Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Option to use awards as badges?

Quinch

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or attempted before, but here goes.

Right now, awards seem to be a wasted resource. They are visible, but only if one goes looking for them, whether it's their owner themselves, or anybody else. They also, as a rule, look rather good - things that, all things considered, would actually look rather pleasing on display.

Would it be possible, or at least worthwhile, to add an option for users to, instead of their post rank {or special one, for that matter}, use one of their award icons? I think it would add a greater degree of self-expression, encourage users to participate in events that badges are given out for and, generally, make threads look a little bit prettier.

• Brohoof 2

When I was admin here, that idea was on my list of things to investigate to see if it was at least *possible*, as the award system was brand new for us. Unfortunately, I never did get around to it before I retired. @Jeric's probably got it on his list now. :fabulous:

• Brohoof 3

I do have some built-in visibility options and I turned them on (within reason) to have Badges show under the signature (the ten most recent) with a 24x24 pixel size. Hovering will show a larger image with the message from the individual who sent it (if applicable). As far as User Pane settings I would need to do some css modification, but it would be slotted lower in priority. Being able to swap out Rank Badges (Bunny, Unicorn, Muffin, etc) would require most more in terms of modifying what is passed to that, and it would certainly break during an upgrade since it isn't just theme settings that would be affected. Not only that, but ... ranks are currently being .... OH ... almost let the cat out of bag. :darling:

Yeah, let's just say I want the ranks visible for now. ;)

• Brohoof 2

@Jeric Ten most recent? According to those small windows that appear when we hover our mouse over a user's name, it only displays the eight most recent badges earned, unless you're talking about something else in which case I am being foolish.

25 minutes ago, Ganondorf8 said:

@Jeric Ten most recent? According to those small windows that appear when we hover our mouse over a user's name, it only displays the eight most recent badges earned, unless you're talking about something else in which case I am being foolish.

D4B07F56-FB2E-49D8-9AA1-4262259977FC.jpeg

Also right now it’s only showing event awards and not anything else since I wanted to have some visual uniformity. I have plans for other categories the the mid future 

• Brohoof 2

43 minutes ago, Jeric said:

D4B07F56-FB2E-49D8-9AA1-4262259977FC.jpeg

Also right now it’s only showing event awards and not anything else since I wanted to have some visual uniformity. I have plans for other categories the the mid future 

Huh, this is a neat functionality. I may just be able to get used to this. :-P

Oh, and just so I don't forget: There were some special 'ranks' that I think might be better suited to badges, such as 'Guest of Honor' and the like. Again, lower priority stuff, but it might be worth a mini-project to sort that out.

• Brohoof 2

25 minutes ago, Fhaolan said:

Oh, and just so I don't forget: There were some special 'ranks' that I think might be better suited to badges, such as 'Guest of Honor' and the like. Again, lower priority stuff, but it might be worth a mini-project to sort that out.

2llkg2.jpg

;)

• Brohoof 2