Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What other show do you think closely resembles MLP?

FlareGun45

Outta all the other shows out there, animated or otherwise, which one does this show remind you of? Or which show reminds you of this one?

Mine is Bear in the Big Blue House! Friendly environment, good songs, a town full of non-human citizens who are good to each other, a character named Luna, a show meant for kids but popular for all ages, good morals... stuff like that!

• Brohoof 2

Well, It depends.

If you mean shows with likable characters, an optimistic tone, and feel-good vibes of MLP: FiM, I would say The Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh, Big City Greens, We Bare Bears, and Wander Over Yonder.

If you mean other shows that tackle complex issues with nuance and subtlety like MLP: FiM, then I would say Star Vs The Forces of Evil, Disney's Recess, The Loud House, Steven Universe, and Gravity Falls.

Finally, if you meant other reboots of classic cartoons that are actually good, I would say Ducktales (2017), TMNT (2003), TMNT (2012), and Voltron: Legendary Defender.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Theanimationfanatic said:

Well, It depends.

If you mean shows with likable characters, an optimistic tone, and feel-good vibes of MLP: FiM, I would say The Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh, Big City Greens, We Bare Bears, and Wander Over Yonder.

If you mean other shows that tackle complex issues with nuance and subtlety like MLP: FiM, then I would say Star Vs The Forces of Evil, Disney's Recess, The Loud House, Steven Universe, and Gravity Falls.

Finally, if you meant other reboots of classic cartoons that are actually good, I would say Ducktales (2017), TMNT (2003), TMNT (2012), and Voltron: Legendary Defender.

Best post ever.

I don't think anyone can top that. :D

• Brohoof 4

FiM does have a number of relations tone-wise, but it generally depends on the era of the show being referred to - the tone of S8 differs substantially from S1-2 and S3-5 to the extent where each of those respective seasons could easily be classed as different shows altogether were it not for the characters/setting and a few recurring thematic elements.

S1 and S2 tonally resemble a prototypical "Wander Over Yonder" with a dash of "Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends" (both of which carry a similarly distinct Faustian/Craig McCracken-esque style, with a generally brisk, lighthearted atmosphere, charming character intangibles and gags reminiscent of classic cartoon material). S1 obviously resembles the aforementioned two more than S2 (which is essentially a hybrid of S1 and S3-4). As AF said, "We Bare Bears" actually also feels slightly similar to the first two seasons, possibly due to the similar way that it handles its content (simple but not 'simplistic', with a ton of embedded subtlety and charming humour).

S3-5 (particularly S4 and S5) are more reminiscent of "Gravity Falls" (due to their darker and more outwardly ambitious/complex subject matter (such as certain themes of the CMC dream episodes, the attempted self-harm metaphor in "Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?" and the two-parters of the era, particularly "Twilight's Kingdom" and "The Cutie Map")) and "Steven Universe" (due to their much larger-scale conflicts). 

S6-7 are the anomalies of the group, due to their more inconsistent styles. S6 feels like a toned-down S5, whilst the first half of S7 features more Butch Hartman-esque comedy (courtesy of the Lady Writers) despite also resembling certain aspects of S6. 

S8 (due to Nicole Dubuc's creative involvement) is heavily reminiscent of her past work (more dialogue-driven with increased dry comedy) hybridized with a "Sofia the First"-like edge (feel free to disagree here, but I found a fair amount of S8 to feel akin to a more mature and comedic version of StF, particularly in regards to the song sequences - I assume that this is down to the show's increased focus on worldbuilding during the season, which is also a focal point of that show).

Edited by Them's Seeing Ponies
  • Brohoof 1

7 minutes ago, Them's Seeing Ponies said:

FiM does have a number of relations tone-wise, but it generally depends on the era of the show being referred to - the tone of S8 differs substantially from S1-2 and S3-5 to the extent where each of those respective seasons could easily be classed as different shows altogether were it not for the characters/setting and a few recurring thematic elements.

S1 and S2 tonally  a prototypical "Wander Over Yonder" with a dash of "Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends" (both of which carry a similarly distinct Faustian/Craig McCracken-esque style, with a generally brisk, lighthearted atmosphere, charming character intangibles and gags reminiscent of classic cartoon material). S1 obviously resembles the aforementioned two more than S2 (which is essentially a hybrid of S1 and S3-4). As AF said, "We Bare Bears" actually also feels slightly similar to the first two seasons, possibly due to the similar way that it handles its content (simple but not 'simplistic', with a ton of embedded subtlety and charming humour).

S3-5 (particularly S4 and S5) are more reminiscent of "Gravity Falls" (due to their darker and more outwardly ambitious/complex subject matter (such as certain themes of the CMC dream episodes, the attempted self-harm metaphor in "Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?" and the two-parters of the era, particularly "Twilight's Kingdom" and "The Cutie Map") and "Steven Universe" (due to their much larger-scale conflicts). 

S6-7 are the anomalies of the group, due to their more inconsistent styles. S6 feels like a toned-down S5, whilst the first half of S7 features more Butch Hartman-esque comedy (courtesy of the Lady Writers) despite also resembling certain aspects of S6. 

S8 (due to Nicole Dubuc's creative involvement) is heavily reminiscent of her past work (more dialogue-driven with increased dry comedy) hybridized with a "Sofia the First"-like edge (feel free to disagree here, but I found a fair amount of S8 to feel akin to a more mature and comedic version of StF, particularly in regards to the song sequences - I assume that this is down to the show's increased focus on worldbuilding during the season, which is also a focal point of that show).

S6-S8 are very reminiscent ofJackie Chan Adventures and 90s Nickelodeon, in my opinion.

Hmmm, I actually never considered the similarity to "Jackie Chan Adventures", but you are correct about S6-8 having a specific self-referential tone and outward 'maturity' similar to a number of 90s Nickelodeon shows (the first half of S7 in particular is definitely pretty Nickelodeon-esque humour-wise, with the door gag in "Parental Glideance" being the clearest example of this). 

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Them's Seeing Ponies said:

Hmmm, I actually never considered the similarity to "Jackie Chan Adventures", but you are correct about S6-8 having a specific self-referential tone and outward 'maturity' similar to a number of 90s Nickelodeon shows (the first half of S7 in particular is definitely pretty Nickelodeon-esque humour-wise, with the door gag in "Parental Glideance" being the clearest example of this). 

The second half of S7 is also very reminiscent of 90s Nickelodeon. With episodes like "It Isn't The Mane Thing About You", "A Health of Information", and "Secrets and Pies" featuring lots of sight gags and facial expressions.

The Jackie Chan Adventures comparison was meant to compare the Cutie Map missions across Equestria and fetch quests.

Edited by Theanimationfanatic
  • Brohoof 1

I'm not real familiar with the world of cartoons outside of MLPFIM, but from a character dynamic standpoint I'd go with Stranger Things. It has similar themes of friendship and love being what matter most, and is witty and wholesome despite being darker and more violent than FIM

Rugrats and Hey Arnold I guess would also be similar with their youthful ensemble dynamic. 

Edited by n1029
  • Brohoof 1

There are shades of Buffy The Vampire Slayer kind in MLP:FIM if you think about it. Both are shows with a cast of quirky characters who tackle supernatural occurrences in almost every episode, both shows feature witty dialogue and writing, and both shows llike to subvert expectations and go against cliches.

Also, in both Buffy and Friendship is Magic, the heroes have to stop an ancient evil that lives under a school.

1 hour ago, Theanimationfanatic said:

There are shades of Buffy The Vampire Slayer kind in MLP:FIM if you think about it. Both are shows with a cast of quirky characters who tackle supernatural occurrences in almost every episode, both shows feature witty dialogue and writing, and both shows llike to subvert expectations and go against cliches.

Also, in both Buffy and Friendship is Magic, the heroes have to stop an ancient evil that lives under a school.

The same could go for Power Rangers and other Sentai series. Sailor Moon also falls here.

• Brohoof 1

Shows like Lego Friends, Polly Pocket and Strawberry Shortcake come to mind because they also have a main cast of six girls very similar in style to the Mane 6. Many share the same voice cast, at least in part, and similar personalities. They're not bad shows but not as good as the ponies.

• Brohoof 1