Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ponysonas and other races- what's your preference?

ManaMinori

So for a while, everyone was making ponysona characters (I don't know if y'all still do it). But with the massive branching out in worldbuilding that has occurred over the years, we've gotten a ton of new and interesting species and races outside of ponies. Cats, centaurs, zebra, Breezies, ect. Horse-famous content creator, Dr. Wolf has a race that's not even represented in the pony series!

But with this large variety of stuff from the show and our own imaginations that we can pull from to make out personas, ponysonas, or otherspeciesonas, what do you think about people who still use ponies as their go-to '-sonas"?  Thoughts on people who are daring enough to go with the minority of other species? Should there be more people who go against the grain and use a non-pony sona in the midst of this colorful pony community?  I recently dropped my own ponysona for a catsona, and I'm not ashamed in it in the least.

Spoiler

catponysona_by_duomochiaro-dcq6gok.png

Ponies are the focus of the show so it makes sense. Also, no other species we've seen has cutie marks, which make ponies special. I don't have a pony sona or any other species of sona for MLP but the species I like the most, act the least like me. (Kirins and gryphons)

I'm fine with diversity and all but I kind of wish there were more realistic representation I guess. It's a bit hypocritical of me I guess since I went with being a Pegasus and meanwhile there aren't a whole lot of Earth Pony OCs. It's fun to see people get creative, especially when it's done well, but I also enjoy a sense of realism.

I made my "Ponysona" early on, when all we had to pick from I think were Ponies, Batponies, Gryphons, and Diamond dogs, if you wanted to be something that'd fit in with the show. Since then the options have greatly broadened. I went with the Pegasus and these colors because I felt they matched my personality and would be unique to me while not really standing out. I'm also not being very descriptive because I've never changed my profile pic and there's a decent chance I never will.

I'd like to see more of what I'd expect when I look at an average group of people. Notable differences, and yet on a very basic level, quite similar or at least not much standing out. Then again the fandom with it's original unexpectedness does not consist of the most average of people so that's probably asking for a bit much. :laugh:

Ponies for me. Pegasus ponies more specifically. Most of my OCs are Pegasi, some are Earth ponies and I only have like, one unicorn OC. :-P My ponysona has always been a Pegasus expect for when I turned her into an Earth pony a couple years ago for some odd reason....and then gave her wings again. 

I have a mix of all three races personally and I find it hard to think of ponies having babies with whole other races even with magic.   I try to keep a sense of realism as weird as that might sound for a show about magic ponies!  :yay:    On the side,  I tend to lean on unicorns for my own sona! 

On 10/23/2018 at 7:22 PM, Khoufu said:

Ponies are the focus of the show so it makes sense. Also, no other species we've seen has cutie marks, which make ponies special. I don't have a pony sona or any other species of sona for MLP but the species I like the most, act the least like me. (Kirins and gryphons)

Ponies may be the focus of the show, but I'm talking about -sonas, which are not a part of the show. They could be anything. I can understand why OC's  might be ponies, but that is a different thing entirely than -sonas.

On 10/25/2018 at 8:54 AM, Nightmare Muffin said:

Ponies may be the focus of the show, but I'm talking about -sonas, which are not a part of the show. They could be anything. I can understand why OC's  might be ponies, but that is a different thing entirely than -sonas.

It's easy to represent yourself with a cutie mark, simple as that. 

• 10 months later...

What I have to say is, to each their own. If somebody wants to make their sona something other than a pony that is fine. I find no problem with the fact that most mlp based sonas are ponies; I mean it's in the name. I just don't like it when people try to shame pony-sonas because "it's not creative enough". Pony-sonas can be incredibly creative and are perfectly fine.

On 10/24/2018 at 6:34 PM, TheTaZe said:

Ponies and Pegasi for me. I don't know, I have a certain affinity with bird ponies. :twismile:

Same, I love Pegasi a lot. They're so interesting, and it's fun to create them as ocs.

• 10 months later...