Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My evolving opinion on "Newbie Dash"

TheAnimationFanatic

Of all of the episodes of Friendship is Magic, the one I have the most conflicted feelings about is Newbie Dash.

I saw it when it first premiered and I did not like it at all. In fact, I thought of it as the worst episode of Season 6, the worst Rainbow Dash centric episode, and considered it one of the worst episodes of the show. Then, Top Bolt and Parental Glideance endeared me to the Wonderbolts more and made me realize that Newbie Dash was not the end of the Wonderbolts storyline, but rather, the beginning of a new chapter in the arc, softening my dislike for it. Finally, when I saw The Washouts, and I saw the portrayal of RD in it, it put everything in perspective for me. 

In the end, I still personally don't like Newbie Dash. I find it too fundamentally flawed in its execution to call it good, and its message was not conveyed effectively. However, I now understand the message that it tried to convey and I appreciate it for how it furthered Rainbow Dash's character development. It may have been cruel, but it was necessary for Rainbow Dash to experience, and I think she came out as a better, stronger character for it.

I expect a few people to disagree, but I'm curious to hear your take.

Edited by Theanimationfanatic
  • Brohoof 3

I always saw what Newbie Dash was trying to say as, "Rainbow Dash's story arc is not over, life is not so easy to hand you everything just because you finally achieved your lifelong dream.". Like Flutter Brutter, I feel the reason why it's so hated is because of the dark message that displays a very harsh and real aspect of life. I'm fine with people not liking either of those episodes, I just feel they've always needed time to sink in for a lot of people, and I'm glad there are people like you who are willing to open their minds up to new opinions. :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
5 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

I always saw what Newbie Dash was trying to say as, "Rainbow Dash's story arc is not over, life is not so easy to hand you everything just because you finally achieved your lifelong dream.". Like Flutter Brutter, I feel the reason why it's so hated is because of the dark message that displays a very harsh and real aspect of life. I'm fine with people not liking either of those episodes, I just feel they've always needed time to sink in for a lot of people, and I'm glad there are people like you who are willing to open their minds up to new opinions. :fluttershy:

I liked "Flutter Brutter". But yes, I can agree on "Newbie Dash" being an episode that needs to sink in.

I think most of the backlash that Newbie Dash got was because we thought that it was the end of the Wonderbolts storyline, and that they're wouldn't be anymore episodes devoted to it. Thus many of us were unsatisfied because the end result didn't meet our expectations and wasn't the ideal, Disney-esque storybook ending for Rainbow Dash's character we wanted.

• Brohoof 2

You make a very good point. Yeah, Newbie Dash does feel like a part of a wider arc and also being vital to Rainbow Dash's character development. 

I always was surprised why so many people hated Newbie Dash. I understand why but I couldn't tell if it was because of the Wonderbolt storyline or about Rainbow Dash's portrayal and/or humiliation? 

For me personally Newbie Dash always was one of my favorite episodes of the series. Especially because it gave another important insight into RD's character and motivations.

A few years ago I once posted this about the episode: 

Rainbow Dash had to endure a lot but I never felt the writer was mean-spirited toward RD. I appreciate the episode for what it tried to do. Rainbow Dash became too cocky and completely obsessed with her nickname so I could understand the lesson she had to learn in the end, even if it was painful. I can't see it as humiliating, but more like Rainbow Dash maturing and growing as a character. 

It would have been humiliating if there was no lesson at all. But Rainbow showed humility, she realized what she had done, she felt genuinely sorry and would accept the consequences no matter what they were. It may sound odd but RD admitting she was wrong was a powerful moment for me personally. It showed that there are times you need to speak if there's something you don't like, that sometimes standing out from the rest isn't always a good thing if teamwork is required, and that you shouldn't be acting like someone you're not. Spitfire in particular saw right through that.

But what really sold it for me was the ending scene. Rainbow Dash finally being at peace and happy while cleaning up the mess from the event. This short scene is still one of my favorite moments in the show. 

The Wonderbolts aren't blameless, but they have a kind of "military" command structure, and this is their way of "doing things."

Edited by JH24
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
2 hours ago, JH24 said:

You make a very good point. Yeah, Newbie Dash does feel like a part of a wider arc and also being vital to Rainbow Dash's character development. 

I always was surprised why so many people hated Newbie Dash. I entirely understand but I never knew if it was because of the Wonderbolt storyline or about Rainbow Dash's portrayal or humiliation? 

For me personally Newbie Dash always one of my favorite episodes of the series. Especially because it gave another important insight into RD's character and motivations.

A few years ago I once posted this about the episode. 

Parental Glideance is my second favorite Rainbow Dash episode, in part because of how it provided insight into Rainbow Dash's character and explained why she is as egocentric and prideful as she is.

• Brohoof 2

"Newbie Dash" is a weird one for me, mainly because I somehow have a strange liking (albeit a mild one) for the episode despite clear awareness of its flaws, including its awkwardly conveyed moral, which I suspect failed due to the episode's inability to place its implications into more specific contexts (I can actually kind of understand the moral's application to a military/showcase squadron such as the Wonderbolts, and as CMD noted above, the moral's clunky execution is lessened by its surprisingly dark focus). Even the underwhelming atmosphere of the episode, although they could have attempted a little more to add a few sporadic triumphant moments, fits the episode's main themes to some extent. In the end, I'm about as confused on my opinions as you are on your own - it's a heavily troubled episode structurally, yet in some ways I actually appreciate the episode's attempts to create a deliberate disappointing aesthetic and utilize it to push Dashie's character (whose past achievements have frequently been showcased within the more grandiose air of "Sonic Rainboom" or "Wonderbolts Academy") forward. It's the definition of ambivalence from my perspective.

I also happen to consider "Parental Glideance" to be overrated (largely because I felt that the episode overemphasized the irritation of Dashie's parents (in addition to the frustrating oversaturation of Scootaloo screaming in the first act)) despite its story harbouring a fair amount of solidity and insight to the extent of easily exceeding such levels displayed in "Newbie Dash". Opinions definitely are a strange and inexplicable entity sometimes.

Edited by Them's Seeing Ponies
  • Brohoof 3

1 hour ago, Theanimationfanatic said:

Parental Glideance is my second favorite Rainbow Dash episode, in part because of how it provided insight into Rainbow Dash's character and explained why she is as egocentric and prideful as she is.

Totally. This episode gave us another insight to the character of Rainbow Dash. I love how over the course of the seasons we can really see RD grow and develop as a character. Personally I feel that out of the Mane 6, RD is the character with the most depth.

After that episode I finally understood where Rainbow Dash's cheering skills were coming from. (Like when she cheered Scootaloo on in "The cart before the ponies.")

In an older post from a year ago I made a guess that (at least part of) her competitive nature stemmed from the fact she may have felt undeserving to be cheered on even when she didn't win, motivating her to try harder and at least be deserving of her parent's support, even if it may have been embarassing.

It's interesting how RD drew the line with the Wonderbolts. We already knew from "Newbie Dash" she cares a lot about what the Wonderbolts think of her, and she was more worried than ever about the consequences.

What I also liked was to see the Wonderbolts with some friendly teasing and jokes, and being supportive and helping her in the end. It showed Rainbow really is part of the team now.

Edited by JH24
  • Brohoof 3

18 minutes ago, JH24 said:

Totally. This episode gave us another insight to the character of Rainbow Dash. I love how over the course of the seasons we can really see RD grow and develop as a character. Personally I feel that out of the Mane 6, RD is the character with the most depth.

After that episode I finally understood where Rainbow Dash's cheering skills were coming from. (Like when she cheered Scootaloo on in "The cart before the ponies.")

In an older post from a year ago I made a guess that (at least part of) her competitive nature stemmed from the fact she may have felt undeserving to be cheered on even when she didn't win, motivating her to try harder and at least be deserving of her parent's support, even if it may have been embarassing.

It's interesting how RD drew the line with the Wonderbolts. We already knew from "Newbie Dash" she cares a lot about what the Wonderbolts think of her, and she was more worried than ever about the consequences.

What I also liked was to see the Wonderbolts with some friendly teasing and jokes, and being supportive and helping her in the end. It showed Rainbow really is part of the team now.

Every post-Newbie Dash Wonderbolts pinpoints Rainbow Dash's growth:

• Top Bolt: Presumably some time after her probation at the end of "Newbie Dash", she's learned how to curb her ego, be more disciplined, and now is on better  terms with her fellow pilots.  
  • Parental Glideance: I think the cringe humor works much better here than in Newbie Dash, partially since the Wonderbolts are still poking fun of RD, but in a much more playful friendly way. Spitfire and Co. helping RD make up with folks again signifies her growth.
  • The Washouts: While the Wonderbolts aren't in this episode as much, I'm including it for a specific reason. Throughout the episode, we see Rainbow Dash fretting over Scootaloo's safety and tells her about how dangerous the Washouts' routine is. However, it actually makes perfect sense for RD to be telling Scoots about safety since her life before becoming a Wonderbolt had been defined by disregarding the rules and throwing safety to the wind, and she knows from experience, the consequences of that lifestyle.
  • Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

I agree that both Newbie Dash and Flutter Brutter gets some unnecessary hatred because it reflects a very important life lesson that just needs time to sink in. Because of Flutter Brutter's new character, song, and relatable moral, I become a better person for it.

And I never hated Newbie Dash. My only complaint was that Rainbow should have flat-out told the Bolts that she doesn't like them calling her Rainbow Crash and the Bolts would have explained that they gave everyone embarrassing nicknames. Would have save some trouble.

• Brohoof 4

It's not an episode I want to rewatch regularly, because the thing with Scootaloo is a bit too far for my tastes, and the entire impressions scene is no fun whatsoever. I can also see why people might latch onto the name-calling thing; I think the episode makes a point about contrasting that name-calling with bullying, but the episode never really suggests the Wonderbolts would stop calling Rainbow that if she asked. And part of me is still disappointed that she didn't get the chance to show off the best parts of her personality, though that was mostly because I felt she was too passive in season 5. 

All of that is secondary to what I think is a brilliant premise, which I think the show pulls off more sensitively than people give it credit for. Giving her the same nickname with the 'Bolts as with her former bullies establishes continuity, and makes me think about how the meaning of that nickname has changed. It used to be just something jerks used to belittle her, but now it's a symbol that she's proven them wrong. She has a nickname because she's a freaking Wonderbolt, and accepting that nickname is a reminder of how far she's come.

Rainbow Dash behaves the way she does in this episode because she feels insecure, and I've always felt the character's most relatable quality is how she overcompensates. She doesn't believe her own hype, but she desperately wants others to. This episode takes that to unwatchable extremes, sure, but it doesn't forget what makes that dichotomy so interesting. This episode doesn't mock her, it pities her. It sympathizes with her insecurity and anxiety, and links every outburst to that relatable motivation. I've never understood why people think this episode is mean-spirited. 

"So why are you in such a good mood?"

"Duh! Because I'm a Wonderbolt!"

I love the ideas in this episode so much that I'm really sad it's not better. 

Edited by AlexanderThrond
  • Brohoof 1

10 hours ago, Theanimationfanatic said:

@Dark Qiviut Care to add your thoughts?

Ooooh, boy. Only a few episodes I hate these days. This piece of trash remains one of them.

1. Spikeabuse. Basically disappeared following PS, reared its ugly head once again. It wasn't funny then, and it isn't funny now.

2. The Wonderbolts are, once more, shown in a really negative light. When Dash carelessly crashes in a trash can, they call her "Rainbow Crash." Every time they call her that nickname, the atmosphere around her worsens. Dash's own performance during practice hurts once Spitfire uses it. The Wonderbolt culture favors the vets over the newbies and doesn't do anything to ease the newbies in at all. The incompetence-laden nicknames and not properly explaining them at any point until the very end adds to this toxic culture.

3. The humor sucks, especially the impersonations. It's like it tried to implement what Griffonstone tried to do, but fails at an epic level. Why? In Griffonstone, Dash imitated Twilight in response to being annoyed at how needy she can be. Here, she impersonates her friends because she accepted atrocious advice from her friends and tried to preserve her own confidence. But by being cringe comedy, rather than trying to sympathize with her, we're supposed to laugh at her. Cringe comedy can have a mean-spirited edge unless you're really careful (Molt Down executes this balance brilliantly); ND crossed that line massively.

4. This is yet another episode of DHX beating down Dash's ego to teach her a lesson and is by far the worst episode to do it. Crashing into the trash can was supposed to be a wake-up call to her about her ego getting too caught up. From that point on, Dash tries to get through it by not telling her superiors. And here's the key difference between this and others like WA and RF. In WA and RF, she stood up to the Wonderbolts on the behalf of her friends and Soarin', respectively. Here, she'd have to speak up for herself, and when you're doing this as a new recruit to long-time vets, it can come across as being entitled and weak and thus possibly get ostracized. That's why she tried to stomach it.

But as she tries to fit in and suck it up, the episode bullies her. Despite trying to ignore it, the episode piles it on, makes sure she's bothered by it, and makes her feel even worse even when the nickname hurts her. Isn't it no longer surprising when Dash tries to place too many echidna eggs in one basket, force Scoot to help her out, and change the stunt to try to impress the others? The climax shoots her down to the nth degree in one of the most unsettling climaxes of the series. Combine the mean-spirited tone with the conflict and the fact that being a Wonderbolt's her lifelong dream, this was her lowest moment.

5. But the moral seals it as a bottom-five atrocity. Hazing is a worldwide problem in many fraternities, especially so in the U.S. and Canada, and they range from being taped to the football goalpost to being dressed to the opposite sex for "humor" (a practice that MLB banned last year) to drinking to sodomization/rape. The U.S. military in particular is notorious for hazing. People have been injured, maimed, raped, and/or killed from hazing. The moral, and how it's addressed, implicates that as long as it's in good fun, tough it out and deal with it.

TIMEOUT! Firstly, Dash wasn't in on the culture, and by being a newbie, the onus is purely on the vets for getting her in the know well beforehand. Spitfire watched her screw up after calling her "Crash"; a more observant leader should've seen some connection and work to correct it. Secondly, just because the name calling's "in good fun" doesn't mean it applies universally. Not everyone finds it fun or endearing. Parts of fraternity culture may repulse them to the point of requesting them to not involve them. Thirdly, the military may use its own culture and tactics to "toughen you up," but this is Equestria, and this show's primary goal's to teach children lessons of friendship. Sometimes creative liberties need to be applied to teach the lesson better. I don't give a damn if it's true to military culture; I care if they execute the story without sacrificing the dignity of the lore, characters, and lessons.

Did she change for the better afterwards? Yes! But I don't care. I'm judging this episode on its own merits. This is what MMC (another status quo changer) would be had it actually sucked. Initially, I had this as the bottom end of the three worst episodes. Over time, my feelings for it worsened; had DHX not fuck up One Bad Apple so royally, this would be the worst of the series.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Ooooh, boy. Only a few episodes I hate these days. This piece of trash remains one of them.

1. Spikeabuse. Basically disappeared following PS, reared its ugly head once again. It wasn't funny then, and it isn't funny now.

2. The Wonderbolts are, once more, shown in a really negative light. When Dash carelessly crashes in a trash can, they call her "Rainbow Crash." Every time they call her that nickname, the atmosphere around her worsens. Dash's own performance during practice hurts once Spitfire uses it. The Wonderbolt culture favors the vets over the newbies and doesn't do anything to ease the newbies in at all. The incompetence-laden nicknames and not properly explaining them at any point until the very end adds to this toxic culture.

3. The humor sucks, especially the impersonations. It's like it tried to implement what Griffonstone tried to do, but fails at an epic level. Why? In Griffonstone, Dash imitated Twilight in response to being annoyed at how needy she can be. Here, she impersonates her friends because she accepted atrocious advice from her friends and tried to preserve her own confidence. But by being cringe comedy, rather than trying to sympathize with her, we're supposed to laugh at her. Cringe comedy can have a mean-spirited edge unless you're really careful (Molt Down executes this balance brilliantly); ND crossed that line massively.

4. This is yet another episode of DHX beating down Dash's ego to teach her a lesson and is by far the worst episode to do it. Crashing into the trash can was supposed to be a wake-up call to her about her ego getting too caught up. From that point on, Dash tries to get through it by not telling her superiors. And here's the key difference between this and others like WA and RF. In WA and RF, she stood up to the Wonderbolts on the behalf of her friends and Soarin', respectively. Here, she'd have to speak up for herself, and when you're doing this as a new recruit to long-time vets, it can come across as being entitled and weak and thus possibly get ostracized. That's why she tried to stomach it.

But as she tries to fit in and suck it up, the episode bullies her. Despite trying to ignore it, the episode piles it on, makes sure she's bothered by it, and makes her feel even worse even when the nickname hurts her. Isn't it no longer surprising when Dash tries to place too many echidna eggs in one basket, force Scoot to help her out, and change the stunt to try to impress the others? The climax shoots her down to the nth degree in one of the most unsettling climaxes of the series. Combine the mean-spirited tone with the conflict and the fact that being a Wonderbolt's her lifelong dream, this was her lowest moment.

5. But the moral seals it as a bottom-five atrocity. Hazing is a worldwide problem in many fraternities, especially so in the U.S. and Canada, and they range from being taped to the football goalpost to being dressed to the opposite sex for "humor" (a practice that MLB banned last year) to drinking to sodomization/rape. The U.S. military in particular is notorious for hazing. People have been injured, maimed, raped, and/or killed from hazing. The moral, and how it's addressed, implicates that as long as it's in good fun, tough it out and deal with it.

TIMEOUT! Firstly, Dash wasn't in on the culture, and by being a newbie, the onus is purely on the vets for getting her in the know well beforehand. Spitfire watched her screw up after calling her "Crash"; a more observant leader should've seen some connection and work to correct it. Secondly, just because the name calling's "in good fun" doesn't mean it applies universally. Not everyone finds it fun or endearing. Parts of fraternity culture may repulse them to the point of requesting them to not involve them. Thirdly, the military may use its own culture and tactics to "toughen you up," but this is Equestria, and this show's primary goal's to teach children lessons of friendship. Sometimes creative liberties need to be applied to teach the lesson better. I don't give a damn if it's true to military culture; I care if they execute the story without sacrificing the dignity of the lore, characters, and lessons.

Did she change for the better afterwards? Yes! But I don't care. I'm judging this episode on its own merits. This is what MMC (another status quo changer) would be had it actually sucked. Initially, I had this as the bottom end of the three worst episodes. Over time, my feelings for it worsened; had DHX not fuck up One Bad Apple so royally, this would be the worst of the series.

In a way, I feel the same way about the episode not being good and the moral being botched.

I've never understood why "Newbie Dash" gets utterly dragged through the mud(rightfully) but "Parental Glideance" seems to get a pass for seemingly no reason. The episode featured Scootaloo effectively guilt tripping Rainbow Dash into becoming okay with her parent's obnoxious behavior, even though Rainbow was completely justified in getting angry at them. 

As for "Newbie Dash", the episode stinks. Rainbow Dash is better than all of these WonderFlops combined she shouldn't have to prove anything to those shits.

• Brohoof 2

10 hours ago, RulesofRarity said:

I've never understood why "Newbie Dash" gets utterly dragged through the mud(rightfully) but "Parental Glideance" seems to get a pass for seemingly no reason. The episode featured Scootaloo effectively guilt tripping Rainbow Dash into becoming okay with her parent's obnoxious behavior, even though Rainbow was completely justified in getting angry at them. 

As for "Newbie Dash", the episode stinks. Rainbow Dash is better than all of these WonderFlops combined she shouldn't have to prove anything to those shits.

For me, Parental Glideance  did a much better job with the cringe humor and had a lot more heart. It probably also helps that the Wonderbolts are much more likable.

• Brohoof 2

13 minutes ago, Theanimationfanatic said:

For me, Parental Glideance  did a much better job with the cringe humor and had a lot more heart. It probably also helps that the Wonderbolts are much more likable.

This, along with a better moral. Dash doesn't like being around her parents in public because their boisterous devotion for her embarrasses her. Scootaloo, since her parents aren't around as much, envies to be in Dash's position and wished she had a smidgen of the love and devotion they give her. Scoot's 100% right; Dash is lucky to have parents like them, and she took it for granted.

• Brohoof 3

3 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

This, along with a better moral. Dash doesn't like being around her parents in public because their boisterous devotion for her embarrasses her. Scootaloo, since her parents aren't around as much, envies to be in Dash's position and wished she had a smidgen of the love and devotion they give her. Scoot's 100% right; Dash is lucky to have parents like them, and she took it for granted.

It was my favorite episode of Season 7, until it was bumped to #3 by A Royal Problem (Please don't kill me, @Dark Qiviut) and The Perfect Pear.

It's one of my all time favorite episodes.

• Brohoof 1

20 hours ago, RulesofRarity said:

I mean, I'd say both are on equal ground regarding not communicating their morals very well, but mostly it's just that "Parental Glideance" is funnier and communicates its moral a bit more clearly. Though for me that makes the fumbling of the moral much more frustrating, because it does everything else so well; "Newbie Dash," for better and for worse, sticks to a specific vision, whereas "Parental Glideance" just seems to change its main theme halfway through. 

I've more or less come to understand what's wrong with the former, but you're gonna have a real hard time convincing me that Rainbow didn't have a point in the latter. 

Edited by AlexanderThrond
  • Brohoof 1

On 10/18/2018 at 1:57 PM, CloudMistDragon said:

I always saw what Newbie Dash was trying to say as, "Rainbow Dash's story arc is not over, life is not so easy to hand you everything just because you finally achieved your lifelong dream."

This fits right in line with the Princess Twilight discussion that just happened in another thread. This show does something that I've not seen done very often. Becoming a master of your craft, or a Princess, or whatever, isn't the end of the story. It's just the beginning of a new chapter. No "Happily Ever After." The challenges and struggles continue, but you'll be able to do more than you ever thought possible.

On 10/18/2018 at 2:46 PM, JH24 said:

I always was surprised why so many people hated Newbie Dash. I understand why but I couldn't tell if it was because of the Wonderbolt storyline or about Rainbow Dash's portrayal and/or humiliation? 

For me personally Newbie Dash always was one of my favorite episodes of the series. Especially because it gave another important insight into RD's character and motivations.

My friends thought I was going to hate this episode when I got to it, with her being my waifu and all. And there are LOT of times where she's been hurt one way or another and I ended up getting really emotional. Amazingly, this wasn't one of them.

I can't blame the Wonderbolts either way on this, because #1. They didn't know it was something that could be triggering to her, and #2. She never said anything about it. This kind of thing is classic military ribbing and banter, and it's something you just get used to overtime. It's also arguably a form of affection, like when buddies bump into each other and call each other the most despicable words imaginable. It's also pretty clear they didn't mean any harm by it, since they wanted her to stay in the program despite the mishaps.

Edited by BornAgainBrony
  • Brohoof 2

14 hours ago, Theanimationfanatic said:

Yeah that's true. It also helps that Rainbow's parents don't come off as "creepy" like Starlight and Sunburst's in "The Parent Map". 

• Brohoof 2