Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Was your internet ever locked down as a kid?

MangoFoalix

4 minutes ago, TwilySparky said:

I thought considering you are like 15 or 16 that you wouldn't be paying for it. Fair enough

In Australia you can get a job when you're at least 15 years old. Maybe it's different where you live, and you can't earn money when you're that young? :mlp_huh:

Just now, Midnight Solace said:

In Australia you can get a job when you're at least 15 years old. Maybe it's different where you live, and you can't earn money when you're that young? :mlp_huh:

You can, but it's heavily restricted until you are 18 in the states.

Yes interesting question.

As Twilight Luna, Internet didin't exist yet when I was a kid. :D

Nearest equiv. tho, would be television. Some parents probably did prevent their kids watching certain programs. Tho my dad was pretty easy going about it most of the time as far as I can recall.

There was quite a bit of snobbery when ITV (the independent channel) came online, I mean, advertising, how common and dreadful! :mlp_laugh:

Yeah some people would only want to watch the BBC, and probably tried to get TV's that weren't able to get ITV.

My dad told me once that when he was a kid, it was Mickey Mouse and suchlike cartoons at the Saturday morning cinema, that were frowned upon by the older generations. In fact he said one morning their headmaster give them all a lecture in morning assembly, about how he doesn't want to hear about anyone from his school being seen coming out of the cinema after watching "that rubbish", especially if still wearing the school uniform. I'm not making it up.

EDIT: oh and comics.

Edited by Tropical Melody
  • Brohoof 2

I didn't get internet access at home til I was around 10 or 11. It was really crappy dial up, so even if I wanted to look at bad stuff, it wasn't gonna load in time before the telephone rang. :laugh:

Regardless, my mother never put up a filter or anything.

• Brohoof 1

Nope. To be fair, I don't think they really gave much thought about the web or cared about the internet in general. Pre-youtube/facebook/smartphone days were a different time for the web. The only stipulations were not revealing personal information and not infecting the PC with a virus.

Shockingly, even with the kind of family I grew up with, I did not have to worry about that. All I ever got was my dad randomly, on the off-hand, going, "Hey! What are all these weird sites you kids have been visiting?", and just having to answer in response that we didn't know and it was just pop-ups. My parents never knew too much about computers. 

When I was a teenager, my parents forbid me from using the internet as well as my cell phone past 10:00pm. It really frustrated me and I remember always arguing with my mom about it.

I just want to thank the OP so much for reminding me that the internet we know today, didn't exist when I was a kid. I was born in 1979!

Argh! I'm too old for the question to apply!

I got my first computer for my 19th birthday! (OMG, 20 years ago!) I had my own PHONE line, and paid for my DIAL-UP myself! The computer was a Protiva (Who?) from Home Shopping Club. When it was on the TV, my mom said

"Do you want that for your birthday?"  I said "Oh wow, yes!"

Mom asked my dad if it was a good deal.

He said yes and ordered it right up!

Computer, printer, 18 inch boxy picture tube monitor, amplified speakers, and something like 20 software CDs, for one thousand dollars.

It had a gigantic TEN GB hard drive, and ran at 700 Mhz. Actually, that was impressive for the time. Ten GB was the biggest hard drive on the market then. 1 Ghz processors didn't hit the market for a couple more years!

It arrived mid January. I knew it was there, and looked at the boxes every day.

I WAS NOT allowed to touch it until February 1st, my actual birthday! It gave me time to pick out a nice desk and comfy office chair to set up a work station in my bedroom.

Edited by cuteycindyhoney

Well, I didn't own an actual computer until I was 12 or 13, as I always had to share a single one with the rest of my family prior to that. At that point, my parents trusted me enough to not lock any sites, so I didn't have many issues in regards to that.

Edited by Cash In

It's very important to have safe features enabled for kids when it comes to using the Internet so they don't get traumatized by explicit content from certain sources.

As for me, I don't remember my Internet getting locked that much several years ago.

• Brohoof 1

They didn't know how to block sites, but even if they did, I would have found a way around it. What they did was simply stop me from using the computer... because growing up we only had one PC everyone used, I certainly never had my own. It happened because my mom was over protective and didn't want me talking to people online, but since I had few if any friends in real life, I resented the whole thing quite a bit. 

My family got internet when I was about 12 around 2000. It was AOL dial-up with it's own program/browser. My dad put the parental control option on. I figured out pretty quick to use the AOL program to log on, and then just use internet explorer which was unaffected. I didn't do anything bad online, the AOL parental thing just annoyingly blocked the stupidest stuff.

The funny thing about the dial-up was that if my mom was on the phone, you could hear the phone conversation through the modem as it was getting ready to dial. As soon as the modem started dialing you could hear her yelling through the modem that she was on the phone . :laugh: So it could kinda be blocked that way too!

Edited by Cirrus.

• 1 year later...

No, but when I was a young kid we didn't have a computer let alone internet and when we got a computer in 2000 we only had dial up internet where you paid by the minute when using it so use of it was limited due to cost.

To be honest though a world with less internet was better than the world we have today where the internet dominates everything.

No, I didn't use the internet as a kid simply because I didnt have a computer or phone. I played outside and used my imagination. I'm glad I was raised without technology.