Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pokemon detective pikachu The Movie

TBD

Pokemon detective pikachu a game for 3DS is about a talking pikachu playing as a detective and your job is to help solve mysteries with pikachu.  Apparently a movie is being made by warner bros and here's the official trailer. 

So here's my honest opinions on this..although I really like the fact to  finally see a real life pokemons and  pikachu ( i mean look how cute and fluffy he is) till he opens his mouth. I was expecting the voice tone to be more fitting to this adorable creature.  Overall I have a mixed feeling about this movie..while growing up with pokemons, there's nothing nostalgic about this movie.  Now I never played the game before so maybe that's the case or because different cultural media.  So honestly I have no words about this movie at all...What's annoys me is how most of the reaction from the people is that they thinks this movie is going to be like deadpool just because Ryan is voicing pikachu. Deadpool and pokemon is in a while different level from each other.

So..what do you think of this movie so far? 

UPDATE: This thread can be use as a review/discussion once the movie is out for May. 

Edited by TBD
  • Brohoof 3

i don't think the voice fits him very well,it's not very pika-like, but i'm all in for something new, and not just remakes for nostalgia's sake(if it's a remake its a remake of something i haven't played, so it's the same to me) also, the graphics look awesome, so i'll definately give it a chance

• Brohoof 1

while I agreed with you all, this is actually the first movie that I feel i can't have any opinion on. I would give it a try but i don't know it will fill my childhood void. It's just so different like sure it got Pokemon but at the same time its not Pokemon? if that makes sense.  So i guess I'll watch it with a full open mind and hope for the best.

1 hour ago, Starlighty said:

Lol, although this movie looks very cheesy I really want to see it... (I love cheesy movies) and YEA i wasnt expecting THAT voice to come out of Pikachu.... 

Considering his voice in the game wasn't cutesy either and instead provided by Kaiji Tang, it isn't far from the source material. Since this Pikachu is voiced by Ryan Reynolds....

PIKA, BANG, BABES, MAYHEM

21 minutes ago, Usager said:

Im interested... we need a change.org for dany devito voice :mlp_icwudt:

Why do people keep wanting Danny Devito to do Pikachu just because of some silly little what if fan video? The guy's never even heard of Pokemon

• Brohoof 1

18 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

Considering his voice in the game wasn't cutesy either and instead provided by Kaiji Tang, it isn't far from the source material. Since this Pikachu is voiced by Ryan Reynolds....

PIKA, BANG, BABES, MAYHEM

you have to admit this is cute

615vu4TNGcL._SY355_.jpg.9b7e425da401506e4c4e922c4d4c4f35.jpg

I never played the game before so hearing that voice coming out from pikachu is bit of a shocker.  Although i think Benedict cumberbatch or Robert dowry jr would have been a better fit.  

This movie looks like a weird mix, but I'm definitelly going to give it a fair chance. Some of the things in the trailer made my hype levels go through the roof, but there were also things that felt just... wrong. I didn't know it was possible to make Mr. Mime look any more creepier than it already is...:sealed:  That face *shivers*

Ryan Reynolds weren't the first actor that came on my mind when I was introduced with the idea of a talking Pikachu, but based on the trailer, his performance is slowly starting to grow on me.

There's no chance whatsoever that this movie could flop in the box office, but hopefully writers have at least tried to come up with a half-decent script, instead of just planning to ride with nostalgia of old fans

2 hours ago, Will Guide said:

Why do people keep wanting Danny Devito to do Pikachu just because of some silly little what if fan video? The guy's never even heard of Pokemon

his work doesnt need to know the franchise or lore, just hear instructions and read the paper according to instructions. 

Honestly, I have a very unpopular opinion about this.

Spoiler

Just cause I like MLP doesn't mean I like all cute things. I hate most adorable Pokémon, it makes me sick to my stomach. This movie, it reminds me of the stupid crap Disney put in Star Wars. Disney put the cute googly-eyed creatures in "The Last Jedi", and I found it to be very repulsive to say the least. Same with this Pikachu detective, except they will probably have cute moments in the movie and will rub his cuteness in everyone's face - heck no, that is just plainly intolerable to me. It would be good movie, but it would have to leave anything cute out of it.

Anyways, that's just my opinion.

Edited by EpicEnergy
  • Brohoof 1

56 minutes ago, TBD said:

you have to admit this is cute

615vu4TNGcL._SY355_.jpg.9b7e425da401506e4c4e922c4d4c4f35.jpg

I never played the game before so hearing that voice coming out from pikachu is bit of a shocker.  Although i think Benedict cumberbatch or Robert dowry jr would have been a better fit.  

Didn't played that game either, but I did see the trailers years ago, and it's clear that type of voice for the mouse was a direction they've wanted to take from the start. So having Ryan Reynolds voicing the character in the film is hardly surprising knowing the history of the material

• Brohoof 1

When it was initially announced that Detective Pikachu was the Pokemon Live Action movie we were going to get I have to admit that I was skeptical.  However once I heard of the talent involved, mainly that it was being written by Nicole Perlman of Guardians of the Galaxy fame, I ended up being curious about how it would turn out.  After seeing this trailer, I have to say that I am cautiously optimistic as I can actually see some promise for the film, despite my initial skepticism.

Edited by cmarston1

So far, so good! I like that it's live action; in the game, they sort of made the humans fit more of the pokemon's style. (Likely because 3DS.) Here, it's pretty much the opposite where they redesigned the pokemon to fit the humans. I think they did a pretty good job with that too, it's an interesting style they've done for their models. I look forward to seeing more.

54 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

So having Ryan Reynolds voicing the character in the film is hardly surprising knowing the history of the material

Don't worry I'm not planning to play the game it's kinda look stupid from the first glance. But the movie seems more exciting than the game. I think because with Ryan's tone, it made detective pikuchu sounds like you can't take him seriously. ( and its not because he's played deadpool).Maybe someone with a more serious tone would be more fitting. 

1 hour ago, EpicEnergy said:

Honestly, I have a very unpopular opinion about this.

Hide contents

Just cause I like MLP doesn't mean I like all cute things. I hate most adorable Pokémon, it makes me sick to my stomach. This movie, it reminds me of the stupid crap Disney put in Star Wars. Disney put the cute googly-eyed creatures in "The Last Jedi", and I found it to be very repulsive to say the least. Same with this Pikachu detective, except they will probably have cute moments in the movie and will rub his cuteness in everyone's face - heck no, that is just plainly intolerable to me. It would be good movie, but it would have to leave anything cute out of it.

Anyways, that's just my opinion.

no I get what you mean, pokemon's design these days are pretty much bad. Due to most are trying to go for in being cute. I like the older designs of pokemon because it makes pokemon more edgier.

• Brohoof 1

Hmm...I'm not quite sure if this live-action movie would work since the realistic Pokemon design looks off compared to the Pokemon games. But I maaaaaaaaaaaaay watch it to see how I feel about it. First impressions are important.

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, ggg-2 said:

A Mr. Mime "telling" Pikachu to shove it. ......Great start i see. Also, "Oh my god!" shouldn't that be "Oh my Arceus!"

That was the only thing that bugged me as well. I thought they were sticking with Gen 1 stuff at first, but then the Greninja appeared so...I dunno.

Anyway. I think the point they're going for is how non-Pika the voice is, and for that, I think it fits well enough. The Pokemon look pretty fake, but it could be much worse, and I expected it to be much worse. Otherwise I'm pretty excited for the film, it feels like they're using the source material in creative ways, which is what I look for in projects such as these.

As for the arguments of Pokemon designs recently. I think Generation 5 was the last generation that really felt like Pokemon and got what made the series so fun. Every Pokemon design told a story, a story about what kind of place that Pokemon comes from, and about their overall behavior. Plenty of visual puns, clever designs and Pokemon that were both cute, and potentially dangerous. Gen 6 and 7 just don't have that same charm or edge to them, every new Pokemon just looks...generally nice? Even the supposedly violent Pokemon look harmless.

• Brohoof 1

Hey I'm for this!   Growing up with pokemon long as I have and playing the games,  this is a nice change to see!  It looks corny as hell,  making it even better in my book!

• Brohoof 1

21 minutes ago, Tao said:

Hey I'm for this!   Growing up with pokemon long as I have and playing the games,  this is a nice change to see!  It looks corny as hell,  making it even better in my book!

For real. Not a fan of live action with CGI anthro characters, too many shitty ones, but somehow this one works. This is clearly a movie that doesn’t takes itself too seriously, and they do a good job in selling the main character’s charisma and self awareness. Ryan Reinolds as ever wins everyone over with his charisma

• Brohoof 1

I thought this would be a more popular opinion after watching the trailer, but apparently not:

I'm not impressed. Most of the characters seem like they'll be throwaways aside from Tim and Pikachu... Although I do appreciate the somewhat sarcastic and gruff tone's stark contrast to Pikachu's outward appearance, I'm not sold on the voicing. I think it goes a bit too far, and not to mention that I already see unfunny attempts at humor here (well the Mr. Mime bit was kind of funny). I also have to say that I would have greatly preferred it if the Pokémon were animated in a way that's less... realistic and borderline disgusting? I know that would be a weird contrast, but honestly I think that would work better here anyways. Also, Tim just seems stereotypical to me. Just the "Adult that acts too mature for kid things, but secretly embraces them" trope. Nothing more and nothing less. Nonetheless, would I consider giving this a watch? Uh... Maybe? The movie to me seems to take itself a little too seriously considering it's a live action movie about Pokémon... Seems like it will work in the box office, but will probably receive fairly mixed reception.

• Brohoof 1

This is the third time I’ve been excited for anything Pokémon-related since I grew apart from the IP since mid-G4 (Pocket Monster’s, not poneh’s :catface:). The other two were seeing a Manaphy plushie at Toys ‘r Us a year ago (I wanted one since G4), and having the option of choosing the girl as the Pokémon Trainer in Ultimate (I remember being upset they didn’t do that in Brawl :dash:)