Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why aren't any of G1 through G3 available on iTunes?

FirePuppy

Sure, everything from G1, G1.5 (in the case of Tales) and G3 are available on DVD, but not on iTunes? Come on!

G1 is currently airing on Kabillion, where Sonic X, previously owned by the now defunct 4Kids TV, is also there.

10 minutes ago, Midnight Solace said:

Maybe iTunes doesn't have G1 to G3 because Apple thinks it's old and not many ponies watch it. 

What are you, kidding? Super Mario Bros. Super Show, The Littles, Inspector Gadget, and The Real Ghostbusters are all 80s shows, and they're all available on iTunes!

• Brohoof 1

10 minutes ago, FirePuppy said:

What are you, kidding? Super Mario Bros. Super Show, The Littles, Inspector Gadget, and The Real Ghostbusters are all 80s shows, and they're all available on iTunes!

What I mean by that is that MLP at that time wasn't so popular. Believe me, I never heard of it until my sister introduced me to it. :twi:

It comes down to Hasbro; in the end. Either the demand just isn't there, or Hasbro has other reasons for not putting it there.

On 11/7/2018 at 2:38 AM, Midnight Solace said:

What I mean by that is that MLP at that time wasn't so popular. Believe me, I never heard of it until my sister introduced me to it. :twi:

MLP was very popular back then, albeit primarily with little girls and toddlers. The other classics they listed are boy/neutral cartoons, which tend to have a wider appeal, especially back then. 

4 hours ago, Khoufu said:

MLP was very popular back then, albeit primarily with little girls and toddlers. The other classics they listed are boy/neutral cartoons, which tend to have a wider appeal, especially back then. 

Not as popular as it is now though, that's why the G4 stuff are on iTunes.

On 11/11/2018 at 6:41 PM, Midnight Solace said:

Not as popular as it is now though, that's why the G4 stuff are on iTunes.

Are you talking about G1/80's ponies not being popular in the 80's?

Just out of curiosity how old were you in the 1980's?

Plus I don't think you're right if you're talking G1, hell I remember watching an MTV special once about the 80's and MLP was one of the toys they talked about being popular in one of the episodes. Out of all the toys from the 80's I don't see them choosing an unpopular toy to promote the 80's on a show about what was popular in the 80's.

Maybe it’s because there’s no demand for previous generations of ponies right now. Until not long ago, G3 ponies were in Netflix, but since the contract renewal, they have been removed and there’s no sign of coming back. I only saw A Very Minty Christmas  :laugh:

Edited by Steve Piranha

1 minute ago, Steve Piranha said:

Maybe it’s because there’s no demand for previous generations of ponies right now. Until not long ago, G3 ponies were in Netflix, but since the contract renewal, they have been removed and there’s no sign of coming back. I only saw A Very Minty Christmas  :laugh:

Exactly what I was trying to say. :mlp_smug:

On 11/13/2018 at 5:53 PM, R.D.Dash said:

Who would actually watch it? I know G1 is super rad even for it's time, but G3 it is an entirely different show altogether.

The show still has a dedicated following to this day, I'm sure there would be a fair share of people who would go ahead and buy iTunes copies of the episodes, but I guess Hasbro doesn't have much faith in it. 

I feel like if they would've done it, they would've done it during the "Established 1983" event they did a few months ago.

I just want Comixology releases of G1 comic books man, now those are hard to fine now!

• Brohoof 2

On 11/16/2018 at 5:51 AM, Jordan D said:

The show still has a dedicated following to this day, I'm sure there would be a fair share of people who would go ahead and buy iTunes copies of the episodes, but I guess Hasbro doesn't have much faith in it. 

I feel like if they would've done it, they would've done it during the "Established 1983" event they did a few months ago.

I just want Comixology releases of G1 comic books man, now those are hard to fine now!

I second the G1 comic reprints, particularly considering how challenging it is to track them down nowadays. I acquired my 200+ issues in a number of huge lots around 2013-2016, but the supply seems to have since dried out considerably even since then (and I wouldn't exactly say they were plentiful at the time either).

Hasbro's lack of faith in G1 seems to be a recurrent issue. Note how they produced Transformers Animated, which frequently acted as a homage to the G1 Transformers cartoon and yet never did anything comparable to the G1 show. Sure, MLP n' Friends was cheesy and had a number of clunkers, but it was still a fun watch and provided some interesting mythology (and the novelty of hearing Bart Simpson's near-exact voice from the mouth of a white unicorn), not to mention the corny awesomeness of Rescue at Midnight Castle (it's not exactly rich in characterization, but I actually admire the atmospheric buildup to Tirac's reveal during the first act).

Edited by Them's Seeing Ponies
  • Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Them's Seeing Ponies said:

I second the G1 comic reprints, particularly considering how challenging it is to track them down nowadays. I acquired my 200+ issues in a number of huge lots around 2013-2016, but the supply seems to have since dried out considerably even since then (and I wouldn't exactly say they were plentiful at the time either).

Hasbro's lack of faith in G1 seems to be a recurrent issue. Note how they produced Transformers Animated, which frequently acted as a homage to the G1 Transformers cartoon and yet never did anything comparable to the G1 show. Sure, MLP n' Friends was cheesy and had a number of clunkers, but it was still a fun watch and provided some interesting mythology (not to mention the novelty of hearing Bart Simpson's near-exact voice from the mouth of a white unicorn), not to mention the corny awesomeness of Rescue at Midnight Castle (it's not exactly rich in characterization, but I actually admire the atmospheric buildup to Tirac's reveal during the first act).

Dang, 200 issues? I've been relying on the scarce online scans on Tumblr and old G1 fansites, which tend to run dry after issue 40, with a few scant story scans from issues 218 and up. I was planning on after I get a few bills paid off, I was gonna start trying to collect some issues for myself and attempt to make scans for them. Hopefully I can find a few myself.

I agree with you in there. I've been on-and-off watching G1 episodes. They're fun in the sense that you never really know what you're gonna get with fun little adventures all the time. Just watched Midnight Castle the other day too, Tirek is a downright awesome villain. Better than the G4 interpretation of Tirek I thinks.  

• Brohoof 2

The internet tends to not be that accurate a resource for locating G1 comic scans (as I learned the hard way as a greenhorn collector back in 2012). I did upload a few photographs of the issues I owned back in 2013 (when the collection numbered at 21 as opposed to 250+ as it does now) on an old website ('Everything Dreamer', a Wordpress-hosted domain if I remember correctly) which I was affiliated with back in the day, but the extent of issues I have now (it's been a while since I checked, but I recall having only 18 issues left to complete the MLP run and 21 for the MLP and Friends run)... taking comprehensive scans would eat up weeks, but I'll probably get around to it at some point. 

On a side note, the reasoning behind the lack of comprehensive scans for issues 218+ is because of the duration of each run. Assuming that you are aware that the G1 comic chronology comprises two series (MLP and MLP and Friends, both of which shared clear continuity between one another and basically acted as extensions of the same basic canon), the MLP series ran from 1985 to 1993 over 223 issues (204-223 featuring the MLP Tales cast with oft-hilarious miscolourations of the supporting cast, as the few images of them online will evidence) and MLP and Friends ran from 1987 to 1994 over 51 issues (38 and up similarly featuring the Tales canon). 

As for the topic of Tirac/Tirek, it essentially involves an apples to oranges comparison, largely in that RaMC is a horse of a different colour (hur hur) from "Twilight's Kingdom" - the former is a dark high-fantasy epic with a distinct Dungeons and Dragons flavouring (right down to the character designs and incidental soundtrack) whilst the latter is a more cinematic rendition of an ongoing more character-driven series - G4 Tirek's motivations certainly appear underdeveloped in light of his contemporaries, but both are effective in their own right (although G1 Tirac is definitely the more menacing and memorable of the two owing to his stronger presence - I am honestly shocked that they managed to enable a demonic centaur blatantly threatening to decapitate a baby dragon to bypass the censors at a time when animated TV was forbidden to say the word 'die', but I guess that's a by-product of the bizarre state of animation at the time).

• Brohoof 1

9 minutes ago, FirePuppy said:

Umm... do the comics really have anything to do with this topic?

Either way, My Little Pony is not only on Kabillion right now, but I think Vudu has it too.

It was brought up organically that’s what it has to do with the topic. I’ll allow it.