Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology How old is your computer?

CandyCorn

Mine's 12 years old! :-D

It's a Toshiba, Windows Vista. I like the PC version of the forums, but my PC is so laggy that takes pretty long to start and to load web pages. I'm going to get a new PC soon, though. Right now I just use mobile to access the forums.

• Brohoof 3

I built it around five years ago, and it's chugging along merrily. More or less, anyway - one of the fans on my graphics card died, I have to leave the case open because a falling fan dented the top, but it's still working fine.

Mine is a frankenstien of 6-7 year old parts and 2-3 year old parts. Why? Because I'm a poor college student.

Only 5 months old. But to replace a virtually identical I got in 2015. Both Dell 15000 series notebooks. The previous went toes up with what looks like a hardware fault, wouldn't reboot after an interrupted Windows (10) update, blue screen of death, but then after getting instructions how to make a bootable USB, still BSOD but now saying "your computer needs to be repaired, a required device is not working."

TBH the DVD drive was never able to format or write any discs (apart from one box of 10 DVD's that wouldn't work in anything else, and which I've now lost during the house move and can't remember what brand/type they were). The battery was failing, then the AC adaptor, would sometimes drop out so then I'd notice it's running on battery, e.g. going into low power mode, that sort of thing. Think power input socket or plug was damaged, due to the typical angle of the cord, keeps getting tugged sideways and been dropped on a couple of times. Then kept getting BSOD: "Cannot verify type of AC adaptor" at every start up, so I would start it up on battery, then turn the mains on after.

Anyway everything works on the new one including the DVD drive. :D 

Sorry that turned into a bit of a rant.

Previous is another Dell notebook with Vista on it, circa 2008, and still works. Used to use for burning discs cos the new one wouldn't. Also got old software on it that I still may need to use, but which won't run, or not very well, in the Win 10 machines, mainly I think cos of security issues. (Prevented from working.)

Not at all sure about Windows 10 at first, but have got used to it now. Mind you I was the same about Vista. Prior to that I used a notebook with XP on it and have still got that. I presume it still works, it was last time I had it on.

:D

My gaming PC is about 10 years old. I built it right after graduating high school, but didn't really use it til well after college graduation. I took a long break from gaming during time. :sunny:

I plan to buy a new one at the end of this year. I want to use my old gaming pc for astronomy video processing. My laptop is getting tired. lol

• Brohoof 1

I rebuilt mine a month ago :mlp_yeehaa:

Got a new mobo with i7 8700k and 32gb of ram with a 1080 ti. 

My older one was made around 2015-6.

Had a i5 4th gen with 8gb ram and rx 480. :derp:

I also have a 2012 laptop but it barely runs. :mlp_wat:

• Brohoof 1

I'm AFK right now but last I checked it was my mom's high end gaming PC circa- 2012. But it was gutted and rebuilt around '15-16 I think? So as far as most of the internals go, it's reletively new. 

The broken custom-made computer in my room? That computer's 7 years old (and it would still run the newest games decently if it weren't in such bad shape). The laptop I use to get on here from time to time isn't actually mine... That one I think is about a year old. 

(edited)
21 hours ago, TwilySparky said:

Mine is a frankenstien of 6-7 year old parts and 2-3 year old parts. Why? Because I'm a poor college student.

I know the feeling... sort of. We live in a fixed income, and there's always a lot of stuff that needs to be paid. My parents keep asking me if/when I'm getting a new laptop because this one has it's hiccups every so often. I always tell them that it'll be fine because it's just being a pain in the rear. :D

I have to keep mine charged all the time. The battery doesn't stay in unless there's duct tape holding it in. It used to be my mom's laptop before she was able to get a new one. I don't mind my current hunk of junk. Like I always say... if it works, it works... amirite?

Edited by Team Clayne
  • Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Team Clayne said:

I know the feeling... sort of. We live in a fixed income, and there's always a lot of stuff that needs to be paid. My parents keep asking me if/when I'm getting a new laptop because this one has it's hiccups every so often. I always tell them that it'll be fine because it's just being a pain in the rear. :D

I have to keep mine charged all the time. The battery doesn't stay in unless there's duct tape holding it in. It used to be my mom's laptop before she was able to get a new one. I don't mind my current hunk of junk. Like I always say... if it works, it works... amirite? 

The battery doesn't stay in? Oh dear. That is kind of a problem. :twismile: