Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why I am worried about MLP Generation 5

Literatel

Rumors are swirling that the next generation of MLP will be "slightly more mature"; I predict that this will possibly mean slightly heavier themes, slightly scarier characters, etc. Perhaps they are making the next generation what MLP was originally set out to be, or maybe they are experimenting with something slightly new. However, if the following reason is behind their decision to modify MLP's formula, then I am fairly worried for the direction of the franchise.

If the creative team behind MLP is making the show slightly more mature because they are trying to appeal more to the unexpected adult audience (mostly consisting of males), then they shouldn't for that reason alone. Bronies/Pegasisters of much older ages than 5 or 6 came to the show because they liked/like it the way it is. By changing the formula to "appeal more to them", the end result is a show that they didn't fall in love with, and many may choose not to watch it. If you're a company and you're producing a TV show, a book series, whatever, and an unexpected older/younger audience loves the show as much or even more so than the target demographic, they suddenly appeared for the reason: they like the product as is. I'm not saying that change is bad, and that change shouldn't happen. I'm just saying that if the creative team are slightly changing the formula of MLP in order to cater to older audiences, then they are almost certainly shooting themselves in the foot. Granted, none of us have seen or heard much from G5 yet; it may be awesome, or it might suck, we don't know. I'm just providing some constructive criticism here.

What are your thoughts on the upcoming next My Little Pony generation. Will you watch G5? Are you looking forward to it? What is your opinion on the probable new designs of the ponies that Hasbro shared? Do you agree or disagree with my thoughts above? Sound off in the comments. :)

Note: The Mane 6 are confirmed to return, however they will only be minor characters, like the Flim Flam brothers or Filthy Rich in Gen 4, and they will have different personalities; at the most, they might appear as regularly as Trixie does in G4. In addition, characters such as Fluttershy (shown below) will be different species as ponies, like Fluttershy, who will most likely be a Unicorn. And here are some of the current designs that were posted by Hasbro:

REMOVED BY STAFF 

They haven't sent out any redesigns since they were released, and with Gen 5 only a couple years away, I doubt they will make many (if any) overall changes.

I can understand your reason for being concerned about G5 being "slightly more mature". But personally I'm all for it! I feel like MLP would be awesome if it was darker. But that's just me. I just hope the Mane 6 return. (P.S. Is there a link to the probable new designs?)

• Brohoof 1

9 hours ago, AveryGamerDude said:

I can understand your reason for being concerned about G5 being "slightly more mature". But personally I'm all for it! I feel like MLP would be awesome if it was darker. But that's just me. I just hope the Mane 6 return. (P.S. Is there a link to the probable new designs?)

The Mane 6 are confirmed to return, however they will only be minor characters, like the Flim Flam brothers or Filthy Rich in Gen 4, and they will have different personalities. In addition, characters such as Fluttershy (shown below) will be different species as ponies, like Fluttershy, who will most likely be a Unicorn. And here are some of the current designs that were posted by Hasbro:

They haven't sent out any redesigns since they were released, and with Gen 5 only a couple years away, I doubt they will make many (if any) changes.

• Brohoof 2

9 hours ago, SageofSong said:

The Mane 6 are confirmed to return, however they will only be minor characters, like the Flim Flam brothers or Filthy Rich in Gen 4, and they will have different personalities. In addition, characters such as Fluttershy (shown below) will be different species as ponies, like Fluttershy, who will most likely be a Unicorn. And here are some of the current designs that were posted by Hasbro:

They haven't sent out any redesigns since they were released, and with Gen 5 only a couple years away, I doubt they will make many (if any) changes.

Ah I see. Thanks for posting this. :)

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, AveryGamerDude said:

Ah I see. Thanks for posting this. :)

Of course. If you want to discuss the upcoming series further (or about anything really, I guess, feel free to PM me. :) Now, everyone, stop reading this and go back to the topic at hand! :D

I plan to give G5 a chance. I'm not terribly picky (except when it comes to CGI :adorkable:

I actually wouldn't mind if the show was for a bit more mature audience. I think that would make it more interesting. As far as designs go, I like the ones shown here. I remember seeing a page with several different art styles and there were some that looked terrible. 

1 minute ago, Phosphor270 said:

I plan to give G5 a chance. I'm not terribly picky (except when it comes to CGI :adorkable:

I actually wouldn't mind if the show was for a bit more mature audience. I think that would make it more interesting. As far as designs go, I like the ones shown here. I remember seeing a page with several different art styles and there were some that looked terrible. 

I completely agree with you. I personally believe that if a product doesn't change, it will eventually die off. (<------- Usually). I am simply worried that this new generation of MLP MAY fail because of this change in direction- I'm sure most people would feel the same way about change. Coming from me, I just hope that the show doesn't change so much that you cannot put G4 and G5 together, so to speak.

• Brohoof 1

As long they undergo the same level of "mature side" as G1 since G1 does have some dark element. But if they decided to make it "edgy" just to be gain adults popularity, then what do you call this community then?  

16 minutes ago, TBD said:

As long they undergo the same level of "mature side" as G1 since G1 does have some dark element. But if they decided to make it "edgy" just to be gain adults popularity, then what do you call this community then?  

I HIGHLY doubt they are going to make it edgy. I'm just saying that instead of a person who doesn't watch saying "that's for little kids!", they might go, "is this for little kids or...?".

I’m more worried about G4 season 9 in a same way you are saying than G5. If something is planned a certain way from the beginning, that’s fine for me. It’s the show’s identity.

I don’t get people who say MLP isn’t for kids and get upset when aomeone says it. We all watch the show because of that charm. I don’t like where the show is going like how they are trying to make it more ‘epic’ and putting in a ‘twist’, and world ending scenarios, more villain comebacks. It’s to appeal to adult fans. 

It feels like when super hero movies go dark and serious to be more ‘edgy’ while failing to catch what makes the franchise charming.

If we want more adult epic battles and twists, we would just watch Game of Thrones or other stuff.

3 hours ago, TBD said:

I already had enough of that with superhero IP's. I was completely disillusioned by it from the very beginning. At the first mention of a Superman reboot, my first thought was "Oh, riiiight, heeeeere we go." What has drawn a lot of us to this in the first place is a REJECTION of being oversaturated by grimdark. There's enough of that on the news these days. I want to be in Equestria, not Fallout Equestria.

(edited)
1 hour ago, They call me Loyalty said:

I'm certain it will be perfect in any shape and form, even the unmanifest.

Judging by your username, I wouldn't expect any other kind of answer. :twi:

Edited by SageofSong

ANNOUNCEMENT 

Do not post leaked images illegally obtained by hackers on this site. They were all removed, and yes MLPF has received cease and desists in the past over leaked images. We also have a friendly relationship with Hasbro and their PR and marketing teams so we would like to keep it that way. Thanks all. 

• Brohoof 2

11 minutes ago, Jeric said:

ANNOUNCEMENT 

Do not post leaked images illegally obtained by hackers on this site. They were all removed, and yes MLPF has received cease and desists in the past over leaked images. We also have a friendly relationship with Hasbro and their PR and marketing teams so we would like to keep it that way. Thanks all. 

I was unaware of this; I was told they were leaked by Hasbro. Good thing you removed them; I will better check my sources in the future.

I personally don’t mind if there is maturity in G5. I think it would make the plot more interesting and have more balance between a kids and an adults show, but I’ve heard rumors about the whole “diversity” issue (basically radical feminism and propaganda, but I highly doubt Hasbro would go down that route).

9 hours ago, Tylad said:

I personally don’t mind if there is maturity in G5. I think it would make the plot more interesting and have more balance between a kids and an adults show, but I’ve heard rumors about the whole “diversity” issue (basically radical feminism and propaganda, but I highly doubt Hasbro would go down that route).

Do you have a problem with "radical feminism" (aka equality)? Just asking.

4 minutes ago, SageofSong said:

He might, but I just wanted to leave this as a warning to not go down that route in this forum section since it doesn't pertain to the topic at hand.

(edited)
6 minutes ago, TwilySparky said:

He might, but I just wanted to leave this as a warning to not go down that route in this forum section since it doesn't pertain to the topic at hand.

My thoughts exactly. Thank you.

Edited by SageofSong
  • Brohoof 1

9 hours ago, Tylad said:

but I’ve heard rumors about the whole “diversity” issue (basically radical feminism and propaganda, but I highly doubt Hasbro would go down that route).

Just gonna point out that those rumors are not worth taking seriously. Mainly because they are only are based on a email in which the staff is talking about the possibility of getting some actor from SNL who happens to be black to voice Applejack. 

6 hours ago, SageofSong said:

No I don't. "Feminism" means equality. When I mentioned "radical" feminism, I am basically thinking of the "women are better than men" ideololgy. Or maybe I'm just an idiot.

Also, I don't like it when people assume what I think. Just saying.

5 hours ago, Sun Wukong said:

Just gonna point out that those rumors are not worth taking seriously. Mainly because they are only are based on a email in which the staff is talking about the possibility of getting some actor from SNL who happens to be black to voice Applejack. 

I see. I'm not trying to say that this is a guaranteed thing, but I am just concerned because of this: https://mlpforums.com/topic/179361-im-even-more-concerned-about-g5s-diversity-issue-heres-why/

Edited by Tylad

4 hours ago, TwilySparky said:

Thanks for letting us know. I'm just feeling pretty anxious about the future of MLP (but not to a point where I'm putting this show onto a pedestal).

But you almost made me cry when you said I might have a problem with feminism.

40 minutes ago, Tylad said:

I see. I'm not trying to say that this is a guaranteed thing, but I am just concerned because of this: https://mlpforums.com/topic/179361-im-even-more-concerned-about-g5s-diversity-issue-heres-why/

Eh, that thread is nothing but people making assumptions based on a bunch of nonsense. The only things they're basing their worry on is said email about the potential new voice actor for Applejack, the possible quality of a completely unrelated show and a second email which I'm convinced they either misunderstood or just made up. 

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Sun Wukong said:

Eh, that thread is nothing but people making assumptions based on a bunch of nonsense. The only things they're basing their worry on is said email about the potential new voice actor for Applejack, the possible quality of a completely unrelated show and a second email which I'm convinced they either misunderstood or just made up. 

Ah, I got it! Thank you for clarifying :) 

On another note, I do kinda get angry easily, but I never intend to make anyone upset in a conversation like this nor do I ever want to start brutal arguments as that to me seems immature.

Edited by Tylad