Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My evolving opinion on "Newbie Dash"

TheAnimationFanatic

1 hour ago, Theanimationfanatic said:

I don't think that Stellar Flare and Firelight were creepy per say.

Stellar Flare kept lifting up Sunburst's robe to look at his flank. Firelight's behavior was the worst though, he kept invading Starlight's personal space, giving her annoying nicknames despite the fact she told him not to and being generally annoying. I hated how Starlight and Sunburst apologized to them even though they were completely in the right.

Spoiler

image.png.aa74ff67fcf5bb46d3cc08e39139b502.pngCreepy!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nah, it sucks back then and still sucks now, hell, if anything it's gotten worse for me. Just because future episodes have tried to make do with the status quo change doesn't mean the episode is easier to sit through. That's getting kicked in the testicles and then putting an ice pack just to ease the pain, in the end of the day you still got kicked in the testicles. It's one of RD's most important episodes of her accomplishing her goal after 6 seasons, yet they thought they best way to handle it was to treat her like garbage and constantly humiliate her because "oh boy, her ego is out of control, we got to knock her down a peg!", which worked sooooo well the last time they did it, and at this point just seriously comes off as the writers straight up being jerks and punishing people for being fans. Episodes like Parental Glideance, Top Bolt, and The Washouts don't make me appreciate the episode more because they addressed some of the episode's issues, that just means those episodes are picking up the slack and fixing the episode's mess, just like how the prequels aren't better because of The Clone Wars cartoon was great.

As far as I'm concerned, Newbie Dash can rot in a special place in Hell dedicated for shitty episodes of TV shows

• Brohoof 1

11 hours ago, This Whomps said:

Nah, it sucks back then and still sucks now, hell, if anything it's gotten worse for me. Just because future episodes have tried to make do with the status quo change doesn't mean the episode is easier to sit through. That's getting kicked in the testicles and then putting an ice pack just to ease the pain, in the end of the day you still got kicked in the testicles. It's one of RD's most important episodes of her accomplishing her goal after 6 seasons, yet they thought they best way to handle it was to treat her like garbage and constantly humiliate her because "oh boy, her ego is out of control, we got to knock her down a peg!", which worked sooooo well the last time they did it, and at this point just seriously comes off as the writers straight up being jerks and punishing people for being fans. Episodes like Parental Glideance, Top Bolt, and The Washouts don't make me appreciate the episode more because they addressed some of the episode's issues, that just means those episodes are picking up the slack and fixing the episode's mess, just like how the prequels aren't better because of The Clone Wars cartoon was great.

As far as I'm concerned, Newbie Dash can rot in a special place in Hell dedicated for shitty episodes of TV shows

No disagreement there. It's my least favourite episode of the entire series.

On 10/20/2018 at 8:03 AM, RulesofRarity said:

Stellar Flare kept lifting up Sunburst's robe to look at his flank. Firelight's behavior was the worst though, he kept invading Starlight's personal space, giving her annoying nicknames despite the fact she told him not to and being generally annoying. I hated how Starlight and Sunburst apologized to them even though they were completely in the right.

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.aa74ff67fcf5bb46d3cc08e39139b502.pngCreepy!

I got the same feeling with Dash's parents though. I didn't think it was right that she had to apologize for everything 100%. There was some give & take needed on both sides. Dash didn't need that kind of hovery embarrassing parenting anymore. She working on a military base and her parents are treating her like she's still a foal. That isn't right.

• Brohoof 1

The secondhand emberassment from that episode was almost too much for me to take :mlp_lie:,

but those kinds of episodes always leave me feeling the most satisfied when whatever knot the characters have tied themselves into, untagles itself.

Edited by Humanity Is Good

45 minutes ago, BornAgainBrony said:

I got the same feeling with Dash's parents though. I didn't think it was right that she had to apologize for everything 100%. There was some give & take needed on both sides. Dash didn't need that kind of hovery embarrassing parenting anymore. She working on a military base and her parents are treating her like she's still a foal. That isn't right.

They're not babying Rainbow Dash. They haven't seen her in years, and upon finding out that she's now basically in the military, they're naturally overjoyed.

The reason why RD had to apologize was because she lashed out at her parents and took them for granted. She had a valid reason for feeling like her folks were going a bit too far, but she waited until she reached her boiling point to tell her parents to ease up with their support and vented in a negative manner.

42 minutes ago, Humanity Is Good said:

The secondhand emberassment from that episode was almost too much for me to take :mlp_lie:,

but those kinds of episodes always leave me feeling the most satisfied when whatever knot the characters have tied themselves into, untagles itself.

That's what made the episode relatable, honestly.

• Brohoof 1