Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

No room for the Oranges?

ManaMinori

Did everyone just forget that AJ has Oranges in her blood, also? Back in "Cutie Mark Chronicles", she went to go stay  with her Aunt and Uncle Orange in Manehattan (and seeing as how Babs is from Manehattan also, sh might be  more closely related to them then the apple side of the family.)  They were seen in the Apple family reunion (and at the Rinbow Falls Trader's Exchange and Equestria Games) and it's a shame that they've never been seen when the Pies and Apples get together in many later episodes (and specials). If Grand Pear can be a part of the festivities, why can't the Oranges?

antuncle.PNG

36 minutes ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

Did everyone just forget that AJ has Oranges in her blood, also? Back in "Cutie Mark Chronicles", she went to go stay  with her Aunt and Uncle Orange in Manehattan (and seeing as how Babs is from Manehattan also, sh might be  more closely related to them then the apple side of the family.)  They were seen in the Apple family reunion (and at the Rinbow Falls Trader's Exchange and Equestria Games) and it's a shame that they've never been seen when the Pies and Apples get together in many later episodes (and specials). If Grand Pear can be a part of the festivities, why can't the Oranges?

antuncle.PNG

They are from Manehatten you know how those Manehattenites are. :P

1 hour ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

If Grand Pear can be a part of the festivities, why can't the Oranges?

You mean, their Grand Father? Gee, I wouldn't know why?

Maybe because he lives with them since the events of The Perfect Pear, just a hunch. 

Well, the only time they were mentioned was in late season 1. Assuming they were meant to be in-laws on either side, (remember, until Perfect Pear, we didn't know if the Apples were on the maternal or paternal side) the Oranges may have been retconned out.

13 minutes ago, ggg-2 said:

Well, the only time they were mentioned was in late season 1. Assuming they were meant to be in-laws on either side, (remember, until Perfect Pear, we didn't know if the Apples were on the maternal or paternal side) the Oranges may have been retconned out.

Remember that the Oranges were likely made from a out of universe point of view to contrast the Contry life vs city life the way the saying "Comparing Apples and Oranges" is used. Although, AJ being raised a bit as a Manehattanite as a filly would explain why in S4's Simple Ways, she does a much better job at acting like a fancy pony than Rarity was acting like a country pony just to please Trenderhoof. 

Edited by Will Guide

And I pretty sure the Oranges are related to the Apples due to having a common ancestor a great many generations ago. Like it's entirely possible for one Apple family member to marry into the Orange Family and among that pony's descendants would be Uncle and Aunt Orange who simply don't prefer meeting the rest of the family. That's what they mean by distant cousin on Quora:
A distant cousin is a person for whom, most likely, two things will hold true: 1) his kinship status is too complicated and/or too distant down the family tree for you to calculate, or this status is not even entirely known; and 2) you barely stay in contact and this person is most likely a total stranger to you.

@ggg-2

So, I can't exactly say that the Oranges are technically retconned out of the family if you go with the idea their common ancestor is from so many generations ago that they could very well be distant cousins to The Apple Pearents.

I'd like to think that the Oranges are an off-shoot of the main Apple family branch and are very distant cousins or something like that.

6 hours ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

Grand Pear

I'm not entirely sure but I think he might have moved to Ponyville, whereas the Oranges still live in Manehattan. Aside from that, Applejack's family meetings have often seemed to be more about inviting another family to her place recently, although I don't think it would be out of character for her to invite a bunch of other family members as well. I would have liked to see more family member cameos in "Best Gift Ever," but otherwise these two don't seem to have been very relevant to other Apple family events, and that's not very hard to justify in-universe.