Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ambient Beat- Ambient Beat

AmbientBeat

Ayyyy my 100th content thingy

I released the debut album of my brony music project Ambient Beat. It's essentially a concept album about the listener spending 24 hours in Equestria with each of the Mane 6 and then leaving, each song being instrumental to give the listener more freedom over their own interpretation of the events. 

It's also the moodiest album I've made so far, having a constant bittersweet tone to it. The album is Ambient Techno but has heavy Chillwave and Disco influences.

https://1977goingon1987ladreams.bandcamp.com/album/ambient-beat

I really have to be honest with you. This CD needs a complete overhaul and revamp. No matter if you think overdoing the glitches and all that and keeping the same idea running for an entire 5 minutes of a song, it simply will not work. You need to learn how to utilize your sounds so you can convey exactly what you want your listener to hear. Twenty four hours in Equestria...an experience of a lifetime...that's what I think. However, when I listen to this...all I get is really jumbled and misplaced ideas thrown into an attempt at an album. I'm sorry but there's no other way I can say it. It takes work to produce quality music these days and as I've told others, you simply cannot grow if you stay stuck in one place thinking what you're producing is good. I'm a classical musician, but that doesn't mean I stick to classical and only classical. No! I explore every other genre because it's fun and I love to step and think outside the box. Don't be afraid to try new things, see new visions. 

And most of all, please don't think I'm out to hurt and berate you. What I'd like is for you to take this into heart and think about it. Think about all the tools you've got to make music. No one's perfect but we can strive to be the best we can. I have 9 years of production experience. You can PM me at any time if you want help/advice. 

32 minutes ago, C. Thunder Dash said:

I really have to be honest with you. This CD needs a complete overhaul and revamp. No matter if you think overdoing the glitches and all that and keeping the same idea running for an entire 5 minutes of a song, it simply will not work. You need to learn how to utilize your sounds so you can convey exactly what you want your listener to hear. Twenty four hours in Equestria...an experience of a lifetime...that's what I think. However, when I listen to this...all I get is really jumbled and misplaced ideas thrown into an attempt at an album. I'm sorry but there's no other way I can say it. It takes work to produce quality music these days and as I've told others, you simply cannot grow if you stay stuck in one place thinking what you're producing is good. I'm a classical musician, but that doesn't mean I stick to classical and only classical. No! I explore every other genre because it's fun and I love to step and think outside the box. Don't be afraid to try new things, see new visions. 

And most of all, please don't think I'm out to hurt and berate you. What I'd like is for you to take this into heart and think about it. Think about all the tools you've got to make music. No one's perfect but we can strive to be the best we can. I have 9 years of production experience. You can PM me at any time if you want help/advice. 

What I was aiming for was to place the listener in this story and let them interpret the music themselves, which consisted of simple atmosphere, all over the place because I wanted a somewhat different tone for each character theme. The only constant I aimed for was a looming sense of melancholy, as the album itself was meant to be bittersweet. Its undertones are very personal and follow a theme that’s common in most of my other music, but here I just wanted to make a soundtrack of sorts for a story you pice together yourself. 

The only things I’m trying to let the listener know is that they’re in Equestria too meet ponies and that the ending isn’t 100% happy

8 minutes ago, AmbientBeat said:

What I was aiming for was to place the listener in this story and let them interpret the music themselves, which consisted of simple atmosphere, all over the place because I wanted a somewhat different tone for each character theme. The only constant I aimed for was a looming sense of melancholy, as the album itself was meant to be bittersweet. Its undertones are very personal and follow a theme that’s common in most of my other music, but here I just wanted to make a soundtrack of sorts for a story you pice together yourself. 

The only things I’m trying to let the listener know is that they’re in Equestria too meet ponies and that the ending isn’t 100% happy

I’m not getting an atmosphere at all. There is no way the listener can shape something from this. They’re not inside your head. This is why you completely need to redo this whole thing, because you need to know that people relate when they hear familiar sounds that mesh well together. You can’t expect someone to relate what you have to being in Equestria. You must provide the listener with a foundation, a theme. Sure some comtemporary music of today doesn’t have a solid theme, but you can still follow and feel what the composer wanted you to feel. Look at your first track. It’s just glitching two clips and it just ends. I couldn’t even make it the whole way though. It is what it is dude. You really have to work on your craft. Don’t be stuck in one place. 

And I really think a journey through music theory would really help you with foundations and learning really how to get the best out of your music and thinking outside the box

(edited)
On 10/13/2018 at 8:47 PM, C. Thunder Dash said:

I’m not getting an atmosphere at all. There is no way the listener can shape something from this. They’re not inside your head. This is why you completely need to redo this whole thing, because you need to know that people relate when they hear familiar sounds that mesh well together. You can’t expect someone to relate what you have to being in Equestria. You must provide the listener with a foundation, a theme. Sure some comtemporary music of today doesn’t have a solid theme, but you can still follow and feel what the composer wanted you to feel. Look at your first track. It’s just glitching two clips and it just ends. I couldn’t even make it the whole way though. It is what it is dude. You really have to work on your craft. Don’t be stuck in one place. 

And I really think a journey through music theory would really help you with foundations and learning really how to get the best out of your music and thinking outside the box

Sticking in one place was sort of my intention. I didn't want the album to be too eventful or eclectic(per track anyway) as it would've killed a lot of the lethargic, soundtrack approach. I just found a few samples and ran with a foundation that I could sleep to with the exception of "Loyalty". Ironically, this album is the most pop-ish album I've made so far.

I was going for music along the lines of Ambient Techno, Drone, Downtempo, Dream Pop and Hypnagogic Pop

Edited by AmbientBeat