Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does crusaders of the lost mark hold up?

ManaMinori

One thing I found when looking back with this episode was that Diamond Tiara's attitude from her mom and all the times DT tormented the CMC didn't make sense when you take into account  the episode 'Bad Seed'. She and Silver Spoon actively accepted Babs as a blank flank, in spite of DT and her mom looking down on them. So does Bas Seet retcon the canonicity of CotLM or vice versa?

Yes, it does. Nothing was retconned, it is entirely possible for a bratty child to be impressed by someone else’s bratty behavior. If anything, it makes it more believable that Diamond Tiara would accept Babs, because her Blank Flank bullying was becuase of an outside influence, not something she made up herself.

• Brohoof 2

Well, I don’t know if they pulled it off as smoothly as they could have, but “Babs Seed” already established that bullies might be inspired to act up by issues at home, so I don’t think it’s inconsistent. By “Flight to the Finish,” her obsessive bullying of the CMC seems downright pitiful in its desperation. 

5 minutes ago, Sepul-Coloratura said:

I honestly wasn't impressed that much when the CMC's got their cutie marks. I was like, 'ok, they got them.... well, it could look way better than that.... why they all look the same?'

I think they are in three parts - outer shield is in their three colours, for the CMC, inner silhouette is their pony "type" (magic star for unicorn, wing for pegasus, apple for earth pony) and then the innermost silhouette is unique to the pony themselves - a note for SB, heart for AB and lightning bolt for Scoots; not sure what the innermost is supposed to represent as their "true nature", but the first two make sense given the shared decision that triggered them getting their marks.

I wasn't as invested as some in the CMC's eventual success, but it is entertaining to watch some of the blind reactors absolutely losing it at the reveal (AppleGeek for example) and silver quill's take on it is worth a watch too...

1 minute ago, Cypherhoof said:

I think they are in three parts - outer shield is in their three colours, for the CMC, inner silhouette is their pony "type" (magic star for unicorn, wing for pegasus, apple for earth pony) and then the innermost silhouette is unique to the pony themselves - a note for SB, heart for AB and lightning bolt for Scoots; not sure what the innermost is supposed to represent as their "true nature", but the first two make sense given the shared decision that triggered them getting their marks.

I wasn't as invested as some in the CMC's eventual success, but it is entertaining to watch some of the blind reactors absolutely losing it at the reveal (AppleGeek for example) and silver quill's take on it is worth a watch too...

Yeah, I was mostly impressed by people's reaction. But about their cutie marks, I know what you mean, but it just doesn't feel right to see their cutie marks being a set. They could at least make it look more individual or more distinguishable. They have the same shape with same colors (with the same logic of designing them). The only thing different is the shape in the middle which no longer defines them and what they stopped developing it any longer. (potion making/apples, engineering/sports, singing/magic)

I would have had no complain about Applebloom's cutie mark being a plain-old apple or apples. Or a potion....

1 minute ago, Sepul-Coloratura said:

Yeah, I was mostly impressed by people's reaction. But about their cutie marks, I know what you mean, but it just doesn't feel right to see their cutie marks being a set. They could at least make it look more individual or more distinguishable.

Silver quill has a specific piece on that - they have declared a joint destiny, and clearly, whatever magic force in Equestria hands out cutie marks agrees, as their cutie marks reflect that joint destiny - Team CMC are go.

1 minute ago, Sepul-Coloratura said:

They have the same shape with same colors (with the same logic of designing them). The only thing different is the shape in the middle which no longer defines them and what they stopped developing it any longer. (potion making/apples, engineering/sports, singing/magic)

Not what I see there. AB seems to have a heart, not a potion bottle as her unique part of the mark - empathy perhaps? and Scoots' lightning bolt is more reflective of her obscession over Dashie - which hasn't abated much. SB certainly doesn't seem as MUCH into music or singing as she used to, but given how many episodes devolve into musicals, I am guessing that still reflects her.