Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

JCKane

So, there's always been one thing that's bothered me about the world of MLP:FIM, and that's with some of the items in the world.  Things like, teacups and other things with handles that just weren't meant for a pony to hold.  I mean, have you SEEN a pony hold a teacup by the handle?  (Pinkie Pie's hair doesn't count :P ) So, it honestly makes me wonder, why would the pony's create such items that they can't even use?   You COULD say it's a visual element but I mean, the show has adjusted items to fit for a Pony, like cameras.  So why are teacups with handles still a thing?

So I was thinking of this and maybe the answer lies beyond Equistria's borders.  I mean, inside we got primarily hooved ponies, Dragons(who don't really use teacups, aside for Spike ;) ), and Gryphins, who CAN use teacups but they don't tend too, and they're not as many of them compared to the pony population.  Yet outside, we got all kinds of various types of creatures, and a good chunk of them have actual hands or claws.   So it makes me wonder, does Equistria import things like teacups from other places outside Equistria?  Or do they just make it like that because teacups were always made with handles before Equistria was even founded?

Anyways, just some of my thoughts on it, what do you guys think of the subject?

• Brohoof 2

I've constantly pondered that too. It makes sense for unicorns and maybe pegasi since they can use their wings like hands most of the time. But earth ponies? They have to use their hooves or teeth with everything. Imagine someone like Big Mac trying to use a teacup with his enormous hooves, almost impossible. I think it's just some human reference that they completely left in the show, but who knows!

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, I have sometimes thought that some of the handles in Equestria are kind of pointless. I think I've seen some unicorns levitate a cup by its handle, but that still isn't exactly necessary. Either the teacups are imported, or what I think might be more likely is that they were imported in more historical times and the style of making cups with a handle simply caught on.

(edited)
2 minutes ago, TwilySparky said:

I've constantly pondered that too. It makes sense for unicorns and maybe pegasi since they can use their wings like hands most of the time. But earth ponies? They have to use their hooves or teeth with everything. Imagine someone like Big Mac trying to use a teacup with his enormous hooves, almost impossible. I think it's just some human reference that they completely left in the show, but who knows!

That assumes there's even humans in their world... granted there are anthros, but dunno about humans.

Also, Pegasus don't typically use their wings to pick up things.. at least too big things.  They use them more for expressions and even handshakes.   Not to mention, with Unicorns, they float the teacup so why does it need a handle?

Edited by JCKane
  • Brohoof 1

14 minutes ago, JCKane said:

Gryphins, who CAN use teacups but they don't tend too,

Where are you getting this from? One may hypothesize that they use them less because they can't afford to make them or import tea for the cups intended purpose.

22 minutes ago, JCKane said:

does Equistria import things like teacups from other places outside Equistria?  Or do they just make it like that because teacups were always made with handles before Equistria was even founded?

Yes, or they copy the original design made by other creatures because that's how they made them and the change in appearance from a standard handleless cup is appealing. There is still the practical purpose that the handle allows you to hang the cup on a hook which could act as an efficient means of display and storage.

6 minutes ago, SharpWit said:

Where are you getting this from? One may hypothesize that they use them less because they can't afford to make them or import tea for the cups intended purpose.

I mean most of the episodes with gryphins show them using normal cups of some kind.  And I didn't say they don't ever do, I said they don't tend too, meaning there's not enough of them that do (nor enough of them compared to the pony populous) for teacups with handles to be made because of them.  also if I recall, wasn't there an episode with RD's friend (forgot her name :/ ) dissing teacups or something like that?

9 minutes ago, SharpWit said:

Yes, or they copy the original design made by other creatures because that's how they made them and the change in appearance from a standard handleless cup is appealing. There is still the practical purpose that the handle allows you to hang the cup on a hook which could act as an efficient means of display and storage.

One of the things I thought about tbh.  Them being brought in from before Equitria was founded... Though I mean... aren't most teacups stored without the use of the handle?

Real world answer is obvious so I’ll pretend to go for an in-universe theory that focuses on handles, unicorns, and borrows heavily on how implements have evolved in society. 

Levitation spells seem to be hit and miss with the rules surrounding them. I take it to mean that some unicorns that are simply better than others. So if you are a unicorn and you are levitating a cup to drink from it and also are controlling the contained liquid, your lack of precision is inviting a mess and a waste. Enter handles of various styles and types. The unicorns can now be taught at a young age to focuse the levitation spell on the handle part only to manipulate the cup. The secondary benefit is that it also allows additional practice for unicorns to refine this ubiquitous skill further and become more precise with their control. 

Since all tribes seem to gather together the style and design may have caught on beyond gradually becoming the standard. 

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Real world answer is obvious so I’ll pretend to go for an in-universe theory that focuses on handles, unicorns, and borrows heavily on how implements have evolved in society. 

Levitation spells seem to be hit and miss with the rules surrounding them. I take it to mean that some unicorns that are simply better than others. So if you are a unicorn and you are levitating a cup to drink from it and also are controlling the contained liquid, your lack of precision is inviting a mess and a waste. Enter handles of various styles and types. The unicorns can now be taught at a young age to focuse the levitation spell on the handle part only to manipulate the cup. The secondary benefit is that it also allows additional practice for unicorns to refine this ubiquitous skill further and become more precise with their control. 

Since all tribes seem to gather together the style and design may have caught on beyond gradually becoming the standard. 

I mean IRL reasons they probably just did it because teacups have handles and they prefer to just leave it in there...

But I dunno.  I feel like levitating the handle only would be harder than levitating the entire teacup.  Since levitating the teacup itself they could set it in the middle or what not and not have to worry about anything.  Levitating the handle would cause more of a problem as it's off center of the item and thus would require more effort to make sure they keep the teacup up right or else it'd just have the handle up in the air with the teacup itself on it's end.

22 minutes ago, JCKane said:

I mean IRL reasons they probably just did it because teacups have handles and they prefer to just leave it in there...

But I dunno.  I feel like levitating the handle only would be harder than levitating the entire teacup.  Since levitating the teacup itself they could set it in the middle or what not and not have to worry about anything.  Levitating the handle would cause more of a problem as it's off center of the item and thus would require more effort to make sure they keep the teacup up right or else it'd just have the handle up in the air with the teacup itself on it's end.

Levitation spells are also able to allow its user enough control to exert torque (they open jars), so gripping is a thing in-universe. Gripping something is usually easier than balancing something while lifting, as there are less degrees of movement required with gripping, and again it becomes a built in training tool for fillies and colts to learn to focus the spell. Of course this assumes that unicorns posses an innate proprioception type essence that goes beyond their own body. Without that control at the level shown on screen falls apart. 

7 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Levitation spells are also able to allow its user enough control to exert torque (they open jars), so gripping is a thing in-universe. Gripping something is usually easier than balancing something while lifting, as there are less degrees of movement required with gripping, and again it becomes a built in training tool for fillies and colts to learn to focus the spell. Of course this assumes that unicorns posses an innate proprioception type essence that goes beyond their own body. Without that control at the level shown on screen falls apart. 

You do realize you're proving my point.   If they grip the handle they would have to 'balance' the teacup as they are griping it off center.  Thus grabbing the entire thing would be much easier.

For example.  Go find a glass with a handle (rathe a teacup or not) then pick it up by the handle. Next pick it up by holding it by the brim of the mouth, or even at the bottom.  Notice how the cup seems heavier when you pick it up via the handle vs the other two ways.  The handle allows for a better grip, but does not help with the weight of the object.

And when it comes to levitating. I'm pretty sure it'd be easier to apply it more to surround the entire object then to grab it just by the handle.  (plus, most ponies actually grab it by the entire object, and not just the handle.)

Some fanfics assume that EQ was in contact with humans in ancient times. This is usually treated like the EQ equivalent of flying saucer conspiracy theories. The usual government reason given is that they're made for minotaurs or griffons.

On 11/3/2018 at 6:10 PM, Lord Valtasar said:

Ahuizotl's ancient civilization had teacups with handles so they can grab them with their tail, and the modern ponies liked the elegant design and copied them

Great in universe answer.

The simple answer would be otherwise it would be unrecognizable to the viewer, because, television show.

On 11/4/2018 at 10:31 AM, Nightmare Muffin said:

my theory is that ponies could've once been humans, which is why much of their items are designed for human handling.

Chariots of the Wondercolts, eh?

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 9:31 AM, Nightmare Muffin said:

my theory is that ponies could've once been humans, which is why much of their items are designed for human handling.

Can't say I agree with this theory.  Seems more random in my opinion with no otherwise reasoning for it.  In fact, it's also a bit strange how in the EG movies they found the human world strange.  Just I feel it doesn't point to it is all.

3 hours ago, sweetolebob18 said:

Some fanfics assume that EQ was in contact with humans in ancient times. This is usually treated like the EQ equivalent of flying saucer conspiracy theories. The usual government reason given is that they're made for minotaurs or griffons.

Possibly, though I mean, there ARE bi-pedaled creatures who DO have 'hands' as seen in the MLP Movie... so I'd honestly feel that's more the reason for it than anything tbh.

3 hours ago, PiratePony said:

The simple answer would be otherwise it would be unrecognizable to the viewer, because, television show.

See, my issue with that is that there are multiple other objects that have been 'ponified' to fit with the lore yet teacups are left with their handles, despite it not being needed.  And I'm pretty sure you could tell it's a 'teacup' without a handle.  If I'm not mistaken, not all teacups IRL even have handles.

• Brohoof 1