Rainbow    Dash

Animation Disliked Anime and Why?

Recommended Posts

I don't necessarily dislike any anime but there are some that I don't plan on watching...

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Attack on Titan. 

 

It's not just that it always looks like weird anime vore and Major League Giant Slaying, but the music is written by Hiroyuki Sawano. He writes song lyrics, hires Japanese singers, and makes them sing in English. I'm sorry, but I don't like it.

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fairy Tail. I know a lot of people dislike this one, but I'd like to give my opinion.

Fairy Tail has the same sort of conflict for each and every season; trust me, I spent a summer watching all of it. An enemy is revealed, looks like our main characters are going to lose (as if), and then they defeat the villain/s at the end of the season. They never gave us anything new to watch, the seasons were practically copies of themselves. Also, the character whose story we follow is Lucy's, and she is soooo irritating. I don't know why I sat through like seven seasons of that show when I didn't even like the main character. :mlp_gag:

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eiken purely because it was clear they didn't give two shits about the source material and seemed like they were just making it to make fun of the genre, or maybe anime in general. I'm not saying the manga isn't your standard harem fanfare but it's at least worth reading.

 

I couldn't watch more than the first episode of Attack on Titan. It felt like it immediately threw away it's most interesting aspect, the titans themselves, so they could focus on people drama. I don't know why they thought the anime had to be more than small things killing big things.

 

I liked the overall concept of Blood+ but the fact that fifteen episodes in and it feels like the plot of maybe three episodes stretched out just ruined it entirely.

 

Shattered Angels had a lot of horribly unutilized characters. It wanted to be romance. It wanted to be a mech anime. It wanted to have pretty boys and elegant girls with deep backstories that drew them together. It failed in nearly every aspect. It did have one thing going for it though and that is the overall feel of the anime. It was still...gentle in a way and few anime have replicated that feeling somehow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't essentially hate Food Wars, but I got about as far as the...

Spoiler

... scene of the peanut-butter covered squid violating a woman...

... before I went, "NOPE!" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those weird Japanese anime I keep forgeting what they're called.

Edited by Sondash Studios

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Sondash Studios said:

Those weird Japanese anime I keep forgeting what they're called.

... Hentai? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are some genres of anime that I don’t care for like harem and sword art online clones. They have been done to death and offer nothing new. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was recommended Steins;Gate as a widely known sci-fi with slice of life elements. What could go wrong?

Well, this is an overview of the issues. It contains mild spoilers.

The main character, the "eccentric" scientist which acts like anything but a human being. His character is portrayed as an intellectual, but in reality is because he's surrounded by idiots.

Then there's the "cute" girl with the hat. Yeah, that's how memorable she is. Similar problem. By the way, what's with anime women talking, acting and thinking with a mental age akin to a gullible five years old. What's the appeal of this?

And another woman, with the generic traits and stylistic drawing features of most women in this anime. But surprise, she is reveleaded to be a MAN, baby. Is this supposed to cause discomfort in sexually insecure people, which I guess is most of the viewer base for this kind of thing? Again, she screams, or more accurately "moans" like a little girl. Nothing creepy about that, right? Right, anyone?

There's also the token otaku for the pervert jokes and meme references. Tech savvy nerd, personally insecure, sexually repressed and socially dysfunctional.

Then there's the red haired girl. Again, all the female characters surrounding the main guy look the same. But this doll has a red wig. A shallow 18 years old genius who plays hard to get, but blushes like someone who has no notion of human interaction, or sexuality for that matter, when she's being "checked" by the main character. Isn't she adorable? Probably not.

Again, what is it with anime, and this very awkward representation of sexuality?

Apparently, this kind of thing is common across many different genres in this medium. Also, I was told that half of it consists of mind-numbing, padded interactions between this one-dimensional characters, reenacting cliche tropes. That's half of 25 episodes of gratuitous content aimed towards some form of proto-human or gollum-like creature.

Ah, and there's time travel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

25 minutes ago, They call me Loyalty said:

I was recommended Steins;Gate as a widely known sci-fi with slice of life elements. What could go wrong?

Well, this is an overview of the issues. It contains mild spoilers.

The main character, the "eccentric" scientist which acts like anything but a human being. His character is portrayed as an intellectual, but in reality is because he's surrounded by idiots.

Then there's the "cute" girl with the hat. Yeah, that's how memorable she is. Similar problem. By the way, what's with anime women talking, acting and thinking with a mental age akin to a gullible five years old. What's the appeal of this?

And another woman, with the generic traits and stylistic drawing features of most women in this anime. But surprise, she is reveleaded to be a MAN, baby. Is this supposed to cause discomfort in sexually insecure people, which I guess is most of the viewer base for this kind of thing? Again, she screams, or more accurately "moans" like a little girl. Nothing creepy about that, right? Right, anyone?

There's also the token otaku for the pervert jokes and meme references. Tech savvy nerd, personally insecure, sexually repressed and socially dysfunctional.

Then there's the red haired girl. Again, all the female characters surrounding the main guy look the same. But this doll has a red wig. A shallow 18 years old genius who plays hard to get, but blushes like someone who has no notion of human interaction, or sexuality for that matter, when she's being "checked" by the main character. Isn't she adorable? Probably not.

Again, what is it with anime, and this very awkward representation of sexuality?

Apparently, this kind of thing is common across many different genres in this medium. Also, I was told that half of it consists of mind-numbing, padded interactions between this one-dimensional characters, reenacting cliche tropes. That's half of 25 episodes of gratuitous content aimed towards some form of proto-human or gollum-like creature.

Ah, and there's time travel.

Yeah, seems like a generic anime using cliches presented as characters :dash:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, They call me Loyalty said:

I was recommended Steins;Gate as a widely known sci-fi with slice of life elements. What could go wrong?

Well, this is an overview of the issues. It contains mild spoilers.

The main character, the "eccentric" scientist which acts like anything but a human being. His character is portrayed as an intellectual, but in reality is because he's surrounded by idiots.

Then there's the "cute" girl with the hat. Yeah, that's how memorable she is. Similar problem. By the way, what's with anime women talking, acting and thinking with a mental age akin to a gullible five years old. What's the appeal of this?

And another woman, with the generic traits and stylistic drawing features of most women in this anime. But surprise, she is reveleaded to be a MAN, baby. Is this supposed to cause discomfort in sexually insecure people, which I guess is most of the viewer base for this kind of thing? Again, she screams, or more accurately "moans" like a little girl. Nothing creepy about that, right? Right, anyone?

There's also the token otaku for the pervert jokes and meme references. Tech savvy nerd, personally insecure, sexually repressed and socially dysfunctional.

Then there's the red haired girl. Again, all the female characters surrounding the main guy look the same. But this doll has a red wig. A shallow 18 years old genius who plays hard to get, but blushes like someone who has no notion of human interaction, or sexuality for that matter, when she's being "checked" by the main character. Isn't she adorable? Probably not.

Again, what is it with anime, and this very awkward representation of sexuality?

Apparently, this kind of thing is common across many different genres in this medium. Also, I was told that half of it consists of mind-numbing, padded interactions between this one-dimensional characters, reenacting cliche tropes. That's half of 25 episodes of gratuitous content aimed towards some form of proto-human or gollum-like creature.

Ah, and there's time travel.

...I-I actually liked Stein's;Gate. And it is mostly because of the characters. 

The first half was really slow paced, I can agree with that. But the second half is where the anime picks up and the characters show a bit more substance. Some of the cliches represented by characters get defied with little things like

Spoiler

Okabe revealling that he's actually not all that smart and his persona was created to make Mayuri happy, Daru meeting his future daughter, all the people who wished for something realise it isn't all what they wanted, etc

At least to me, cliches don't necessarily matter to how I judge a character. All I am interested in is whether or not they're likeable. And stuff like "awkward representations of sexuality", I brush it off and accept it cause, well, Japan has different values from the western world. If nothing else, Stein's;Gate 0 does a better job with the characters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

1 hour ago, Odyssey said:

...I-I actually liked Stein's;Gate. And it is mostly because of the characters. 

The first half was really slow paced, I can agree with that. But the second half is where the anime picks up and the characters show a bit more substance. Some of the cliches represented by characters get defied with little things like

  Reveal hidden contents

Okabe revealling that he's actually not all that smart and his persona was created to make Mayuri happy, Daru meeting his future daughter, all the people who wished for something realise it isn't all what they wanted, etc

At least to me, cliches don't necessarily matter to how I judge a character. All I am interested in is whether or not they're likeable. And stuff like "awkward representations of sexuality", I brush it off and accept it cause, well, Japan has different values from the western world. If nothing else, Stein's;Gate 0 does a better job with the characters.

I see. Glad to know someone can enjoy this kind of content.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

School Days: It starts out as an "innocent" high school rom-com only to turn into a bait and switch in the worst possible way, turning the main character in an abhorrent cheater and rapist, and one of the girls he cheats on turns into a murderous psychopath

Sword Art Online: A poor man's Dot Hack, with one of the worst protagonists within recent memory with Kirito, and taking an admittedly cool concept with the game itself, despite the whole "dying in the game and you die irl" being a bit played out. Yet they ruined by turning it into a shitty harem anime 5 episodes in

One Piece: Pretty much entirely due to its length. It's longer than the fucking Simpsons and at this point, if they ever decide to end the series and we find out what the One Piece actually is, it's gonna end up completely underwhelming no matter what it is

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

I gave Attack on Titan a second chance. My point still stands, but I got to know more about why it has an audience. One of the characters in the show who never smiles I think might be played by Matthew Mercer, who I recognize from some recent Fire Emblem titles. I have a soft spot for him as you can see by this meme I made on photoshop.

IMG_3600.thumb.JPG.d86c17f9218d50c3c49c0485e814da77.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, This Whomps said:

School Days: It starts out as an "innocent" high school rom-com only to turn into a bait and switch in the worst possible way, turning the main character in an abhorrent cheater and rapist, and one of the girls he cheats on turns into a murderous psychopath

Sword Art Online: A poor man's Dot Hack, with one of the worst protagonists within recent memory with Kirito, and taking an admittedly cool concept with the game itself, despite the whole "dying in the game and you die irl" being a bit played out. Yet they ruined by turning it into a shitty harem anime 5 episodes in

One Piece: Pretty much entirely due to its length. It's longer than the fucking Simpsons and at this point, if they ever decide to end the series and we find out what the One Piece actually is, it's gonna end up completely underwhelming no matter what it is

I didn’t think it was possible but SAO got worse in the second half of season one. Kirito is the blue print on how to make a Mary Sue (Gary Stu) character. The only things good about that show were the action scenes and music. The rest are best forgotten. Log Horizon did the 'stuck inside a game' genre a lot better.

Edited by Twilight Luna
  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i enjoy anime from almost every genre if it's done well(sometimes even if it's mediocre but happens to click) but one thing i could never get myself to like was sports anime, yeah. a whole genre, no particular ones in mind as i didn't watch much of any and just dropped them early, as for a grudge i have against something more specific, it's gotta be the new Berserk, mostly because the old one is one of my favorites and the new one underdelivered in so many levels that it's not even funny as a meme now.. other than that, i watched many of the anime listed above and enjoyed most of them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, PoisonClaw said:

... Hentai? 

What no. XDD:laugh:

Those type of anime like Food Wars. It's a kinda good show but there are some weird parts in it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 The shield hero one. I know there's only like two episodes out at the moment, but I've read the manga and been wanting to complain about for a while now. And now that's it's finally an anime, I can do so in this thread. 

I do want to stress that my issue with the show isn't with the idea of the main character doing morally questionable things, but rather how the story handles it. And shield hero handles it in the worst possible way, namely it doesn't leave any room for discussion.

Whenever the main character does something that you might find to be evil, the manga spends the better part of five pages justifying it. Take the whole "main character keeping child slaves" for example, whenever it's brought up the manga goes out of its way to have characters (often the slaves themselves) talk about how it's okay because he's nice to them and how they actually want to be his slaves etc. Meanwhile, the only characters who do point out that it's kind of fucked for someone to keep child slaves are either the obviously evil antagonist that everybody hates yet somehow simultaneously blindly trust or one of the other heroes. But the issue with the latter is that by the point they do start to actually argue with the main character over morals, they've already been established to be bumbling idiots that can hardly wipe their ass without the main character needing to go and clean up their resulting mess. 

Then there's the issue that everybody supposedly hates the main character, but that's really only the case whenever the story needs to get pity points for the main character. Or how the closest thing to the main villain has no motivation whatsoever to act the way she does.  

But eh, I stopped reading it a while back so maybe it has improved.     

Edited by Black Sabbath
  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

On 1/12/2019 at 12:10 AM, Monado Dashie said:

 One of the characters in the show who never smiles I think might be played by Matthew Mercer, who I recognize from some recent Fire Emblem titles

*Checks Matt Mercer's work*

Yup, that's Chrom indeed

I'd like to mention Pokemon as well. I used to be a hardcore fan as a kid, and Ash was my childhood hero, but the anime got stuck in bad vices since forever which I've already explained in a recent thread. Stopped watching it since mid-Hoenn

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/24/2018 at 8:30 PM, Venomous said:

I don't necessarily dislike any anime but there are some that I don't plan on watching...

I'ma go with what she said b/c it makes the most sense to me. :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd have to go with Anohana. while I was watching it I liked it alright but during the last few episodes it started to feel like it was trying too hard to get feels to the point it felt manipulative. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Join the herd!

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.