Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology How old is your computer?

CandyCorn

My laptop's a bit over a year old now. It's a quad-core Asus with an AMD A10 processor. It's not quite good enough for more than simple gaming, but I don't play games much anyway. It's worked well for my needs so far. As long as I don't drop it and Microsoft doesn't make a suicidal Windows 10 update, ^_^ I'm hoping it will last me though college!

• 1 year later...

I'm on Haswell and dual R9 290s. 

Completed my build in 2014, I think. Power draw is incredible. Heat output rivals my 500 watt space heater where Crossfire comes into play. The Talos Principle is gorgeous on max settings but I get noise complaints every time. 

I used to have a cheap Raidmax case but my partner got me a Define R5 for my birthday and everything has A LOT more breathing room now. So that's good. Still noisy but I figure I'll swap my GPUs with a single newer one and see if I need to do a CPU upgrade then. 

At that point, we're talking new PC money. :P

Depends on which one, but what I call my main PCis about 7 years old. Technically the hardware is a bit older, but I assembled it and installed Windows 7 years ago. Since then I have upgraded the video card, added more RAM and got a RAID controller, creating arrays of drives.

I have older stuff (like the hardware from my previous main PC) running as servers, some newer servers as well. My game PC is much newer hardware (using DDR4 RAM), but still a few years old. 

I don't really chase the newest. If the server meets my requirements and the price is good enough I can use it, no need to spend more on something newer.

My desktop I'm using right now is brand new, I just bought earlier this year back in January. I've had no trouble with it and it was totally worth it, my old laptop that I used before this desktop though was several years old and it was very slow at running PC games or doing anything in general really. Shortly after I got my current desktop, my old laptop stopped connecting to the internet altogether, so I'd call it good timing that I had gone out to buy a new computer to replace it only like a week before! :squee:   

This one I'm using, with Windows 10,  is 2018 I think.

The other one also with Windows 10,  is 2015.

Also there is an older with Vista on it, from 2008.

Before that was one with XP on it, from 2005. My uncle gave me another one also XP, so same sort of age I guess.

They're all Dell notebooks, except my uncle's one, which is a Packard Bell laptop.

The Vista machine still works, which has my Visual Basic on it in case I have to modify any programs. Part of the keyboard stopped working a couple of years ago but I was able to replace it.

On 11/5/2018 at 6:22 PM, Phosphor said:

My gaming PC is about 10 years old. I built it right after graduating high school, but didn't really use it til well after college graduation. I took a long break from gaming during time. :sunny:

I plan to buy a new one at the end of this year. I want to use my old gaming pc for astronomy video processing. My laptop is getting tired. lol

2 years later: Ended up buying a new laptop for my telescope cameras.

I'm still using my old gaming pc tho. It's really showing its age, so a replacement is on the horizon