Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

2018 US Mid-Term Elections Chat Thread

Jeric

17 minutes ago, Twiggy said:

Surprisingly enough, Texas is a nailbiter.

Also wtf is going on in Arizona. You'd think someone would have told them.

Screenshot_23.png.ccbe3a4927b92b858631bf59234ac4cb.png

Greg Abbott won governor.

Ted Cruz is gaining margin.

Things are looking great! :-D

• Brohoof 1

7 minutes ago, Will Guide said:

I'm freezing out here standing in line for the voting.

Build a fire to warm up!

35 minutes ago, Twiggy said:

Surprisingly enough, Texas is a nailbiter.

Also wtf is going on in Arizona. You'd think someone would have told them.

Screenshot_23.png.ccbe3a4927b92b858631bf59234ac4cb.png

lol

• Brohoof 1

I'm not really worried about which party controls the House. Despite my disagreements with the GOP, I'd rather they control the Senate, where they can approve conservative justices to the courts.

• Brohoof 3

I am so happy that the Democrats were able to take the House. This is a massive rebuke to Trump that we needed. Lots of sad losses, but quite a few victories and a strong message that we are not going to give up!

My state has said yes to an Anti-Corruption measure as well, which I've been wanting for years.

5 minutes ago, Lucid_Nightlight said:

Republicans are doing winning! :mlp_yeehaa:

Depends on what you mean by winning. It's most likely that Democrats take the house, which can be seen as a rebuke of Trump. Although on the flip, Republicans making gains in the Senate can also be seen as an endorsement. Imo an endorsement of Trump's track record of nominating textualists to the SCOTUS.

Overall, I would call the night a draw, but we'll have to wait to see tomorrow to see the full fallout.

Dems projected to take the House, but I do still feel a tad bummed for some races. Hopefully social security and medicare survives this...

4 minutes ago, PathfinderCS said:

Hopefully social security and medicare survives this...

Aside from minor reforms, these are basically untouchable tbh. Many Republicans rely on these things as well. Fucking with them would result in getting voted out of office for any Rep.

• Brohoof 1

12 minutes ago, Twiggy said:

Overall, I would call the night a draw, but we'll have to wait to see tomorrow to see the full fallout.

Yeah I had a similar thought. Though taking a step back I can see the GOP claiming some moral victory here as there were constant predictions by many that there was going to be an overwhelming blue wave. What we see is the more conventional prediction playing out with the House changing to the other side in a mid-term. The Florida gubernatorial election is the most interesting because you now have a curious template if the Democrats nominate a Sanders styled progressive candidate to go against Trump in 2020. Close AF. 

• Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, Jeric said:

The Florida gubernatorial election is the most interesting because you now have a curious template if the Democrats nominate a Sanders styled progressive candidate to go against Trump in 2020. Close AF.  

True, but I wonder if they would do it though. Pretty much ALL polling in 2015-2016 pointed to Sanders being the pick to go against Trump. If the DNC had thrown their superdelagates behind Sanders based on this, the Dem primaries could have turned out differently, and so could the 2016 election. It will all depend on whether or not the DNC has learned their lesson, which I'm not entirely convinced that they have yet.

• Brohoof 2

Sadly, I didn't get the chance to vote. Which is unfortunate, because my votes could've helped the Democrats take control. I'm personally Democrat all the way, because voting for Republicans for me is pretty much saying: "Here, take all my rights away." Sadly, it seems like I'm the only Democrat here. Which doesn't make sense. :unamused:

• Brohoof 1

First, i'm so glad that this election cycle is finally over. I've gotten so tired of all the political mudslinging. It's worse for me because I live in a TV coverage area that covers three different states. So, I see the mudslinging for races in Iowa, Illinois, and Missouri.

Two, Chicago electing the governor for the state of Illinois... yet again.

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Twiggy said:

True, but I wonder if they would do it though. Pretty much ALL polling in 2015-2016 pointed to Sanders being the pick to go against Trump. If the DNC had thrown their superdelagates behind Sanders based on this, the Dem primaries could have turned out differently, and so could the 2016 election. It will all depend on whether or not the DNC has learned their lesson, which I'm not entirely convinced that they have yet.

I doubt they have. Usually the Party masters have to be dragged kicking and screaming to what the people want if there is any hint of a populist message. It took a while for the RNC and GOP Party Leaders to fully back Trump, and many did so because they had no choice. The DNC has the safety net of their superdelegates to protect them from the will of the people and a momentum shift. 

• Brohoof 4

24 minutes ago, Twiggy said:

Aside from minor reforms, these are basically untouchable tbh. Many Republicans rely on these things as well. Fucking with them would result in getting voted out of office for any Rep.

That's really the thing I'm most paranoid and I'm always afraid that both programs will be gutted to the detriment of my parents and many others in their age brackets.

13 minutes ago, Lucid_Nightlight said:

I'm pretty glad to see how well Republicans are doing. This basically ensures our rights are safe.

Mainly the right to keep and bear arms. With the GOP in control of the Senate and Presidency, more conservative justices can be appointed. Gun rights is a huge issue for me and with the national Democrat party moving towards gun control, I feel they have forever lost me. 

Oddly, many Democrat politicians in my state are pretty pro-gun and are more like blue state Republicans.

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, PathfinderCS said:

That's really the thing I'm most paranoid and I'm always afraid that both programs will be gutted to the detriment of my parents and many others in their age brackets.

I believe that a politicians desire to remain in power far outstrips their desire to gut medicare and social security. Any changes made would be minor and probably unnoticeable to the general population. To gut it in the way you describe would guarantee that that senator/representative is out of a job. It's for this reason that I'm pretty confident that these programs are safe.

Rs may talk big on spending cuts, but when it comes down to brass tacks they're not going to do something that will directly hurt their constituents and get them voted out.

• Brohoof 1

What really grinds my gears is that my city has to be so awfully gerrymandered; there's no reason why chunks of the city have to share the same district with large portions of rural Texas which just don't share the same ideologies. A metropolis of 2 million, mostly Democratic, should end up with at least 2 or 3 candidates (each district has about 700,000 people) rightfully representing its constituents, not just one. It's not only unfair and devious, it's illegal. It's not only my district either.

Give or take I suppose, but I'm unaware of situations where the shoe is on the other foot. On the local level these types of elections need to be more unanimous and rightfully representing the demographics in that district.

Edited by WWolf

36 minutes ago, AveryGamerDude said:

Sadly, it seems like I'm the only Democrat here. Which doesn't make sense.

Not gonna lie, I am surprised at just how many people here are voting Republican. Just seemed like this site's users would go the other way. But this one thread with a limited selection of users isn't really a good representation of the site as a whole.

Just now, Clod said:

Not gonna lie, I am surprised at just how many people here are voting Republican. Just seemed like this site's users would go the other way. But this one thread with a limited selection of users isn't really a good representation of the site as a whole.

To be fair, I think most people on here are probably more left-leaning, but I'm not sure. :P

• Brohoof 1