Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think Spike has ever eaten meat?

SkyPie

Or had a hankering for it? Or was he just brought up as a vegetarian dragon and is okay with that?

Are dragons even carnivorous in MLP? I assumed they were, and that gems are just something they snack on.

I don't think he cares. He clearly can obtain sustenance from the same vegetarian diet as the ponies, and his desires for a treat are gems - I doubt meat, as "not-gems food" doesn't rank highly on his wishlist.

• Brohoof 1

Not sure if they are carnivorous though Spike technically did in one episode when he ate the baked bad which had a worm in it. Other than that he has eaten Gemstones and deserts also Hay fries.

Edited by Dabmanz
  • Brohoof 1

He is living among a herbivorous race, and we never saw him eating meat in the show, so... No? There might be a chance he does off screen, but that would be a big issue given him growing up with vegetarian ponies. Other than that, he seems pretty happy living on pony food and gems.

I have read a few weird fanfics about Spike eating meat though. :-D

• Brohoof 3

8 minutes ago, A.V. said:

Think they taste like fruit to Dragons?

Considering how Ember was gorging on Twilight's castle; I wouldn't bet against that. :p

I REALLY think he should (as a dragon). I mean, he has sharp teeth...of course he complements his diet with gems and seems content so far. I don’t even think he knows dragons are meant to eat meat though...

Now which creature does indeed eat meat? Griffins. They’re part eagle and part lion. I wonder if Gallus has eaten meat in front of the Young 6. Would love to see their reaction.

Hyppogriffs do eat some sort of meat too (at least as Sea Ponies) since Terramar’s mom was offering fish related food to Twilight and the CMC. But that may be due to the eagle/fish part of hyppogriffs/seaponies.

• Brohoof 2

As a dragon he probably has incisors, claws and a natural omnivorous appetite. That's nature. But he's also influenced by his surroundings which is populated by herbivores, so he is probably socially conditioned to eating their kind of food from an early age (with the exception of gems, of course). I figure he wouldn't mind it if he were noshing on a nice juicy steak, but he probably would be just as happy with any vegetarian dish available in a pony-run commissary. I don't think he'd care one way or the other, but could be happy eating just about anything you set before him.

• Brohoof 1