Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

2018 US Mid-Term Elections Chat Thread

Jeric

5 minutes ago, AveryGamerDude said:

To be fair, I think most people on here are probably more left-leaning, but I'm not sure. :P

That was my assumption, but we'd need a good (probably anonymous) poll to really find out.

48 minutes ago, AveryGamerDude said:

Sadly, I didn't get the chance to vote. Which is unfortunate, because my votes could've helped the Democrats take control. I'm personally Democrat all the way, because voting for Republicans for me is pretty much saying: "Here, take all my rights away." Sadly, it seems like I'm the only Democrat here. Which doesn't make sense. :unamused:

You're far from the only Dem here; my friend. :p

• Brohoof 3

1 minute ago, Clod said:

That was my assumption, but we'd need a good (probably anonymous) poll to really find out.

We've had plenty of them. Pretty close to 50/50 tbh.

• Brohoof 3

Here in Ohio, I voted Libertarian where possible. I'm a libertarian - I voted for Ron Paul in the 2012 Republican presidential primaries, and tried unsuccessfully to vote for Rand Paul in the 2016 Republican presidential primaries. But Ohio Republicans tend not to be very libertarian, so my votes for Libertarian candidates were essentially protest votes against the Republican candidates. For downballot races, I voted for Republicans; the city and county I'm living in are solidly Democratic, so voting for Republicans is essentially just casting protest votes against the single party in power. It looks as though Republicans will win the Ohio state government offices by about 5 points or so, but the incumbent Democrat Sherrod Brown will be re-elected to the U.S. Senate.

There was a kind of interesting statewide ballot issue in Ohio, which would do a few things: reclassify obtaining, possessing, or using illegal drugs as misdemeanors rather than felonies, and prohibit jail time until the third offense within 24 months; allow up to a 25% reduction in jail time for participation in rehabilitation programs; and would require estimated savings from reduction or elimination of jail sentences to be used for rehabilitation and other programs. I would say I generally support rehabilitation rather than just throwing people in jail, particularly for personal obtaining/possessing/using drugs, so I voted "yes" on that issue. Unfortunately, that ballot issue looks to be voted down pretty decisively, ~64% no to ~36% yes.

• Brohoof 4

Hot take to end the night. With Dems in control of the House, they will subpoena Trump for anything and everything they can until they find something they can nail him on. He will be impeached, but he will not be removed from office as there is no way that they will get the 2/3 majority support for it in the Senate. This will not happen right away, however, as they will want to wait to use whatever they have once trump nominates his SCOTUS pick after Ruth Bader Ginsburg dies. A tactic to delay any Supreme Court nominations until after the 2020 elections. It's gonna be lit AF fam.

Screencap this.

Edited by Twiggy

Desantis is Florida Governor! :mlp_yay: And Rick Scott barely edges out over Bill Nelson for Florida senate. The Republicans had a good night. :mlp_yeehaa:

Edited by Lucky Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

I'm no Democrat or Republican (I agree with both sides on different issues). I did vote for Ron DeSantis and Rick Scott here in Florida. I really wanted Christine Hallquist in VT to win the governor's race there but she lost unfortunately. It would have been nice to have a bigger voice for transgender people in politics but seeing how this country is still very transphobic now, that probably won't happen in my lifetime.....

• Brohoof 2

County treasure was running unopposed so she obviously won which means Mom gets to keep her job.:yay: And the guy I wanted for sheriff won too.

Oh and we also had a governor come and go without going to jail so good start Illinois. Now let's see if we can get rid of Mike Madigan.:derp:

• Brohoof 1

As it stands it was an overall mixed bag for both sides of the aisle. Republicans maintained and expanded their majority in the Senate while Democrats indeed brought a wave in the House. As for the governor races; Republicans maintained their advantage, but Democrats seriously ate into that margin; including an upset win in Wisconsin.

As for my own personal biases I'm extremely happy that Manchin won (Trump and the Republicans who lied about him can sod off), but a few of the Senate losses stung. As it stands I'm happy Trump will have some opposition in DC and that hopefully the new Dem governorships can help to prevent or stifle further gerrymandering.

That said; onto 2020~

• Brohoof 1

As long as republicans don't have total control, that's all I care about. Still not sure what exactly is going on, but I've heard democrats at least have majority in the house, so yay. For those wondering, I don't consider myself a democrat, I'm just anti-republican. Glad that this shitshow is finally over. Now I can breathe without being reminded of these elections. 

Well, this election I think finally got through to my parents' minds how much of a lost cause our state is. What happened in Florida is very sad, as well, but I can't help but bring up that my state voted for the "kick to the head" with a wide gap of 54% vs 42%. Not even close. My state is just flat out bad, and proud of it. No more putting up with it, I say. I don't know how we're going to make moving work, but it just has to be a thing that happens after this.

5 minutes ago, Envy said:

Well, this election I think finally got through to my parents' minds how much of a lost cause our state is. What happened in Florida is very sad, as well, but I can't help but bring up that my state voted for the "kick to the head" with a wide gap of 54% vs 42%. Not even close. My state is just flat out bad, and proud of it. No more putting up with it, I say. I don't know how we're going to make moving work, but it just has to be a thing that happens after this.

Please don't tell me that obviously racist shit head won...I can't remember his name, but I do remember is plain as day terrible comments. I live in Indiana so I can't say I care all that much, but if people seriously voted that guy in..then...ugh.

7 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

Please don't tell me that obviously racist shit head won...I can't remember his name, but I do remember is plain as day terrible comments. I live in Indiana so I can't say I care all that much, but if people seriously voted that guy in..then...ugh.

If you are referring to Steve King; he indeed won. :/

1 minute ago, PathfinderCS said:

If you are referring to Steve King; he indeed won. :/

Womp womp. A guy is blatantly racist and he still wins. Amazing. Whatever, that's their problem, not mine.

Also, I have been hearing that Trump is celebrating 'victory', it doesn't seem like the complete washout he was hoping for. 

Just now, Kyoshi said:

Womp womp. A guy is blatantly racist and he still wins. Amazing. Whatever, that's their problem, not mine.

Also, I have been hearing that Trump is celebrating 'victory', it doesn't seem like the complete washout he was hoping for. 

To be fair he does have SOME reason to celebrate in regards to the Senate, but like you said; it's not a complete washout by far. Still; knowing Trump, he'll take any victory and spin it worse than a tornado.

2 minutes ago, PathfinderCS said:

To be fair he does have SOME reason to celebrate in regards to the Senate, but like you said; it's not a complete washout by far. Still; knowing Trump, he'll take any victory and spin it worse than a tornado.

As long as Trump has lost some control, then that's enough for me to celebrate.

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Kyoshi said:

As long as Trump has lost some control, then that's enough for me to celebrate.

That I can agree with fully.

• Brohoof 2

Bit predictable how everything turned out, but i think the GOP can be satisfied with the results. Getting a stronger senate was their number 1 goal and that's what they got.

I think it's wrong from the DNC to call this a victory for them, considering they expected a blue wave and instead won the house by barely 20 seats.

I think everything will stay the way as they are.

• Brohoof 1

In the state I live in, Kobach was replaced with a democratic governor but by my understanding enough people had been so fed up with Brownback, (the governor before Kobach for a very long time) that they blamed his failings on all of republicans. Story of all of America right now. To be fair, Kobach was not much of a step up, but I was more jaded to the number of people that didn't care who Kelly was, they just voted against Koback because he is republican. Because Brownback is republican. I believe the internety term is 'smh'.

I don't mind that Kelly won though. Kobach left a bad taste in my mouth and Kelly has a pretty major focus on fixing much of what I care about here so if I could have voted then she would actually have gotten mine. I won't be in this country long enough to see an impact made. Other than things becoming more expensive, I'm sure. But once I come back home I will try to keep an eye on it. It was interesting to see some people here's reactions to their state now having a democratic governor.

1 minute ago, Mesme Rize said:

Bit predictable how everything turned out, but i think the GOP can be satisfied with the results. Getting a stronger senate was their number 1 goal and that's what they got.

I think it's wrong from the DNC to call this a victory for them, considering they expected a blue wave and instead won the house by barely 20 seats.

I think everything will stay the way as they are.

If things do stay the same IE being a total train wreck, then I guess that will be fun to watch. If anything, I can just sit back, sip a drink and watch as everything slowly falls apart. It is like being inside a tornado. You never want to be, but one sometimes wonders just how much destruction happens inside of it.

Indiana as usual gleefully writhing in its own garbage, went total republican so I can safely say as a resident, fuck you Indiana. With a stick. :D