Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you NOT consider yourself a brony? Why?

Khoufu

After seeing a discussion on a MLP collector forum, I am curious. Do you like MLP but not consider yourself a brony? Why not?

Personally, I consider myself a casual brony because I watch the show and some youtube videos, and have some G4 merch. But, first and foremost I'm a vintage toy collector with a preference for vintage MLP toys. Many in the (vintage) collector community don't consider themselves a brony at all.

Doesn't brony/pegasister means a person who likes mlp? So how could a person not consider themselves as one if  they like mlp?

Edited by TBD

Just now, TBD said:

Doesn't brony/pegasister means a person who likes mlp? So how could a person not consider themselves as one if  they like mlp?

I don't know, but someone was implying that you had to actively obsess over it.

Just now, Khoufu said:

Whoever give you that idea, that sounds more like a stereotype to me but okay. 

Well to answer you question, I would considered myself as one because I like mlp and collect their merchandise but at the same time not overly obsessed with it. 

In truth... it's hard to say. On one hand, I very much enjoy the culture surrounding MLP; the various merchandise, artwork, and various other activities are very intriguing to me, especially due to the demographic subversion. On the other hand... it has been quite a while since I last bothered to watch MLP; I haven't even finished Season One yet. All circumstances considered, I suppose I do fit the general mold of a "brony," but one would be hard-pressed to classify me as a hardcore fan. As a whole, however, I generally dislike the term "brony," due to various stigmas attached to it, and how... segregational it is.

1 hour ago, Gestum said:

I don't really see myself as a brony. Mostly because I don't see the point of having your identity revolve around a half decent kids cartoon. 

Well if you think it's only half-decent, then you definitely wouldn't see the point of having your identity revolve around it. But I realized something a long time ago about fandoms and how I generally relate to people. It's not about what shows you watch, it's about what you get out of the shows you watch.

More generally, especially with G1... there are a lot of people who still collect ponies but don't care about the show (and in some cases never cared about the show).

I pretty much just like the show, some artwork and have a couple MLP items. I guess I could be called a moderate brony at best, but I usually consider myself a fan.

• Brohoof 1

These responses intrigue me. Especially the opinions of 2 forum staff. I also didn't know if pegasister was still a popular term. I never liked the term but that's cuz it felt like you weren't 'special' for liking it, and bro is almost gender neutral in my area.

Nope. I'm a brony because I'm a fan of FIM. "FIM fan" and "brony" are one of the same.

2 hours ago, Khoufu said:

Whoever's doing that is using a very awful geek stereotype to stigmatize the word and the people who enjoy the product.

• Brohoof 1

Well yes and no I watch the show and used to collect the merchandise. But I don’t really like the word Brony I think I’d consider myself more of a fan.

I see myself as a casual fan as opposed to being a 'brony' because I'm not as obsessed with MLP as other fans would be. I mean, I do like watching FiM and EQG, but I won't go out of my way to collect every last piece of merchandise and preach about MLP to everyone around me.

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, Ganondorf8 said:

I see myself as a casual fan as opposed to being a 'brony' because I'm not as obsessed with MLP as other fans would be. I mean, I do like watching FiM and EQG, but I won't go out of my way to collect every last piece of merchandise and preach about MLP to everyone around me.

Fair enough; I am a fan - I have box sets of the episodes, movies, and EqG stuff; I have a tiny fluttershy on my bedside, but not plushies or similar (or any other character) and my amazon ebook account has a significant number of kindle-formatted pony books.  Not sure at what point you move from being a fan to being a brony (or a whoovian, or a treker, for that matter) but whatever level of obscession that would imply, I don't do.

Trying to get my Special Somepony more interested in the show, but while she isn't opposed (and now has a full set of mane 6 plushies) she has yet to clear S1, so....

I watch the ponies, I draw the ponies, I like the ponies, I listen to the musics, I watch the fan animations and reviews, I joined the forums, and I read the fanfics. But I don't have any pony merchandise.

I'm an introvert/a closet brony I guess.

• Brohoof 1

11 hours ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

As well as a pegasister, I also consider myself a Whovian!  (A fan of Doctor Who!)

Heh, you know for a little while, I thought "Whovian" referred to something created by the "Whos" (of Dr. Seuss fame)

• Brohoof 1

It's like I listen to lots of heavy metal and I don't call myself a metalhead. 

It is a term somewhat too specific and slightly narrow. And just because MLP isn't targeted for adult male, labeling every men just watching or liking the show a brony isn't appropriate. I also got more pilgrimage and rite of passage to make for being entitled a brony.

Just now, Sepul-Coloratura said:

It's like I listen to lots of heavy metal and I don't call myself a metalhead. 

It is a term somewhat too specific and slightly narrow. And just because MLP isn't targeted for adult male, labeling every men just watching or liking the show a brony isn't appropriate. I also got more pilgrimage and rite of passage to make for being entitled a brony.

I don't even feel like I picked becoming a Brony. It almost feels like it picked me with how weirdly it all happened.

P.S. I saw your username a few times before and I just need to point out: "I see what you did there."