Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Nicole Dubuc To Receive WGA West Animation Writing Award

Dark Qiviut

Prolific animation writer-producer Nicole Dubuc will receive the WGA West’s 2018 Animation Writers Caucus Animation Writing Award tonight at the annual AWC awards ceremony at the guild’s headquarters in Los Angeles.

Dubuc, who’s been nominated for seven daytime Emmys for writing and producing children’s animation shows, currently serves as the showrunner of the upcoming Disney Junior series The Rocketeer.

The award is presented to caucus members who have advanced the literature of animation in film and television throughout the years and made outstanding contributions to the profession of the animation writer.

“Nicole Dubuc has accomplished more in her time as an animation writer than most of us do in careers that are twice as long,” said WGA West president David A. Goodman. “She has crossed genres, busted barriers, and broken through ceilings not only as a writer, but also as a showrunner, an actress, and a labor leader. If there’s an aspect of animation production Nicole hasn’t mastered, it’s only because she hasn’t invented it yet.”

Said AWC chair Craig Miller: “Nicole Dubuc richly deserves this award. She’s not only an extremely talented writer and showrunner but has extensively given her time and energy to work for the betterment of all animation writers. Plus she’s one of the best people I know.”

Dubuc’s  animation feature writing credits include Postman Pat, Mike Da Mustang — which she wrote and directed — and several direct-to-video features  including Tigger & Pooh & A Musical Too, My Friends Tigger & Pooh: The Hundred Acre Wood Haunt, My Friends Tigger & Pooh’s Friendly Tales, My Friends Tigger & Pooh: Super Sleuth Christmas Movie and Polly Pocket: PollyWorld.

Her many animation series writing credits include Hasbro’s My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, Star Wars: Rebels, Star Wars: Forces of Destiny, Lego Elves, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Transformers: Robots in Disguise, Marvel Superhero Squad, Transformers: Prime, Jake and the Neverland Pirates, Ben 10: Alien Force, Care Bears: Adventures in Care-A-Lot Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and many more.

In addition to honoring Dubuc at tonight’s ceremony, the caucus will present a memorial tribute to animation writer and AWC member Dean Stefan, who died in May at 65.

“Dean Stefan was a mentor and a friend,” Dubuc said. “He had a keen instinct for what made a story work, a wickedly irreverent sense of humor, and a generous spirit. He always made time for writers trying to break in, offering his advice or reading scripts. I miss him every day.”

Link!

Dubuc's credentials have no bounds, and her award is more than earned. Congratulations! :D

• Brohoof 4

She deserved that just for that one amazing episode of Rebels where she nails Grand Admiral Thrawn, a very very hard thing to do. Her touch on Pony has been absolutely appreciated. It also helps that she is an unabashed fan of many geek properties I love. :P

• Brohoof 3

Well deserved! She's a fantastic writer.

11 hours ago, VG_Addict said:

Dubuc had quite a resume even before she worked on MLP. 

If she's the showrunner for Rocketeer, does this mean she's not returning for S9?

When asked what her favorite episode that she wrote, Dubuc said that it hasn't haired yet? Implying that she's either working double time or she wrote one more episode for S9 before leaving to work on The Rocketeer.

Congratulations!

15 hours ago, Jeric said:

She deserved that just for that one amazing episode of Rebels where she nails Grand Admiral Thrawn, a very very hard thing to do. Her touch on Pony has been absolutely appreciated. It also helps that she is an unabashed fan of many geek properties I love. :P

I remember those episodes. (His scene with Hera still gives me chills) She wrote almost every major episode with Thrawn in it during season 3. She really nailed his character. One thing I like about her writing is that she has a preference to push the antagonists a bit further in the conflict with the good guys. I remember one episode where Thrawn killed a factory worker by forcing him to ride a speeder the worker himself had assembled and sabotaged.

In Ninja Turtles 2012 it was the same with Karai, and in MLP with Discord.

Edited by JH24
  • Brohoof 2