1. 1. Thoughts?

• “Cozy Glow you silly pony. Be evil!” - Hated it
    • “Who you calling Cheeselegs?” - Not a fan
    • “Hey is that glowing sphere low calorie?” - It was okay
    • “Who the buck is Radiant Hope?” - Enjoyed it
    • Grogar! Ahhhhhh it’s finally Grogar ahhhh! - LOVED IT

(edited)
On 4/6/2019 at 2:34 PM, qwerE said:

I've given quite some thought to why this may be, and I think the main issue is that Sombra wasn't intimidating enough. The episode starts out by introducing Grogar, a villain far more stronger than he is. Grogar says that they must cooperate in order to take down Twilight and her friends, but Sombra acts arrogantly and decides to act alone. At this point already, it seems apparent that Sombra is bound to fail, at least once. Or else what's the whole point of Grogar's plan? I thought Sombra would give up and work with Grogar after losing to the elements of harmony, (which was faked, and yes, I have been fooled) but he just goes on alone. After that, he just doesn't feel threating despite how impossibly strong he seems, since he's just an 'example of failure' set up by Grogar.

In S3, S5, and even IDW -- he came across as genre-savvier and more serious.

Edited by Anti-Villain
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

It’s sad to see the elements go but I’m glad they didn’t find a convenient spell to bring them back. This raises the stakes because they can’t use them as a crutch anymore.

Edited by Twilight Luna
  • Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, MagmaFlameon said:

I wonder if Cadence will get better treatment as the season goes on. I read from the Recap on TV tropes that Shining will get an episode alongside Twilight. 

The two hundredth episode in fact

Well dang, didn't expect King Sombra to get what he got.  Pitty.  Either way, it was a fun 2-parter.  Can't wait to see what's going to happen next.  Discord was also fun in this two-parter.  I really love how he really believes in the Main 6 :)

Then, you got the goat guy... wouldn't know if he's from an old MLP series/movie. But does make me wonder if it's shown that 'bell' he's looking for at some point in the series.  Should be interesting.  And of course, the princess's are waiting to make Twilight the ruler... a bit of a disappointment as I think it would have been fun to see a season of Twilight's reign before the series ends but based on this, yeah you can bet she won't become ruler until the final parter.  Disappointing but *shrug* it happens.

How 'bout applauding the Lady Writers and crew for how genius Discord's written here? :D He's unbelievably hilarious here, and his acting while being "hurt" is really convincing. How William Anderson built up the score alongside Discord's exasperation at the end sells the timing. :laugh:

This episode also not just fixes TCE in a way, but calls back Princess Twi, too.

1. In TCE, Celestia and Luna are supposed to be Twi's guides and mentors, but they leave responsibilities up to Twilight to fend off Sombra. Here, Celly and Luna test Twi's strengths by preparing for the coronation abruptly, but at the time, there was no threat. When Sombra returned, they had no idea and weren't warned by Twi. Star Swirl contacted them to get involved. Additionally, Discord's amoral; it makes perfect sense for him to test the RM6 and idle by.
  2. In PTS, Discord wasn't on good terms with anyone besides FS. When he revealed to accidentally planting the seeds, no one trusted him. Now their relationship's much stronger, so they trust him more.
  • Brohoof 5

Just now, Dark Qiviut said:

How 'bout applauding the Lady Writers and crew for how genius Discord's written here? :D He's unbelievably hilarious here, and his acting while being "hurt" is really convincing. How William Anderson built up the score alongside Discord's exasperation at the end sells the timing. :laugh:

This episode also not just fixes TCE in a way, but calls back Princess Twi, too.

1. In TCE, Celestia and Luna are supposed to be Twi's guides and mentors, but they leave responsibilities up to Twilight to fend off Sombra. Here, Celly and Luna test Twi's strengths by preparing for the coronation abruptly, but at the time, there was no threat. When Sombra returned, they had no idea and weren't warned by Twi. Star Swirl contacted them to get involved. Additionally, Discord's amoral; it makes perfect sense for him to test the RM6 and idle by.
  2. In PTS, Discord wasn't on good terms with anyone besides FS. When he revealed to accidentally planting the seeds, no one trusted him. Now their relationship's much stronger, so they trust him more.

Lady Writers should just write everything ever for MLP
They just understand every single thing that makes this show great.

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Dark Qiviut said:

This is honestly the best that Discord has been written and utilized for a long time. He was funny, badass, and even got a semi-emotional moment at the end. :laugh:

• Brohoof 2

Just now, TheAnimationFanatic said:

This is honestly the best that Discord has been written and utilized for a long time. He was funny, badass, and even got a semi-emotional moment at the end. :laugh:

Kinda difficult to top his amazing performance from Break Down, but like Confalone then, Songco and Lewis help really show what makes him so spectacular and funny. XD

• Brohoof 4

30 minutes ago, PathfinderCS said:

I'll be honest, I loved the premier, but I'm bummed that it seems like he's permanently dead this time. I'm kinda hoping that he's brought back in some way, BUT...we'll see.

Again though; I enjoyed the season premier overall. I'll need to watch it a few more time to really let it sink in, but the majesty of Dubuc and Haber along with the Lady Writers strikes again!

I keep thinking about it, and I think they had to remove him and leave us the trio based on where they are taking this season. Out of the 4 that Grogar called to join forces, Sombra is probably the one who is least redeemable with the lack of a stronger motivation for him on screen. And yes, the three baddies are absolutely getting redeemed. Tonally they were presented as less threatening this episode and I think there is a reason for that. 

They gonna git gud 

• Brohoof 2

Just now, The Nth Doctor said:

My expectations were low and the opening has done nothing to raise them.

Let's see what you bring to the table, S9

Surely you can't be worse than the previous 4 seasons?

You didn't like the past 4 seasons

Yes, clearly it is all the show fault and not just you being tired of it.

I couldn't care less for the mane 6's stupid bantering. But what I am crazy about is Grogar, and hearing Sombra speak and all the villains interacting! It's so interesting to see them all together and I love them all! Grogar's horns and his look is unexpected though, it is quite great. Sombra's voice is quite nice, though I expected it to be quite deeper and darker. I love it when he is turning ponyville into his slaves and when he gets to canterlot with his army of new slaves he turns to one of them like "You break the door down now!", it's so hilarious. Discord getting struck down was kinda sad though, even though it was a bit of a ruse.

I feel bad for what happened to Sombra, I don't know what happened to him, though it was nice to see the 4 villains at the end. 10/10!

• Brohoof 2

I know Cadence and Shining obviously weren't expecting King Sombra to attack but it would've been great to see her put up more of a fight. She's always been the most proactive of the Princesses after Twilight, and you'd think her magic would be the natural counter to Sombra's as such I wish she got the chance to play a part in his defeat like the first time round.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, RulesofRarity said:

I know Cadence and Shining obviously weren't expecting King Sombra to attack but it would've been great to see her put up more of a fight. She's always been the most proactive of the Princesses after Twilight, and you'd think her magic would be the natural counter to Sombra's as such I wish she got the chance to play a part in his defeat like the first time round.

Unfortunately assaulting the man holding your baby isn't that smart of an idea.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, RulesofRarity said:

To be honest, I hope they save that moment for Chrysalis. Since she's been the most personal threat to her, Shining, and Twilight.

(edited)

S09:E01+E02 - The Beginning of the End Spoilers

Spoiler

So, if Twilight had taken over for Celestia and Luna she would have had to leave Ponyville? 

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 1

Just now, RyanMahaffe said:

Unfortunately assaulting the man holding your baby isn't that smart of an idea.

She thought it was. She was about to vaporize his ass before Shining stopped her.

Just now, TheAnimationFanatic said:

To be honest, I hope they save that moment for Chrysalis. Since she's been the most personal threat to her, Shining, and Twilight.

I have a feeling that will be taken by Starlight to be honest.

• Brohoof 2

4 minutes ago, RyanMahaffe said:

You didn't like the past 4 seasons

Yes, clearly it is all the show fault and not just you being tired of it.

I'm tired of the flanderization and character assassination, yes.

Making the Main 6 teachers on top of their previous responsibilities was one thing. Now they're rulers of an entire nation?

i'm here for the flaming train wreck that'll bring, and the 5-6 good episodes this season will give us. :squee:

To a lesser extent, possible fanfic fuel.

• Brohoof 1

I will dub Grogar “Goat Carlin” after the late George Carlin. He sounded a little like his grumpy routine. 

• Brohoof 3

10 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

S09:E01+E02 - The Beginning of the End Spoilers

Reveal hidden contents

So, if Twilight had taken over for Celestia and Luna she would have had to leave Ponyville? 

Yep. That’s why she put Starlight in charge of her castle and school.

• Brohoof 2