Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

critique wanted How am I copyright-wise?

ChamberCheck

Hi all,

Just wondering how I am copyright-wise with regards to Hasbro. I am writing a novel featuring horse like aliens in a futuristic setting. They can walk either quadruped or biped, and change their forehooves into hands when needed. They are also able to use telekinesis. Most have wings, but they can only glide and use them to aid in parkour ect. not fly outright.

Would I be okay with copyright as far as Hasbro is concerned? It has no relation to the MLP world in any way, but I know how weird copyright can get at times, as they are pretty much Pegasi in all but name. Hasbro couldn't own the rights to the concept itself?

Just thought I'd ask before I have cover art drawn up and everything. I would rather not, but I could change them to have a hybrid bat/feathered wing design instead.

Here's a sketch I did of the two leads, the main character on the right, and her 11 year old son on the left.

Thanks a bunch.

Nomen and Ambry Sacrum Book 1.JPG

Pegasi are mythical legendary animals and I dont anyone can own the rights to them as a concept, only thing that can happen here is that if the designs are too similar to MLP and can be mistaken as official product that could lead to some issues.

17 minutes ago, Vatista said:

Pegasi are mythical legendary animals and I dont anyone can own the rights to them as a concept, only thing that can happen here is that if the designs are too similar to MLP and can be mistaken as official product that could lead to some issues.

That's what I though as well. The art will be more in the animesque style shown above. More Fallout Equestria than show-style.

Thanks.

As seen in the image you posted there, the design is too similar to fan made content and could be taken down due to you possibly infringing on their rights. I would say to spice their design up more and not having it too close to the MLP design.

Pegasi are from mythology, so it's not like Hasbro can claim sole rights to them. The description you give of your characters themselves bears little resemblance to MLP, so it's probably good. Your proposed artwork however is to close to MLP's and will definitely need a rework.

• 2 months later...
On 10/30/2018 at 1:12 PM, ChamberCheck said:

Hi all,

Just wondering how I am copyright-wise with regards to Hasbro. I am writing a novel featuring horse like aliens in a futuristic setting. They can walk either quadruped or biped, and change their forehooves into hands when needed. They are also able to use telekinesis. Most have wings, but they can only glide and use them to aid in parkour ect. not fly outright.

Would I be okay with copyright as far as Hasbro is concerned? It has no relation to the MLP world in any way, but I know how weird copyright can get at times, as they are pretty much Pegasi in all but name. Hasbro couldn't own the rights to the concept itself?

Just thought I'd ask before I have cover art drawn up and everything. I would rather not, but I could change them to have a hybrid bat/feathered wing design instead.

Here's a sketch I did of the two leads, the main character on the right, and her 11 year old son on the left.

Thanks a bunch.

Nomen and Ambry Sacrum Book 1.JPG

Have you ever considered making up a species name... Doing this Makes your content stand out more..

Few Examples....

Gyro Clops species

Tarou Clan Species

In regards to Style... I will not worry about MLP fan art Styles.. You should only worry about Hasbro Pony Designs directly.

Each artist has their own Unique Style.

example 50 Artist  can do a art piece of Pinkie Pie. In their own unique creative style.

Yes Hasbro owns the Right to Pinkie Pie, however they can not make 50 claims to different unique and creative styles that fan artist make of that character.

Hasbro only owns the Character and the style they hire people to make of that character, when it come to fan art they still own the character however they have no ownership of the style created by the fan.

One thing I will point out notice that bulk of the ponies are all the same generic  shape except for a few tweaks mane tail and such. true they have characters of different shapes Snips and Snali.  those you might have to keep distance from. Granted its not the same generic style however they are Still Hasbro Designs.

Hasbro even brings new species to their world Kirin..

I know how you feel trying to avoid Hasbro. I too have achieved this 110%

Here is how I did it.

I created a brand new world

Many different species

Redone my character designs and more..  here is a link to my designs I published publicly on You Tube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5g-61S5CMwN3rWcPqVVDEQ?view_as=subscriber

Notice the shape and sizes different from each other. The details to their bodies as well.

Plus bonus more new Creative Species..

I plan to release a Novel series 25 books, Coloring books, and more. Publish and earn a living from my creative craft.

You are very talented have a brilliant mind, have a desire and a fire in you heart to get creative. No Doubt in my mind you can achieve you dream..

Focus on your characters plan them out do sample sketches..

Stay away from hasbro designs, do not panic about fan art. Get creative and come up with a style all your own..

Good luck in your journey of creative Success.