Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

animation Disliked Anime and Why?

Rainbow    Dash

Searched for similar topics but couldnt  find one, so I made this one. I was thinking of all the animes that are either popular for no reason or that has a following. Mind you, some animes dont have to be famous in the mainstream or even heard of. You could be the only person to hear of the anime. I'll go as far as to say it doesnt even have to be an anime. A bunch of good as well as horrible manga exist.

I'll start out by listing my top hated animes from the top of my head.

1. Naruto
    The most hated anime and manga i know. Its always the first anime ANYONE gets into. Its the somethingth anime to follow the same general plot. Many twists taken from older mangas and when asked the creator and writers claim their work is original and not influenced. ONLY WHEN ASKED what their influences are do they reveal their sources they copied from. Characters have little to no substance to them often leading blending of character. Case in point: X character's family was murdered by this clan who were actually underlings to Y character. Now fill ion X for the Hero and Y for the villian and you have half the casts back stories.
  2. Bleach
    The same as Naruto but this time theres no rival turned enemy and the main protagonist has a less emo back story. Much like Naruto, the characters are just there. They arent interesting nor do they warrant any investment into. The entire anime's plot is cut up and spread between arcs which are not canonical to the manga. The plot is generally the same as Naruto. The main Character is actually super strong and through the psuedo-power of friendship and wanting to protect their town/village they become stronger than GOD THEMSELVES. Along the way we meet a bucket full of character, who much like Narutos bucket full of characters, have some sort of back story you quickly forget.

These are just a few off the top of my head. Lets hear what you have to say
  • Brohoof 2

Some that I dont like that much

Naruto

too much filler and even if you skip the filler, towards the end it just gets pretty weird

Dragon Ball 

I just never got it

Clannad

Fuko-chan  was too much for me I heard it gets better in the AS but i havent got that far yet

Black Clover

The screaming is too much for me and the plot armor feels kinda strong

Fairy Tail

I thought it was decent but there really isnt much going on there Maybe I'll need to check it out again

Pop Team Epic

It was painful

Ajin

Premise was decent but i didnt like how they handled it and the characters felt terrible

Seven Deadly Sins - It's a shame, I really wanted to like it, but in the end I couldn't. My annoyances began with the main character groping the female protagonist while she was unconscious, and then it continued from there, as if it was supposed to be "cute". (And yes, I've heard about future plot points regarding to two characters. It doesn't excuse it for even one second, especially that first scene where she wasn't even conscious.) Then the story was just incredibly bland, and the season ended with some of the most grating shonen/general cliches in stories ever.

Fairy Tail - I thought this was series was 'okay' for a long time. It was never among my favorites, but it was something that just was, was worth watching at least. But then the most recent arc before the anime quit last time happened and it all just felt like a mishmash of bad shonen cliches combined with characters I realized I sadly didn't really feel much of anything for after all of the episodes I had watched over the years. When the series pulled a false sacrifice that I absolutely knew wasn't going to actually happen, combined with a really not foreshadowed at all deus ex machina to 'save' those characters from sacrificing themselves, it really solidified my opinion of the series as mediocre.

I started out liking Bleach, but lost interest when it devolved into a battle arena type show.

"Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch"  /  "Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch Pure" (it's really one show with 91 episodes!) This is going to sound weird. I really don't like the show, but am sort of addicted to it. I've watched up to episode 74.. In every episode I want to slap some sense into Lucia, the main character. She's such a crybaby! I do like the Black Beauty sisters though, and think their songs are much better. Their battles consist of them SINGING at each other! Yeah, I'll probably finish it up, even though the characters make me angry and the plot is totally annoying me.

Back on an edit. That does sound weird. I do dislike Mermaid Melody though. I just want it to somehow finally come together. The show's a mess as of now, but I've seen to many episodes to just stop.

Edited by cuteycindyhoney

Naruto and Bleach, for pretty much the same reasons written on the above comments.

Death Note, because up until then most mangas I'd read and then watched an anime, the animation actually improved the experience. On Death Note that effect was reverted, the anime didn't live up to its original work and the dramatization was over the top for Light, who was supposed to be a cool guy.

One Piece*: I don't dislike the whole anime and actually love it for almost 400 episodes, but... it was around the 400th episode that I stopped watching it because the animation was terrible, I'm not sure if the studio was changed or the animation budget suffered a big cut but I had that feeling... I just kept watching until the end of the short arc they were in back then. Fortunately, I had been reading the manga a while before and I really didn't miss anything important.

Re:CREATORS.

The protagonists suffer, die, and/or get bittersweet endings; and the Villain Sue antagonist does psychopathic things to them for a shallow reason (i.e., "I'mma destroy the world to avenge my Creator/friend because a few people cyberbullied her to suicide!" -- yes, really) and gets the happiest ending.

Naruto. The show to me just seems to have so little substance for running so long... And I can see how that is. The show (and every one after it) are basically at least 90% filler. Even then the whole premise of the show is stupid. Either the person who wrote the show has no idea what ninjutsu really is or has an insane lack of creativity...

• Naruto shippuden ( just hate it) 
  • My hero alchemy ( the first season was great but then it begins to be so familiar with Naruto on the next)
  • Fairy Tails
  • Any overhyped anime in general.
  • Osomatsu-san- It's the most redundant anime I ever watched, it's brings no justice to the osomatsu-kun whatsoever.
  • more..

Naruto and Bleach aren't the worst I've ever seen (particularly considering my foolish younger self's determination to sit through seven Dingo Pictures films and the Italian Titanic film with the infamous rapping dog IN ONE WEEK) but they are painfully mediocre through the bulk of their runs (particularly their latter halves). RD pretty much articulated my thoughts above.

Surprisingly, I would actually insert a few criticisms for Yuri on Ice here. Following the great uproar it generated online a while back, I honestly want to like it (really, I did) but the general tone was far more insipid than I expected - although the run of 13 episodes occasionally produces a few interesting moments (including the conflict in episode 3, which I actually considered to be the best part of the run), the atmosphere is incredibly artificial and lame, as if the show desperately yearns to be an artsy glimpse into the soul of the iceskater whilst relying on nosebleeds for comedy and treating absurd, unrealistic, poorly written flamboyant caricatures of gay men (and no, I'm not merely referring to Victor here) as essential emotional focal points - as much as it wants to have it both ways, it can't, and neither side is well-written enough to justify any truly compelling material. It felt more akin to a 14-year-old's visualization of an 'anime' as opposed to the genuine article, and that makes me incredibly depressed, considering how the show had a surprising unique premise and elements laid out in front of itself - it's simply the treatment and execution of those elements that irks me.

Those two mangas were the most popular ones, in early 2000's, some called them the big 3 (Onepiece, Naruto, Bleach). It is natural that more popular ones have more hate. But unlike Onepiece, the other two were like the representatives of mangas falling apart and losing it's former glory. Naruto slowly became a repetitive story about Naruto persuading enemies who planned world ending, and threw the 'hard working normie' idea out of the window and eventually everything was about the bloodlines and given natural talents. Basically the story turned it's back on itself. Some even said that Madara's plan was actually the best plan ever and logically pointed out all the corruption and injustices in the system of Konoha in great details. (It's ridiculous that those were all legit points and hard to deny)

In the case of Bleach, it's even worse in my opinion. Basically after the Soul Society arc, the story turns dull, repeating the rescue girl scenario, numbering all the characters and open a tournament match just to fight. And after that, I can't even remember what happened because the story was so dense and unfocused, impossible to contain it in my brain.

So basically those both didn't lived up to it's former glory and fell quite miserably.

• Brohoof 1

On 10/14/2018 at 10:35 AM, Rainbow Dash said:

Bleach
The same as Naruto but this time theres no rival turned enemy and the main protagonist has a less emo back story. Much like Naruto, the characters are just there. They arent interesting nor do they warrant any investment into. The entire anime's plot is cut up and spread between arcs which are not canonical to the manga. The plot is generally the same as Naruto. The main Character is actually super strong and through the psuedo-power of friendship and wanting to protect their town/village they become stronger than GOD THEMSELVES. Along the way we meet a bucket full of character, who much like Narutos bucket full of characters, have some sort of back story you quickly forget.

I'll defend bleach a tad by saying that some of the characters are actually very interesting. I think one of  Tite Kubo's greatest strengths is creating intriguing characters. The problem is that after their initial introduction, he forgets about them and either kills them off or doesn't delve deeper into their backstory or who they are. Most of their backstory is revealed right before they die. It's a real shame because many of the characters have tons of potential on their own, but bleach has so many characters and focuses significantly less on character building than fighting. Ichigo himself is actually one of the most boring characters in the show, which is a real problem since he's... the main character after all.

On 10/14/2018 at 10:48 AM, 47216063816 said:

Pop Team Epic

I can't decide if I love or hate it because it's so hilariously stupid. It's quite something. Otherwise I've never seen an anime that I didn't like, to be honest.. and I've seen plenty. People say SAO is pretty bad, but I haven't watched it... all the shows I've seen have either been good or stellar 

Edited by Olly
  • Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, Olly said:

can't decide if I love or hate it because it's so hilariously stupid. It's quite something. Otherwise I've never seen an anime that I didn't like, to be honest.. and I've seen plenty. People say SAO is pretty bad, but I haven't watched it... all the shows I've seen have either been good or stellar 

I wasn't that bad but when you needed to sit through the same episode basically twice I reached my limit I mean it would've been alright if the episodes actually had some decent content but the jokes got old pretty quickly atleast for me.

1 minute ago, 47216063816 said:

I wasn't that bad but when you needed to sit through the same episode basically twice I reached my limit I mean it would've been alright if the episodes actually had some decent content but the jokes got old pretty quickly atleast for me.

I don't think the show has jokes. I think it's more of a spectacle... honestly I've never been more confused watching something, which is saying something considering the things I've watched- I have to give it credit for that at least. I'd need to see more of it to decide, because I've honestly not seen much of it. 

• Brohoof 1

WataMoto- This anime depressing to me, girl can't get what she want and be what she can't. Thing keep going worse for her. Her geek friend become beautiful girl and had boyfriend and friends and her cousin know the truth about her. Her Brother become popular at school and even had his two classmate to give her brother's homework when he was ill and also he's ashame of her sister. She want become popular, wanted to alone cos she seem her classmates didn't notices her, well least she didn't get buillied, but both are never great,

.Tiger and Bunny- Another anime that depressing me and even annoyed me. Tiger wanted to be a hero but world don't to care only to ones they like. A hero get sponsers and there Tv Station having flying camera that watch heroes do battle. Tiger were unpopular and force to team up with Bunny and Bunny seem to get all the credit, He try help his fellow team mate, Blue Rose but she being a *****. Does she care for Tiger or something? cos Only seen season 1, she even join in when Tiger been making fun of.  I like superhereoes but this anime depressing. As only seen season 1, what this anime doing to Tiger making the **** out of him?

Death Note is by far my most hated anime. It is the apogee of anime cliches and tropes. The two main characters are basically perfect. Constantly one-upping each other because they are just the smartest people in the world. One of them is the perfect student, the perfect son, and he just happens to be the perfect killer psychopath too! Wow, never seen that trope in anime before, the absolutely perfect main character. Except it is in almost every anime and manga ever and it is at its absolute worst here. These two perfect beacons of intelligence also happen to live within walking distance of each other in Japan, because of course they do. There's a scene where these two, along with the rest of their class (because they also go to the exact same school) take an exam to get possibly get into a special school and GUESS WHAT. These two gods are the only ones who got perfect scores, because of. course. they. did. The writers were trying so hard to ram their perfection down our throats that I quickly started cringing at every little amazing thing they did. The last straw for me was this and I will try to word this as non-spoilery as I can: The two main characters are talking to each other, the killer teams up with the other main character as a way to cover his tracks  but he also is trying to figure out how to get the other out of the picture because the other one is basically a perfect detective (what a surprise) and then, out of absolutely nowhere, the detective character straight up points at the other one and says: "If I die within the next few days, I will make sure everyone knows that you are the killer." even though he is WORKING WITH HIM TO FIND SAID KILLER. Why would he convict him to such an extreme level? Sure, he IS the killer, but for the other one to just announce such a massive claim despite currently being his investigative partner, it absolutely screamed stupidity and cliche to me. He is just so goddamn smart that he can foil a plan that he had absolutely no idea was happening in the first place, all because he...just knows, even though he doesn't know. He;s just THAT smart, I guess. At that point I stopped watching, I couldn't stand it anymore.

I have absolutely no idea why this show is as popular as it is.

I also have a love/hate relationship with One Piece. On one hand, I like a lot of characters in the show, I like the uniqueness of the powers (even if some are incredibly stupid) and I do like the many adventures the characters go on, but for me, the show has two main issues: It is FAR too long and the villains all mostly suck. The show is what, over 800 episodes now? A friend of mine who is a massive fan and it all caught up, me and him did the math back when the show had a little over 700 episodes and it would take you well over a month of NON-STOP watching to get caught up. It would probably be over two months now. For a show with a continuous storyline, I honestly think that is sheer overkill. It makes it far too easy to get burnt out on. I made it to episode 160 or so before I started to lose interest. It sucks because I do love some of the characters and I would love to see them evolve over time, but I don't think I could ever get the time to even do that. I do like some of the games though. The villains thing, this is another massive problem. Since this is a TV14 show, it feels like the show wimps out on a lot of things for the sake of keeping violence toned down. Oh sure, some of the fights can be a bit bloody, but these villains hardly do anything to justify their reputation and long build up. One in particular, has an arc that is over 100 friggin' episodes long. Yes, you read that. This villain has over 100 episodes dedicated to him, if I recall correctly, during this he is built up to be, by far, the most evil character Luffy and crew have come across so far. What does this result in? This villain killing literally nobody in this entire time frame (except in a flashback I think he kills a few people) but he does nothing to truly establish just how evil he is. It was boring and irritating. I wanted to see him truly show his evil intentions and do things that really make us want Luffy to take him down, but he doesn't do a whole lot. He mostly just talks up a big game for 50 episodes or so and then he just gets his ass kicked. Now take that formula and apply it to most villains in the show. Boom, you have One Piece summed up. For a show with over 800 episodes, this formula gets soooooooo boring.

THE DEATH NOTE DEFENSE POST!

11 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

I have absolutely no idea why this show is as popular as it is.

Because it's an amazing piece of art about justice in modern society and human morality :P

11 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

The two main characters are talking to each other, the killer teams up with the other main character as a way to cover his tracks  but he also is trying to figure out how to get the other out of the picture because the other one is basically a perfect detective (what a surprise) and then, out of absolutely nowhere, the detective character straight up points at the other one and says: "If I die within the next few days, I will make sure everyone knows that you are the killer." even though he is WORKING WITH HIM TO FIND SAID KILLER. Why would he convict him to such an extreme level? Sure, he IS the killer, but for the other one to just announce such a massive claim despite currently being his investigative partner, it absolutely screamed stupidity and cliche to me. He is just so goddamn smart that he can foil a plan that he had absolutely no idea was happening in the first place, all because he...just knows, even though he doesn't know. He;s just THAT smart, I guess. At that point I stopped watching, I couldn't stand it anymore.

It's established from very early on that L heavily suspects and distrusts light, because as the character and yourself say, "he's too perfect". There's no point in the series where L's distrust and suspicion of light evaporates, it's always there and we're reminded of it. It's not as though L suspects him for no reason either, there's tons of obvious reasons why L suspects him.  L isn't a "perfect" detective, he's the world's greatest detective, they say it all the time in the show. He's sherlock holmes, and light is his moriarty. Sure, they're obviously very smart characters, but it is fiction after all. Nobody watching sherlock holmes says, "this guy is too smart, this isn't real enough for me" because the interplay of the characters and how they try to manipulate and outmaneuver each other is what's interesting.

Also you say elsewhere in your post that L lives next door to light, which isn't the case at all. L travels around the world and is drawn to that part of japan (where light/kira lives) because his detective work discovered that's where the most killings are concentrated in. You say that Light is the perfect student, son, and psychopath but only one of those is actually true. He's the perfect psychopath, and that makes him really good at using his natural intellect to manipulate people, pretend he's someone he's not, and react and outplay other intelligent people's attempts to catch him.

9 hours ago, Tao said:

Death Note

Its a teen with a freaking god complex if anything. 

It's about the son of the chief of police who's moral black and white view of the world becomes twisted when he's given ultimate power over life and death

Edited by Olly
  • Brohoof 1

On 10/21/2018 at 2:47 PM, Kyoshi said:

One in particular, has an arc that is over 100 friggin' episodes long. Yes, you read that. This villain has over 100 episodes dedicated to him, if I recall correctly, during this he is built up to be, by far, the most evil character Luffy and crew have come across so far. What does this result in? This villain killing literally nobody in this entire time frame (except in a flashback I think he kills a few people) but he does nothing to truly establish just how evil he is.

Are you talking about Doflamingo? Because he did a lot of stuff to establish how evil he was. For example, he forced a king to slaughter his own people just so Doflamingo could swoop down, kill the king and claim the throne as his own. 

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of valid reasons to dislike one piece, but the villains not being "established as evil enough" is not one of them. 

Death Note. The two main characters are basically perfect.

No they are not. L is good at what he does but that's about it. Light is smart and has a good appearance. There's quite a lot of negative things to say about both of them.

Constantly one-upping each other because they are just the smartest people in the world.

They are not the smartest people in the world. They did say L is the best detective, that doesn't make him the smartest in the world. Even if he was, I don't see how that'd be a problem. Would be pretty logical for such a person to be smart. Light is either a socio- or psychopath. Charming people, being manipulative and thinking logically is what they do. Even if the series pushes this to the extreme, it's to make the fiction more interesting. It's not like his brain is a perfect computer unable to make any mistakes, if it was it wouldn't have ended like it did. 

These two perfect beacons of intelligence also happen to live within walking distance of each other in Japan

Wrong again. L contacts the police force in the area after looking at killing statistics and because the events started there. He then moves to the area after confirming his suspicions.

because they also go to the exact same school

They didn't just happen to go to the same school, L doesn't even go to school. He had been suspicious of Light all along, he went to Light's school to see his reaction and to keep an eye on him.

out of absolutely nowhere, the detective character straight up points at the other one and says: "If I die within the next few days, I will make sure everyone knows that you are the killer." even though he is WORKING WITH HIM TO FIND SAID KILLER.

Again, it's obviously not out of nowhere as we have been told throughout the entire series that L suspects Light but is unable to gain any proof. He put himself in that situation to analyze how Light is thinking and get whatever information he can about him. They literally said this in the episode. Of course he would tell Light that they shall assume he is the killer if L drops dead. He's telling him this to see his reaction. Nobody knows who L is and L had the theory that Kira needs a face to kill, so it seems pretty logical to me to assume Light as the Killer if L just happens to die when he tells Light it's him. He's putting his life on the line to catch Kira, which he also literally says in the series. 

Why would he convict him to such an extreme level?

Because of the killing times he suspects Kira might be a student, and when this suspicion is noted by the police, the killings change. As L puts it himself: "As soon as we suspected that Kira was a student the timing of the killings changed as if to contradict our theory. Does this mean that Kira knows what the police know?" Kira also killed criminals charged with murder, some whose information hasn't even been made public, also indicating he has access to files from the police. Kira was obviously smart. So, put the pieces together and they are looking for a smart student in the same prefecture with possible connections to the police. Light was one of the people being spied on by the agents and as Raye Penber died, Light became one of the top suspects.

It sounds like you didn't even pay attention to the show. Were you on facebook while watching or something?

---

So for the popular series I don't like:

Kakegurui. The people in this anime are crazy to the point where it gets stupid. They are crazy just for the point of being crazy, and for some reason, everyone but the main guy is evil. The anime also tries to do some brain games but unlike Death Note, nothing makes any sense, most of it is BS and it's predictable because we know the protagonist will always win. I would have been fine with this if they gave us detailed explanations to how, but as stated before, the reasons why she is winning is usually bs.

Kantai Collection. Cute characters and all, I get that the games are really popular but the anime was pretty boring, bad animation quality, not much personality to the characters and the whole thing is just an inferior version of Strike Witches. Which is saying a lot because strike witches is flying panties the anime. Only good thing about KC is poi.

Re:Zero. I like almost everything with the anime but I can't stand it because of the stupid annoying main character.

Attack on Titan. Mostly because, well, it's just boring. The pacing is one of the worst I've ever seen in an anime, I almost fall asleep, and that's coming from someone who binged Mahoutsukai no Yome. I haven't read the manga but it feels like the author doesn't know the basics of storytelling. It leaves us with too many loose ends without giving us any reason to why we should care about the new sub-plots being brought up. It feels like it doesn't know what it wants its story to be and that the writer was just making shit up as he wrote. I don't have a problem with early info that is used later on in the show. In fact, I love stuff like that. It's just the way the show does it is really bad, and it never succeeds to grab my attention to the plot, mostly because they don't have a clear objective. Attack on Titan also fails miserably to establish a connection between the viewer and its characters. Most of the characters are really boring and poorly written, Mikasa feels like a robot just there to be cool and guard Eren. Eren is unbearingly annoying, whiny and one dimensional. Armin... what is his purpose anyway? It's a shame because the setting and animation is really good.

Hellsing Ultimate. It's actually a pretty well made anime but I just thought the story was boring. Or at least the way they presented it.

18 hours ago, Jokuc said:

Kakegurui. The people in this anime are crazy to the point where it gets stupid. They are crazy just for the point of being crazy, and for some reason, everyone but the main guy is evil. The anime also tries to do some brain games but unlike Death Note, nothing makes any sense, most of it is BS and it's predictable because we know the protagonist will always win. I would have been fine with this if they gave us detailed explanations to how, but as stated before, the reasons why she is winning is usually bs.

Doesnt the protagonist´s always win in freaking everything? All Movies, all Games, all Animations? When do we not know that the protagonist will win? Im pretty sure i have never seen/played something in which the main good guy didnt win. Except for maybe Silent Hill 2, with its middlefinger of an bad ending. Also the main character did lose and not everyone but her is evil. What about her friend?

My most hated anime of all time is The Testament of Sister new Devil. It features a child participating in sexual actions and im pretty sure that is very very wrong. I dont care if she is a really old demon or something, she looks like a child, so its wrong. I have no Idea how something like that was even able to air on television, which is where i saw a bit of an episode.