Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP FIM Topic Talk: Why Ship Spike With AppleJack or Starlight Instead Of Rartiy?

bwrosas

I mean, honestly,the question I (along with other fans) have is, "What's the Difference?"

Now, one could point out, that Applejack and Starlight wouldn't use any feminine charm on Spike and would be the kind of characters that would except him for who he is, and be down to earth with him.

But I think Trent Osborne (Fellow Fan and Youtuber) said it best in the comments, (which for some odd reason were removed from audio/video on this): 

Love stories are a lot more complicated than people realize. A properly written love story will delve into every single aspect of the character highlighting their best qualities and their worst qualities. This is where Spike and Rarity differ from Applejack and Starlight, episodes that focus on them delve deep into both. Rarity often explores all sides of Spike his greed, his capacity to be selfless, his determination his pride and many other factors, while Spike often has Rarity bring out her own qualities as she will sometimes take advantage of him, or rely on his approval showing her seductive side and need to be approved of by others which are big flaws of Rarity as an individual. He also is the one who shows Rarity the most generosity often which is linked to her own generous nature. Rarity when around Spike usually reaches her most generous and most selfish while Spike reaches his most selfless and most greedy. The biggest thing about Spike and Rarity is they give each other hope and inspire the other to constantly try and be better, bringing out their worst sides often but inspiring each other to rise above it. Spike has changed from his interactions with Rarity he no longer tries to impress her and prove anything reaching the point where he does stuff for her because he wants to, even modeling dresses for her which his pride in earlier seasons wouldn't allow. Rarity has pretty much stopped using her charms to seduce Spike as in earlier seasons Rarity would've undoubtedly batted her eye lashes when Spike commented instead she went on a ramble that Spike actually listened to. Their relationship has changed both gradually and they have taken the others best qualities. Spike and Rarity have a very deep in depth relationship and their episodes often deal with issues faced in a romantic relationship because it has the extra romantic subtext due to Spike's feelings

Now, he did go on to add more, but again those comments are were removed for some reason.  But the overall take from those comments are, just because the show staff has yet to REALLY address this,  and with the potential that S9 could be it, we (more than likely) will get the resolution there, and from some odd reason, (just a gut feeling I have), I feel that they will have an episode where Rarity x Spike officially become an item, however it will be done in a very subtle way, in other words, we'll see it happen, but come the following episode, it will be it didn't happen, but we (as fans and viewers) will know it did (I mean when watch the show, the episodes, while remaining in the seasonal timeline/continuity , don't always acknowledge moments from pervious episodes in that season, unless it's a two-parter or necessary , like in "Horse Play").

But despite that, again I ask , "What's The Big Difference"?  Because if you're going by age difference, same applies to AJ and Starlight.   And also, let's look at it this way, if they wanted to put this Sparity to bed, they would have done so a long time ago, but as you can see from this recent season, it's still as strong as ever.

Also, remember this, Lauren Faust wanted to use Spike as our eyes/POV to see how beautiful Rarity was/is, I'm sure she didn't expect this whole Sparity thing to come from it, but yet here we are.

So yeah, if you more on this, check out my audiovideo (located in the video fan art section of these MLPForums).

But what's you take on it? 

My take on this is as follows, spike has the hots for rarity, not because she's "beautiful" but because of the way she perceives this pony on a superficial level, and it works. He isn't looking at the complexity that makes up relationships between grown ups. But on a very idealistic and naive manner. Rarity knows this, and is able to take advantage of this childish interpretation that greatly differs from mature relationships between adults. While entertaining spike's inexperienced view, but the feeling isn't mutual, because understanding, mentality, and whole lot of other things aren't equal between an adult and a child.

Edited by They call me Loyalty
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...