Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does anyone else think that the 1990s decade was overrated?

AlicornSpell

Does anyone else think that the 1990s decade was overrated?  

40 users have voted

1. 1. Do you think that the 1990s was overrated?

• YES
    • NO

how can a decade be overrated, it has it's ups and downs, it's too broad a time to just see it simply as underrated or overrated, but since i see you're talking about games. movies. etc. i can say that i really loved them in during that era, sure they have better graphics now, and some are great, but i see more and more of the same, so many remakes lately, it's like we get  the same stuff again, i can understand that the next generation hasn't played those games and hasn't seen those movies, and i'm actually excited to see some of those games with better graphics, and maybe even some new spin to them. don't get me wrong, there are some great stuff in later dacades too, there always will be, but that doesn't make the previous ones any less amazing, so no, i don't think it's overrated, but you can call me biased as i have the nostalgia factor.

• Brohoof 3

The 90s gave us some great tv shows, movies, and entertainment. Those of us who were alive then, remember the great console war between Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis. Plus, the 90s didn’t have movie franchise reboots everywhere like today. I have a nolstagia for the 90s because the world seemed a lot bigger since the internet was still in its infancy and cell phones were big and bulky. People took the time to enjoy things instead of being in their phones 24/7. We have gained and lost a lot of things since the 90s.

• Brohoof 4

I think the 90s - especially the late 90s (very much alongside the early 00s, though) - were pretty great for gaming. Aside from that, I don't really understand why they get so much major nostalgia from people, and I am someone who is by definition a "90s kid". I remember the cartoons being pretty good, but I am just as entertained by today's cartoons, to be honest. And the music? The 90s is the decade of music that I can hardly point at because it was just so forgettable. And what I'm hearing on radios that I believe is from the 90s is annoying.

• Brohoof 1

Being the 90's kid I don't think so, I'm happy the fashion trend is being reintroduced the only problem is posers.

• Brohoof 1

The 90s were a pretty good decade, but looking back at them now, I don't believe they were that good. I totally miss how TV and movies had more variety back then, but I also loved most of the stuff we got in the early 00s just as much, maybe even more. I may hate the phone craze as much as the guy next to me (who isn't busy talking on his phone), but honestly, it was bound to happen eventually and it's done both good and bad for the world. Game industry was a lot better back then too for sure, but without the 10s, people who grew up with those games back in the 90s/early 00s wouldn't be making their own games inspired by them today. Not to mention the obvious elephant in the room, no 10s would mean no MLP:FiM. :kindness:

• Brohoof 2

I was a teenager growing up during the latter half of the 1990s so I lived through what that decade had to offer. Granted, looking back on it now, I can say for certain that it was a decade that introduced new ideas that have since become standards of society. It also introduced really weird ideas that I'm glad never made it past the initial stages.

• Brohoof 2

Nahhh the 90s were awesome. The only things I don't miss about the 90s were its politics, events, and video games (Though the 90s had some awesome games, I still much prefer the video games of now. Not to mention most of my favorite movies came from the 70s and 80s.) Everything else, though, the 90s are unbeatable. Though to be fair, we have had a lot of good stuff this decade. (Last decade is a different story, though.) MLP: FiM is easily the best cartoon that has come out this decade, hence why I'm a brony. :D

• Brohoof 2

For a while now I've been finding myself getting quite nostalgic about the '90's. The TV and that was great. Used to watch a lot of children's programs back then, Thundercats, The Girl From Tomorrow, even the Chuckle Brothers. Great comedy series like Father Ted. Half decent films too from what I remember.

The 90's were great but I think it's hyped up a bit much these days.

The cartoons and video games were definitely awesome but I don't miss dial up one bit. 90's music... eh, not really my favorite. I like 80's music more. >_>

• Brohoof 2

90's? The 90's weren't that great. Mind you, I'm a 70's kid, so that colors my perceptions. Most people in Western cultures think the decade they were a child were the best, except for some notable exceptions (say, the 40's or so), because that's the time they weren't aware of the really awful stuff that the adults were dealing with.

For me, the 90's were something of a dark time. The first Gulf War, the Superstorm, the Concordia University massacre, the Oklahoma bombing, Columbine, Cretien, the Quebec referendum, so on and so forth. 

• Brohoof 2

The 90's were literally my first decade of life. Disney Movies went through a nice line of animated movies, the Nintendo and Sega Rivalry would become legendary decades later, and computer games that decade caught my interest and even got me through school with edutainment games from the Learning Company and Jumpstart.

Nowhere am I saying the 90's were perfect. Just that the 90's were as important as any other decade. It's gone through its ups and downs.

Edited by Will Guide
  • Brohoof 1

Back when it was the '90s I didn't think much of it, aside from the nostalgia one has for their own childhood. But my nostalgia wasn't really centered so much on the times. I grew up surrounded by '80s and '70s culture (thanks to my parents), which I really loved and still do. I would have preferred to be around back then.

So, as much as the 1990s weren't exactly my idea of perfection, I'd take them leaps and bounds over the '00s, which absolutely suck.

• Brohoof 1