Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

EvE Character Profiles: Other and Character Trivia removed?

Lektra Bolt

Please help me:(

I just went to find a link to some of the art of my character, and discovered something extremely scary.

The section of character profiles called Other is completely gone. I can't see it nor can I edit it. Like gone, there's nothing below Backstory. No idea how long it's been like this.

I had an extensive section on powers/abilities/equipment there, a head canon that is an extremely important part of the way the character functions, and links to roughly fifty pieces of art that I have no hope of finding

I may have a backup of the information, but those links are highly likely gone unless I want to spend days or weeks scouring over 3 years of forum posts and other various sites.

I also had a paragraph of Character Trivia, but that's not a huge loss really. The Other section was as long as the rest of the character information 

I'm hoping this is just a display error for us regular users and the information hasn't been purged from the actual character database, just made inaccessible to us

*goes to sleep hoping to hear good news and for the panic attack to subside*

From what I know, @Jeric has been revamping the roleplay section of the site for awhile now. It's probably not deleted but rather hidden somewhere.

You can try to get into contact with him about it though.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
4 hours ago, Jeric said:

You aren't going to like this

Are you telling me the information is completely gone, even backups? How is it possible nobody took a backup? :mlp_okiedokieloki:

I have confidence in you guys

You guys don't have an old backup to pull text from? Please Jeric, that Other field was as massive as the rext of the fields combined, maybe more so even

Three years of art. I have a backup of the text from where I needed to print it three years ago, but most of the art links are spread all around too much and I actually removed them from the file beforehand. I had no backup of that and relied on the forum to keep the info for me.

If the info is gone-gone, like you can't even pull it out of a backup, I can maybe only find major links but the minor ones I have no idea :(

Do you think the Way Back Machine might have archived it?

Edited by Lektra Bolt

34 minutes ago, Lektra Bolt said:

Are you telling me the information is completely gone, even backups? How is it possible nobody took a backup? :mlp_okiedokieloki:

I have confidence in you guys

You guys don't have an old backup to pull text from? Please Jeric, that Other field was as massive as the rext of the fields combined, maybe more so even

Three years of art. I have a backup of the text from where I needed to print it three years ago, but most of the art links are spread all around too much and I actually removed them from the file beforehand. I had no backup of that and relied on the forum to keep the info for me.

If the info is gone-gone, like you can't even pull it out of a backup, I can maybe only find major links but the minor ones I have no idea :(

Do you think the Way Back Machine might have archived it?

We do have backups of some fields, but it has become somewhat of a dead issue. The entirety of the Character Sheet Database is going to be overhauled anyway. The "Other" Field was poor planning back when it was placed in there and didn't have any form of content consistency so should any upgrades needed to be done, it would have been on the chopping block anyway. Now consider that the upgrade to IPB broke the field to begin with. For around two years this has been a major issue and any and every possible improvement on RP flat out died because of things like this. It had to go. Yes, some people will need to update their sheets (which was going to me needed as we add now fields to the sheets anyway for some future enhancements that are planned). I don't want to bring back the text since it was filled with HTML tags, removed all bbcode formatting, etc. 

I would recommend that people keep a word doc of their character information somewhere as a backup since MLPF has always been a dynamic site and has made changes constantly (whether willingly or not) to elements of the site. Hopefully you will like whatever replaces the "Other" field. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
31 minutes ago, Jeric said:

We do have backups of some fields, but it has become somewhat of a dead issue. The entirety of the Character Sheet Database is going to be overhauled anyway. The "Other" Field was poor planning back when it was placed in there and didn't have any form of content consistency so should any upgrades needed to be done, it would have been on the chopping block anyway. Now consider that the upgrade to IPB broke the field to begin with. For around two years this has been a major issue and any and every possible improvement on RP flat out died because of things like this. It had to go. Yes, some people will need to update their sheets (which was going to me needed as we add now fields to the sheets anyway for some future enhancements that are planned). I don't want to bring back the text since it was filled with HTML tags, removed all bbcode formatting, etc. 

I would recommend that people keep a word doc of their character information somewhere as a backup since MLPF has always been a dynamic site and has made changes constantly (whether willingly or not) to elements of the site. Hopefully you will like whatever replaces the "Other" field. 

I see. That's a lot of breaking.

So you ARE telling me the data is completely lost and unrecoverable? Even just as plain text, the 50+ links I had are gone? Just to confirm. I'm ready to mourn :(

If there is any way to bring back the links and credit as plain text, please do PM it to me? It's very vital. Heck I'll even accept the text with all the html and do the plain text conversion myself if necessary. Please?

On the bright side the character related info isn't gone. I actually found that. I'll stick it in the Backstory for now

Thread done then if you can't recover the link text in any way, thanks Jeric

:(:(

Edited by Lektra Bolt

• The topic was locked