Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What were the 80s like?

CastletonSnob

Great music and TV. A mass of cartoons aimed at kids besides Hana Barbera cartoons. The era of the Saturday morning cartoons. Kids got up before their parents and sat in front of the TV for hours watching cartoons while eating cereal. Computers were just starting to become house hold items. No internet or cell phones but there was the birth of the game systems like ATARI and pong machines. The E.T. video game sunk the gaming market until theNintendo Entertianment System came out and revitalized it. MTV came out to bring us music videos. I miss the simpler days.

Edited by Twilight Luna
  • Brohoof 7

Being born in '85, I recall little of the 80's, but here in Mexico we got lots of 80's US pop media during the 90's.

I remember watching cartoons such as the Thundercats and TMNT and playing the NES as early as 3-4 years old all the way through 8-9 years old. We also got 80's anime such as Dragon Ball, Captain Tsubasa and Saint Seiya at the early 90's.

• Brohoof 1

It was quite the interesting decade in terms of many things. The 80s introduced us to the video game industry--though it crashed thanks to Atari with Nintendo fixing it a few years after the fact--which has become a permanent fixture in world culture. There was also the introduction of music videos, the silver age of animation where it wasn't Hanna-Barbera dominating everything, toy crazes/fads, an unfortunate global recession, MTV becoming a thing, and so on.

• Brohoof 2

The 80's were a lot of fun. It was during the Cold War, so the politics of the day, although still bipartisan, were much tamer than they are today. President Reagan was very patriotic, and he inspired our culture out of the gloom of the 70's. The music and even movies were often patriotic (Red Dawn, John Cougar, etc). Anyway, I remember having a lot of parties, family reunions, big Christmas festivities and lots of presents, and just a lot of joy and simplicity. When the 90's came - less parties, dark music, depressing movies, etc. People were 'cutting back'. Everything seemed to fall apart. The dawn of computers somehow made everything more and more complicated too. The fun ended. I mean, not completely, but a lot changed for the worse in my opinion, especially our culture and our economy.

• Brohoof 1

I think the various amount of ORIGINAL shows and movies (before the reboots come along now) were great. It was an easier time where you didn't really bat an eye at someone playing outside or leaving them alone at home as a child.

• Brohoof 1

I was born in 1979, so I was literally a child of the 80's! I thought they were great! Ever watch "The Goldbergs"? My mom had more sweaters, and bigger hair than Beverly Goldberg! Thank goodness MY mom was sane!

LOL!

No internet, no dvds, but lots of VHS tapes! This will sound odd, but as I got older, my BBBFF (10 years older) brought me to a few Science Fiction-Star Trek conventions! I loved it. I even knew, but never let on, that I was his "Chick-Magnet". He didn't meet his now wife that way, but not for lack of trying!

I grew up with a brother and father that were both avid science fiction fans, so that automatically made me one too! Mom, not so much, but she does like "Star Trek"!

Now that I babbled like a nut, I'll bring it to a close!

The 80's were GREAT!

(The sounds of my childhood!)

I still love "Take On Me"! He fought reality itself to  be with the woman he loved!

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 1

If you wanted to call somebody you did it from your house.

You only watched what was playing on tv or whatever you could find on a tape.

If you didn't know something you asked somebody. If they didn't know you just had to wonder.

This is pretty accurate:

• Brohoof 2

On 11/10/2018 at 4:07 PM, VG_Addict said:

As someone who was born in 1992, what were the 80s were like for those of you who lived through it?

Read Ready Player One for a sense of the pop culture.

At least, I assume that’s an accurate source, given that I was born in 2001.

(The fact that we haven’t been to the Moon since the ‘70s will never cease to disappoint me.)

I was a 90s kid but my older friends have dubbed me an honorary 80s kid. I watch cartoons, play games, and collect toys from back then. The cartoons were more hardcore back then (despite a lack of using weapons, as in He-Man where his sword never directly harms anyone) and some of the toy designs have become industry standard inspiration. What amuses me about the boy market vs girl market is the price differences. For example, MLP new in package from, say, 1988 are generally  $90+ while Star Trek action figures from the same year, new in package, are $10 because they were sold as collectibles.