Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

G5 might get canceled because Hasbro is going the right way for backruptcy

FirePuppy

While the situation is quite grim for those who have lost their jobs, this really doesn't have much if anything to do with bankruptcy. Hasbro would have to be in serious trouble akin to Sears to even go that far, and even if bankruptcy were a thing that doesn't mean a company would be closing it's doors. It would just mean the company is getting it's financial house in order; or trying to at least. This COULD mean worse things down the road, but keep in mind Mattel is facing the same thing at this point; as are a lot of companies.

Relax; I doubt G5 will be cancelled at this point.

• Brohoof 14

It wouldn't make sense for them to cancel a project they've had in the works for a while based around one of their most profitable assets. This isn't good for them but it's been a long time coming. Toys R' Us may be gone but Hasbro sells their products in many other locations and with the success of this show they're making plenty from media production alongside toys. With G5 they'll have the current fans and the next fresh generation of viewers to appeal to. One step back, two steps forward.

• Brohoof 5

That is a very sad state of affairs and we can only wish the best for those who were laid off, but calling this a sign that they're on their way to bankruptcy is an overreaction in my honest opinion. Hasbro is still a billion-dollar company with a lot to stand on, the main issue here lies in the problem with the toy market of the current generation. Even Mattel and Disney are having the same problem because people are just not buying toys like they used to anymore. I highly doubt they'll go bankrupt any time soon, as even Toys R Us is trying to make a comeback. So long as they're still in business, you can bet all your chips on MLP still being in business, since MLP is still one of the big reasons why they're still making billions of dollars.  

• Brohoof 3

I see this as nothing more than a small hiccup that tends to happen due to the change in atmosphere with regards to both certain markets and retail chains. It's best to take a wait-and-see approach before suddenly declaring that Hasbro--or any other company for that matter--is going to go bankrupt.

• Brohoof 4

1 hour ago, PathfinderCS said:

While the situation is quite grim for those who have lost their jobs, this really doesn't have much if anything to do with bankruptcy. Hasbro would have to be in serious trouble akin to Sears to even go that far, and even if bankruptcy were a thing that doesn't mean a company would be closing it's doors. It would just mean the company is getting it's financial house in order; or trying to at least. This COULD mean worse things down the road, but keep in mind Mattel is facing the same thing at this point; as are a lot of companies. 

Relax; I doubt G5 will be cancelled at this point.

For me, I somehow highly doubt that Hasbro is anywhere close to Chapter 7 Bankruptcy. If it were bankruptcy, it would most likely just be restructuring of debts.

• Brohoof 5

I suspected that, just fromcertain ponies' voice actors sound beyond aweful!

I'm suspecting that Hasbro could go into Chapter 7, ponies here are suspecting they won't, but Toys 'Я' Us has collapsed, and no-one really saw it coming, and it is removing most of the toy industry

• Brohoof 1

45 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

If it were just Hasbro I'd be concerned. But this is across the board for all toy makers. In the age of video games and TV streaming, who needs toys? 

So basically, they have to stop being a toy company in order to survive?

I don't think it's gonna happen. Probably some rumor only. MLP brought much success to Habro so there's no way their closing it down. Plus, Hasbro has many other stuff and merchandise that they would probably wanna get rid of worst before even thinking of MLP.

So, honeslty, Hasbro isn't gonna close it as far as I belive. Because they're gonna deal with me if they close the show along with Rainbow Dash.

Just now, heavens-champion said:

So basically, they have to stop being a toy company in order to survive?

Not completely. Toys are still selling in some capacity. Just less of a focus would help. They have to diversify.

They have lots of IPs. Make more TV shows. Get some video games going. Get into the streaming market. Focus more on clothes and apparel. Imagine what they could do if they started making the types of shirts our fandom does. They have ownership of iconic logos like the Decpeticon, Autobot and Cobra insignias. Those are just as iconic as the Bat symbol or Imperial empire logos. Market those around. Heck, they've got licensing deals with Disney for the MCU. Convert their toy making machine into a merch making machine for marvel. 

They have a lot to work with. They just need to know what to do with it all. 

Fully admit that Hasbro (and Mattel, etc.) screwed up here. They assigned a significant portion of their own resources into supporting a single outside company to sell their product. When that outside company folded, Hasbro decided to lay those people off.

And they fully admit that something went wrong with their organization in the first place. The CEO mentioned that there was a significant amount of demand for Hasbro products that they *couldn't* fulfill with their current structure, a demand that should have offset at least some if not all of the losses from Toys 'R' Us folding. I can't tell from what he said if that demand was already there, and Hasbro didn't pursue it because they didn't want to manufacture competition for Toys 'R' Us and push them into bankruptcy faster, or if the demand only appeared *after* the TRU collapse, and Hasbro simply isn't agile enough to respond. He was still talking about 'maybe' opening up additional distribution centers to fulfill that demand, so they've hit step 1) Admitting they have a problem, but I'm not sure they're getting any further than that yet. :)

• Brohoof 1