Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Parasitic or symbiotic ponies

ManaMinori

I've been seeing a lot of Venom related congent  on my Tumblr lately,  and while I am not a fan of the franchise,  it has made me wonder...what if season 9 or a future reboot of FiM introduced a symbiotic or parasitic species for ponies or some other creature? 

What morally grey areas could be explored with an evil parasite and an innocent host? 

Well..we got the pony of shadow, which he represent as dark energy using Slygrian as a host or slygrain compassed his energy to create the pony of shadow. Plus the pony of shadow looks like venom..

full.png

52 minutes ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

I've been seeing a lot of Venom related congent  on my Tumblr lately,  and while I am not a fan of the franchise,  it has made me wonder...what if season 9 or a future reboot of FiM introduced a symbiotic or parasitic species for ponies or some other creature? 

What morally grey areas could be explored with an evil parasite and an innocent host? 

Are you serious about this now? I don't think something this morbid would ever be introduced into a kids show. This isn't Halo, you know.

Changelings are pretty much the kid-friendly equivalent of parasites, no?

50 minutes ago, TBD said:

Well..we got the pony of shadow, which he represent as dark energy using Slygrian as a host or slygrain compassed his energy to create the pony of shadow. Plus the pony of shadow looks like venom..

The Shadow always felt more like a demonic pact.

32 minutes ago, TwilySparky said:

Are you serious about this now? I don't think something this morbid would ever be introduced into a kids show. This isn't Halo, you know.

Riiiight. Have you read the comics? From the very first one, Chrysalis splats a kitten in front of the CMC.

Also-

17 minutes ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

Riiiight. Have you read the comics? From the very first one, Chrysalis splats a kitten in front of the CMC.

Don't lie to me. It was never shown that she actually "splattered a kitten". Only implied.

(edited)
1 hour ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

46 minutes ago, TwilySparky said:

Don't lie to me. It was never shown that she actually "splattered a kitten". Only implied.

There's plenty of ways to handle parasites without it turning into "Alien."

Though speaking of Alien... there were these things. I've seen a lot of horror movies, and these plants really freaked me the heck out.
image.thumb.png.40cf24c1709cde456c2e314191877bb8.png

Also, this... could've been interesting if the crystals were somehow alive or something, without it getting too squeamish.

image.thumb.png.97a57e9388ac2f5e1cb0ff868da4cec1.png

Jeeze, thinking on it more, and then finding some speculation about it, maybe we already have our "parasite." Swamp Fever which eventually turns you into a tree, which could then produce flowers that can spread the same illness to others. So, there's actually a virus, bacteria, whatever... that infests your body and then starts slowly altering you until you become a completely different form of life. Effectively Swamp Fever kills the host and takes over. This idea is something that has been done many times from some of the very mild (Invasion of the Body Snatchers), to some of the most intense (Disctrict 9) sci-fi and horror ever written.

Edited by BornAgainBrony

Since it's pertinent, I'll throw this image out here.

1859762__safe_artist-colon-vavacung_pony

Haven't seen the movie but people have been making the comparison for some time and this image is real good

Edited by Toastypk

Hmmm... I don't think a kids show like My Little Pony would be a good place to showcase parasitic/symbiotic anything. I'm aware that the comics have tried to do something akin to this but then they--the comics--were intended for slightly older readers. I'm also aware of Stygian and what affected Zecora, Twilight, and others during season seven though I wouldn't consider that an extreme.

• 1 year later...
On 10/19/2018 at 3:54 AM, ManaMinori said:

Too complex for a kids show. Maybe for season 10. But G5 needs to go back to the basics, you know? Like rebooting episodes like The Ticket Master and Too Many Pinkie Pies :dry:

• 5 months later...
On 2018-10-18 at 11:42 PM, PonSky said:

the pony of shadow is almost like a parasitic or symbiotic poniesOIP.K0cBv2Ah9b4IrP81k8fpiAHaHD?pid=ImgDe

Sombradies.gifand they did killed off the storm king in the movieSee the source image

Edited by Scootaloo90747475

On 2018-10-18 at 9:49 PM, BornAgainBrony said:

Changelings are pretty much the kid-friendly equivalent of parasites, no?

Yeah changelings are parasitic ponyoids. 

Symbiotic, in the comics there was a sort of symbiont that turned Luna into Nightmare Moon. Been a while since I read that and it's not canon but I think it was quite a bit like venom.

Edited by Fluttershutter

On 2021-02-24 at 10:22 PM, Califorum said:

The only thing close to this was the Pony of Shadows, who they unfortunately wasted his character.

I get that, and I think people wanted him to show much more of a threat, myself included. But I feel a lot of his world-ending prowess and level of threat was at least implied.

And not to mention, I read someone's post about how the Pony of Shadows was just the framework for the other conflict: Figuring out the truth about him, and if Starswirl was going to go forth with something which was going to be the wrong decision.

Edited by Toastypk
  • Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Toastypk said:

I get that, and I think people wanted him to show much more of a threat, myself included. But I feel a lot of his world-ending prowess and level of threat was at least implied.

And not to mention, I read someone's post about how the Pony of Shadows was just the framework for the other conflict: Figuring out the truth about him, and if Starswirl was going to go forth with something which was going to be the wrong decision.

Closest thing we got to the villain being right. Stygian was abandoned by his friends. He had a right to feel angy.

• Brohoof 1

On 2021-02-24 at 9:16 PM, Fluttershutter said:

Yeah changelings are parasitic ponyoids.

Symbiotic, in the comics there was a sort of symbiont that turned Luna into Nightmare Moon. Been a while since I read that and it's not canon but I think it was quite a bit like venom.

On 2021-02-24 at 9:22 PM, Califorum said:

The only thing close to this was the Pony of Shadows, who they unfortunately wasted his character.

Aye, Pony of Shadows. I got the strongest Venom vibes from him. Even the behavior of the 'suit' seemed to sometimes move like Venom, and the way Stygian talks about it implies a separate entity that is feeding on him while also giving him power.

Nightmare Moon is a lot more open to speculation. Luna has never hinted at the existence of a creature that exists beyond herself having anything to do with it. Also becoming NMM transformation needing a solar eclipse, plus the way the shapeshifting is depicted, has very strong Wolfman vibes. At worst, werewolves are a type of demonic/spiritual possession, but that involves the entity completely taking over. More contemporary werewolf lore usually has them in partial control even in beast form, and it's less of a curse and more like a genetic trait. I for one, early on, always thought Luna still possessed the ability to become Nightmare Moon if she wanted to; like was a "Super Sayian" form that she just happened to be using for evil purposes. Also, her use of the Tantabus like some kind of shock collar seems to lean towards the idea that the threat of Nightmare Moon is still there.

On 2021-02-27 at 1:41 AM, ShadOBabe said:

Whatever was living in the book that Spike gave Rarity in “Inspiration Manifestation” could possibly fall under the definition of “parasitic”, using her to spread its influence.

Well now we're getting into some pretty deep mojo. Maybe just because they're nonphysical, I can't look at "possession" by a spirit as being the same thing as a parasiite, even if the end result for the host is very similar. I don't think we ever see evidence that the book is sentient either. Similar questions could be asked about the Alicorn Amulet which tainted the mindset of the wielder. Do "curses" require the existence of a demonic spirit to possess the object in question?

• Brohoof 1

On 2018-10-18 at 8:54 PM, ManaMinori said:

a future reboot of FiM introduced a symbiotic or parasitic species for ponies or some other creature?

Well for the record, Venom isn't really considered to be "evil" he's (at least as of late) been more shown to be an anti-hero, sort of like Deadpool I suppose. Though in earlier times Venom was considered to be a villain. >_> I don't think something like a symbiotic creature would work in MLP though, mostly just because of how much.... violence is associated with them. Plus symbiotic creatures are sort of a creepy topic in general, they work good in action-packed hero movies, but I don't think they would work too well at all in a cute colorful horse land. :wacko: