?

One thing that lured me about the pawn is the fact that it cannot strike face to face, it needs an opportunity to strike sideways while advancing a step, something that Cozy does, she takes her opportunities to strike but, when faced directly, she avoids the conflict.

Of course, the very definition of a pawn seems to discard that concept from a pony like Cozy. As @Dark Qiviut mentioned, she's unlikely a pony who takes orders from another one.

I thank everyone who has added an opinion on this speculative thread and will love to read anyone willing to make an argument about the rest of the yet unmentioned chess pieces.

Edited by DonMaguz
  • Brohoof 2

The rook piece is one that many chess players underestimate especially since it often gets ignored in favour of stronger pieces. A rook is silent, waiting in the wings, and pretending to be insignificant until it can unleash its true power. Play it correctly and victory is assured. For Cozy Glow, she is exactly like that: waiting for her moment and being insignificant until she knows she can make her move. On another hand, her cutie mark being a rook might represent chess as a whole seeing as it is a game where strategy plays an important part, and manipulating your pieces and misdirecting your opponent are needed.

• Brohoof 3

On 10/13/2018 at 2:58 PM, Trix or Treat? said:

while I like the train of thought as ambition goes with the pawn, it reaches that goal slow and steady, which is so unlike Cozy Glow who, while being stealthy about it, makes some pretty bold moves.
I dissagree that the rook is stealthy, it's very predictable, and in no way underused imo, all newbies place too much worth in their own, and carefully monitor their oponent's,
the one that usually goes unnoticed until it's too late is the bishop,while it also needs a clear path to strike, it's much harder to spot unlike the rook's

Legitimate point, though there is a curious perspective you missed that may add weight to the bishop argument. The bishop is traditionally considered more dangerous if used in tandem with another bishop, similar to how Cozy became more dangerous by working with Tirek. And Cozy considers allies to her desires ‘friends’. That said, the bishop pair is usually best in endgame manuevers. Also we really need a chess club here! 

Yeah I’m a nerd! 

• Brohoof 2

The rook is all about the end game.  Once the board becomes more clean and it is no longer impeded by pawns, it becomes a very powerful piece on the board.  In relation to Cozy Glow, she waited, biding her time until all the right pieces were off the board before making her move.  A rook can easily get stuck if too many pieces are left on the board.

While probably a minor point, the rook represents the castle, more specifically the seat of feudal power.  To her, Friendship was power and the School of Friendship was the seat of that power.  One of the biggest tools she used to get ponies on her side was the treat to the school itself, which could be viewed as her castle.

• Brohoof 3