Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Was your internet ever locked down as a kid?

MangoFoalix

Here is an interesting topic. I've heard stories of children being locked out of most sites due to their parents putting up a filter to block most sites.

My question is have any of you ever had this happen to you? I never got that myself due to my father thinking it was necessary. I honestly thank him for that too since I wouldn't be so deep into the internet like I am now. :muffins:

• Brohoof 4

Every single site was blocked for me except Khan Academy until I was 12. And, even then, some plugins for KA were blocked because they weren’t on site.

I don’t recall the circumstances surrounding the removal of the filter.

No.
Because when it came to us getting internet, we were very late for the party, and when we got it I was old enough that my parents trusted me....and they probably wouldn't have been able to put blocks anyways since to this day they don't really know how to use any special features like that :P 

Edited by Catpone Cerberus
  • Brohoof 3

yeah, i had my internet blocked, but my dad didnt understand that it also was blocking false positives and removed it a year or so later

• Brohoof 1

I didn't even get access to internet until I was 18. My brother, however, was originally blocked pretty heavily. We had put a filter on that blocked most websites for one reason or another. It's not like we went out of our way to block specific sites but it limited him to places like Cartoon Network's website and Youtube.

• Brohoof 1

Heh. The internet didn't exist when I was a kid. I guess there were BBS's starting when I was 16 or so, but they were more annoying than useful. The long-distance charges to get to anything worthwhile was painful enough.

So no, my parents didn't have the option to lock down my 'internet' access. ;)

• Brohoof 2

By the time my family got access to the internet, I was already eighteen though I had been using the net on occasion when I was in high school.

1 hour ago, Midnight Solace said:

My parents never let me use their Internet, so I bought my own router.

Even with that, you need to have them pay for the internet or you get nothing.

The internet was much more of a luxury when I was a child, with high-speed internet only really becoming the thing when I was a teenager. So I don't think child-prevention mechanisms were as sophisticated back then as they are now. I don't know, though. I wasn't allowed to use the internet at all until the late 90s. I was never locked out of anything, my parents weren't worried about me. The only thing was that I wasn't allowed to join forums until I was 14. Hard to believe there was several years of me browsing the internet without joining forums!

• Brohoof 1

No internet while I was growing up till it was first introduced to me at the age of 10 i think...but that was when I was mainly using the school or the library's internet.  

Edited by TBD
  • Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, Midnight Solace said:

No, I pay for it. I have my own job and stuff. :twi:

My parents are assholes.

I thought considering you are like 15 or 16 that you wouldn't be paying for it. Fair enough