Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Best Movies Ever

Olly

Which movies do you think should be contenders for the best of all time? Not necessarily your personal favorites, but ones that you think are as close to objectively good as you can get. They must be movies you've personally seen, also

Edited by Olly
  • Brohoof 3

The Sound of Music. Perfect movie making in every category. Great music, writing, performing, humor, drama, romance and even some suspense.  

Star Wars. A classic recognized the world over.

Raiders of the Lost Ark. Like Star Wars, it's a classic of its genre and one of the few movies I consider to be flawless.

Bambi. I often think of this as the greatest movie ever made. Not because it's my favorite (even though it is among my favorites) but because it is simply perfect. 

Beauty and the Beast (animated). It embodies 'classic' as perfectly as any movie I can think of. Sublime music, drama, comedy and romance. 

There are many others I'd like to name, but it's hard to separate my personal affinity for them and look at them objectively. 

Edited by Dreambiscuit
  • Brohoof 4

Toy Story (1995) - If only for how impactful it was. It Changed the game of animation, showed off what CGI could do, and kickstarted a studio that would go on to make some of the greatest animated films ever made.

The Dark Knight (2008) - A brilliant crime drama first, and an amazing Batman movie second. It has one of the best villains ever put to film, and it's one of intense film you'll ever see.

Star Wars (1977) - The one that started it all. Regardless of your opinion on the later installments and the direction the franchise has gone, you can't deny the impact that the original film had. 

Alien (1979) - Easily the most influential horror film ever. It introduced audiences to one of the most iconic monsters in movie history.

The Godfather (1972) - Still the gold standard for mob movies. It's violent, dark, and dramatic, but at its core, it's a story about the importance of family. Top notch acting, and well written drama.

There are other films I'd like to mention, but if I did, we'd be here all day.

Edited by Theanimationfanatic
  • Brohoof 3

Note I'm not being on any way objective. Opinions cannot be objective by theor very nature, so this is a more subjective list than asked for by the OP.

Pitch Perfect 1. Almost literally the perfect comedy. I can't think of a single joke that didn't hit, and almost every character has a sort of charm to them.

Finding Nemo. Even for pre-Disney Pixar, this movie is astounding. It may not have had the historical impact of Toy Story, but it was probably Pixar's peak.

The Dark Knight Trilogy. I can't not mention the entire trilogy here, because all of them are at least 9/10 at the least. Top that Marvel. Oh yeah, you can't.

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. The end to a series of movies (except the fifth) that I think is actually underrated. The start may not have had a huge impact, but the ending surely did.

• Brohoof 2

Here's what I can think of at the moment...

• Get Out
  • Lone Ranger 
  • Rango
  • Harry potter 1, 2 and 4
  • Star wars Ep 3
  • Nightmare before x-mas

Empire Strikes Back: Its difficult to write a sequel that surpasses the first movie. This one does it in every way. It is considered one of or the best sequel movie.

Aliens: A sequel that takes the action route rather than horror like the first movie. Weaver trebly sells her performance as an action hero trying to overcome her nightmares. Also a great performance from the late Bill Paxton.

Shawshank Redemption: One of if not the best Stephen King book adaptations. No other movie can make you feel for what prisoners go through once they’ve been released from prison after being locked up for so long. Morgan Freeman gives one of his best speeches towards the end.

Spirited Away: One of if not Miyazaki’s greatest movie.

Your Name: I cannot watch this movie without getting teared up towards the end. It’s a rollercoaster of emotions that will have you reaching for a tissue box. The visuals are breathtaking. You will not believe it but the movie is hand drawn, not CGI. Go see it!

Edited by Twilight Luna
  • Brohoof 1

I'm going to make a couple of additions to my post here.

Toy Story 3. I just watched Toy Story 3 last night, and I was really impressed. The best Pixar film since Disney bought them out, it's a masterpiece that may even surpass the original...

Star Wars: Episode III. Some people put this together with the rest of the prequel trilogy and that's kind of wrong. Frankly, it's even better than Episode IV or V...

15 hours ago, Buttonmash1973 said:

The Big Lebowski

I was waiting for this because it's on my list too

2 hours ago, ~Dusky~ said:

Star Wars: Episode III

:mlp_confused:

On 10/24/2018 at 8:23 AM, 47216063816 said:

Your Name

would include some ghibli movies but i havent seen them 

Your Name definitely belongs on the all-time greats list. I should have added it to mine. There are many Ghibli movies that also belong on the list to be honest. 

On 10/24/2018 at 11:16 AM, Twilight Luna said:

Spirited Away: One of if not Miyazaki’s greatest movie.

Your Name: I cannot watch this movie without getting teared up towards the end. It’s a rollercoaster of emotions that will have you reaching for a tissue box. The visuals are breathtaking. You will not believe it but the movie is hand drawn, not CGI. Go see it!

Spirited Away is undoubtedly Miyazaki's best.

And I couldn't agree more when it comes to Your Name. It's the embodiment of a movie masterpiece. I still go through the emotional wringer every time I watch it. 

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/25/2018 at 4:26 AM, Olly said:

I was waiting for this because it's on my list too

:mlp_confused:

Episode III is a great movie imo, but even I can't say it's the best Star Wars movie in good conscious, let alone one of the best movies ever.

Personally I'd go with Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Star Wars, The God Father, Spiderman 2, and a good chunk of animated Disney, Ghibli and Pixar films

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...