Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Truth is at least as strange as fiction... China now controls the "moon"

BornAgainBrony

I'm just offended they didn't name it after the moon goddess, Princess Luna. :P

Officials in Chengdu, a city of 14 million people in China's southwestern province of Sichuan, announced plans to place a satellite in orbit by 2020 capable of reflecting sunlight onto its streets at night, claiming it will be bright enough to entirely replace street lights.  

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/china-launch-artificial-apos-moon-181705664.html

2 hours ago, BornAgainBrony said:

I'm just offended they didn't name it after the moon goddess, Princess Luna. :P

You got it backwards, 'luna' is the latin word for 'moon' and romance languages also use it, some with slight variations. Princess Luna's name comes from the word, not the other way around.

• Brohoof 2

6 minutes ago, DonMaguz said:

You got it backwards, 'luna' is the latin word for 'moon' and romance languages also use it, some with slight variations. Princess Luna's name comes from the word, not the other way around.

Stop logicalling on my parade!

I have a strong feeling that would violate some international treaties. Anyway, the idea of lighting up the Earth at night from space... just no! That would be light pollution hell and the end of ground based astronomy, at least in the visible spectrum. :yuck: :eww:

• Brohoof 3

It seems like a lot of money and effort for very little payoff. Personally I like nighttime to be dark. No one wants daylight 24/7. Besides being monotonous, it's unnatural. Night and day are part of the natural cycle of life and are needed by animals, plants and people.

What's next, trying to control the weather so that it's never too hot or too cold, but always a controlled 72 degrees? It's an unwelcome way to twist nature into an average homogenized environment. If it solved any major problems that were threatening lives that would be one thing, but this is pointless.

Edited by Dreambiscuit

10 hours ago, BornAgainBrony said:

claiming it will be bright enough to entirely replace street lights.  

>We've decided that our sun darkening pollution isn't enough, so we're going to put a fuckhuge light in the sky that will disturb various wildlife and ecosystems all around the world.

Why are we constantly trying to topple Middle Eastern dictatorships when the Chinese are clearly the real threat in nearly every way? Serious question.

• 7 months later...