152 users have voted

1. 1. Thoughts?

• “Cozy Glow you silly pony. Be evil!” - Hated it
    • “Who you calling Cheeselegs?” - Not a fan
    • “Hey is that glowing sphere low calorie?” - It was okay
    • “Who the buck is Radiant Hope?” - Enjoyed it
    • Grogar! Ahhhhhh it’s finally Grogar ahhhh! - LOVED IT

17 minutes ago, SharpWit said:

I think they should promote her with additional duties and oversight on national matters, not just hand over the thrown, even if they're going to help prepare her for it.

Disagree. The second they inexplicably announced a quick succession plan, she almost broke down. Mentally and physically, she's still supremely tasked. Had Star Swirl, Celly, and Luna not hold the Everfree Forest off, they were done for.

41 minutes ago, VG_Addict said:

Are Haber and Dubuc still the story editors?

Yep!

• Brohoof 2

4 minutes ago, SharpWit said:

Except not much has really been done with her in that role, and she would have made most of the same choices during that time regardless of her position.

Not to mention she's had a mixed reaction from the populous, since she's been seen taken too seriously as a celebrity type and not seriously enough as a leader. There's work to be done for the poor mare.

Luckily she'll still do well in the end because that's what the show demands.

She did have several ambassadorial duties, particularly with the Yaks. One episode is honestly enough to show the audience that this is something that she is tasked with. 

• Brohoof 3

5 minutes ago, SharpWit said:

Except not much has really been done with her in that role, and she would have made most of the same choices during that time regardless of her position.

Not to mention she's had a mixed reaction from the populous, since she's been seen taken too seriously as a celebrity type and not seriously enough as a leader. There's work to be done for the poor mare.

Luckily she'll still do well in the end because that's what the show demands.

I disagree, she's:

- Spread friendship around the world of Equestria and forged several alliances with her friends.

- Proven herself to be selfless and diplomatic

- In addition to the countless times that she's saved the world from an impending apocalypse.

• Brohoof 5

The Twilynanas thing is cute...but I'm not sure why they have been over-doing it lately...

Seems to me after you get some big wins under your hoof, you'd be a tad more cool. The old Twilight (did I really just say that?) was not panicky like that. She worried, but she didn't need a paper bag every other frame.

• Brohoof 2

5 minutes ago, Jeric said:

She did have several ambassadorial duties, particularly with the Yaks. One episode is honestly enough to show the audience that this is something that she is tasked with. 

Not to mention that we still have 24 episodes before she officially becomes the new ruler. It's a season-spanning story.

Just now, Mirage said:

The Twilynanas thing is cute...but I'm not sure why they have been over-doing it lately...

Seems to me after you get some big wins under your hoof, you'd be a tad more cool. The old Twilight (did I really just say that?) was not panicky like that. She worried, but she didn't need a paper bag every other frame.

You'd be freaking out too if over the course of 1 day, you:

- Were chosen to become the ruler of an entire nation.

- Found out that your family had been kidnapped by a formerly dead enemy.

- Watched as your source of power had been destroyed.

- Saw your loved ones being hypnotized trying to kill you.

• Brohoof 4

2 minutes ago, Mirage said:

Yeah I can see that. It was a fun set up for the Map Table conversation where it was shown that the friends know her like the back of their hoof, but that should have been the end of that and just let her slowly build up to her feeling of dread that she’s out of her league. 

Just now, Califorum said:

Where can I watch the episode?

I’m putting the link up here is a sec

• Brohoof 4

The pacing was great, just because thing happen quickly doesn't make it "rushed" it flowed quite naturally.
Sombras voice is great imho, after a few lines I was fully on board with it. 
Sombra, despite being a pawn in the end, proved to be a useful and powerful villain capable of winning if it weren't for hero powers.
STARSWIRL SHOWED UP
Grogar is hella intimidating
The villains all seem at their best for entertainment value.
It was hilarious, especially Discord vs Sombra, which reminds me

DISCORD WASN'T NERFEEEED
LADY WRITERS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MEGHAN

CELESTIA AND LUNA DID SOMETHING
LADY WRITERS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MEGHAN

I LOVED this premiere, easily one of my favorite two parters in the series.

• Brohoof 4

1 minute ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Disagree. The second they inexplicably announced a quick succession plan, she almost broke down. Mentally and physically, she's still supremely tasked. Had Star Swirl, Celly, and Luna not hold the Everfree Forest off, they were done for.

So she's not even remotely ready for any additional responsibility?

4 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Yeah but those have had their hiccups and if not for Pinkie Pie, Twilight would technically be responsible for a war. There was also the moment she tried to steal that magical pearl out of desperation from what was arguably Equestria's closest ally which is depressing when they won't come to aid you, but she was under immense pressure to save Equestria and credit where credit is due, she's improved a lot and done more than anyone when it comes to diplomacy thanks to her school being all inclusive of other creatures.

8 minutes ago, TheAnimationFanatic said:

I disagree, she's:

- Spread friendship around the world of Equestria and forged several alliances with her friends.

- Proven herself to be selfless and diplomatic

- In addition to the countless times that she's saved the world from an impending apocalypse.

Maybe that passes their standards for being qualified to lead Equestria, but I don't see it as enough. 

4 minutes ago, TheAnimationFanatic said:

Not to mention that we still have 24 episodes before she officially becomes the new ruler. It's a season-spanning story.

That however is a very a good point, and I'm excited to see how it unfolds.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, RyanMahaffe said:

DISCORD WASN'T NERFEEEED
LADY WRITERS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MEGHAN

CELESTIA AND LUNA DID SOMETHING
LADY WRITERS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MEGHAN

But weren't Shining Armor and Cadence nerfed?

(edited)
1 minute ago, SharpWit said:

So she's not even remotely ready for any additional responsibility?

Yeah but those have had their hiccups and if not for Pinkie Pie, Twilight would technically be responsible for a war. There was also the moment she tried to steal that magical pearl out of desperation from what was arguably Equestria's closest ally which is depressing when they won't come to aid you, but she was under immense pressure to save Equestria and credit where credit is due, she's improved a lot and done more than anyone when it comes to diplomacy thanks to her school being all inclusive of other creatures.

Maybe that passes their standards for being qualified to lead Equestria, but I don't see it as enough. 

That however is a very a good point, and I'm excited to see how it unfolds.

What WOULD be enough, in your eyes? 

Edited by TheAnimationFanatic

Just now, MagmaFlameon said:

But weren't Shining Armor and Cadence nerfed?

No, they never stood a chance against Sombra, Cadence wasn't able to repel him because he had a sneak attack on his side.

• Brohoof 2

Just now, RyanMahaffe said:

No, they never stood a chance against Sombra, Cadence wasn't able to repel him because he had a sneak attack on his side.

Keep in mind Sombra got Shining once way back in season 3, and Cadence could only BARELY hold him back in that same ep.

• Brohoof 2

Just now, PathfinderCS said:

Keep in mind Sombra got Shining once way back in season 3, and Cadence could only BARELY hold him back in that same ep.

Eggsactly!

You know who could take Sombra 
Discord
God I love the scene with those two.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
6 minutes ago, SharpWit said:

Yeah but those have had their hiccups and if not for Pinkie Pie, Twilight would technically be responsible for a war.

That's universal for most rulers in fiction and reality. How is this any more disqualifying for Twilight?

Edited by TheAnimationFanatic

Just now, TheAnimationFanatic said:

That's universal for most rulers in fiction and reality. How is this any more disqualifying for Twilight?

Also can't REAALLLY blame Twilight for the Yaks declaring war, nopony besides Pinkie could deal with people THAT stubborn.

• Brohoof 3

1 minute ago, RyanMahaffe said:

Also can't REAALLLY blame Twilight for the Yaks declaring war, nopony besides Pinkie could deal with people THAT stubborn.

@SharpWit You're talking about a species who'd declare war if their coffee wasn't served the exact right way at the exact right time and the exact right temperature. All things considered, she did the best that anyone else could have done in that scenario.

• Brohoof 1

So finally the start of a new season has arrived. It felt great to see some new pony episodes again! This episode was a lot of fun, especially the jokes. It wasn't boring for sure. :mlp_bedeyes:

But as for the main story, I gotta agree with people who felt that the pacing was off. The whole plot just didn't have the serious feel to it, which is weird considering all the horrendous disasters Equestria went through. I just couldn't empathize with the characters.

I've given quite some thought to why this may be, and I think the main issue is that Sombra wasn't intimidating enough. The episode starts out by introducing Grogar, a villain far more stronger than he is. Grogar says that they must cooperate in order to take down Twilight and her friends, but Sombra acts arrogantly and decides to act alone. At this point already, it seems apparent that Sombra is bound to fail, at least once. Or else what's the whole point of Grogar's plan? I thought Sombra would give up and work with Grogar after losing to the elements of harmony, (which was faked, and yes, I have been fooled) but he just goes on alone. After that, he just doesn't feel threating despite how impossibly strong he seems, since he's just an 'example of failure' set up by Grogar.

The fight scenes weren't too impressive, either. Remember the war scene from 'The Cutie Re-Mark', where an epic war between Equestria and Sombra takes place? I really liked that scene and am a bit dissapointed we couldn't see more of Sombra's powers here. This episode skips most of the process through which Sombra takes power, and misses out on showing his capabilities as a villain.

Well, I know I just listed a bunch of things I was disappointed with the episode, but I'd like to note that I liked some things too. I found the episode to be really funny, and it also did a good job of hyping me up for the season finale. Let's see what Tirek, Chrysalis, Cozy, and Grogar can do! Hope a good new season 9. :BornAgainBrony:

• Brohoof 2

I personally wasn't bothered by the pacing that much. Granted, there were areas (mostly Part 1) where it felt like things were happening a bit too fast, but I think that was deliberate to lure the viewer into a false sense of ease. And considering everything that they had to establish and set-up in 44 minutes, I think they pulled it off pretty well.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, TheAnimationFanatic said:

I personally wasn't bothered by the pacing that much. Granted, there were areas (mostly Part 1) where it felt like things were happening a bit too fast, but I think that was deliberate to lure the viewer into a false sense of ease. And considering everything that they had to establish and set-up in 44 minutes, I think they pulled it off pretty well.

I think they pulled it off fantastically. I don't consider "fast" "rushed"

• Brohoof 4

34 minutes ago, RyanMahaffe said:

32 minutes ago, PathfinderCS said:

Not to mention that Sombra was a spirit at the time and stole the Heart prior. His real form's much stronger.

• Brohoof 1

I'll be honest, I loved the premier, but I'm bummed that it seems like he's permanently dead this time. I'm kinda hoping that he's brought back in some way, BUT...we'll see.

Again though; I enjoyed the season premier overall. I'll need to watch it a few more time to really let it sink in, but the majesty of Dubuc and Haber along with the Lady Writers strikes again!

• Brohoof 3

11 minutes ago, TheAnimationFanatic said:

It's less of an issue of being disqualified, and more an issue of being qualified. Hiccups are something to take note on for anyone obtaining a position of any kind.

12 minutes ago, TheAnimationFanatic said:

@SharpWit You're talking about a species who'd declare war if their coffee wasn't served the exact right way at the exact right time and the exact right temperature. All things considered, she did the best that anyone else could have done in that scenario.

Yes, which is why I said technically. It's purely due to the fact that she was in charge of their care. She did nothing wrong on her part, but if something does go wrong then the responsibility for that is automatically shifted to the authority figure in the room. Thankfully these can easilly be forgiven when the other party has been uncooperative and unruly.

29 minutes ago, TheAnimationFanatic said:

What WOULD be enough, in your eyes? 

A decade of administrative work throughout the various bodies making up the Equestrian Government where she can learn from a hooves on approach from the best of the best, gaining insight from them and providing her own in areas she deems are in need of improvement, while also being more involved in foriegn affairs and saving the day whenever needed, very very gradually stepping into the role as head of state, but's clearly that's asking too much from the show so I'll work with what I've got :laugh:

She's taken steps in the right direction, but there are many more to take, hopefully we get to see her take several with each coming episode.

6 minutes ago, PathfinderCS said:

but the majesty of Dubuc and Haber along with the Lady Writers strikes again!

I agree! I had high expectations for Lady Writers & they exceeded them! :squee:

• Brohoof 1