Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

when did 'special' become an insult?

heavens-champion

"When people say special, it hurts my feeeeellllliiiiinnnnngggggsssss!!!" 

Fun fact. I have autism. I used to HATE when people on the internet used "autistic" as an insult. Now it doesn't bother me anymore. When they're being serious in using it as an insult for someone 'stupid', I think it makes them look stupid when there are many autistic people who are actually smarter than the average person in real life, but I don't get offended by it. It's all about how you use words, not the words themselves. Banning, or at least "banning" words doesn't stop people from being jerks and throwing insults at you. It just changes the wording of the insults they use against you. It's like how CNN called Kanye West a "negro" instead of the actual N-word. Just because it's less politically incorrect doesn't make it any less racist and appalling. 

We can have this discussion without petty, useless insults and diving too far into off-topic territory. Let's keep it to that before the whole thread is shut down please.

Thank you.

"Special" became offensive when it became associated with the mentally retarded. It's in no way offensive. Heck, it's original purpose, as pointed out previously, was to be a way to describe them without offending anyone. And yes, this was actually a long time ago. I remember jokes involving special people stretching even back into elementary school, and I think I was the butt of the joke a couple of times because I still wet myself, I didn't speak to people almost at all, and I still couldn't tie my shoes. Which is funny because I was able to outpace literally everyone when it came to multiplication charts.

But I get the point in some cases of similar things. Especially when people use "autism" as an insult in the same context. If you didn't know, this is personal for me because I'm almost sure I have a form of autism personally. A surprisingly large amount of autistic people are above the mentally retarded line, and plenty are actually of above average intelligence (as I am). It's offensive in this case because it's a deliberate attempt to belittle people with autism, and not just a general catch-all term that's meant to be the opposite of offensive.